Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

3.7

on 12/28/2018 7:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

For $100 (CAD) product this vitamin c serum has been extremely disappointing. I have used the Ole Henriksen Truth serum and Philosophy Turbo Booster C powder and I noticed results with both. I noticed the best results with the Philosophy one. The Philosophy booster C powder gave me radiant skin! I didn't notice any results with the Drunk Elephant serum after using a whole bottle. My skin became dull and it looked like I wasn't using any vitamin c serum while I was using this. I didn't like how the serum is orange coloured since that makes it difficult to tell if the serum has oxidized. I also noticed the serum turned a darker shade of orange after 3 months of use, which is very disappointing considering the air tight opaque bottle and I store it in the medicine cabinet. I noticed a huge improvement in 2 days after I went back to my Philosophy booster C powder and that only cost me $50 compared to $100 and it has a longer shelf life since it's in a powder form. I feel like Drunk elephant is a over hyped brand and I have better results with The Ordinary and drugstore products. Overall, this product didn't hurt my skin but it did absolutely nothing. I have used vitamin c serums daily for close to 2 years now. This product couldn't even maintain the results of previous vitamin c serums/powder, which shows how ineffective the formulation is for me.

on 12/12/2018 10:00:00 PM

If I had to pick one DE product that I can't live without, this would be it. At $80, you get 30 ml or 1 fluid ounce. The one thing I don't like about it is the price point, but this product is very good and is the most effective vitamin C serum I've ever used. I've tried a few before this, but this fades my hyper-pigmentation and acne scarring in 1-2 weeks. It comes in a pump bottle and is designed in a way where you can get every last drop out, so nothing goes to waste. Some criticisms about this product that I've seen is how it might cause discoloration, but I don't find that to be an issue. I use very little at a time and only apply at night onto certain problem areas of my face. The issue that I find with vitamin C is that it's very difficult to stabilize. The CosRx Triple C Lightning Liquid and the Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin C serum have drop bottles, but the product changes color rapidly as the vitamin C serum is exposed to air. A lot of people mention maybe putting it in the fridge, but I don't like spending money only to have the effectiveness of the product be diminished as soon as I open it. The greatest thing about the C-Firma Day serum is that the air-tight packaging allows for the vitamin C to REMAIN stable and effective. It earns a permanent spot on my counter because I see major results when I use it. No more dark marks!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I bought into the DE hype and decided to try this serum along with a couple of other DE products. I say save your money and skip this one. I've used several Vitamin C serums and this is my least favorite. I haven't had any negative reactions to it, but due to the fact that this is oil based it makes my skin very shiny and a bit sticky. I also don't love the packaging. When I spend this much I want packaging that looks and feels elegant and this looks and feels like it's for children. The pump doesn't even work that well and causes a bit of a mess. There are water based serums at the same concentrations available for much less that work better for me. As far as the scent, this smells the same as every other vitamin C serum I've tried. All Vitamin C seems to smell a bit funky, but it goes away once dried.

on 11/8/2018 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. It did absolutely nothing for my skin, and oxidized to a dark amber color within 2 weeks (!) This serum also smells horrible and left a lingering unpleasant odor on my skin during the day. Would not recommend.

Pros:
none

Cons:
No visible change in my skin
Crazy fast oxidation
Smells terrible IMO (and leaves a lingering scent)
Price

on 6/22/2018 10:33:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This has been the one product that has saved my pitted acne scars and discolouration. I have been using this for a month now and my facialist was so amazed when she saw me 2 weeks after I started using this product.

Skin now has great tone and this is help fading any hyper pigmentation and lessening the depths of any pitted scars.

Expensive but a beautiful formulation. I find I need nothing else!

on 4/25/2018 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I recently repurchased this for the 3rd time. The new packaging is much better than the old packaging. Now it's a twist top pump which I find it much more convenient & neater than how it was previously. The product itself is easily my favorite part of my skincare routine.

A thin orange serum packed full of vitamin c + other great skincare ingredients. While the $80 price tag for 1fl oz is pretty steep, there's nothing on the ingredients list that I find questionable. My skin drinks this stuff up. I love how it makes my face appear brighter. I've been using this in conjunction with the Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47 in the morning & my skin went from terrible to good within a week. I've heard so many people say that this product helped fade old acne scarring. It's helping me in that department too.

This product gets so much hate because it's expensive. Sure there are cheaper vitamin C serums out there. But people opt to buy pricier things all the time even though there are more affordable alternatives. If you're able & willing, there's nothing wrong with treating yourself. If you can't then that's absolutely understandable. If you wish you could... you'll get there one day! If you can afford high-end skincare but don't want to spend your money on it... fantastic! That doesn't change the fact that this is an excellent serum.

on 4/22/2018 4:46:00 AM

It is a well formulated vitamin C serum with good ingredients and nice packaging, BUT (as with every single product in the Drunk Elephant range) you can find WAY cheaper products that are just as effective as this for like half the price. So while not saying it's a bad product, having purchased the entire Drunk Elephant range I haven't seen the slightest improvement in my skin vs. my previous skincare routine (which was mainly based on Paula's Choice and Trilogy sensitive range) so I won't repurchase any of their products.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I’m on my second bottle and I absolutely love it! No irritation. It really helps with evening skin tone and I feel like it gives me a little bit of a glow.

The Drunk Elephant C Firma Day Serum is a great vitamin c serum that you can apply in the morning before products that contain sunscreen to give your face an antioxidant boost as well as protection from free radicals. This serum is super light and absorbs quickly. Better than that is the fact that it is fragrance free and packaged in a manner that protects the beneficial ingredients from light and air. This is definitely a more expensive Vitamin C serum, but if you don't mind the price this is one of the better options out there. Vitamin C is a great brightening antioxidant that should be a part of everyone's skin care regimen, especially if you suffer from hyperpigmentation.

If you are thinking of purchasing right now the set Come C About Me gives you the full size serum plus the Jelly Beste Cleanser, B Hydra Serum, and the Umbra Sheer Tinte Sunscreen in deluxe sample sizes for almost the same price as the C-Firma Serum alone.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Unfortunately this did not work for my skin type. I'm in my late 20's and starting to see signs of sun spots so I've been using skinceuticals aox 20 vitamin c serum for a few years now. I've never had an issue with it but I got my hands on a few sample packets of this from DE. As soon as I poured a little on my finger tips, I immediately felt the difference in consistency between the two. DE's serum is very thick and feels oily (reminded me of castor oil). Skinceuticals has a watery consistency.
So after two days of using it at night, my pores started to appear larger, my skin felt oily, and a few pimples appeared. I kept using it for another week or so and my skin kept getting worse so I stopped using it.
I can see this working for someone who is not acne prone, dry skin/small pores. I will be sticking to what works for me!

Video Reviews & Tutorials