Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this concealer due to the numerous of good reviews on this concealer, however, I can't help but feel disappointed.

This concealer provides high coverage, it blends really easily, and a little goes a long way. Due to my dry skin, I did not feel the need to set it with any powder, and it still looked great at the end of the day. But what went wrong? After the first day of trying out this concealer, I noticed a few pimples in some areas of my face. Which is confusing because I never get these kind of pimples (very small white head pimples, and a few in the same area)... As I continued to use this product, I soon realised the pimples only showed up in the places where I applied the concealer. When I stopped using the concealer, my face cleared up.

I can't help but feel really sad about this product because I thought I finally found a product that was high enough in coverage to hide my under eyes, but it's definitely not worth using if it just continues to break out my skin.
For anyone who is considering this product, DEFINITELY try a sample first before purchasing!!!

on 1/17/2019 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Use NYC eyeshadow primer before the shape tape!! I used a concealer brush and my finger! I it lasted all day and I am very happy with the results!!!

on 1/7/2019 10:07:00 AM

Wow. My new concealer!

I use this for my eyes/undereyes only, not as a highlighter.

I've seen the reviews and was skeptical....mmmffff....really? ANOTHER hyped up product? How many people are getting paid to write all this? They don't understand, these young'uns...they don't have the eyebags I've had to fight all my life, now progressively getting worse with poor sleep.

So.

I've always been a fan of Tarte - in fact, the concealer I have been using for years (looks like they don't even make this anymore) was the Maracuja concealer, rated 5 in my last review. When I went to look for it last, it looked like a whole new spectrum of "creaseless" concealers they sold at Sephora. Was I honey? Sand? Light-neutral? I tried and tried, and I just couldn't get the right colour (I was mixing light and medium in the past).

Tarte Shape Tape was only available in the US, and not in Canada, so when I saw it was available online on Tarte, I wanted to order it, but didn't have a clue which colour. So luckily I had a trip down to the US for work, and stopped by Ulta.

Here's my take, and hope it works for you:

PROSs:
- There's a lot of product in there for that tube
- Fair pricing for the amount of product
- It stays put! I got a pit of mascara, and so hygienically licked my pinky to rub it off, but the concealer stayed on! Nice!
- It applies in a nice thin layer - it doesn't give me the feeling I'm wearing a lot, but it covers!
- It dries (nicely) - thought I liked the Maracuja concealer, because it was so "moist", it would pull some of my eyeliner from my waterline - I don't have this with Shape Tape
- Nice powdery finish (not dry powedery) - I use a bit on my upper lid which evens out my skin discolouration, without leaving a cakey thick layer on my lid
- A little goes a long way
- Natural ingredients and is vegan!

CONs:
- Getting to and then using the right amount is tough - a little goes a long way but that day you put too much on, it will cake and sit in your lines.
- Not a fan of the doe-foot applicator as it goops at the top of the applicator like eyeliner and mascara tubes....but seems like the thing to do for all make up brands

Good luck! I'm personally loving it!

on 8/11/2018 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I received a sample and it seemed like it was working well for the few days I tried it. I bought a tube and ended up not loving it for the long run. I'm a light-medium, neutral to warm/yellow shade and found that light-medium was a fine match, even though it said online it was for pink undertones. While this did provide coverage, it was too high maintenance for me. I prefer to use my fingers to apply concealer under my eyes to warm the product and get it patted in. Same for blemishes. For me, I find it gives the most natural looking coverage (I don't wear foundation or any face color, just concealer when needed). I have and use Tarte maricuja creaseless concealer and it applies this way great. I couldn't really get this to warm up and pat in. I sort of could, but it needed a brush or sponge to really pat or blend it in. This was WAY too dry for my skin, and caked and creased, even when I applied very little. I think if you do a ful, face of primer, blending, etc this might work well. This did provide good coverage with very little, just like my previous Tarte concealer, but the consistency just wasn't working for me. I returned it and will look for something else when the time comes. For now I'll use my Tarte maricuja concealer since I have quite a bit left and use so little.

