Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser

Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser

3.9

Not tested on animals

NEW INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Bisabolol, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Glycerin, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Butylene Glycol, Pentylene Glycol, Hydroxyphenyl Propamidobenzoic Acid, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Fumaric Acid, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Echinacea Purpurea Extract, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Cetyl Trimethyl Ammonium Chloride, Salix Alba Bark Extract, Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract, Glyceryl Caprylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Panthenol, Aminomethyl Propanol (05/2011). OLD INGREDIENTS: Lavandula Angustifolia(Lavendar) Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Extract, Fumaria Officinalis Extract, Fumaric Acid, Cucumis Sativis (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium CHloride Phosphate, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Cetrimonium Bromide, Acrylkates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, AMinomethyl Propanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben 5/20/09

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I used this just twice at my friend's house. So my experience is limited. As a face wash this cleaned my face well, did not cause a break out for me, I have combination skin and it doesn't take off the excessive oil from my tzone but it's expected as it has a bunch of oils in the ingredients. I imagine it would be too oily for those with oily skin and might cause break out if used daily. Any oil-rich product is better for dry/normal skin types.

Generally I prefer to not spend a lot of money on face washes and cleaning masks. Both of them stay on your face just for couple seconds or minutes, then you wash it off. So even if it has ingredients beneficial for skin they can't be THAT beneficial because again, you wash it off in a very short time. For me beneficial for skin care ingredients are for things that actually stay on your face like moisturizers or serums.

Unfortunately my eyes now force me to pay extra attention on face washes as well. I wouldn't call my skin too sensitive in general, but my eyes are. In fact as I'm writing this there's a chalazion on my left eyelid I have had for nearly two years now. I have a special eye shampoo but of course, when you wash your face with a face wash a little amount of it still goes down to your eye area from your forehead. I don't want to make the situation even worse for my eyes.

I couldn't find a product that was cheaper and had a bunch of anti-inflammatory essential oils without problematic ingredients like this one, if I can't find anything I will just purchase this. If you are not doing so well financially and don't need special care for your skin, I would say just go with a cheaper face wash. By "special care for skin" I mean "any not-calming product gives me trouble." If another face wash works for you but you also need an oil for a skin problem like cystic acne, you can still get an anti-inflammatory essential oil separately and use it on your face if you like, which would cost cheaper.

I have used another face wash and two creams from Dermalogica in the past, I'm almost sad to say they were all really good. Sad because it's expensive. Though I wouldn't necessarily call them overpriced considering the long list of ingredients and this face wash for example comes in a 250ml bottle which would typically last for a year for me. I don't know if I'm looking at the wrong product but after seeing some reviewers here comparing this face wash to Cetaphil, I went to their website and couldn't find any cleanser that had nearly as many ingredients as this product, but instead had parabens which is an ingredient I personally avoid as much as possible.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I want to preface this review by saying that both my sister and I suffer from hereditary hormonal cystic acne in our 20's. My sister is an aesthetician who was trained using Dermalogica products while she was in aesthetics school. She found the products to be of high quality and effective on her own acne prone skin. Therefor, when she graduated and went on to work in skin care salons, she was only interested in working for locations that used Dermalogica products.

Due to my sister's ~connections~, she often gives me samples to try or excess product from her personal stash. I have tried a multitude of cleansers for acne, but Dermalogica and not. I used to use Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel everyday twice a day with fairly good results. However, once I tried this cleanser, it replaced my Special Cleansing Gel. My acneic skin needed an additional method of exfoliation in the morning and at night and this does the trick.

Now, I wash my face every morning with this. At night, I used Dermalogica Precleanse to take off my makeup and cleanse my skin of dirt. Once I rinse that off, I follow it up with Ultra Calming Cleanser. It is both gentle and strong enough to help me combat my oil and tendency to get clogged pores. Since trying this cleanser, I have repurchased it several times over. I have probably been using it for at least two years and I have no reason to look for a replacement. Dermalogica is a great company! The only reason I took off two lippies is the price, but I find that it really is worth the cost.

To Read all 266 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/21/2015 7:22:00 PM

This is my everyday face wash, makes skin feel very clean. You have to foam it up on your hands before applying onto your face though, and make sure you rinse it off thoroughly. Can dry you out if you don't use a moisturiser afterwards. Kind of expensive but lasts forever. You only need the tiniest bit for every use.

