Redken Water Wax [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Redken Water Wax [DISCONTINUED]

3.3

on 4/14/2010 10:19:00 PM

I have very fine hair, but lots of it, and with my new ultra short pixie cut I wanted something to keep the 'piecy' look and mega shine going. So I bought almost everything and this was amongst my "haul".

This product does nothing for me. Even a dime sized amount makes my hair look "dirty"/greasy. It doesn't shine at all. It dries up after about an hour and it looks like you didn't wash your hair AND you didn't put any styling product in. Not nice.

I much prefer Aveda Brilliante for shine and Sebastian Molding Mud for "piecing out" the ends. Just my .02!

on 10/24/2007 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This makes a nice pomade for a pieced, fairly texturized look. It's a bit sticky so i put a little water an rub together with my fingers and then apply. It softly spikes out my ends nicely and leaves my hair looking defined and shiny.

on 9/28/2007 9:40:00 PM

Cant believe I havent written a review on this stuff yet. Have been using this for years and have turned some friends onto this stuff. Its very lightweight, not sticky and has a very light fragrance. Its great for separation & helps w/the flyaways. BTW I have very thick & coarse hair. Im probably on my 3rd jar which for me to repurchase a product doesnt happen very often. One of my hgs.

on 5/14/2007 8:02:00 PM

I bought this wax as an impulse purchase. Initially I did no like it and I contemplated taking it back {bought at Trade Secret}, but I gave it a second chance. I have short thick relaxed African American hair and I use this to smooth down the edges of my hairline. I like that is alcohol free so its not drying and it doesn't flake. It has a pretty decent hold and the smell is quite nice. I took a lippie off for two reasons: I have to warm the wax to make it spreadable and the price. But a little does go a long way

on 12/2/2006 11:19:00 PM

I LOVE this product!!! I have ultra fine, straight, dark hair. I've recently added platinum highlights and I use it to chunk them out. It really makes them stand out and gives my fine hair volume. It's absolutely fabulous!! Do be careful to only use a small amount and make sure your warm it up with your hands before dabbing it into hair.

on 6/18/2006 6:53:00 PM

PROS - Holds relatively well. Decent/moderate control for my short, stick straight hair. Can be applied to damp (for general shine and control) or dry hair (better for piecy look). Easy to refresh hairstyle with damp hands. Does not leave a greasy feel to my hair. Simple, travel-friendly plastic tub, with finger-friendly wide opening and screw top lid.

CONS - Not good for maintain a truly piecy look very long.

Overall - Opalescent, clear, firm gel/pomade. Very slight, mild aroma. Washes out easily. Product texture reminds me of Paul Mitchell Wax Works, but this is packaged in a tub and has less staying power. Reliable pomade. One lippie off b/c I would like a little more control/hold. (In Redken's defense, though, this product has a control/hold level of 3, so it's not intended for the level of hold I want.)
continued >>

on 1/25/2006 11:01:00 PM

My medium-thick shoulder length hair with layers fares so much better with an oilier product. This stuff just doesn't do it for me. It feels like it melts into my hair and then does nothing.

My hair dresser recommends this aftr i cut side swept bangs.Well, as it claims, it's a water wax, so it dun really feels sticky on our hair n will leave a soft-hair-fall look.I found it only works on my bangs but didnt really smooth out my baby hair n flyawayz.So so product.

I tried straigtening my hair with this product, but i won't be doing that again! Worst product ever bought. The only thing it did do my hair was make it greasy and gross looking, it was also heavy. Didn't help straighten my hair at all. At $15 it is $15 overpriced. Save your money for Murray's $2 pomade! Trust me.

on 8/15/2004 1:38:00 AM

ahh, this stuff did nothing for me, but then i think it's meant for those with short, peicy cuts. I have just-past sholder length hair, and i tried to make this work. i tried to use it to slick back my pony tail, but it just looked greasy. i tried to use it to define my layers in front of my face, and even though i used a tiny bit, it just got all glumpy. oh, and the product buildup it caused on my super-fine hair was dreadful! i had to scrub like there is no tommorow. i would imagine this would be great for someone who NEEDS a pomade to keep their cut in shape, otherwise, i wouldnt go near it.

Popular Styling Products