Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

4.3

on 1/27/2019 4:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I’ve been wanting to try this concealer since it first came out. I finally had my niece ( who was visiting the US ) pick it up from Ulta- matching it close to the shade in Nars Radiant Creamy concealer- vanilla.
It was a good match! This is a thick creamy concealer but applies beautifully once you master how much is needed. There is a lot of product for your dollar. It has a large sponge applicator that you really need to assess how much product is needed for coverage. This stuff spreads lake ‘spackle’ for lack of better term- because the large sponge applicator picks up a lot of product, only a dab under each eye is what I need to cover dark circles. This stuff spreads for miles lol. So there is a learning curve. It covers very well, again a good eye cream that moisturizes well is definitely needed to avoid settling in fine lines. Lasts all day and into the evening. This also covers skin imperfections very well too. This is now part of my regular rotation-a staple product. Excellent concealer, planning to repurchase again. Full coverage and a good bang for the dollar.

on 12/15/2018 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

My feelings for this concealer are complicated so I’ve broken it down.
Pros: long-lasting, not too drying, a little goes a long way, multi-purpose (I also use this as eyeshadow primer), easy to blend

Cons: Limited range of undertones - I got this in Medium for my NC40 skin and it looked ashy as hell. A deeper shade would have been too deep for an undereye concealer IMO. However, when I used this on top of a peachy corrector, my undereyes were flawless and remained so until the end of the day.
Other con: Price – At 35 CAD$, I expect not to have to pair it with anything else.

All in all, I’m not thrilled about the cons but the end result when I use this right is so beautiful that it has me torn about whether I’ll repurchase this or not.

on 11/2/2018 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I thought this was going to be terrible.. The way youtubers always put this on, the big triangle under the eye. They must look so cakey irl. Cause this has great coverage, you don't need to use that much at all. It spreads nice, is long wearing, and doesn't crease. I do use Tarte timeless smoothing primer, that stuff is also amazing. Love this. Won't try any other concealer anymore. This is the one!

on 9/30/2018 5:52:00 AM

I am a nurse, I put on my face at 5am in the morning and don’t touch it again until after 8pm (I have bigger problems to deal with at work). Hence longevity of products is a must. I have tried many concealers (I need a stand alone for some discolorations). This concealer has the best longevity. I stays put and fresh for a whole shift.

on 7/27/2018 5:10:00 PM

Honestly this was so overhyped I had high expectations. When I put this under my eyes, somehow it breaks down and doesn't provide the best coverage... You can still see my dark circles even though my undereye area looks sooo bright that it looks odd. I do like it to prime my eyelids though because it creates a blank canvas for eyeshadow and makes putting eyeshadow on really smooth and makes it easier to blend. Because it's not sold in Canada, I had to ask a friend to buy it for me in the States, and honestly it wasn't even worth it. Concealers like Maybelline Fit Me look better under my eyes than this does.

on 6/30/2018 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I'm always looking for a good concealer that will cover under eye circles, the constant redness around my nose, and the occasional blemish that might pop up. I've been using this concealer since it first came out, and I have to say it does those things very well. I use Fair Neutral for my natural, non sunless-tanned skin tone, and Light-Medium when I've used self-tan. It does a great job at covering, has great lasting power, and doesn't settle into creases or make my skin look dry or cakey. My only complaint about this product is the packaging. It's a bigger tube, which is great because you get a ton of product! But the doe-foot applicator is also very large, which usually results in me applying too much product and somehow ends up creating a huge mess. I understand the reason for it being larger since it's meant for contouring, although it's still not completely necessary. No matter how careful I am when I put the applicator back in the tube, it somehow ends up getting everywhere and then squishing outside of the tube as I'm twisting the cap back on. It's to the point where I can't even carry it with me in my makeup bag because it's gotten on everything so many times. The only way I can avoid it is if I wipe around the tube each time I use it before putting it back in my bag, which isn't always convenient if I'm using it on-the-go. I've also repeatedly wiped away tons of excess product from where the wand screws into the tube (wasted product) in hopes that it would stop the problem, but it only lasts one or two more applications before product gets all over it again. I said I would repurchase, but I'm going to try the Too Faced Born This Way concealer next to see if that works as well without the mess. I do prefer Shape Tape over Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer as it covers better, is longer lasting, and it costs less yet you get way more product.

on 5/8/2018 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

It's a matte concealer that easily emphasizes fine lines, texture, or dry patches, so prepping the skin sufficiently is essential. To make it work for me, I place Kiehl's Midnight Recovery oil on my under eyes before dabbing Tarte Shape Tape sparingly and blending it out with a beauty sponge. I like to use this concealer when I want to cover my dark circles on the go without fussing with setting powder, and I don't experience creasing problems. Being matte and high coverage, I find Tarte Shape Tape particularly good for cutting the crease or defining the brows. It has a strong chemical scent, and the packaging box claims it has a shelf life of 6 months. Tarte's shade range leaves much to be desired on the darker end of the spectrum. I am indifferent to the large doe foot applicator, but do see its usefulness for some. Is bigger better? You decide.

Best concealer I've ever used. Does a great job of covering up, but also feeling lightweight and wearable. It doesn't smudge and blends into your face naturally. Will definitely be buying again.

on 4/30/2018 8:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm in my late 60's and I have dark circles and some fine lines under my eyes. I found that even with a primer, it settles into my lines and accentuates them. I gave it a 3 since the coverage is good. I'll stick with my NYX concealer, which is so much more affordable.

on 4/16/2018 3:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

$27.00 for .33 oz. It's actually a fairly good value because it takes such a small amount unless you do the whole face highlighting which I do not, so it lasts me about 6 months or more. I don't use it every day, I use others things too.

I probably won't purchase this again until they lose the doe foot applicator. It is very high coverage and will remain fairly crease free if i use sparingly but it MUST be set with powder or it creases like crazy. It also is bad about settling into fine lines. I also must moisturize right before applying or it just sits there and is very hard to blend and dries the crap out of my under eye area. The doe foot applicator is also too big. I think they did this to accommodate the people that heavily highlight the whole center of their face. I don't cover half of my face with concealer like some do. I usually use it on my lid(sometimes), nose & under my eyes. I put a couple of small dots underneath my eyes, then down the center of my nose and blend it out with a beauty blender then use a finger if I see any creasing to smooth that out, then set with powder. I have 2 colors, fair neutral and light sand and neither of them look great alone so I usually mix them.

I think the reason this is so popular is the hype, and the extremely full coverage because I don't think it looks particularly pretty or natural and it's sure not easy to work with. I usually use Touche Eclat under my eyes. I like Shape Tape to clean up my brows and I also use it on my lids over Milani primer when I want a more defined crease or a cut crease and it never irritates my lids.