Coty Sand & Sable

Sand & SableSand & SableSand & SableSand & Sable

3.6

Price: $

Price: $

As with many of my reviews, let me preface this by saying florals and I have a love/hate relationship which is probably why this doesn't work on me.

This is a fruity white floral, heavy on the gardenia. On first spray it's incredibly synthetic and starts off with a blast of alcohol that gives it a hairspray like quality. This lasts about 10 minutes. It then settles down to a somewhat sharp, slightly green fruity white floral. Unfortunately it smells cheap. By this, I mean it smells like it is made with poor quality ingredients. Many of my favourite fragrances are drugstore cheapies such as Jovan Musk, Island Gardenia, Revlon Charlie (Red and Blue) so I don't think I'm a price snob. Some cheapies smell great, some don't. This one remains somewhat harsh and synthetic smelling from start to finish.

If it works with your body chemistry, it's great value. Sillage is moderate to heavy and longevity is 4 hours plus, which for a cologne is phenomenal. Unfortunately it's one which doesn't work on me. Luckily I have a couple of white florals which have a similar vibe but work better on me. In Australia Sand and Sable is unavailable, but Diamonds and Emeralds by Elizabeth Taylor has a similar fruity white floral vibe and is often available at discount chemists for less than $25 for 100 mls. Diamonds and Emeralds will have to fulfill my desire for a tropical, beachy white floral while Sand and Sable will end up with a friend of mine who absolutely rocks tuberose and gardenia. Hopefully it will work with her body chemistry. Normally what works badly on me, works brilliantly on her.

on 1/20/2015 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Very cheap perfume that smells cheap and has a stuffy old lady vibe. Gross.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Got a bottle of .375 oz. for US$4.99 + tax at kmart as I was curious about this scent. It's not something I will repurchase & will probably end up in the number 13 bin eventually, when will I learn to stick with B&BW & VS & skip "some" this DS junk....kmart has a horrible return policy & I sort of shredded the box trying to get it open so I am stuck with it. It's tuberose done very badly!!

Straight up tuberose...blech!

on 10/25/2013 2:10:00 PM

What a pleasant low-budget surprise! I picked up a 2-pack of Sand & Sable cologne at the grocery store, $16 for a 2-ounce and a 1-ounce bottle. This is one of those classic Coty fragrances that now only appear in stores at holiday time (Lady Stetson, Ici, Vanilla Fields, and Emeraude are others), so I thought I'd give it a try. I had only vaguely remembered it from my teens as a scent that did not appeal to my youthful sensibilities-- gardenia, jasmine and other heady white florals just seemed too weighty back then.

For a cologne, this is pretty long-lasting. A lovely, beachy tuberose-gardenia thing in the same vein as Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs Woman, Tatiana and Fracas, but lighter and easier to wear. There's definitely a buttery, coconutty basenote that I find delicious, but that may remind some of suntan oil, for better or worse. Packaging these days is plainer than plain, but for a drugstore cheapie, this is a great little number.

on 5/21/2013 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

A classic Coty d/s frag that I happen not to like - but my aunt did especially back in the '80's. Too "warm" and sweet for me.

on 10/9/2011 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

This is one of my all time favorite scents ever! I first smelled this during the summer of my 8th grade year...some time ago... My aunt got it while I was staying over for the summer. I fell in love with it!!! I always get compliments when I wear this. I guess that it just blends well with my natural oils. My husband loves when I wear this!!! I will continue to buy this...

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Cozy. This is a really nice fragrance although it's old school and has been around for quite some time. It is really warm and sweet, not strong. The only thing about it is I cannot wear it all the time, after a while I have to shelve it because the smell can get really boring. But overall, it's nice, sort of reminds me of peaches and cream in a way.

Hair: Red, Kinky, Fine

I bought this for the second time in the early '90s ...my original bottle disappeared...hmm...I think my mom took it. I got a GREAT deal...2oz. spray cologne with a 1oz. spray perfume...for something like , $11.00!! I still have them both , today. I love gardenias and this makes me think of the beach and summertime. Both types last sooo long on your skin....and I have gotten so many compliments on it , every time I wear it- men and women-...it's fresh and clean.

on 3/23/2011 2:36:00 PM

Got this on clearance, so had to try. I like florals and jasmine, but this is just too sweet and heavy on me. Don't detect any freshness at all in this--it's sugar and florals. Up for swap.

Popular Fragrances