Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer

Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer

3.5

on 9/12/2017 11:34:00 AM

I have been wanting to try this hair dryer and have been put off by the price of $400, but in comes QVC who offers it for easy payments along with attachments, so I get it home and try it. It came packaged very nice complete with a beautiful pink box to store it in. I tried it and it is a unique hairdryer, but was it a game changer, not for me. I have long beautiful hair and currently use the Yellow Buttercup by DryBar ave love it. I can get my hair dried within 5 minutes using that. While I did feel the Dyson dried quickly, for me it was not any quicker than my DryBar one. It does dry at a lower heat and I would say the air blasts out more air, which can allow your hair to get tangled. I also noticed my hair felt a bit more dry after using the Dyson as well versus my DryBar one. The attachments are magnetic and stay on. The motor is also in the handle as well. In the end, I just could not justify keeping for me, if my old dryer worked better, so back it went. If I got it free or my other one clonks out, I may reconsider, but honestly for the price, I think I would just get another Buttercup!

on 9/2/2017 7:52:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

First of all, I waited to buy this until 1) my old hair dryer died and 2) I had an Ulta coupon for 20% off and 3) amassed some ulta frequent buyer points.

I have watched videos and read reviews and bought the dyson last week. It dried my hair in less than 15 minutes. I used the styling nozzle exactly like the dyson website video described. Results were very close to salon..and I am definetly hair styling challenged.

For reference, my hair takes 45 minutes at least to blow dry and style after towel drying, and with Houston humidity, I give up and just sleek my hair back in a low chignon.

I also used the dryer to restyle the mornings I didn't wash my hair to restraighten the pieces at my temples that like to go all wavy wrong.

If you have a lot of hair and need more technology to get the desired results, I recommend this dryer. After using it for just one week, I wished I had bought it sooner and would have paid full price. Thanks Dyson

on 4/21/2017 12:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really really really wanted to love this hairdryer. Dyson is a really good brand. I have their vacuums and I love them. This hairdryer is very well-made, it's engineered fantastically, it's very quiet, and I could tell that it was going to last for very very long time. It is a very expensive item at $400 US.

Unfortunately, this hairdryer did nothing for my hair. The very first time that I used it I noticed that my hair felt extremely rough and dry and it was very frizzy and fly away. I do not get frizzy hair. I had changed absolutely nothing in my routine except for using the new hairdryer. I thought that there may have been a learning curve, so I went online and I looked at all the review videos and the how-to videos for using this Dyson, and did all the tricks and tips that were given. It made no difference. My hair was no longer smooth and shiny. It was dull, flyaway, and felt rough. My stylist, who had just told me at my previous appointment how great my hair was looking, asked me at my latest appointment what the heck had I done to my hair because it looked and felt so terrible. After she dried my hair that day, it looked and felt much better, so I switched back to my $25 Remington hair dryer which is ionic/tourmaline.

My hair was much smoother, and felt softer immediately after using my old hair dryer. It is not 100% back to its original sleekness, but it's been getting better. I do really like the idea of the Dyson hairdryer, I think that it's a great little machine and apparently some people are having very very good luck with it. I have very thick, coarse hair and the people that I saw in the videos that Dyson was showing getting their hair dried by the machine had very fine thin hair, so I wonder if that makes a difference. Also, I wonder if Dyson would make an ionic version of the dryer if it would make a difference.

I could just not justify having paid so much for Somethjng that didn't work for me, so I returned it. If Dyson comes out in the next iteration with an ionic/tourmaline dryer I will give it a go and see if that makes a difference. I'm very disappointed that this dryer did not work out for me.

on 3/2/2017 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

This is expensive, obviously. But it is a complete game-changer for me, not exaggeration. I've been using it for several months and have had so much less damage to my hair, fewer split ends, and have been able to stretch the amount of time between trims.

It is so much faster than other dryers, it's quieter, it's amazing what they were able to do with this. I'm saving so much time with this dryer. I'm in love with it. If you are on the fence, it's so worth it.

on 6/22/2017 9:09:00 PM

Pros- dries faster,
Substantial cord
Quiet and lightweight

Cons- Replacement parts (nozzle ) not available

Furious that they would sell this and replacement parts aren't being made yet ? I was told by the Dyson rep that I could leave my name and email and I would be contacted and I could then order it. When I asked when I could expect that- she didn't know, hopefully in 6 months.

on 5/24/2017 12:53:00 AM

I have thick, coarse hair. It's semi wavy and prone to dryness. My sister got a dyson for her birthday, and we decided to share it.

