Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser

Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser
Ultra Calming Cleanser

3.9

Not tested on animals

NEW INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Bisabolol, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Glycerin, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Hydroxyphenyl Propamidobenzoic Acid, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Fumaric Acid, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Extract, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Cetyl Trimethyl Ammonium Chloride, Salix Alba Bark Extract, Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract, Glyceryl Caprylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Panthenol, Aminomethyl Propanol (05/2011). OLD INGREDIENTS: Lavandula Angustifolia(Lavendar) Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Extract, Fumaric Acid, Cucumis Sativis (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium CHloride Phosphate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Acrylkates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, AMinomethyl Propanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben 5/20/09

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

this is the best cleanser ive ever used! i have sensitive skin and this really helps to calm my skin down. after using this my skin feels smooth and soft! it also did not dry out my skin and didnt leave it tight or stinging. helps in removing excess makeup as well! i love love this! really recommend this cleanser for those who have sensitive skin

on 10/8/2017 3:50:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Best cleanser ever!!! I have sensitive, reactive and acne-prone skin and this is amazing. It's the only thing that calms my skin whilst cleansing. I can't tolerate most skincare and this is one of my must-haves.

Total HG, been using for at least 10-15 years and whenever I stray, my skin feels the consequences!

I find it super economical as a 500ml bottle with twice daily use lasts around a year. I buy dermalogica online ('Prodermal' in Australia) and with 20-30% off it's really reasonable. That being said, I've also purchased it full price in the beauty salon as it's the only thing that works for me.

I use this following the dermalogica Precleanse in the PM, and just this in the AM. I always use my trusty dermalogica Intensive Moisture Balance (moisturiser) after Cleansing. This combo works for me, but I recommend getting samples at the salon first (hated the 'active moist' and Skin smoothing' creams).

Some people recommend the Cetaphil cleanser, but that left a film on my skin, caused a breakout (probably because it didn't cleanse as well), required twice as much product and wasn't as calming on my skin.

Will continue to purchase as long as it's made. I don't however really like the dermalogica Ultra calming serum, so make sure you get samples from a salon before you buy.

Dermalogica also backs their products and offers a full refund (recieved one for the 'active moist') if the product causes a reaction. Always good to know you can get a refund if it doesn't work for you, which is very rare in Australia!!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I've been using dermalogica for years and I normally use the medibac clearing cleanser but I decided to try this because Salicylic Acid is just to harsh for my skin. Wow, I'm impressed. I decided to buy the ultra calming set, just to see if I liked all the products in this line before going ahead and spending the big bucks on the full sized product. My skin has never felt so plump and glowing. I've used the barrier repair for years but I will be purchasing the full-size of all four products that come in this set.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I used this just twice at my friend's house. So my experience is limited. As a face wash this cleaned my face well, did not cause a break out for me, I have combination skin and it doesn't take off the excessive oil from my tzone but it's expected as it has a bunch of oils in the ingredients. I imagine it would be too oily for those with oily skin and might cause break out if used daily. Any oil-rich product is better for dry/normal skin types.

Generally I prefer to not spend a lot of money on face washes and cleaning masks. Both of them stay on your face just for couple seconds or minutes, then you wash it off. So even if it has ingredients beneficial for skin they can't be THAT beneficial because again, you wash it off in a very short time. For me beneficial for skin care ingredients are for things that actually stay on your face like moisturizers or serums.

Unfortunately my eyes now force me to pay extra attention on face washes as well. I wouldn't call my skin too sensitive in general, but my eyes are. In fact as I'm writing this there's a chalazion on my left eyelid I have had for nearly two years now. I have a special eye shampoo but of course, when you wash your face with a face wash a little amount of it still goes down to your eye area from your forehead. I don't want to make the situation even worse for my eyes.

I couldn't find a product that was cheaper and had a bunch of anti-inflammatory essential oils without problematic ingredients like this one, if I can't find anything I will just purchase this. If you are not doing so well financially and don't need special care for your skin, I would say just go with a cheaper face wash. By "special care for skin" I mean "any not-calming product gives me trouble." If another face wash works for you but you also need an oil for a skin problem like cystic acne, you can still get an anti-inflammatory essential oil separately and use it on your face if you like, which would cost cheaper.

I have used another face wash and two creams from Dermalogica in the past, I'm almost sad to say they were all really good. Sad because it's expensive. Though I wouldn't necessarily call them overpriced considering the long list of ingredients and this face wash for example comes in a 250ml bottle which would typically last for a year for me. I don't know if I'm looking at the wrong product but after seeing some reviewers here comparing this face wash to Cetaphil, I went to their website and couldn't find any cleanser that had nearly as many ingredients as this product, but instead had parabens which is an ingredient I personally avoid as much as possible.

on 8/9/2016 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a very gentle cleanser. So gentle that it didn't remove my makeup, and I had to use Purity to get it off.

Using another cleanser to remove my makeup defeated the purpose of using a gentle cleanser for me.

When I use it on skin without makeup, it still didn't feel very clean. But, if I had damaged skin due to a peel, or sunburn, or something along those lines, I think this would then be the perfect cleanser.

Until I have something like that, this cleanser will sit in my cupboard.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this cleanser. I have very mild Rosacea and generalised sensitivity and this calms my skin and soothes redness immediately. It doesn't remove makeup which is annoying but I just use a micellar water or Lush Ultrabland first. Have been devoted to this cleanser for 12+ years.

I wanted to love this product, however it gave me rashes :-(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I agree with the people who say that this is like Cetaphil with essential oils. Unlike Cetaphil this doesn't dry my skin out as much and it doesn't have SLS which is a plus. The essential oils don't irritate my skin at all so I'm not bothered by them. I originally bought this because my skin is very sensitive and was having a freakout. It is a very good cleanser but I'm disappointed in it because it's nothing special in my opinion. My face is still a bit dry after cleansing and it just doesn't seem to be worth the money...I'm sure I can find something that's not over $30 to cleanse my face effectively. I do really like the simple white bottle though, it looks very clinical.

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT. I have had moderate rosacea (bumps, pustules, redness) for a little over a year now and I have tried everything including oral prescriptions, prescription cream (metro gel) , different vitamins and home remedies and nothing has cleared my skin the way this has. I have only been using the cleanser for 3 days in the morning and at night and I paired it with the Ultracalming moisturizer and it has seriously worked wonders. I would highly recommend it, especially for people with rosacea or just anyone who has sensitive skin.

on 7/21/2015 7:22:00 PM

This is my everyday face wash, makes skin feel very clean. You have to foam it up on your hands before applying onto your face though, and make sure you rinse it off thoroughly. Can dry you out if you don't use a moisturiser afterwards. Kind of expensive but lasts forever. You only need the tiniest bit for every use.