Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer

Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer

3.1

on 12/8/2017 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I wanted to love the Dyson Supersonic. For the price, I thought the clouds would part, the angels would sing, and my hair would achieve Katherine Middleton levels of bounce and shine. Um, no. I watched all the videos, read the tips and tricks, and still, could not make this thing work for me. Even after using the nozzles and lowest speed and heat settings, my fine, wavy hair was left uncharacteristically dry and frizzy with zero shine. After two weeks with no improvement, I’m returning it to Sephora. A huge disappointment and not nearly worth the hype or price.

on 11/27/2017 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using for 3 months. I would say this hair dryer was very powerful and good in handling when blow dry hair. But after blow dry my hair with Dyson I feel my hair was dry, fizzy and brittle it doesn't help to smooth my hair at all and my hair get even drier. I would not recommend this dryer to friends. I would prefer other brand which have anti fizz control and also can smooth and shine my hair.

on 9/2/2017 7:52:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

First of all, I waited to buy this until 1) my old hair dryer died and 2) I had an Ulta coupon for 20% off and 3) amassed some ulta frequent buyer points.

I have watched videos and read reviews and bought the dyson last week. It dried my hair in less than 15 minutes. I used the styling nozzle exactly like the dyson website video described. Results were very close to salon..and I am definetly hair styling challenged.

For reference, my hair takes 45 minutes at least to blow dry and style after towel drying, and with Houston humidity, I give up and just sleek my hair back in a low chignon.

I also used the dryer to restyle the mornings I didn't wash my hair to restraighten the pieces at my temples that like to go all wavy wrong.

If you have a lot of hair and need more technology to get the desired results, I recommend this dryer. After using it for just one week, I wished I had bought it sooner and would have paid full price. Thanks Dyson

on 9/12/2017 11:34:00 AM

I have been wanting to try this hair dryer and have been put off by the price of $400, but in comes QVC who offers it for easy payments along with attachments, so I get it home and try it. It came packaged very nice complete with a beautiful pink box to store it in. I tried it and it is a unique hairdryer, but was it a game changer, not for me. I have long beautiful hair and currently use the Yellow Buttercup by DryBar ave love it. I can get my hair dried within 5 minutes using that. While I did feel the Dyson dried quickly, for me it was not any quicker than my DryBar one. It does dry at a lower heat and I would say the air blasts out more air, which can allow your hair to get tangled. I also noticed my hair felt a bit more dry after using the Dyson as well versus my DryBar one. The attachments are magnetic and stay on. The motor is also in the handle as well. In the end, I just could not justify keeping for me, if my old dryer worked better, so back it went. If I got it free or my other one clonks out, I may reconsider, but honestly for the price, I think I would just get another Buttercup!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have been having success with this ridiculously priced thing...!
I have long layers (10-16" in length) and fine hair that will either smooth out or curl up a little if I encourage it (2A or 2B in curl terms). I am starting to turn white and learning how to tame the newer coarse crazy hairs have been a challenge.
My preferred use is using the smoothing nozzle with both heat and air on the highest settings - just like they show on the Dyson website. My hair feels and looks shiny and the magic of the hairdryer is it adds only about 5 minutes to my beauty routine. I never dry my hair until it is bone dry, which does reduce time (and the risk of damage). This method has earned the most compliments and questions in regards to what I have done. I of course don't share my extravagant secret, I'm still embarrassed I spent this much on a hair dryer.
Sometimes I use the diffuser and scrunch my hair while it dries, turning the heat down to medium because the hottest setting is too hot to handle my hair or have the dryer blowing on them. This method takes about 15 minutes and my only complaint is with the magnet, the diffuser pops off easily when I bump it against my head.
I have not used the styling concentrator, I need to get some brushes and I fear frying my ends.
I bought the special edition version which comes with a pink pleather case. It didn't cost any more than the one without, so why not? The case seems like a nice way to store and transport the dryer but the diffuser won't fit in it and the pretty shade of pink will probably get grubby over time.
The cord is generous in length but heavy and there is a power converter block near the gfi plug end - both are bulky. I suggest hanging the dryer or use the non-slip mat because the bulk of the cord will pull it off whatever surface you lay it down on.
I still can't believe I spent this much money on a simple thing as a hair dryer, and when my husband finds he will be extremely mad, but having been around a parent who ran her own salon for 30 years I know a hair dryer is essential. I feel I could and probably will own this for the rest of my life and can realistically justify its cost as I don't color or otherwise process my hair and visit my stylist about 4 times a year for just a cut.
1 lippie off because of the price! Would not repurchase unless I could get some sort of % off in a sale.