I wanted to love this product, however it gave me rashes :-(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I agree with the people who say that this is like Cetaphil with essential oils. Unlike Cetaphil this doesn't dry my skin out as much and it doesn't have SLS which is a plus. The essential oils don't irritate my skin at all so I'm not bothered by them. I originally bought this because my skin is very sensitive and was having a freakout. It is a very good cleanser but I'm disappointed in it because it's nothing special in my opinion. My face is still a bit dry after cleansing and it just doesn't seem to be worth the money...I'm sure I can find something that's not over $30 to cleanse my face effectively. I do really like the simple white bottle though, it looks very clinical.

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT. I have had moderate rosacea (bumps, pustules, redness) for a little over a year now and I have tried everything including oral prescriptions, prescription cream (metro gel) , different vitamins and home remedies and nothing has cleared my skin the way this has. I have only been using the cleanser for 3 days in the morning and at night and I paired it with the Ultracalming moisturizer and it has seriously worked wonders. I would highly recommend it, especially for people with rosacea or just anyone who has sensitive skin.

on 3/3/2015 6:45:00 AM

I have suffered breakouts all my teenage years and although now it's not as bad as it used to be,I have scars and still do get regular spots and redness on my nose and cheeks. I also have combination skin,partially dry on cheeks and more oily on the t-zone. I have tried many brands before Dermalogica and nothing ever helped. I was also on antibiotics to help calm down my spots but the results were not long-lasting.

I was recommended the Dermalogica brand after a visit to a salon. I was told that I should try it out to see if it helps my skin and was given a few samples: Ultracalming Cleanser and Pre-Cleansing Gel .The samples lasted me one day (I wash and moisturize twice daily) and my skin did feel refreshed. I was skeptical about purchasing anything as I had a feeling it's just going to be another expensive brand claiming to improve your skin. I eventually gave in and purchased the Ultracalming Skin Kit. I liked the idea of purchasing small-sized bottles so I can try things out without wasting money on full-sized products. The kit contained Ultracalming Cleanser, Ultracalming Mist, Barrier Repair, Ultracalming Serum-Concentrate and a small sample of Ultracalming Eye Serum.

I used everything twice daily in the order recommended on the box the kit came in and it lasted me two weeks. After those two weeks I have to say I cannot remember the last time my skin felt and looked so good! I'm very impressed! The Ultracalming Cleanser melts off dirt and make-up very easily and leaves my skin feeling refreshed and soft. The mist doesnt make my skin feel much different but I guess it played its own part in this skin care routine. The Ultracalming Serum Concentrate was probably the main thing that improved my skin,it moisturized my skin wonderfully without making it feel greasy. And finally,the Barrier Repair gel gave my skin a nice soft finish but it was a little tricky to apply,it takes some time to evenly blend it all over the face :)

Unfortunately the full sized products are very expensive and range from 40 to 60 euro per bottle over here, so that's a big downside. But seeing how amazing my skin looks and feels I'd say its definitely worth it! It's important to remember that not all products will work for everyone, but I would definitely recommend giving this brand a chance and see how it works for you!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I bought this as part of a ultra-calming kit with 5 or 6 Dermalogica products that are supposed to calm the skin. This cleanser is semi thick, similar to Cetaphil. The cleanser did a pretty good job of removing my makeup, especially my eye makeup which usually lingers like raccoon eyes. There was no special smell that I can recall and honestly nothing special about this cleanser or the entire line. I will use up all the products because I hate wasting things, but won't repurchase.

This product is like a thicker version of Cetaphil, but with essential oils added. If you are allergic to essential oils like lavender oil, I would avoid this product like the plague.

If, however, you have the $50-odd dollars (CDN) to spend on a full-size bottle, and you do not have allergies to essential oils, feel free to try this cleanser. It won't hurt your skin, but it won't really give you massive results. I feel that I've gotten the same results as when I've used Cetaphil. For me, this product cleans without stripping and leaves my skin soft... the same as the Cetaphil did. The main difference is the cost, and it is for this reason that I won't be purchasing again.

on 7/24/2014 4:02:00 PM

I thought this cleanser was nothing special when I got it as part of the calming kit from Dermalogicia. I used it and I like the consistency. I love the slight lavender smell and it doesn't burn my rosacea skin.
After three weeks I am still using it and enjoying it every morning and night. I really like it - even though I don't think it is as amazing as the other products from Dermalogica.