Surratt Real Skin Foundation Wand

Surratt Real Skin Foundation Wand
Real Skin Foundation WandReal Skin Foundation Wand

4.8

I really like the formula of this product. It gives me some coverage and looks very natural. It also wears a long time. I tried it on a fluke. My salon is liquidating the Surratt products at 40% off and the applicator reminded me of the By Terry. I wear shade 10 but the shades in this I do not find are logically arranged. I am on the lighter side of the medium skin tone spectrum (Dior, Chanel 30). I had to try several shades, 10 was next to the really dark ones but it was a match and one that neutralizes the red/pink in my skin a bit. I like the brush for spot application but then I blend with a beauty blender. It helps me apply just enough to the areas I want a little coverage in. This foundation finish is so natural that you can spot apply it without it looking uneven as long as you blend. I would love to repurchase but finding it realistically will be a challenge.

on 5/18/2018 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This is, without a doubt, the most skin-like foundation I've ever used. I happened to see it on sale (the regular price is $65) and I'd been wanting to try it, so I got it, with some trepidation, in 3, which is described as "light with pink undertones." Well, it turned out to be a perfect match for my NC 15-20 complexion. It is not nearly as pink as it looks in online swatches--it's neutral with a slight pink undertone that's not obvious on the skin. Since triplexm did such an outstanding review below, I'll keep mine short. I like using my fingers to apply foundation for many reasons, but I also like the brush on this component. Yes, it's small, but I find that I can work quickly with it, and the priming/pump feature is well-made and reliable. The foundation has a satin finish that is just gorgeous--not too glowy, but a my-skin-but-better look. The coverage is light-to-medium, and can be built up using the brush or by picking up a bit of foundation on your fingers. The wear is beautiful--no sinking into lines or pores. The formula is silky, has no scent, feels wonderful on the skin, and although I wouldn't call it moisturizing, it's not drying either, and my skin feel great after removing it. I get compliments every time I wear this foundation. Yes, it's pricey, but if you want a liquid foundation that's truly portable, if you travel a lot, or are often pressed for time but need to look flawless, this is a great foundation to have on hand. It's become a favorite in my (ever-growing) foundation collection, and I have already repurchased. I know Surratt is an expensive brand, but I wish it got more love. Everything I've tried from it has been of truly superior quality and is worth every cent.

on 1/14/2018 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I have written a few reviews on this site and I always start with saying how difficult it is for me to find a foundation that matches my olive skin-tone with pink undertones. This one does it in number 6-just the right amount of beige and pink! An absolutely perfect match.The coverage is buildable and consistent and feels like a second skin with just the right amount of luminosity and a slight glow. It works well with powder over the top and alone. I have never had to reapply during a long workday. I have dry mature skin so I cannot predict how it would settle on oilier skin but it does feel lightweight and breathable.
This foundation goes well with the Terrybly Densliss concealer which is another of my complete favourites.
The brush does not work very well but I use it to dot over my face and use a foundation brush to even it out. It is awfully expensive and I think when it comes to the end I will break into it and see what I can scrape out!

on 12/25/2016 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This has become a firm favourite in my foundation rotation. Someone always comments on how good my skin looks when I'm wearing this.

Very natural finish with medium (buildable) coverage. Wears really well and as it's self setting, I don't feel the need to powder. Doesn't settle into any lines either.

Only down side is the price as you get less per ml as you do for any other high end foundation but yes, I'd buy again as it's lovely.

on 10/17/2016 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

16/05/18: I've since repurchased both the Surratt and By Terry foundations and they really are in my top three foundations ever, along with my HG Koh Gen Do Aqua in #012.

So I noticed there weren't any reviews on the Surratt foundation and decided it was time to get the ball rolling and offer my thoughts.

For the past couple months, I've been alternating between the Surratt Real Skin foundation wand and the By Terry Light Expert foundation. They're very, very similar and I had a hard time deciding which one to get...so obviously I ended up with both. Anyway, since they're so similar (click wand formula, buildable satin coverage, high price point) I'll refer occasionally to the By Terry foundation for anyone who's deliberating between the two.

