Essie Gel Couture Top Coat

Essie Gel Couture Top Coat

3.6

on 6/2/2018 6:36:00 AM

Amazeballs! I put it over any & all polish and get a week!!!

This stuff is so good. It has replaced Essie’s own Good To Go as my holy grail top coat. Now, I don’t use it with the matching Gel Coture polishes, I just use it with my original Essie, OPI, SinfulColors etc... and have no issues. It works with all polishes. I love how this top coat makes my nails feel hard and sturdy. It definitely increases the durability of my manicures, and as someone who is hard on my hands, I love it. It prevents chipping and tipwear. It dries fairly quickly, despite not claiming to be quick drying. It also has an incredibly shiny finish. The shine remains throughout the duration of the manicure too (which is usually 5-7 days with this top coat), so I don’t have to add extra top coat for extra shine. The polish applies easily too, with no dragging. I love this top coat and highly recommend it. I will definitely be repurchasing when I finish my bottle.

I have used every type of polish and topcoat. This is definitely the best formula for longer lasting nail manicures. Mine don’t last a week, but compared to my usual one to two days, this polish lasts about four days!

on 5/16/2018 1:54:00 PM

This top coat shrinks at the tips causing peeling.

on 5/9/2018 1:44:00 PM

When I use this in conjunction with another Essie Couture nailpolish, it definitely lasts a week. When paired with another nail polish underneath, there is a lot of shrinkage. Overall, this is one of the best topcoats I have tried (and I've been through MANY). It leaves my nails really shiny and prolongs the wear of the nail polish. I can deal with the shrinkage since the other benefits are quite strong.

on 3/16/2018 11:01:00 AM

I've been using Essie polishes for many years now and I was pretty certain this would be a decent product. I've been using it for a few months now, and I could not figure out why my manicures looked so shoddy. My polish would chip VERY easily, and peel off in sheets. It would also shrink and start developing deep creases running along the nail within a few days. Basically after a day or two, my mani would start looking worse for wear, and my manicures ALWAYS used to last me easily a week with only fading at the tips. I was about to give up and start going to the salon for shellac, but then one day I dug out my trusty old bottle of Essie Good to Go and I saw the difference immediately. All the issues I was having disappeared. So unfortunately, this is a huge pass for me. I will revert back to my old favorite (Good to Go) as it dries fast, and wears long!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I’m really getting good results with this. I ran out of my usual quick dry top coat which isn’t readily available at CVS etc. so I grabbed one of these.
This dries quickly which I love, but is also thick and provides good shine and protection. I mainly use it on my toes after getting a pedi. I have the pedicurist skip the top coat and apply this later myself. Otherwise my toes take forever to dry. They tend to chip quickly, in general. But this helps.
I also love the bottle. I can leave it out for applications because it’s that pretty and inconspicuous. Sounds silly but that helps me remember to use it.

on 1/5/2018 4:25:00 PM

This is a very good alternative for the Chanel Le Gel TC and far better than the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel TC. Pros: - long-lasting glossy look (check application tips beneath) - acceptable price range - works with classic Essie polishes or other brands - stays liquid in the bottle for a good time - dries quiet fast - bottle shape is easy to hold between 2 fingers - brush is not too wide nor too narrow Cons: Doesn’t dry as fast and as hard as the Chanel Le Gel TP but way faster than the Sally Hansen (which I dislike). How to do a mani that lasts a week with this TC? - Day 1: basecoat (I use Essie too), 2 layers of colour, 1 layer Essie Gel Couture TC Slip on some Solar Oil on my tips to nourish and protect - I generally polish before bedtime. - Day 4: wash hands and reapply 1 coat of colour and finish with another coat of EGC TC. My mani lasts from Sunday till Sunday if I’m careful with dishes, baths etc. The difference for me is that on day 4 my nails are good enough to just retouch tipwear and restore gloss, whereas in the past I had to redo my mani by midweek.

on 12/21/2017 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am on my first go-round with Essie Gel Couture (long wearing hybrid lacquer) and my jury is still out. It is hard to judge after only 2 days the true performance of this top coat - plus my technician used a braand-new bottle so the formula was not gloopy/clumpy or thickened in any way - thus it applied like a dream.

So far - seems fine. Will need to wait longer and experiment more.
So far 6 days with one tiny scratch.

Expensive ($12 per bottle).

I bought this top coat and the color for underneath. Lasted about 12 hours until I took a shower and it started peeling.

Popular Top/Base Coats