Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit - Surreal Light

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit - Surreal Light
Ambient Lighting Edit - Surreal Light

4.6

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This palette is high quality, super handy and compact to have in your bag. But the colours do run orange. Not sure whose skin this would suit in orange hues but I still use it as the powder is so fine. I hardly touch the bronzer and the brown blush. I’d like to try MAC mineralization To compare.

on 6/29/2017 3:53:00 PM

All the shades are completely new, and feel so smooth! As someone who has pale skin the powder is a bit to dark so instead i use it on top of the bronzer to set it. The blush colours are beautiful and the highlight actually suits my complexion! Ovbiously the packaging is stunning but I do think the price is high. You are paying for the name but thankfully the quality lives up to the price.

on 1/19/2017 12:04:00 PM

Sadly, this palette is too dark for me. The large finishing powder is too yellow on my pale skin. The bronzer looks orange on me and the highlighter looks like tang on me. I do like the blushes but for the price, it's not worth it. I do love hourglass powders but this just doesn't work on my ass white skin. I couldn't get it to work on me. I went outside and I looked like a clown. I would think this would look better on medium skintones.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I resisted buying this when it first came out because of the $95CAD price tag. That is a crazy amount of money for the amount of product that you get. However, once I played with it in Sephora I couldn't help myself. This palette is GORGEOUS. The packaging is sturdy and beautiful, and the selection of products is great.

The Hourglass powders are unlike any other powers I've used. They're so incredibly fine in texture, they look like magic on the skin and I find myself reaching for them often because I just love the way they look.

- Ambient Lighting Powder in Surreal Light - I use this as a finishing powder after I've set my foundation to give a subtle glow to the skin. It's not a necessary step in my routine, but for nights out it gives the skin a wonderful 'lit from within' glow without being too shimmery.
- Ambient Lighting Bronzer in Surreal Bronze Light - I much prefer a matte bronzer because I often contour with it. However on my this actually makes a gorgeous nude blush, so that's how I wear it.
- Ambient Lighting Blush in Surreal Glow - cool to neutral pink with a hint of mauve.
- Ambient Lighting Blush in Surreal Effect - natural flushed pink with a hint of warmth. Pretty much the perfect everyday pink shade.
- Ambient Strobe Lighting Powder in Surreal Strobe Light - glimmering golden shade with a hint of peach. Not my first choice for a highlighter shade for my super fair skin (I prefer an ivory or cream shade) but it's still very pretty. Finely milled, looks great as a blush topper or highlight.

I've already reached for this a ton in the two weeks I've owned it and I can tell it's going to be my go-to face palette for travel.

Sure it's crazy expensive but it's amazing quality and it's practical enough that I'll get my money's worth. Very happy and would purchase another Hourglass palette in the future.

on 11/21/2016 10:56:00 PM

I love this more than I thought I would. I do appreciate Hourglass powders, but I've been trying more cream blushes and highligters as I feel they're kinder to skin that's showing signs of aging. However, I fell hard for the marble packaging so I picked it up during the VIb Rouge sale. I almost returned it but after using it I have found that it gives my skin a lovely finish and glow without the aging that some powders do. And I can bronze, blush, highlight and powder/finish in one pallete - perfect for rushed morning routines and for travel. Glad I have it and hope they continue to offer it because I will finish this one out.

on 11/19/2016 12:18:00 AM

I don't normally write reviews but for this one, I think I should. Just bought this pallette from Sephora and it blew me away! The price is steep BUT it is all worth it. I have medium fair asian skin and this is really perfect for me. I love everything about it! This is my first Hourglass product and I'm still thinking if I will but the vanish foundation as it doesn't have 5 stars reviews:)

IThis is my holy grail!!

on 10/4/2016 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I also bought last year's Hourglass Ambient Holiday Palette and have used it a lot, but this year's edition is even better for my NW15 skin. The shades are very soft and glowy, not glittery in the least. I used the Surreal Light palette on a recent trip and it was a great allrounder item that exceeded expectations. The finishing powder is beautiful, the blushes are soft toned and the bronzer is neutral toned and especially suitable for lighter skin. I'm not a big fan of the white faux marble plastic, I am fine with the line's custom bronze compacts, fingerprint prone as they are, but that's really a minor detail. Packaging is study and contains a very nice full size mirror in the lid. Very happy with this purchase.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This palette is beautiful, expensive yes, but just beautiful. I'm brunette with dark hazel eyes, medium skin tone that is neutral but leans olive, I tan easily, deep soft summer coloring if you follow those color categories. I look completely put together but not overdone with this. For everyday & travel this has everything I need. It's enough to play with so I can have fun without bringing 100 blushes, bronzer, highlight etc. I've worn it as eyeshadow as well paired with a dark lipstick & it was perfect amount of color so the eyes had some depth but not competing with my statement lip. The blushes are both gorgeous. They are easy to layer, but they don't over do it. I use the powder after concealing dark circles & spots & everything is diffused, long lasting, not too shiny, not too matte. Just lovely, glad I purchased.

I purchased this palette because I'm Vib Rouge and this is being offered to both Vib and Vib Rouge. Well being that I didn't get last years palette I purchase this one. I'm very happy with it but I think medium to dark skintones would not be happy with this palette. Straight up its a pale girls palette and if your not fair to light medium I feel you will be disappointed because you cannot use all the products. I'm very fair NW20 or below and the bronzer in this is light even by my standards. Actually to me it's perfect because it is that light.

I really love this palette because I can use every shade in this palette no problem. I love the new Surreal light it's supposed to give you that look around sundown where the sun is flattering on the skin. To me it does make my skin look better. It does make a difference and it's not sparkly at all. It goes on easy and works well with my skintone.

The two blushes in this palette are gorgeous my favorite being the lightest which is called Surreal Glow it's like a light pink blush to the skin. On me it looks really natural like no makeup, makeup blush. The other shade Surreal Effect is brighter and can be applied over the lighter blush. I hope they both get made into single blushes because they are beautiful! The bronzer as I mentioned is neutral and very light. I love it because it's the first bronzer that actually works with my skintone. Usually bronzers are too dark for me. With this I can use it and it looks natural not muddy.

Finally the strobe shade is called Surreal Strobe Light and it's peach with some sparkle but it's actually very flattering and applies better than it looks in the pan. I would say the highlight is my least favorite thing in the palette. But it's not bad by any means it's just not my favorite.

So for me personally I love this palette and will be using it a lot. What annoys me is that a darker palette would have been nice for people who cannot use shades this light. But I realize you can't please everyone but this was kinda like how could they not know that people with medium to deep skintones use there products?!? It's like they left out a whole demographic and that's kinda lame! Also for 80$ the product is small! So beware that you do not get a lot of product the total is under 10 grams and I have powders with 10 grams in them for a regular price. So you get a small amount for the money.

For me this was an early b- day gift so I'm not complaining. But I wish more people of different skintones and more product for the money would of been nice. Still the palette itself is gorgeous and I do love it. I've been using it daily and if you are fair to light medium I think you will love this because every shade just works.

on 10/1/2016 8:39:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I completely agree with your review. I use this everyday and it looks natural but adds a beautiful glow.