on 7/8/2018 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't regret buying it, but it didn't live up to the hype for me. I wanted to try it because people said it had very good coverage... And I can't agree on that. Finding the right color was hard - I literally had to swatch it 5 times (different days) before I decided on the color... I'm yellow-toned, but even for me, there was TOO MANY yellow toned shades in here

I'm about NC25 right now, and I bought this in the color Light-Neutral to use underneath my eyes and under my nose. It's a very good color for that, but I expected more from the coverage. Before this, I used the Ulta Full Coverage Liquid concealer in Light Warm, mixed with the Ulta Color Correcting Liquid Concealer in Pink, and I got more coverage out of those. Price-wise they are actually not that different per oz, but the Ulta concealer mix has better coverage and stays on for longer without creasing. The Shape Tape is more comfortable to apply - it is thin and less sticky than the Ulta concealer, but it actually creases slightly more, which I'm not that happy about. I can see it gathering in lines under my nose, even though I barely have any. I also mix this with some Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer in 06 to use on my blemishes.

I wouldn't say that this is a full coverage concealer, more like medium/full. For me, this is what I choose for lighter makeup days, actually. Would recommend for those who don't need super full coverage, and those who like to use concealer instead of foundation, as this is 10 mL/0.338 fl.oz., and light enough to be used on bigger areas. If you decide to try it out, you definitely need to swatch this in store and wait till it oxidizes, as this oxidizes about one shade on me. As this seems to accentuate lines, I don't recommend it for people who have a lot of fine lines

on 6/18/2018 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have put off reviewing this forever. It is so popular, how can I be so not pleased with it. But alas, I am. It offers nice coverage and a little goes a long way. However, it just wasn't for me and here are the reasons why:

1) From the start, finding a "perfect" color match wasn't proving easy for my deep winter, neutral but pinky skin with a weird golden undertone.

2) Too drying for under the eye area where I really need it. Maybe it is me and my 43 year old, dark circled, dry skin what ever...but oh my goodness...this just never blended well and left my skin looking OLD.

3) This gets so much love in this Instaglam age. But I prefer to never see product on my face. Bold lip color or eye color...great. But I never want to SEE the makeup or powder on my face. This is my preference. I feel like Shape Tape is better suited for those that want that full polished, perfect, made up look. I like my skin to look like skin. If I use a foundation, I use MAC F&B. When I use this on other parts of my skin, it is just so heavy and visible and doesn't seem to melt into my skin. I tried to use just this for a beach vacation....big mistake. I am going back to my trusted NARS RCC for those kind of days.

Bottom line is this was not written on a whim. I have been playing with this stuff and gave it such a chance because of all the praise for over a year. And I am officially giving up.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have very bad dark circles that are sunken. They may be due to genes, allergies, age, I don't know but they are not going anywhere so I must deal with them. I am always looking for good concealers. You can say I am obsessed. This concealer covers and doesn't fade or crease badly. I hate that it has a scent. Why? The huge doe foot is stupid. You cannot apply the concealer with it. And I end up getting too much on with it even though I dab.I found a good match in light medium neutral. I'm NC20 in MAC.

on 3/12/2018 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This cover is “heavy-handed.”
Might as well be “tape.”

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This product is A M A Z I N G! I have it in shade Light Neutral and it's the best! I wear it everyday, especially on days where I didn't get much sleep the night before and it makes me look like I had a good night's rest. It conceals my dark under eye circles and redness unlike any other concealer I've tried before it. It also smells pretty good and the doefoot applicator is H U G E, combined with a product that is thick, I only need a small dot under my eyes and that's enough to conceal (of course, I apply more product if I've had a particularly bad night, but the most I've ever needed was three dots). It also doesn't transfer and lasts all day!

on 1/18/2018 3:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Even though I had help from an Ulta sales associate I ended up buying AND returning 3 different shades of Shape Tape before finding the correct shade. It is an awesome product once you find the right shade. I found that it is long lasting, not greasy and doesn't settle into my under eye lines. I use a nice concealer brush that I bought at Sephora to apply. I am in my 60's and it is not always easy to find a product that looks this good on aging skin. Tarte just came out with Shape Tape Foundation and I can't wait to try it! .... not that I need anymore makeup mind you.