on 10/28/2017 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Adore my vacuum cleaner, but detest this "supersonic" dryer, purchased for me by my well-intentioned husband. With and without the attachment, the air-flow lacks targeted direction. much like using a fan to dry hair. While I appreciate the lower heat settings and quieter operation, it did not perform as well as cheaper drugstore dryers. After re-gifting to my daughter, she too shared my complete disappointment.

on 4/21/2017 12:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really really really wanted to love this hairdryer. Dyson is a really good brand. I have their vacuums and I love them. This hairdryer is very well-made, it's engineered fantastically, it's very quiet, and I could tell that it was going to last for very very long time. It is a very expensive item at $400 US.

Unfortunately, this hairdryer did nothing for my hair. The very first time that I used it I noticed that my hair felt extremely rough and dry and it was very frizzy and fly away. I do not get frizzy hair. I had changed absolutely nothing in my routine except for using the new hairdryer. I thought that there may have been a learning curve, so I went online and I looked at all the review videos and the how-to videos for using this Dyson, and did all the tricks and tips that were given. It made no difference. My hair was no longer smooth and shiny. It was dull, flyaway, and felt rough. My stylist, who had just told me at my previous appointment how great my hair was looking, asked me at my latest appointment what the heck had I done to my hair because it looked and felt so terrible. After she dried my hair that day, it looked and felt much better, so I switched back to my $25 Remington hair dryer which is ionic/tourmaline.

My hair was much smoother, and felt softer immediately after using my old hair dryer. It is not 100% back to its original sleekness, but it's been getting better. I do really like the idea of the Dyson hairdryer, I think that it's a great little machine and apparently some people are having very very good luck with it. I have very thick, coarse hair and the people that I saw in the videos that Dyson was showing getting their hair dried by the machine had very fine thin hair, so I wonder if that makes a difference. Also, I wonder if Dyson would make an ionic version of the dryer if it would make a difference.

I could just not justify having paid so much for Somethjng that didn't work for me, so I returned it. If Dyson comes out in the next iteration with an ionic/tourmaline dryer I will give it a go and see if that makes a difference. I'm very disappointed that this dryer did not work out for me.

on 3/2/2017 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

This is expensive, obviously. But it is a complete game-changer for me, not exaggeration. I've been using it for several months and have had so much less damage to my hair, fewer split ends, and have been able to stretch the amount of time between trims.

It is so much faster than other dryers, it's quieter, it's amazing what they were able to do with this. I'm saving so much time with this dryer. I'm in love with it. If you are on the fence, it's so worth it.

on 6/22/2017 9:09:00 PM

Pros- dries faster,
Substantial cord
Quiet and lightweight

Cons- Replacement parts (nozzle ) not available

Furious that they would sell this and replacement parts aren't being made yet ? I was told by the Dyson rep that I could leave my name and email and I would be contacted and I could then order it. When I asked when I could expect that- she didn't know, hopefully in 6 months.

on 5/24/2017 12:53:00 AM

I have thick, coarse hair. It's semi wavy and prone to dryness. My sister got a dyson for her birthday, and we decided to share it.

Boy was that a mistake for me. I usually go to the hair dresser and receive praise. I have split ends all the way up to my ears now, and a hair dresser I have seen for 15 years, grimaced at how messed up my hair was. "What did you doooooo...?" Was asked several times. Only change was I added a dyson hair drier to my post shower routine, in place of my ghetto 20 dollar no name dryer.

Im extremely upset because of their claims of, prevents breakage... it did the more damage to my hair in a span of time then my high school daily straighten did. I have mid back length hair, which is going to likely lose a lot of length as we attempt to fix the Dyson-Destruction.

If your hair is coarse, thick and fairly healthy, I don't know if the dyson will help you keep it that way. I'm bitter and twisted because I baby my locks, never dyed them, put them in a silk wrap to sleep.

Pros of the dryer: it's fast, it's lightweight and has a good hand feel. Cable is very sturdy.

Popular Hair Styling Tools