Milk Makeup Holographic Stick: Supernova

Milk Makeup Holographic Stick: Supernova

I'm kind of torn about this product. It looks super gorgeous on the cheekbones (a lovely blue purple shift) and the formula feels great, but honestly it doesn't last that long. Despite my dry skin, the product just disappears after an hour or two. Dusting finishing powder over it dulls the sheen, and sprays don't help. I think, until they work on the formula to make it last longer, I wouldn't repurchase.

on 7/2/2017 1:45:00 PM

This is one of those products that you don't think will be wearable, but you might find yourself reaching for it every day when you finally bring yourself to purchase it. This highlighter is a buildable, shimmery flushed purple - add a bit more to a daytime base, and you've got an edgy, unicorn-esque look for the night. It's very cool-toned, so it might not work for people with warmer undertones. For me, though, it works for more than just the cheekbones: I've used it for my browbone, neck, collarbones, and lids.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

My obsession with all beauty products labeled as holographic rages on, so I immediately scooped this up when it was back in stock at Sephora after it was OOS for months. The color is a shimmery (not glittery), iridescent bluish purple that is shockingly understated - I found I had to pile on quite a bit to reach the unicorn level of sheen I was craving. It's fine with me as I prefer buildable products anyway, and it's especially good for those who are wary of the holographic look and just want a little hint of magic. The texture is nice and creamy, not sticky, but this does pose a problem with layering. No matter how gently I patted a little powder blush on top, there was some fading/wearing off, hence my 4 lipstick rating. However, overall it's a great product and pretty unique. While there are similar shades out there, like the ones found in Anastasia Beverly Hills Moonchild Glow Kit, Milk's Holographic Stick stands out due to the texture and subtlety. If you want to dip your toe into the holographic trend instead of diving in, try this.

on 5/17/2017 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Unlike some of the other highlighters out on the market right now, this one applies with a very subtle finish which I prefer. If you are heavy handed with makeup, I'm sure you can continue to swipe it on and build up to a much more noticeable glow, but I prefer to keep things light. I can see this product lasting for quite some time given the amount of product.

It's very creamy, really easy to apply directly to face or with fingertips and melts into skin. Store it someplace cool as it seems like this would get messy if you are toting it around in really hot weather.

The staying power on this, unfortunately, is not that long (and I have normal to dry skin, so would imagine if you have oily skin, it'll wear off even faster).

This is a really unique product. Texture is really creamy but once it's on your skin it melts and feels slick. It's fun to apply. It shows up on your skin exactly how it looks in stick form but once you blend it in it has this dewy , sheen that's actually really pretty. My favorite thing about this is that there are no shimmer particles..it's just slightly metallic and gives my face a natural glow. But honestly I don't know what the blue hue does for my face..at moments I find it interesting..other times I feel it clashes with my skin tone... not sure if it actually flatters my face at all with the blue. Another thing I love about this is that my skin feels so smooth and looks brighter and more clear after I wash it off! I'm not sure if I'll rebuy this but I do like it :)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Super trendy-looking stuff from a new company like this makes me wary, but I stand corrected. My main concerns were it potentially pasting over my freckles for a chalky appearance or its purple tone making my fair-but-warm complexion look sallow. It's done neither and actually gives a pretty sophisticated finish with a beautiful, unique effect. The violet tone actually brightened up my face a bit instead of just emphasizing the yellow, so I get the feeling it would work on lots of different skin shades. Applied to my browbone and cheekbones, I was happy to find that the very fine shimmer particles plus the high oil content made it read as a delicate, blue-violet sheen rather than glittery or a dry shimmer. I could only see the tiniest trace of pigment away from the sunlight if I looked extremely closely, but if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't be able to tell (darker skin probably can, though).

The deodorant-stick housing feels sturdy with a tight, screw-on lid and is nice for swiping directly onto my cheeks and lips. Again, the number of oils in here make it super blendable and you can work at your leisure. I haven't carried it around in hot weather, though, so I can't speak for how melty it may get. You get a whopping 1 oz of product, too, so I consider the $28 a pretty good deal.

More about the lips. I'm a picky baby who goes through Burt's Bees at the speed of light and I'm fairly pleased with how the holographic stick feels. Castor and avocado oil plus a couple of waxes at the top of the ingredient list seem friendly enough. Used without a clear balm, however, it reads more opaque and builds up to a frosty finish after a couple reapplications, which isn't my favorite look.

Longevity and migration: I have pretty dry skin and it was still going strong on color and dewiness after the workday without reapplication. The formula stays tacky, but that's the way it's gonna be if you want a really moisturized finish... having short hair helps :) It stays put once I apply and doesn't slide into weird places. I'm not sure how it behaves over medium-to-heavy foundation since I only do a barely-there base, but at least it's given me no problems there. Used on eyelids, it'll crease right up. I like that effect on occasion, but just be warned!

Overall, I'm much happier with this than I expected to be and I see it being in my regular rotation.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm a huge fan of lavender/lilac so I thought this would be perfect for me. However, the micro shimmer killed it for me since I prefer a sheen or shine versus glitter. I will not purchase.

on 9/11/2016 12:52:00 AM

I have been on a highlighter kick as of late and when I saw this lavender, bluish, otherworldly highlight I wanted to try it. I'm a big fan of all things space and this product is said to have meteorite powder in it and it actually does! Iron Oxide is the last ingredient on the list but it's there and Iron Oxide is the main component in meterorites. So I purchased this and I really like it. The stick itself is loaded with some good skincare like avocado oil, and other oils. I like to apply it with my fingers or with a brush. You can just glide it on but I find it moves my foundation. So, dabbing it on with my fingers works well. If I'm not wearing foundation I would just swipe it on. The twist up stick makes this easy to use and great for travel.

The colour Supernova is really beautiful, the purple shade is gorgeous. This product is very emollient so I think this would work well with most skintypes. I can see oily skin it might wear off quicker but if I set it properly I have no issues. My skin is combination and I find this wears well and for quite a long time. When this hits the light it looks so pretty. I'm very fair and cool toned and I find this works well with my NW20 or below skintone. It could feel heavy if I put on too much but you really don't need much and you get a lot of product for the price. I don't think I could ever use this up before it expires. So $$ wise it's not a bad investment especially since you get so much. I said I would repurchase but I doubt I'll ever need to unless this stick dries up. Other than that I'm looking forward to trying more Milk products. :)