Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

on 9/26/2017 8:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I think this is a good concealer. It's very thick and provides full coverage (probably the fullest I've experienced so far, and I've used MAC Pro Longwear). I think if you have oily skin, you'll do well with this, as it's long lasting and doesn't crease (I don't set with powder, and it still stays in place). If you have dry skin, I would make sure to use a moisturising eye cream to ensure that the product doesn't cake up on or dry out your skin.

I bought it because of all the hype (I watch a lot of YouTube videos - I really should stop). I think it's very expensive for what it is. The shade range, while acceptable, I guess, isn't varied enough. For example, I prefer warmer undertones for my concealer, and the Shape Tape has a grey cast to it. For this reason alone, I have to be very light-handed with this, because if I add too much, my undereyes will almost look ghost-like which isn't a good look. With NARS Creamy Radiant Concealer (or even with MAC Pro Longwear or Becca Aqua Luminous Concealer), I can be a bit heavy-handed with the product, and I'll still look fine as long as I blend properly. With Tarte, I'll end up looking like a ghost. Not cool.

I won't repurchase, as I think Tarte needs to come out with a few warmer shades to make this product more attractive for me. I also prefer my other staples (which I already mentioned above).

I bought Rich, which is just one down from the darkest. For reference, I'm Sandalwood in Becca (Ultimate Coverage), Deep Spice in Estee Lauder (Double-Wear), Benares in NARS (Sheer Glow), NC50 in MAC.

on 6/20/2017 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

This is the best concealer I have ever used for my under eyes that hide my moderate dark circles. It literally lasts all day. I wear NC43-45 foundation and use this concealer in Tan Sand. I later purchased the color Deep and use this shade for a slight contour and to mix with Tan Sand to get my perfect skin tone shade. A little goes a long way I don't even need to set it, but most times I set it with Laura Mercier powder very lightly. Prior to this I have used a ton of different (mostly drugstore) under eye concealers and many would look great but would not have the staying power I was looking for. I tried MAC Pro Longwear and it was average and changed color as the day went on. Orange under eyes are not cute! I returned it and got a different color. Still wasn't blown away. So after many attempts I ended up returning it and decided to give Tarte Shape Tape a try after perusing the many positive reviews. I'm so glad I did. It's now my HG.

on 5/3/2017 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Probably the most full coverage concealer I’ve ever used. Because it’s so concentrated and thick, I have to be careful of the amount I use. 2 or 3 dots under the eyes of is enough. Too much turns my under eyes into a dry, caked mess. If you are dry skinned definitely use a moisturizing eye cream. I do like the product but I prefer a concealer that isn’t so drying and thick.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

First off, let me start by saying that I believe this product is way overhyped. I believe that if it wasn't for the huge exposure and sponsorships from beauty gurus and Youtubers, this product wouldn't be as hyped up as it was.

I feel like its only fair to start with what I liked about this product. Once again, Tarte has done a wonderful job with the packaging. Not only does the packaging look cute, this product also has a huge doe foot applicator which is similar to the one in the Clinique Beyond Perfecting Foundation. The applicator makes it quick and easy to disperse product evenly over the face. Also, because the formula is thick, you only need a little bit of product to get the job done, which therefore, in my opinion, justifies the price.

With that all said, I'm still not impressed with this concealer. The shade range is not all that great. I ended up purchasing Tan Sand, which was recommended to me by an Ulta employee. I found that the shade was a little light for me, so I looked into getting a different shade (P.S. I should mention that I like a highlighted under eye, but not a REALLY highlighted under eye, if you know what I mean. Tan Sand gave me that really highlighted under eye that I didn't like) The next shade in their shade range is Deep, which is exactly my skin tone, so with that said, I feel that Tarte needs just needed one more shade to fill in the gap. Also because the formula is so thick, the concealer creases on you like crazy. I even tried to use small amounts to prevent this, but no matter what I did, it would still crease on me.

In conclusion, I wanted to like this product so badly, but it just didn't work out for me. I feel like if they added maybe 1 or 2 more shades for women of color as well as reformulate the product do that it doesn't crease as much, then I would most definitely consider repurchasing

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

This concealer really is worth the hype!
Its everything they say it is. Unfortunately as they're always sold out if any if the light shades on Tarte and Qvc, I had to buy from Ebay, which cost £43, but I'd pay it again in a heartbeat, I got the shade Fair Neutral, which is perfect for my NC 15 skin... The fair looked too light from online swatches, but this ones also very fair, but just perfect. It has very very full coverage, dries down flawlessly, and never creases!... Which I was amazed at, because it IS so full coverage you would expect it to. It also comes in a HUGE tube, which will last so long especially as you need the smallest amount. Love the large doe foot applicater too. Definitely recommend to everyone!!!!!! I'd never use another now, except on days when I'm not really fussed as I have a few to use up !!