Essie Gel Couture Top Coat

Essie Gel Couture Top Coat

3.2

on 5/16/2018 1:54:00 PM

This top coat shrinks at the tips causing peeling.

on 5/9/2018 1:44:00 PM

When I use this in conjunction with another Essie Couture nailpolish, it definitely lasts a week. When paired with another nail polish underneath, there is a lot of shrinkage. Overall, this is one of the best topcoats I have tried (and I've been through MANY). It leaves my nails really shiny and prolongs the wear of the nail polish. I can deal with the shrinkage since the other benefits are quite strong.

on 3/16/2018 11:01:00 AM

I've been using Essie polishes for many years now and I was pretty certain this would be a decent product. I've been using it for a few months now, and I could not figure out why my manicures looked so shoddy. My polish would chip VERY easily, and peel off in sheets. It would also shrink and start developing deep creases running along the nail within a few days. Basically after a day or two, my mani would start looking worse for wear, and my manicures ALWAYS used to last me easily a week with only fading at the tips. I was about to give up and start going to the salon for shellac, but then one day I dug out my trusty old bottle of Essie Good to Go and I saw the difference immediately. All the issues I was having disappeared. So unfortunately, this is a huge pass for me. I will revert back to my old favorite (Good to Go) as it dries fast, and wears long!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I’m really getting good results with this. I ran out of my usual quick dry top coat which isn’t readily available at CVS etc. so I grabbed one of these.
This dries quickly which I love, but is also thick and provides good shine and protection. I mainly use it on my toes after getting a pedi. I have the pedicurist skip the top coat and apply this later myself. Otherwise my toes take forever to dry. They tend to chip quickly, in general. But this helps.
I also love the bottle. I can leave it out for applications because it’s that pretty and inconspicuous. Sounds silly but that helps me remember to use it.

on 1/5/2018 4:25:00 PM

This is a very good alternative for the Chanel Le Gel TC and far better than the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel TC. Pros: - long-lasting glossy look (check application tips beneath) - acceptable price range - works with classic Essie polishes or other brands - stays liquid in the bottle for a good time - dries quiet fast - bottle shape is easy to hold between 2 fingers - brush is not too wide nor too narrow Cons: Doesn’t dry as fast and as hard as the Chanel Le Gel TP but way faster than the Sally Hansen (which I dislike). How to do a mani that lasts a week with this TC? - Day 1: basecoat (I use Essie too), 2 layers of colour, 1 layer Essie Gel Couture TC Slip on some Solar Oil on my tips to nourish and protect - I generally polish before bedtime. - Day 4: wash hands and reapply 1 coat of colour and finish with another coat of EGC TC. My mani lasts from Sunday till Sunday if I’m careful with dishes, baths etc. The difference for me is that on day 4 my nails are good enough to just retouch tipwear and restore gloss, whereas in the past I had to redo my mani by midweek.

on 12/21/2017 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am on my first go-round with Essie Gel Couture (long wearing hybrid lacquer) and my jury is still out. It is hard to judge after only 2 days the true performance of this top coat - plus my technician used a braand-new bottle so the formula was not gloopy/clumpy or thickened in any way - thus it applied like a dream.

So far - seems fine. Will need to wait longer and experiment more.
So far 6 days with one tiny scratch.

Expensive ($12 per bottle).

I bought this top coat and the color for underneath. Lasted about 12 hours until I took a shower and it started peeling.

on 7/10/2017 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Love, love, love! It keeps my manicure shiny and longer! It also dries quick!

on 6/3/2017 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a wonderful top coat that adds shine and durability. It definitely prevents chipping and extends wear-time by a few extra days. The formula is thick, but dries quickly. It is superior to most other topcoats I have tried in the past. It adds a more professional, polished look to the home manicure. One coat creates that thick, shiny gel manicure look. It find it is equally effective when applied over other brands of nail polish as well, not just Essie.

on 4/24/2017 8:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Grey, Kinky, Medium

I LOVE the Essie Gel Couture colors & own several BUT I'm not particularly fond of the matching topcoat. It doesn't really do anything for my manicure & I can do just as well (or better, actually) using other fast-dry topcoats I already own, like Seche Vite. For some reason, I still get some shrinkage using only the Essie Gel Couture color + topcoat combo, so I'm better off using Seche anyway. It's my first bottle of this topcoat, knowing that it's meant to be paired with the companion colors, but in the future I won't need to re-buy the topcoat

I'm also not keen on the opaque white bottle in which I can't see the remaining supply level. I like to be able to see what I have left to work with. The brush/wand setup is good enough (straight) but much better in the colors (twisted wand, nice curved flat brush).

The formula is where I'm most unhappy. Besides the aforementioned shrinkage to a fresh manicure right off the bat, the consistency dries rather thin looking, leaving random texture, minor blemishes or unevenness on the surface no matter how carefully I apply, so my dried manicure never even looks like a nice regular salon manicure, let alone a glossy gel one. Therefore, every time I do my mani with this topcoat, I invariably have to follow up after it dries (either same day or next day) with a more "cushy" topcoat for the smoothness, shine & volume I find lacking in this product. And if my mani's not really glossy, what's the point?

Will continue to buy more of the colors - the chip-free durability of this polish line is phenomenal to me - & will continue to use up this topcoat (then repurpose the empty bottle), but I won't need to buy it again (it's too average to be worth the cost). Gel Couture polish lasts just as long on me (seems like forever!) no matter which topcoat I use anyway (usually Seche).

UPDATE 5/17/17 -
Well, I take it back....this topcoat isn't so bad as I originally thought, so I bumped up my rating 1 lippie from 3 to 4. I still don't like it much as a beginning topcoat for a fresh manicure. As I said, I'll stick with Seche Vite for that. But I really like this now as a refresher topcoat to re-smooth & shine up my dulling mani mid-week. Applies easily & streak-free. I love the shape (curved tip) & width (not overly wide, plus flat) & length (long!) of the brush. Still don't like the opaque bottle, but maybe it's needed to prevent formula degradation from light exposure over time (I store polish bottles in a cool, dark drawer anyway). Yeah, maybe I'll repurchase this....but only @ a lower price. No reason to pay full price.