Boy was that a mistake for me. I usually go to the hair dresser and receive praise. I have split ends all the way up to my ears now, and a hair dresser I have seen for 15 years, grimaced at how messed up my hair was. "What did you doooooo...?" Was asked several times. Only change was I added a dyson hair drier to my post shower routine, in place of my ghetto 20 dollar no name dryer.

Im extremely upset because of their claims of, prevents breakage... it did the more damage to my hair in a span of time then my high school daily straighten did. I have mid back length hair, which is going to likely lose a lot of length as we attempt to fix the Dyson-Destruction.

If your hair is coarse, thick and fairly healthy, I don't know if the dyson will help you keep it that way. I'm bitter and twisted because I baby my locks, never dyed them, put them in a silk wrap to sleep.

Pros of the dryer: it's fast, it's lightweight and has a good hand feel. Cable is very sturdy.

on 1/8/2017 7:07:00 PM

I did not want to like this hair dryer I have a $200 ionic hairdryer I thought was doing a perfectly good job and already seemed really expensive but I thought I would give this Dyson one a try just to see if it changed my life. I used it for about a month and I thought no this isn't making that much of a difference I'll stick with my $200 one ....then I tried my old hair dryer again and it was such a drag..... the Dyson cuts my hair drying time at least in half. I am someone who hates to do their hair! but I must look professional at work or like I actually give a damn about looking polished. All in all, hate the price of the product it's worth it.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I am clearly in the minority with my review, but it may be because I have curly hair that I do not blow out straight. The diffuser attachment was a complete miss for me, and I can't dry my curls without a diffuser. (The dryer is so specialized, you can only use the magnetic attachments designed for the Dyson).

I coveted this dryer the second it came out and could not wait to get my hands on it. I've had my Dyson vacuum for over 10 years and it was money well-spent. I currently use the T3 Luxe dryer, and I'm not unhappy with the results, I was just hoping for life-changing faster results. And, I will admit that all of the reviews for shiny damage-free hair sucked me in.

The dryer itself is a work of art--the design is truly something unique and revolutionary. However, I was extremely disappointed in the results on my hair. I used the dryer 5 times, just in case there was a learning curve. My hair was hot to the touch and became more dry and brittle with each use. I have very thick, long curly hair and the diffuser is too small to cup or cradle the curls while they dry. I found myself moving the dryer around a lot more than normal because it was so hot, even on the lowest heat setting. Anyone with curls knows that the more you move curls during the drying process, the more frizz you can expect. My hair was a GIANT frizzball each time I used the Dyson. It took me as long, or possibly longer than usual to dry my hair, and the results were nothing less than horrific. The second I went back to my old dryer, my curls were shiny, bouncy and I felt like they were personally thanking me for not subjecting them to the torment of the Dyson. I could see this diffuser working for shorter or fine/thin hair, but if you have thick or long hair, the design is flawed.

If Dyson were to revamp the diffuser attachment with a deeper bucket with longer "fingers" to separate and style curls---possibly coat it with tourmaline, I'd give it another go. I am totally bummed that this didn't work for me.

I have to say I had mixed feelings about this dryer at first. There definitely was a learning curve. At first this dryer left my normal hair dry, frizzy, and straw like after drying it with a round brush on medium heat and low airflow. If I dry my hair on high heat, medium flow, use the smoothing attachment vertically to rough dry, then the concentrator attachment to finish drying I got a much better result. The dryer still doesn't give me an overall better blowout than my T3, but it does make the process less tedious. Since the more compact design allows you to hold the dryer closer to my head and then my arms don't get tired. Dry time is faster and it's more ergonomic which makes blowdrying easier. Overall, I don't dread blowdrying my hair anymore and that makes the price worth it.
Edit- returned this. It fried my hair and it always looked a little like straw. Wanted to love it. Hope it gets redesigned in the future

on 11/4/2016 7:12:00 PM

This dryer has changed my hair. I have dry hair and my hairdresser said he noticed my hair was not as damaged and was soft and looked healthy. I take the dyson with me to the salon now and will not use another dryer. Even my hairdresser likes using it.

Popular Hair Styling Tools