Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

3.8

on 2/7/2019 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Oh my goodness! I am amazed with this wonderful product. The only concealer I've ever purchased and used was Amazing Concealer. I used to use concealer only occasionally, so it rarely caused cysts. But these days I find myself needing concealer more and more. Amazing Concealer, beautiful as it is, destroys my skin with regular use. Aging is bad enough without bringing on the cystic acne to join the wrinkles.

I didn't really think it was possible to find a "creaseless" concealer, or a concealer that did not need to be set with "dreaded" powder (not so good around the eyes anymore). Shape Tape makes so very very happy. It costs less than Amazing Concealer, it doesn't crease, it doesn't need powder, and it covers beautifully. 34S Medium Sand it the shade for me. It's lighter than my skin/foundation, but it "melts in" and brightens all day long. So far, so good in the breakout department. I can definitely use this a few days in a row without a problem. Hopefully this will continue. If so, I've found a staple for sure!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

WORTH THE HYPE! I’ve been eyeing this for a while and hadn’t gotten it because they don’t have it in-store at Sephora and I couldn’t tell online what shade I would be. While placing an order from Ulta, I looked up a YouTube review of someone who looked like they had similar skin tone to mine. I’ve been using FitMe and Age Rewind but neither erases my inherited dark circles, even with color corrector and both require setting powder to reduce creasing.
I ended up getting 37G- medium tan as it appeared closest to my skin tone. As previous reviews have said, the applicator is huge...think lip gloss on steroids. I was cautious about the ridiculous size so I just put three small dots under my eye and blended it oh with a NYX blending sponge.
Holy sh*t! This went all under my eye and up to my cheekbone...as if I had done that whole triangle of concealer under the eye! Whatever color they mixed in seemed to counteract the sallow color of my dark circles without creating a gray cast like other concealers do (yes, even with a peach-tone corrector). Usually, there is coloring between my normal skin and my attempts at hiding my dark circle...not obvious but enough concealer/corrector/powder that no one is thinking I am wearing make-up.

on 8/11/2018 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I received a sample and it seemed like it was working well for the few days I tried it. I bought a tube and ended up not loving it for the long run. I'm a light-medium, neutral to warm/yellow shade and found that light-medium was a fine match, even though it said online it was for pink undertones. While this did provide coverage, it was too high maintenance for me. I prefer to use my fingers to apply concealer under my eyes to warm the product and get it patted in. Same for blemishes. For me, I find it gives the most natural looking coverage (I don't wear foundation or any face color, just concealer when needed). I have and use Tarte maricuja creaseless concealer and it applies this way great. I couldn't really get this to warm up and pat in. I sort of could, but it needed a brush or sponge to really pat or blend it in. This was WAY too dry for my skin, and caked and creased, even when I applied very little. I think if you do a ful, face of primer, blending, etc this might work well. This did provide good coverage with very little, just like my previous Tarte concealer, but the consistency just wasn't working for me. I returned it and will look for something else when the time comes. For now I'll use my Tarte maricuja concealer since I have quite a bit left and use so little.

on 8/11/2018 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I have never tried a concealer better than this one! It's full coverage, lasts all day, and never creases (which is rare for me because my undereyes crease constantly with every other concealer I've used). You get a lot of product for your money as well. Overall, I am thoroughly impressed with this product, I genuinely believe I will use it for the rest of my life!!!

on 4/20/2018 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

This concealer is my go to. I’m in my late 20’s and have pretty oily skin. A little goes a long way and blending this is like a dream. It looks best when blended with a damp beauty blender. Then translucent pore diminishing powder on top, but it could do without. The wand is chunky which is good because it covers just the right amount of surface area with one swipe under each eye. I will say, this is not a light, liquidy concealer - it is very thick and creamy. So a little goes a long way. This covers my dark circles like a dream. I’ve never seen it look powdery so idk what other reviewers mean but I will def be purchasing again. The only con with this is that it’s kinda messy after a while of inserting and removing the wand so the product gets built up and stuck on the rim where you screw it (kinda gross). But I’m ok with that as long as this formula stays the same! Ps also use a primer with this and if you don’t use primers..what are you doing reviewing stuff on here? That is all :)

on 4/1/2018 5:14:00 PM

I find this product covers well but as my under eyes are very dry it just doesn't work. It sinks into dry patches quite badly and exaggerates any creases. I'll try this product again after hopefully sorting out the dryness.

I'm in love, y'all.

Before I start my review: my shade match is in Light Medium, which despite looking slightly pinker than the Nars Radiant Creamy in Custard on my hands, didn't really look any different from it on my face. I have combination to dry skin, with my undereye area fluctuating between dry and oily depending on the time of year (it's dry right now). I barely have any fine lines, but I do have mild darkness around my eyes and my nose and mouth that I like to colour correct with the Bobbi Brown colour corrector in Peach. And let me also tell you that any concealer I will ever use will be layered on top on this colour corrector, no matter how full coverage it is, and you can try and pry my Bobbi Brown from my cold, dead hands.

Anyway, now to the review: WHAT IS THIS SORCERY? How does this concealer not budge, patch up, crease or cake? It literally stays looking fresh for hours, and it's SO easy and quick to apply and work with. Love, love, love it.

How I apply it: I start with great skin prep. Vitamin C serum, lots of moisturiser (I use an especially thick moisturiser under my eyes), topped off with my favourite Avene emulsion sunscreen. I wait for all of this to sink into my skin (about 20 minutes) and then go straight in with my makeup. I'm not a fan of primers in general, but sometimes I'll use the Charlotte Tilbury Wonder Glow on top on my skincare if I'm feeling particularly frisky. I'll go in with my Bobbi Brown corrector, pat it out a thin layer of it under my eyes and other dark areas with my finger, let it set while I do my foundation (YSL All Hours mixed in with Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk), then I'll put tiny dots of concealer under my eyes, and around my mouth, and blend out with a beauty blender. Mind you, the Nars Radiant Creamy on me hates the beauty blender so I'd have to work that in with my fingers, but the Shape Tape loves my beauty blender, so all's good in the world again. I'll do my bronzer/blush/eyes next so that my concealer and foundation both get time to settle into any fine lines or whatever so I can blend those out and then go in with my Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Flawless Finish powder to set.

This is a gorgeous concealer that outshone any other high-end concealers I've ever used. I'd highly recommend lots of skin prep before using this to people with dry skin (which is good for your skin anyway). Otherwise, this is brilliant and I will repurchase when it runs out.

on 11/14/2017 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this because everyone hyped it up, but it really was not a good product. 1. the applicator was huge and just weird, but that’s just my personal opinion. 2. it was suuuper dry. i would put it on and have to blend it immediately or it would dry up and become (3.) really hard to blend. (4.?) maybe i just bought a shade too light, but it gave off flashback, and by the end of the day you could see where i applied it even in natural lighting.

on 8/14/2017 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

This concealer does not play around, it is extremely high coverage. It doesn't excellent job of hiding anything I ask it to. However, I cannot quite find my perfect shade and I am not a fan of the applicator. I do not use it day today as I feel it is a bit heavy but when I want to do a full face it is my best option.

on 7/18/2017 7:38:00 PM

I wish I loved this as much as everybody else did but I just can't quite say that I do. I have really sporadic skin, like sometimes it's dry, but then other times it's super oily. In either case, I find this concealer to be very cake-y and too thick. It dries before I can really blend it in and creases really badly under my eyes. The other problem that I've found is that this oxidizes so so so much. It makes my undereyes look orange. It's even gotten to the point where half of the outside of my tube has started oxidizing and turning orange. Maybe I just got a bad batch, but I think I'll just stick to my NCC.