SHADE RANGE:

For reference, I'm a shade or two lighter than N15 with cool undertones. In the Surratt foundation, #2 is basically a perfect match. It just disappears into my skin. I ordered it blind, pretty much on the basis of a video demo on Net-a-Porter's website that showed the foundation in #2 being applied to a model with a very similar complexion to mine. It turned out to be very accurate and I just wish there were videos for each shade and not just one! #2 is described as suitable for skin that is "very fair with pink undertones" which is pretty accurate. I am not Casper the Friendly Ghost pale but in general, I wear the lightest cool shade in most foundation ranges and don't usually have too much difficulty finding a match (Armani, MAC and Guerlain all run too dark for me though.) I'd say #2 is suitable for N12s with cool undertones (not necessarily VERY pink.) I've since had the opportunity to swatch the whole range at my Surratt counter and was pleased to discover I'd chosen the right shade. I was impressed by the variety of colours available, especially for a niche independent brand like Surratt.

I have tried two shades in the By Terry Light Expert. I first bought #4 Rosy Beige which is the lightest neutral shade. Online swatches of #1 and #2 looked alarmingly pink and peach respectively. #4 was not ideal for me (would be suitable for N/NW 20s) but I was able to make it work with the help of an illuminating base like Chanel's Le Blanc or Light Creator fluids. After finishing the tube, I went to my By Terry counter and was matched to #1 which is definitely an improvement on #4. Depth is perfect but I do find the undertones too rosy. I love the formula so I mix in two drops of NIOD's 8% photography fluid and one drop of the 12%, and that solves the problem, although isn't ideal.

Surratt wins this round because it offers a far more diverse colour range than By Terry,

PACKAGING

As someone who prefers to apply foundation with their hands, I don't really use the applicators of either of these foundations. Both are click wands with attached kabuki style brushes. I find them convenient because they are travel friendly and not messy, not because of the brush.

A few differences make me prefer the BT packaging over the Surratt. By Terry's applicator dispenses the foundation from four little holes which is great because it comes out on a controlled manner and only requires one or two clicks. The other advantage of the BT is that you can unscrew the foundation cartridge from the brush to clean the kabuki applicator. I don't really bother because I don't use it directly on my skin. It's far too rough and abrasive.

The Surratt applicator is less brush-like, more similar to a big YSL Touche Éclat. It's floppy and I can't imagine how it could be used as a brush. There is also only one hole to dispense the product which is annoying because it requires several clicks, which usually wastes product. Also, Surratt does not have a detachable cartridge mechanism so you can't clean the brush or unscrew the cartridge to reach the last bit of foundation. The latter is more annoying to me.

By Terry wins this round hands down.

COVERAGE/APPLICATION/FINISH

I like to mix foundations and bases together so I generally dispense the product onto the back of my hand, and then mix whatever else I'm using in (usually NIOD!) I apply the mixture with my fingers and, if necessary, buff away any uneven areas with a dense, slightly domed goat hair brush (Koyudo fu-pa 2 is my fave). The result is skin that looks like a better version of your skin - more even, flatteringly blurred, creamy and just natural.

Coverage for both foundations is buildable from light to medium-full. Both are virtually identical in this respect and have a similar texture. I would say that the finish is similar too, perhaps a little more satiny for the Surratt but honestly, it's not discernible. These are two of the best foundation formulas I've ever used.

Both the Surratt and the BT score highly here and I would say it's a tie.

WEAR TIME:

Both the Surratt and the BT are impressively long wearing and last me the whole day without requiring any touch ups (I do set both with a light dusting of translucent loose powder in the morning but that's it). I don't wear primer with either unless Chanel Le Blanc illuminating base counts but that's more to provide a glow and doesn't really extend lasting power.

So, basically another tie between the By Terry and the Surratt.

CONCLUSION

So in summary, both the By Terry and the Surratt score very highly. Coverage and wear time are excellent, price is equally extortionate. It boils down to the shade range, I think, and that's where Surratt is the clear winner. Both brands are hard to swatch in person and so it really is important that shade range and representation is accurate. By Terry struggles in general in this area, as its bases often lean very pink or peach and colour range is limited. Keep in mind that both By Terry and Surratt are small independent brands though so at least By Terry has an excuse, unlike many similarly priced luxury brands.

Grade: A++ for Surratt. A- for By Terry.