2.8

on 12/3/2018 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Dyson Supersonic,, where do I start?
I was beyond thrilled to receive this dryer as a gift a year ago for the holidays, at the time I had much longer hair, and lots of it, so I was looking forward to cutting the tedious drying time and getting shiny, frizz free, wonderful hair.
Design and Handling:
- looks cool, I liked the fuchsia/grey combination
- nice to the touch and the buttons worked well
- 2 magnetic attachment nozzles included
- also comes with one round diffuser
- extremely heavy, unwieldy stiff, thick cable with a rectangular transformer box attached
- heavy and bulky dryer body
- three settings for temperature as well as blowing power settings
- relatively quiet in operation
- comes with a nice oval silicon mat, very practical when resting the dryer on a countertop during usage

So overall, unfortunately I found the Dyson dryer not as pleasant to handle as i had expected due to its sheer weight when holding the body and also the unwieldy nature of the cable. But I would have dealt with that had the Dyson turned my hair into the best they can possibly be, and in the shortest possible time.
I did like the fact that the dryer is relatively quiet compared to other models and that the materials used are of high quality, for instance the plastic of the two attachment nozzles and the coating of the dryer body.
The air comes out quite forcefully and the dryer did dry my hair somewhat quicker than your average $50 dryer. But this came with drawbacks in my case because my long, medium thick wavy hair turned quite frizzy, despite using a high quality ionic round brush from Olivia Garden and my usual heat protection serums. Also, I noticed that my hair was dryer than usual and didn't have much shine compared with the T3 dryer I had been using previously and that the Dyson seemed to dry out my scalp also. I always used the lowest setting on the Dyson and the lowest temperature. Like other reviewers stated, I also found working with a round brush more challenging than with other dryers, because of the force with which the air leaves the Dyson, even when using an attachment.

To me, this dryer looks like a progressive prototype and not the mature device, resulting from years of research that the company advertises. Besides the cable which I found a real hassle, it does have a modern and stylish appearance, but the performance and handling fall short in my opinion, and its price tag is a hefty $400. It is hyped up as the best thing ever in the dryer category, but sadly it isn't all that for me. In fact, I went back to my T3 and recently gave the Dyson to my niece, hoping that it will work better for her than it did for me.
Since going back to the T3 my hair is back to normal, it no longer has excessive frizz and also nice shine.
And the drying time with the T3 Featherweight is comparable with what I experienced with the Dyson.
So for me, there was really no point in continuing to use the Dyson.

Lastly, I'd like to mention that got the dryer together with a separately paid for faux leather oval case in a blush rose shade, which turned out to be pretty much unusable due to the fact that the thick cable just won't bend at all! So the case, which was $50 in itself at the time (later on the company included this for free in several sets with purchase of the dryer) was a real waste of money. You can stick the dryer inside and then the bulky cable is still hanging out, it's really a shame, the diffuser and nozzles didn't even fit in the case either.

on 12/3/2018 3:13:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Just got this as a holiday gift and was SO excited to try it out. I read about it the second it hit the market and knew I couldn't justify the price tag and was blown away when I received it as a present. Dyson is supposed to be top of the line and hearing how this thing had $67 million invested in it to create along with 100 engineers (many female!) And over 100 patents on this thing had me thinking that this was IT. This was the tool TO HAVE!

What a letdown. This thing works no better than your average $25 drugstore Revlon. In fact, my Hot Tools hair dryer that is probably six years old works a thousand times better.

Presentation wise, this thing is flashy. It looks high tech, the description on the box makes it sound phenomenal and super high tech. A v9 motor? Heat sensors monitered multiple times per second?! Is this a car????

I couldn't wait to try it so I dampened my hair and went at it. It took me 10 minutes to realize this is all show, no performance.

I have long, extremely thick, coarse, wavy/curly hair. Apparently that's what this hairdryer is geared for.

I turned it on and it just blew my hair all over the place. I use a paddle brush to straighten and it was impossible. It blew all my hair off the brush, whipped the hair that was pushed aside and tied it in literal knots in 2.5 seconds. I couldn't even brush it, I had to physically untie my hair.

Ok, so clearly using this without an attachment isn't going to work, so I tried one of the magnetic attachments. Yes, this thing was blowing air super fast and hard, I did what I could with the paddle brush, and 10 minutes later my DAMP hair wasn't even dry and it looked terrible. Even with the attachment it was making knots.

At one point I swung the dryer around and the sheer force of the air blew EVERYTHING off my bathroom counter. Not even a little bit joking. Everything went flying and I said forget it, this is ridiculous!!

I pulled out my 6 year old Hot Tools and IMMEDIATELY my hair started smoking (evaporating water from the hair). The Dyson dryer did literally nothing to dry mildly damp hair, I can't even imagine the nightmare it would have been to dry an entire sopping wet head of hair. I can tell this thing wouldn't have sped up any drying time, but made it significantly longer.

