NARS Cosmetics Velvet Lip Glide

NARS Cosmetics Velvet Lip Glide

3.5

I have the shade "Area". Wow. Beautiful! The color reminds me of the 90's. Very smooth, feels like oil. The packaging is very luxurious and classic Nars.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I used some of my Sephora Beauty Insider points to get a mini tube of this in the shade Bound, a mild pinky-mauve MLBB with just enough sheen for it have a moist (not gloppy) texture. It's lovely but I don't understand this product - what is it supposedly doing that Nars' signature glosses are not? On the Sephora site, Velvet Lip Glides are described as highly-saturated, longlasting color - but Bound is neither of those. I've been using (and loving) Nars regular lip glosses for 14 years. I ADORE them because they have incredible pigmentation. Unfortunately they can be gloppy and overly shiny, and they last only until you have a cup of coffee, when they promptly transfer directly off your lips and onto the cup. The Velvet Lip Glides have more of a satin finish, but they offer almost no pigmentation - I can barely see any color at all in Bound. They also don't last any longer than the regular Nars glosses, and they still transfer like the dickens. Is Bound a pretty MLBB satin-finish gloss? Yes, is it - but there is nothing special about it and I certainly wouldn't pay $26 USD (+ tax = $28) for 0.2 oz (you read that right). Gold - actual gold - is cheaper ($24 USD for 0.2 oz as of today).

on 6/9/2018 4:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Surprised by the low score, I really am loving this product.. I have it in the shade "Bound", which is a muted berry mauve tone. I like the texture, longevity, the applicator, and the feel of this on my lips.. I will definitely purchase more shades! 💄💋

on 6/2/2018 12:38:00 AM

I have this in the la palace shade. Its a classic red with a bit of orangey undertone on my nc20 skin.
i pair this with nars lanikai velvet lip liner for a glossy gradiant burgandy red lip.

Pros
Comfortable
Vibrant but need to swipe x2 to get a good coat
Smells good

Cons
Not long lasting
Non transfer proof

Since this is not matte i didnt really expect this to last long. Its a beautiful formula though id keep this but wouldnt repurchase. Id stick with the audacious lippies by nars.

on 11/10/2017 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have this in the red shade (a mini from a lipset of some kind I think) and I am not a fan. I don't think this formula is good for bright or dark colours. I think it was originally marketed as a moisturizing version of a liquid lipstick, "long lasting lip colour with a smooth semi-matte finish" is what the site says. I disagree. Quite a bit actually. Like this forum has categorized it, it's a glorified lip gloss. Sure it has a nice moisturizing feeling, but it is no way long lasting and it is not a semi-matte finish.. it's a glossy finish. I saw a youtuber once say, "if you want the matte finish just blot your lips with tissue". Well, duh? I feel like you could do that with the vast majority of my pigmented lip glosses and it would have the same effect. And those products aren't marketed as "semi-matte". Sometimes I really wonder about youtube.

Anyways, I do find the formula moisturizing and very smooth to apply. The applicator is a nice precise shape and makes it easy to apply with a good degree of precision, although that doesn't take into account that the bright formula bleeds after the fact so.. I guess you can't win them all.

I would think nudes would be nice in this formula, although from what I remember there weren't a lot in this collection. This is just an overpriced/over marketed lip gloss people. Nice formula but does not do what it claims. Definite pass and would not recommend at full price.

on 10/30/2017 7:56:00 PM

I have a mini of this (colour:bound) but it has been my most reached for colour lately. On me it's a true MLBB, neither darker or lighter than my lips. I have a neutral complexion and this colour (dusty rose, hint of mauve) seems to be neither too cool or to warm, it looks very understated and therefore more "serious".

It is not long wearing, like a gloss, but I don't mind reapplying frequently as my priority is non-drying. It is also a very comfortable formula. The colour is sufficiently similar to my lips that I am not concerned about it wearing off unevenly.

I would consider purchasing the full size but the price ($34 CAD) may hold me back. I've also got my eye on some of the other colours (La main Blue specifically).

UPDATE: I have long-since finished the mini and not repurchased, given the many other nude-ish pink and mauve lipsticks that I own. I did purchase "La main Blue" which is a beautiful bold colour that feels more "me" than a red for occasions. I wish it were more long-wearing, but since I usually have dry lips (probably 5 of 7 days, sigh), it is a good compromise in terms of finish for me.

on 9/22/2017 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I'm reviewing this product in the shade "Bound". Color is a medium rose-pink similar to NARS Chihuahua, maybe a touch cooler/more mauve. Definite MLBB contender for an everyday, no-brainer lip color for pigmented lips. It shows up better if you line your lips first or apply lipstick before layering on the gloss.

Texture is plush with some slip. Lasting power is dismal with moderate drinking; it entirely disappears after eating. Surprisingly, this gloss is scented - like vanilla cake batter. Not a dealbreaker for me, but most NARS lip products are unscented.

I like this shade but the formula has such a short life on the lips that I could see myself constantly reapplying and going through tubes of this pretty fast, so I don't think I'd repurchase.

on 9/8/2017 11:58:00 AM

I bought these as a set at Ulta to try different colors. Nice color range, but they are so difficult to work with. They feel nice as you apply them, but settle unevenly and into fine lines. And are really drying. My lips are rather dry so that may have something to do with it. But even after applying over a lip balm I could not get a smooth application. One plus, the color does seem to last long on the lips after the slight shine has disappeared.

on 8/20/2017 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Not my fav colors. It says semi matte but looks glossy on me. Does not dry down at all so not long lasting.
Confused a little bit but having extremely dry lips, I prefer gloss anyways so that works for me.
It's not 'sticky' gloss by the way. On the lips, it feels like YSL kiss and blush but looks glossier. I wish they would add more colors. Still think it's expensive though. Love the packaging. Has weird scent, like grandma's makeup. I give this 3.5 stars

on 7/21/2017 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Reviewing Bound, which as others have said is a MLBB shade that I'll grab regularly. I've seen it mentioned as cool, but I find it to be more neutral. I lean decidedly cool-toned, and it's perfect, but if it were a HAIR more warm, I wouldn't be able to wear it. It's definitely not a purplish shade of pink or a cotton-candy pink. It's a dusty rose on me, appears warmer than in the Temptalia swatch, but nowhere near as mauvish as photographed in some product shots.

What really stands out here for me is the texture. I normally don't gravitate to cream finishes without shimmer, but this has a very slippery jelly-like finish that I haven't found in any of the ridiculous number of other lip products I have. It feels moist. It's not a high-gloss finish, but a nice finish of moderate shine. Love the packaging. It feels substantial and high-end.

If it were more moderately priced, I'd give it a 5. :)