Redken Water Wax [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Redken Water Wax [DISCONTINUED]

3.5

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Total HG pomade. It gives the perfect amount of shine and hold to lay frizzies down. It's also water based so your hair doesn't look greasy nor are you left with a gunky feel in your hairl. Start of with a small amount rubbed between palms and slide down through hair.

on 12/6/2010 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have had this in my drawer for at least 7 years. Somehow its half way gone. I think I keep it and use it off and on hoping I will like it some day.

WELL TODAYS THE DAY !!

I finally 'get' the name. Water wax. Its not heavy. I have fine, wavy color treated hair that I usually wear straight or curled, and its layered. I also have bangs that I have kind of texturized and wear kind of to the side, with a major cowlick in the front.

I've used this the last few days - I rotate thru Jonathan Dirt and some stuff by Aveda, and I've noticed this is SUPER clean. Not oily, not heavy and I can use it on my bangs and they don't look dirty and gross a day later. I like to go about 4 days between washings and this doesn't seem to propel me closer to a wash than other pomade/wax products do.

WOW. It also seems to volumize. And all very lightly. I am impressed. I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out. I put this on my hair dry as a final 'finishing' product.

on 4/20/2008 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I first want to mention that I have long, thin, and slightly wavy hair that I usually air dry with some curl enhancing product for a wavy-beachy look. The last time I had my hair cut, it was with a new stylist and she recommended I use this along with Biosilk's Silk Therapy. The results she'd given my hair was such that I had to go out and get it myself. I was extremely put off by the price (around $16+tax at Trade Secret) but gone ahead and bought it. I kind of wish I'd returned it now though since it's just an okay product. The product itself has a nice smell and a fun clear/rainbowish color to it which I like but it's very sticky and a bit hard to work with. I usually use a little at a time by getting a bit of moisture from my damp hair and mixing the wax within my fingers and that seems to work pretty well. One fact I do like about it is that it doesn't leave me with a crunchy or hard finish to my waves and it holds up pretty well throughout the day. I did have to deduct 2 lippies though for its stickyness and the hard to work factor. Would not buy again because I'm pretty certain I can find something better or of equal quality at a lower price.

on 2/28/2008 11:43:00 AM

Out of any waxes or pomades, I like this one best. It's lighter than the other ones I've tried. I like to use it to keep my side swept bangs in place but not stiff and unnatural. It has a pleasant smell to it and it's not very sticky nor does it dull the hair like some do. It lasts a looong time.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I agree with another reviewer...this stuff absorbs and then basically doesn't do anything after awhile. It also left my hair greasy even though I did not use that much of this product. I do tend to have an oily scalp...so this is probably not best for people with that type of hair...for drier I bet it would be great. I also thought it was so expensive!!! This stuff was $17 with tax at ulta...too much to me. I ended up taking this back today and getting my money back.

on 6/18/2006 6:53:00 PM

PROS - Holds relatively well. Decent/moderate control for my short, stick straight hair. Can be applied to damp (for general shine and control) or dry hair (better for piecy look). Easy to refresh hairstyle with damp hands. Does not leave a greasy feel to my hair. Simple, travel-friendly plastic tub, with finger-friendly wide opening and screw top lid.

CONS - Not good for maintain a truly piecy look very long.

Overall - Opalescent, clear, firm gel/pomade. Very slight, mild aroma. Washes out easily. Product texture reminds me of Paul Mitchell Wax Works, but this is packaged in a tub and has less staying power. Reliable pomade. One lippie off b/c I would like a little more control/hold. (In Redken's defense, though, this product has a control/hold level of 3, so it's not intended for the level of hold I want.)
continued >>

on 1/25/2006 11:01:00 PM

My medium-thick shoulder length hair with layers fares so much better with an oilier product. This stuff just doesn't do it for me. It feels like it melts into my hair and then does nothing.

on 6/13/2001 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My favorite wax/pomade, although Kusco-Murphy's is now giving it a run for its money. It is cheaper than the KM, and has a beautiful scent. There is some shimmer in the wax, but I don't notice any on my medium-brown hair with blond highlights. It's a softer wax than KM or Sheer Blonde, and it rinses easily off the hands and out of the hair. I think in the control department, KM might be slightly better, but KM is a stiffer wax. Points off the packaging quality because I notice that the words printed on the sides of the jar rub off pretty fast.