Redken Water Wax [DISCONTINUED]

Redken Water Wax [DISCONTINUED]

3.8

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is just meh. I have Medium length (1 inch below shoulders) fine, straight hair that tens to be be dry and flyaway. If you use too much of this stuff, your hair will look more greasy. My boyfriend commented that it took the "Life" out of my hair. It looked kinda limp. He was right. But I gave it to my teenage son who has ultra thick wavy hair and he likes it for texture and it works much better on his hair type. I was hoping to get that piecy look with this but it failed miserably for me. It's expensive but I can see this jar lasting forever. It will probably go "bad" before you use it all. So fine hair folks, not good. Wavy, coarse hair, yes.

on 6/18/2006 6:53:00 PM

PROS - Holds relatively well. Decent/moderate control for my short, stick straight hair. Can be applied to damp (for general shine and control) or dry hair (better for piecy look). Easy to refresh hairstyle with damp hands. Does not leave a greasy feel to my hair. Simple, travel-friendly plastic tub, with finger-friendly wide opening and screw top lid.

CONS - Not good for maintain a truly piecy look very long.

Overall - Opalescent, clear, firm gel/pomade. Very slight, mild aroma. Washes out easily. Product texture reminds me of Paul Mitchell Wax Works, but this is packaged in a tub and has less staying power. Reliable pomade. One lippie off b/c I would like a little more control/hold. (In Redken's defense, though, this product has a control/hold level of 3, so it's not intended for the level of hold I want.)
continued >>

on 1/1/2006 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

My hairstyle changes frequently and this is the product I go back to whenever I do shorter/layered hairstyles. I have straight hair that has a tiny bit of natural wave at the ends, so I'm prone to frizzies...Redken's water wax helps in defining layers while smoothing the hair shaft down a bit. I like using it better than a regular shine serum because it has a tiny amount of holding power and texturizing properties. This is the only "wax" that I'll use...comparable products labeled as waxes are just that -- very hard to work with and will rip your hair out unless you have a very short cropped haircut. This is more like a very firm gel in a jar. It has that pool blue color with some shimmer particles. I suppose this adds shine to my hair...but if I have any color treatments in, I always need to use a glossing spray to get any sheen back in. Nice product overall...I do stress that it works better for short cuts, unless you just want to apply it to hair ends.

on 8/10/2004 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This product is a great finishing product for my short hair. I used Bumble and Bumble styling wax for a long time, but I am liking the Redken better. It seems lighter and easier to use than the B&B. It is a little sticky, however.

on 6/13/2001 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My favorite wax/pomade, although Kusco-Murphy's is now giving it a run for its money. It is cheaper than the KM, and has a beautiful scent. There is some shimmer in the wax, but I don't notice any on my medium-brown hair with blond highlights. It's a softer wax than KM or Sheer Blonde, and it rinses easily off the hands and out of the hair. I think in the control department, KM might be slightly better, but KM is a stiffer wax. Points off the packaging quality because I notice that the words printed on the sides of the jar rub off pretty fast.

Popular Styling Products