Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Filtered by eye Color : Black
Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

4.6

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I tried a sample of shape tape in the shade light, which I find a good match for my under eye area, but just a little light to use on my face, and I am nc20. I absolutely love how long lasting this is, and how full coverage this is. The only downside is that you can only get this through tarte’s website in Canada, and you need to spend so much to eat free shipping. Otherwise, I would have actually bought the full size.

on 5/8/2018 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

It's a matte concealer that easily emphasizes fine lines, texture, or dry patches, so prepping the skin sufficiently is essential. To make it work for me, I place Kiehl's Midnight Recovery oil on my under eyes before dabbing Tarte Shape Tape sparingly and blending it out with a beauty sponge. I like to use this concealer when I want to cover my dark circles on the go without fussing with setting powder, and I don't experience creasing problems. Being matte and high coverage, I find Tarte Shape Tape particularly good for cutting the crease or defining the brows. It has a strong chemical scent, and the packaging box claims it has a shelf life of 6 months. Tarte's shade range leaves much to be desired on the darker end of the spectrum. I am indifferent to the large doe foot applicator, but do see its usefulness for some. Is bigger better? You decide.

on 11/16/2017 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Love it!! Best concealer for contouring and to hide those dark circles, sun spots, etc.. I use the "Light neutral" and it's my favorite concealer by far. I use NARS (vanilla) sometimes and I still use IT Illumination concealer medium time to time but I always go back to my Tarte Shape Tape : ) it lasts long and no creasing!! Honestly, so far the best concealer/contour I've used and tried : ) five thumbs up!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I looooove this concealer! Bought it after I heard all the hype about it and it did not disappoint! It's very highly pigmented with a gel-like consistency and texture, it feels cool and hydrating on the skin. I dot it under my eyes and blend it out with my favorite undereye concealer brush- the Real Techniques Setting Brush. My skin is kind of a light tan color right now (I wear Milk Makeup Matte Blur Foundation in Medium Tan) and I wear this in Tan Sand. I blend it quickly before it dries because once it's set it's SET and it's PERFECT. Then, I just use a damp Beauty Blender to dab some banana powder on top of this and I'm good to go.

on 9/11/2017 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

my favorite. the hype is real. the best part is that this is awesome for BOTH concealing and highlighting. my undereye circles aren't too dark, but i use the lightest shade available. perfect for baking. you get that flawless finish. i use this under my eyes, jawline, smile lines and between my eyebrows, blend it out with a beauty blender, bake with laura mercier transulent, and brush off after 10-15 minutes. a tube lasts about 2-3 months on a daily use. i tried to stray away but nope - nothing compares.

on 7/18/2017 7:38:00 PM

I wish I loved this as much as everybody else did but I just can't quite say that I do. I have really sporadic skin, like sometimes it's dry, but then other times it's super oily. In either case, I find this concealer to be very cake-y and too thick. It dries before I can really blend it in and creases really badly under my eyes. The other problem that I've found is that this oxidizes so so so much. It makes my undereyes look orange. It's even gotten to the point where half of the outside of my tube has started oxidizing and turning orange. Maybe I just got a bad batch, but I think I'll just stick to my NCC.

on 6/20/2017 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

This is the best concealer I have ever used for my under eyes that hide my moderate dark circles. It literally lasts all day. I wear NC43-45 foundation and use this concealer in Tan Sand. I later purchased the color Deep and use this shade for a slight contour and to mix with Tan Sand to get my perfect skin tone shade. A little goes a long way I don't even need to set it, but most times I set it with Laura Mercier powder very lightly. Prior to this I have used a ton of different (mostly drugstore) under eye concealers and many would look great but would not have the staying power I was looking for. I tried MAC Pro Longwear and it was average and changed color as the day went on. Orange under eyes are not cute! I returned it and got a different color. Still wasn't blown away. So after many attempts I ended up returning it and decided to give Tarte Shape Tape a try after perusing the many positive reviews. I'm so glad I did. It's now my HG.

on 5/24/2017 7:39:00 PM

Looks quite dry on my under-eyes unless I'm careful about moisturizing deeply and using sparingly. The applicator is large, so I usually use with a separate small concealer brush and feather on the product to keep the product from looking too heavy.