The cord didn't bother me, neither did the location of the air intake.

And you're going to tell me that there were ONE HUNDRED engineers on this thing and NOT ONE of them thought to make the dryer ionic or tourmaline or ceramic to protect hair????

This thing is literally just a handheld tornado. Not even worth the price tag at ALL. Very disappointing and a huge letdown.

on 10/23/2018 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I really like this product, but is it really worth more than twice as much as it’s closest competitor? Probably not. Having said that, I don’t exactly go through hairdryers at a rapid rate of knots. The last one was over fifteen years old when I dropped it once too often. I doubt the Dyson will be as forgiving. I was in a car accident and can’t lift my left arm above my shoulder, so it’s weight and ergonomics work well for me. I do like the Thor’s hammer shape. It dries faster than any other hairdryer I have owned (not a shock given the age of the last one, though!). I do wish I had waited a bit and bought the new Dyson doohickey. My hair is very fine and I think that it would have suited it better. (But they are $700 here in Australia and my hair is not that nice!)

on 9/29/2018 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I will not repurchase

on 8/22/2018 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Neutral

I tried hard to believe that this dryer's performance justified its price. It's performance was fine for me. I have short hair, and it dried my hair very quickly, which might be why I never had the frizzing that others have mentioned. I also tried hard to cope with the awkwardness of its long, thick cord that does not retract or even easily bend. This cord has a large, heavy power block about halfway down it that you have to find a place for on your countertop. I also tried to excuse the annoyance of having to aim this dryer away from my eyes, or even with closed eyes to avoid drying out my contact lenses. I thought I just had defective contacts at first! I have met two hair stylists who both love this dryer and use it professionally. One of them uses a special stand for it which would have probably helped with the awkward handling. Both stylists had it fail on them, sent it back to Dyson and got replacements. So, even though I only used my dryer 5 minutes a day, and not even every day, I wasn't surprised when it broke. One day, I wasn't careful enough to get the power block properly positioned on my counter, and it fell on the tile floor with a giant smack and that was the end. I am back to my $35 travel dryer and enjoying not dealing with that cord or making sure I don't dry out my contacts in the morning.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I wanted to love this product. I adored my Dyson Vacuum and was so excited to buy this...

My hair is quite thick, very long, pretty straight but rather prone to frizz. It's strong and not porous (thanks olaplex) so doesn't take too long to dry considering it's length and thickness.

I thought the Dyson would smooth things out but no. My frizz is even worse than before. Plus, even though I use it on a lower heat setting than my normal dyer, my hair is super dry.

It's great to use due to the weight distribution, but my hair is a nightmare

My hairdresser raved about this product. I bit the bullet and spent the dollars and boy am I disappointed. I have very healthy hair. after only 3 weeks, my hair is dry, brittle and had zero shine. This is a total waste of money. I am just happy I was under the 30 day timeframe and I could return it. Save your hair.... pass on this dryer. Too bad, because I love my dyson vacuum... how did they get this so wrong?

on 3/23/2018 9:25:00 PM

I was given this product as a gift. The dryer works well- as in it is nice machinery, but left my hair lack lustre. Even on the lowest setting it’s too much for my hair. After a couple of months use I found my crown to be thinned out. I’m also not a a huge fun of the magnet - manage to knock it off with the brush at least once during the drying procedure.
This product is however very useful for grooming my thick curly haired poodles 🐩!
I also find the case to be nice to look at but overall bulky and takes up more space than a regular blow dryer. If you have medium to fine hair you’re money is probably better spent on salon services.

on 12/8/2017 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

To begin: I hate drying my hair, the less amount of time spent blasting hot air at my scalp, the better. So, when I read online about the Dyson Supersonic (“Dries super fast But won’t damage your hair!”) I really wanted the Dyson Supersonic. For the price, I thought the clouds would part, the angels would sing, and my hair would achieve Katherine Middleton levels of bounce and shine. Um, no. I watched all the videos, tried all of the tips and tricks, and still, could not get this thing to work for me. Sure, it dries super fast, but even after experimenting with the nozzles, speed, and heat settings, my fine, wavy hair was left uncharacteristically dry and frizzy with zero shine. I have tried this thing every-which-way with the same results. I understand that it’s new technology and there’s a learning process, but come on! It’s still just a hairdryer! After two weeks with no improvement, and my stylist commenting, “Your hair feels really dry and has more static than usual. Have you been skipping conditioner?” I’m returning it to Sephora. A huge disappointment and not nearly worth the hype or price.

on 11/27/2017 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using for 3 months. I would say this hair dryer was very powerful and good in handling when blow dry hair. But after blow dry my hair with Dyson I feel my hair was dry, fizzy and brittle it doesn't help to smooth my hair at all and my hair get even drier. I would not recommend this dryer to friends. I would prefer other brand which have anti fizz control and also can smooth and shine my hair.

Popular Hair Styling Tools