Butter London Glazen Eye Gloss in Oil Slick

No Image

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This product is definitely worth the hype. I managed to get it when it was half off during the Ulta 21 days of beauty in September 2017, but I will probably buy more of the shades at full price because the formula is so unique. My favorite thing about this product is that it does definitely have some shimmery particles that float throughout but it doesn't feel gritty or glittery on the eye. In the pot, the shadow is this weird thick jelly texture that BL calls "pudding", which I think is a fairly apt description. You can't just stick your finger in the pot and get the shadow out; you have to swipe it a little bit to pick it up. Once I put it on the eye (I find that patting it and then swiping over it again with my finger works best), it lasts all day even without primer. It definitely sets and becomes budge-proof once it is dried. I've used it alone and with darker powder shadows in the crease and it works well both ways. In the pot Oil Slick looks like a weird brown-green melange, but on the skin the chocolatey brown base appears to be overlaid with a wet-looking iridescent glimmer that is very fine. I find the shimmer/glitter/whatever-it-is-called-magic to be similar to the shimmer from Urban Decay Moondust in Solstice. The way that the shimmer sits within the base definitely gives a lot of dimension and the shift between colors is apparent on the eyelid. I have tried it with brushes for applying under the eye and that works alright, but fingers are definitely my preferred application for this product. If you like a lot of shimmer or duochromatic color shift but you don't like gritty glitter then this is definitely a product for you.

on 1/16/2017 9:36:00 PM

I haven't written a review in a while but felt compelled to do so after trying Butter London's eye gloss in Oil Slick. Let me just say that this stuff is amazing. I have oily lids and usually cream or liquid-type shadows wear off or crease within hours but not this bad boy. After several hours out (and some under the dryer getting my hair colored) -- this product was still there with no creasing.

And the color? Amazing! It's this kind of reddish, greenish, purpleish sparkle-rich color that looks different in many types of light. Plus -- the sparkle factor -- can I just say how great this is? If you don't like sparkly shadows, then don't get this and then complain about it in a review. It's got lots of glittery fabulous sparkle but you can temper it with the amount of product you put on your eyes (i.e. less shadow is appropriate for work, more for evening). I work in a casual environment and feel comfortable wearing this.

Now, the glittery sparkle -- and this is the best part -- there is pretty much no fallout from this. None, it didn't get in my eyes/contacts, it didn't end up on my cheeks, it stayed where it was supposed to. And taking it off at night was a breeze BUT it has good staying power.

Oh, and lots of compliments on this too. Just to let you know that I'm pretty fair in complexion and this shadow was not too dark on me and can be layered for a darker effect.

Note that this is expensive and you get very little product but I use so little each time I've worn this that it should last for some time. And the texture of this? Ok, it's a little weird, kind of like Jello mixed with pudding. You need to get used to it, but once you do, it's pretty fun to work with.

So, all in all, I loved this and am trying Bronzed next, which I'm hoping is just as fabulous.

on 9/13/2016 2:52:00 PM

HG STATUS. I looooooooove this eye shadow!!! This is a new product from Butter London and I was curious to try it out. Totally exceeded my expectations! It looks BEAUTIFUL and wears fantastically. This is something that I want to wear every single day. It's that good.

BL's Glazen Eye Gloss is a different kind of eye shadow. Not quite a cream, not quite a gel. It's more like a whipped-jelly in a pot. Applies like a liquid (I just use a sponge-tipped applicator) and once it dries and sets it feels like NOTHING. No stickiness whatsoever. Lasts all day with some minimal creasing, and I have oily lids so that's fairly impressive.

There are four shades currently available, and Oil Slick was the most interesting-looking one to me. It's a hard shade to describe. It's a deep charcoal-purple with some reddish flashes and on top of that, it has iridescent green shimmer. Glittery but not tacky or over-the-top. Sounds like something a goth fairy would wear, but it's surprisingly wearable. And flattering. It just looks so PRETTY. I can't remember that last time I bought a makeup item that I enjoyed as much as this one.

The formula is very build-able, you can make this eye shadow as sheer or opaque as you want. It's very easy to work with.

I would give this ten lippies if I could. If you're on the fence about this one, I am happy to tell you that it is FABULOUS and I will absolutely buy it again. Highly Recommended!!!