Looks fantastic in photographs, but again, the dryness can be a bit rough in person. Still, the concealer is very high coverage with even just a tiny bit of product and quite brightening, so it's a nice product overall.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Holy crap. Look no further. I've left plenty of concealer reviews, and have been more or less impressed by all of them, but this blows every other concealer out the water. Took me awhile to give in because all of the hype was a turn-off for me, as I'm usually let down by things with such rave reviews. But this truly is HG, best on the market.

It is a little thick, and I'm not a full coverage girl by any means. But once it sets, it doesn't feel like I have too much on my face. There is a little creasing, but nothing too obvious and far less (with much better coverage) than any other concealer I've tried.

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer creases much more than this, and with less coverage. I find them to be about equally drying.

Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer has about the same amount of creasing, but also with less coverage and something about it just looks not as good as the Tarte (not to mention, you're paying more for UD for half the amount of concealer!)

Kat Von D Lock-It Concealer Creme is about equally drying, if not a little more. Provides slightly less coverage and just doesn't look as good as the Tarte overall, but not bad either. Tarte is easier to blend.

Wet N Wild Photofocus has more creasing and was drier for me. Also less coverage. Probably the closest drugstore option though.

There's just something about this concealer that is truly amazing!!

on 4/11/2017 2:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm a huge concealer girl, since I was blessed with hereditary dark circles and eye bags to boot. I must have tried at least 50 in my lifetime and I'm not THAT old. So when the internet just about burst into flames with this "omg-makes-pandas-look-white" raves, of course I had to try it.

This is not available in my country, so I bought both Light Neutral and Light-Medium for my NC25 skintone. I think if you figure that no one is going to peer at you 5 inches from your face, both are quite good matches. But if I had to pick one, I'd go with Light Neutral. Light-Medium is just a hair darker, ie same shade as my skintone, so better to go lighter for under eye concealing.

Was it everything I thought it would be? Yes...and no.

Yes: It is as opaque as everyone says it is. This one covers almost like paint. So after applying, I look magically awake and bright-eyed. The amazing thing is that as thick as it is, it looks natural and doesn't crease, even after four hours. There was some wear and dark patches had begun to show, but it's as good a cover as I've ever experienced.

But (and there's a but, of course!) the downside about this concealer is that it takes A LOT of effort to apply. Because it's so thick and pasty, I had to spend double the time I usually took just to blend, otherwise my cheeks looked like I walked into a freshly painted wall. This is a huge con because if you think nothing looks worse than having dark circles, it's looking like you have correction tape under your eyes. I was so paranoid about this that it took me forever to get my face ready.

I compared the wear to the other concealers I'm currently using:

Maybelline Fit Me - Tarte won. Maybelline couldn't last beyond 3 hours
Becca compact concealer - Tarte won. Becca started to crease after 4 hours.
Cle de Peau - Tarte won. CDP sadly lost dismally both in coverage and creasing
Giorgio Armani High Precision Retouch - Ties. Both similar in coverage and no creasing

Based on the above results, I'm going to say Shape Tape is good but I get the same results with Armani, so am going to stick with the latter, since application is waaaaaay easier and less time-consuming. The only downside about Armani is the crazy price tag, so choose your poison depending on whether you wanna save money or time :)

EDIT: It finally happened. After trying just about every concealer on the planet, I was convinced that the perfect concealer is like the perfect man - an illusion...until I tried Bourjois Radiance Reveal.

To be honest, I only picked it up because it was on sale, and why not, I only have like 6 other opened concealers. But gosh, this little obscure tube blew Armani out of the water. This one is slightly sheerer than Shape Tape and Armani, but gosh, the result is SO MUCH better. There's a brightening element in there and there's a cooling sensation when you apply it, so my eye area just looks much more awake. It's also a dream to blend (which Shape Tape is not). At my age, I'm starting to get wrinkles but this concealer never settles into lines and after 6 hours, the concealer has not budged. I'm totally gobsmacked that this humble concealer that nobody knows outperforms the big names by a mile.

Do yourself a favour and pick this up.