Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

on 9/26/2017 8:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I think this is a good concealer. It's very thick and provides full coverage (probably the fullest I've experienced so far, and I've used MAC Pro Longwear). I think if you have oily skin, you'll do well with this, as it's long lasting and doesn't crease (I don't set with powder, and it still stays in place). If you have dry skin, I would make sure to use a moisturising eye cream to ensure that the product doesn't cake up on or dry out your skin.

I bought it because of all the hype (I watch a lot of YouTube videos - I really should stop). I think it's very expensive for what it is. The shade range, while acceptable, I guess, isn't varied enough. For example, I prefer warmer undertones for my concealer, and the Shape Tape has a grey cast to it. For this reason alone, I have to be very light-handed with this, because if I add too much, my undereyes will almost look ghost-like which isn't a good look. With NARS Creamy Radiant Concealer (or even with MAC Pro Longwear or Becca Aqua Luminous Concealer), I can be a bit heavy-handed with the product, and I'll still look fine as long as I blend properly. With Tarte, I'll end up looking like a ghost. Not cool.

I won't repurchase, as I think Tarte needs to come out with a few warmer shades to make this product more attractive for me. I also prefer my other staples (which I already mentioned above).

I bought Rich, which is just one down from the darkest. For reference, I'm Sandalwood in Becca (Ultimate Coverage), Deep Spice in Estee Lauder (Double-Wear), Benares in NARS (Sheer Glow), NC50 in MAC.

on 5/3/2017 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Probably the most full coverage concealer I’ve ever used. Because it’s so concentrated and thick, I have to be careful of the amount I use. 2 or 3 dots under the eyes of is enough. Too much turns my under eyes into a dry, caked mess. If you are dry skinned definitely use a moisturizing eye cream. I do like the product but I prefer a concealer that isn’t so drying and thick.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

First off, let me start by saying that I believe this product is way overhyped. I believe that if it wasn't for the huge exposure and sponsorships from beauty gurus and Youtubers, this product wouldn't be as hyped up as it was.

I feel like its only fair to start with what I liked about this product. Once again, Tarte has done a wonderful job with the packaging. Not only does the packaging look cute, this product also has a huge doe foot applicator which is similar to the one in the Clinique Beyond Perfecting Foundation. The applicator makes it quick and easy to disperse product evenly over the face. Also, because the formula is thick, you only need a little bit of product to get the job done, which therefore, in my opinion, justifies the price.

With that all said, I'm still not impressed with this concealer. The shade range is not all that great. I ended up purchasing Tan Sand, which was recommended to me by an Ulta employee. I found that the shade was a little light for me, so I looked into getting a different shade (P.S. I should mention that I like a highlighted under eye, but not a REALLY highlighted under eye, if you know what I mean. Tan Sand gave me that really highlighted under eye that I didn't like) The next shade in their shade range is Deep, which is exactly my skin tone, so with that said, I feel that Tarte needs just needed one more shade to fill in the gap. Also because the formula is so thick, the concealer creases on you like crazy. I even tried to use small amounts to prevent this, but no matter what I did, it would still crease on me.

In conclusion, I wanted to like this product so badly, but it just didn't work out for me. I feel like if they added maybe 1 or 2 more shades for women of color as well as reformulate the product do that it doesn't crease as much, then I would most definitely consider repurchasing

on 1/13/2017 1:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I love the finish of this concealer. It has next level coverage and seriously does not crease. I also love the applicator on this. It's just the right size to pick up the right amount of product. My only con is that the shade range is lacking! Tarte needs to do better with their available shades. Overall, I highly recommend this to any one who likes full coverage concealer that lasts all day.

I have a full review and swatches on my blog!

on 10/10/2016 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

This is an amazing concealer. I bought it in deep for my NW45 complexion. Love the huge applicator, the color is perfect for a subtle highlight and it lasts all day without creasing. I powder like a fiend as I have oily skin so I am sure that helps. This past summer 2016 was the summer for foundations and concealer and I bought so many of them because a flawless base is the foundation of this obsession I have with makeup. I am glad to add this to the rotation. It is an excellent product so far. Also, it is cheaper than many of its high end counterparts because of the amount in the container. I will be purchasing again.