Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I will not repurchase

on 8/22/2018 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Neutral

I tried hard to believe that this dryer's performance justified its price. It's performance was fine for me. I have short hair, and it dried my hair very quickly, which might be why I never had the frizzing that others have mentioned. I also tried hard to cope with the awkwardness of its long, thick cord that does not retract or even easily bend. This cord has a large, heavy power block about halfway down it that you have to find a place for on your countertop. I also tried to excuse the annoyance of having to aim this dryer away from my eyes, or even with closed eyes to avoid drying out my contact lenses. I thought I just had defective contacts at first! I have met two hair stylists who both love this dryer and use it professionally. One of them uses a special stand for it which would have probably helped with the awkward handling. Both stylists had it fail on them, sent it back to Dyson and got replacements. So, even though I only used my dryer 5 minutes a day, and not even every day, I wasn't surprised when it broke. One day, I wasn't careful enough to get the power block properly positioned on my counter, and it fell on the tile floor with a giant smack and that was the end. I am back to my $35 travel dryer and enjoying not dealing with that cord or making sure I don't dry out my contacts in the morning.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I wanted to love this product. I adored my Dyson Vacuum and was so excited to buy this...

My hair is quite thick, very long, pretty straight but rather prone to frizz. It's strong and not porous (thanks olaplex) so doesn't take too long to dry considering it's length and thickness.

I thought the Dyson would smooth things out but no. My frizz is even worse than before. Plus, even though I use it on a lower heat setting than my normal dyer, my hair is super dry.

It's great to use due to the weight distribution, but my hair is a nightmare

My hairdresser raved about this product. I bit the bullet and spent the dollars and boy am I disappointed. I have very healthy hair. after only 3 weeks, my hair is dry, brittle and had zero shine. This is a total waste of money. I am just happy I was under the 30 day timeframe and I could return it. Save your hair.... pass on this dryer. Too bad, because I love my dyson vacuum... how did they get this so wrong?

on 3/23/2018 9:25:00 PM

I was given this product as a gift. The dryer works well- as in it is nice machinery, but left my hair lack lustre. Even on the lowest setting it’s too much for my hair. After a couple of months use I found my crown to be thinned out. I’m also not a a huge fun of the magnet - manage to knock it off with the brush at least once during the drying procedure.
This product is however very useful for grooming my thick curly haired poodles 🐩!
I also find the case to be nice to look at but overall bulky and takes up more space than a regular blow dryer. If you have medium to fine hair you’re money is probably better spent on salon services.

on 12/8/2017 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

To begin: I hate drying my hair, the less amount of time spent blasting hot air at my scalp, the better. So, when I read online about the Dyson Supersonic (“Dries super fast But won’t damage your hair!”) I really wanted the Dyson Supersonic. For the price, I thought the clouds would part, the angels would sing, and my hair would achieve Katherine Middleton levels of bounce and shine. Um, no. I watched all the videos, tried all of the tips and tricks, and still, could not get this thing to work for me. Sure, it dries super fast, but even after experimenting with the nozzles, speed, and heat settings, my fine, wavy hair was left uncharacteristically dry and frizzy with zero shine. I have tried this thing every-which-way with the same results. I understand that it’s new technology and there’s a learning process, but come on! It’s still just a hairdryer! After two weeks with no improvement, and my stylist commenting, “Your hair feels really dry and has more static than usual. Have you been skipping conditioner?” I’m returning it to Sephora. A huge disappointment and not nearly worth the hype or price.

on 11/27/2017 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using for 3 months. I would say this hair dryer was very powerful and good in handling when blow dry hair. But after blow dry my hair with Dyson I feel my hair was dry, fizzy and brittle it doesn't help to smooth my hair at all and my hair get even drier. I would not recommend this dryer to friends. I would prefer other brand which have anti fizz control and also can smooth and shine my hair.

on 10/28/2017 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Adore my vacuum cleaner, but detest this "supersonic" dryer, purchased for me by my well-intentioned husband. With and without the attachment, the air-flow lacks targeted direction. much like using a fan to dry hair. While I appreciate the lower heat settings and quieter operation, it did not perform as well as cheaper drugstore dryers. After re-gifting to my daughter, she too shared my complete disappointment.

on 9/12/2017 11:34:00 AM

I have been wanting to try this hair dryer and have been put off by the price of $400, but in comes QVC who offers it for easy payments along with attachments, so I get it home and try it. It came packaged very nice complete with a beautiful pink box to store it in. I tried it and it is a unique hairdryer, but was it a game changer, not for me. I have long beautiful hair and currently use the Yellow Buttercup by DryBar ave love it. I can get my hair dried within 5 minutes using that. While I did feel the Dyson dried quickly, for me it was not any quicker than my DryBar one. It does dry at a lower heat and I would say the air blasts out more air, which can allow your hair to get tangled. I also noticed my hair felt a bit more dry after using the Dyson as well versus my DryBar one. The attachments are magnetic and stay on. The motor is also in the handle as well. In the end, I just could not justify keeping for me, if my old dryer worked better, so back it went. If I got it free or my other one clonks out, I may reconsider, but honestly for the price, I think I would just get another Buttercup!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have been having success with this ridiculously priced thing...!
I have long layers (10-16" in length) and fine hair that will either smooth out or curl up a little if I encourage it (2A or 2B in curl terms). I am starting to turn white and learning how to tame the newer coarse crazy hairs have been a challenge.
My preferred use is using the smoothing nozzle with both heat and air on the highest settings - just like they show on the Dyson website. My hair feels and looks shiny and the magic of the hairdryer is it adds only about 5 minutes to my beauty routine. I never dry my hair until it is bone dry, which does reduce time (and the risk of damage). This method has earned the most compliments and questions in regards to what I have done. I of course don't share my extravagant secret, I'm still embarrassed I spent this much on a hair dryer.
Sometimes I use the diffuser and scrunch my hair while it dries, turning the heat down to medium because the hottest setting is too hot to handle my hair or have the dryer blowing on them. This method takes about 15 minutes and my only complaint is with the magnet, the diffuser pops off easily when I bump it against my head.
I have not used the styling concentrator, I need to get some brushes and I fear frying my ends.
I bought the special edition version which comes with a pink pleather case. It didn't cost any more than the one without, so why not? The case seems like a nice way to store and transport the dryer but the diffuser won't fit in it and the pretty shade of pink will probably get grubby over time.
The cord is generous in length but heavy and there is a power converter block near the gfi plug end - both are bulky. I suggest hanging the dryer or use the non-slip mat because the bulk of the cord will pull it off whatever surface you lay it down on.
I still can't believe I spent this much money on a simple thing as a hair dryer, and when my husband finds he will be extremely mad, but having been around a parent who ran her own salon for 30 years I know a hair dryer is essential. I feel I could and probably will own this for the rest of my life and can realistically justify its cost as I don't color or otherwise process my hair and visit my stylist about 4 times a year for just a cut.
1 lippie off because of the price! Would not repurchase unless I could get some sort of % off in a sale.

Popular Hair Styling Tools