Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

4.1

on 1/7/2019 10:07:00 AM

Wow. My new concealer!

I use this for my eyes/undereyes only, not as a highlighter.

I've seen the reviews and was skeptical....mmmffff....really? ANOTHER hyped up product? How many people are getting paid to write all this? They don't understand, these young'uns...they don't have the eyebags I've had to fight all my life, now progressively getting worse with poor sleep.

So.

I've always been a fan of Tarte - in fact, the concealer I have been using for years (looks like they don't even make this anymore) was the Maracuja concealer, rated 5 in my last review. When I went to look for it last, it looked like a whole new spectrum of "creaseless" concealers they sold at Sephora. Was I honey? Sand? Light-neutral? I tried and tried, and I just couldn't get the right colour (I was mixing light and medium in the past).

Tarte Shape Tape was only available in the US, and not in Canada, so when I saw it was available online on Tarte, I wanted to order it, but didn't have a clue which colour. So luckily I had a trip down to the US for work, and stopped by Ulta.

Here's my take, and hope it works for you:

PROSs:
- There's a lot of product in there for that tube
- Fair pricing for the amount of product
- It stays put! I got a pit of mascara, and so hygienically licked my pinky to rub it off, but the concealer stayed on! Nice!
- It applies in a nice thin layer - it doesn't give me the feeling I'm wearing a lot, but it covers!
- It dries (nicely) - thought I liked the Maracuja concealer, because it was so "moist", it would pull some of my eyeliner from my waterline - I don't have this with Shape Tape
- Nice powdery finish (not dry powedery) - I use a bit on my upper lid which evens out my skin discolouration, without leaving a cakey thick layer on my lid
- A little goes a long way
- Natural ingredients and is vegan!

CONs:
- Getting to and then using the right amount is tough - a little goes a long way but that day you put too much on, it will cake and sit in your lines.
- Not a fan of the doe-foot applicator as it goops at the top of the applicator like eyeliner and mascara tubes....but seems like the thing to do for all make up brands

Good luck! I'm personally loving it!

I live and die for this concealer. It is so creamy and covers every insecurity I have. It blends so easily and sets really well. I'm in love with how smooth it makes my under-eyes look. One of the best concealers I have ever used.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've spent my entire life saying there could always be a better undereye concealer out there, and at the age of 30, I'm calling off the search, because this is THE PERFECT CONCEALER.

I've had very dark circles since I could walk, so it's clearly a genetic gift that I'm stuck with, but have tried very hard to hide. I'd spent years and god knows how much money trying to find a good enough concealer; the best I'd found before this was Makeup Forever Full Cover.

I'd seen so much praise for Shape Tape in the past few months, but I didn't care about contouring with concealer, so the fact that it's marketed for contouring didn't fill me with hope. It was only when I got a sample in my Ipsy bag that my mind was blown; even with the sample being a shade too light, it covered completely, looked natural, and didn't budge all day!

I immediately went to buy it in my shade only to find it's not sold in Canada (?!?!), so I had to order it from Tarte directly. The packaging is kind of nuts - it's BIG! For concealer, I was expecting about 5ml size, but it comes with 10ml, and a massive applicator! Not that I mind, it just sort of makes me giggle every time I apply it. The value is quite good considering the quality and how much you get as well.

I apply it over Bobbi Brown Undereye Corrector and set it with PUR 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Makeup and ELF Undereye Setting Powder and nothing moves! Even without setting spray. It's perfect!

on 8/27/2018 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I agree with others - this is worth the hype. Never had I had a concealer that stays on all day, is full coverage and that doesn't feel drying. It creases a tinsy bit but I can live with that. Also, you know when you're trying to cover a pimple and you end up moving the concealer on your pimple and it doesn't cover anything? This doesn't do that, I love it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Shape Tape is no joke! This stuff is legit. All you need is a tiny dot on the spot you want to cover; a dot will conceal the under-eye area. It doesn't feel thick or cakey. I've had no issues with it settling into creases and fine lines, unlike the other concealers I've tried. I set it on my under-eyes with just a touch of brightening powder from Elf, but I wouldn't say it's necessary. It has a good amount of product and since I only use a tiny bit at once, I see it going a long way. Will repurchase.

on 7/27/2018 5:10:00 PM

Honestly this was so overhyped I had high expectations. When I put this under my eyes, somehow it breaks down and doesn't provide the best coverage... You can still see my dark circles even though my undereye area looks sooo bright that it looks odd. I do like it to prime my eyelids though because it creates a blank canvas for eyeshadow and makes putting eyeshadow on really smooth and makes it easier to blend. Because it's not sold in Canada, I had to ask a friend to buy it for me in the States, and honestly it wasn't even worth it. Concealers like Maybelline Fit Me look better under my eyes than this does.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have very oily skin, and I have read that this product would be good for my skin type. The concealer itself is very thick, and drys very fast. I would recommend applying a moisturizer onto your face before applying this because if not it can look very cakey. It is has very full coverage though so if that is what your looking for I would try this out.

on 6/30/2018 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I'm always looking for a good concealer that will cover under eye circles, the constant redness around my nose, and the occasional blemish that might pop up. I've been using this concealer since it first came out, and I have to say it does those things very well. I use Fair Neutral for my natural, non sunless-tanned skin tone, and Light-Medium when I've used self-tan. It does a great job at covering, has great lasting power, and doesn't settle into creases or make my skin look dry or cakey. My only complaint about this product is the packaging. It's a bigger tube, which is great because you get a ton of product! But the doe-foot applicator is also very large, which usually results in me applying too much product and somehow ends up creating a huge mess. I understand the reason for it being larger since it's meant for contouring, although it's still not completely necessary. No matter how careful I am when I put the applicator back in the tube, it somehow ends up getting everywhere and then squishing outside of the tube as I'm twisting the cap back on. It's to the point where I can't even carry it with me in my makeup bag because it's gotten on everything so many times. The only way I can avoid it is if I wipe around the tube each time I use it before putting it back in my bag, which isn't always convenient if I'm using it on-the-go. I've also repeatedly wiped away tons of excess product from where the wand screws into the tube (wasted product) in hopes that it would stop the problem, but it only lasts one or two more applications before product gets all over it again. I said I would repurchase, but I'm going to try the Too Faced Born This Way concealer next to see if that works as well without the mess. I do prefer Shape Tape over Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer as it covers better, is longer lasting, and it costs less yet you get way more product.

on 6/28/2018 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this after all the rave reviews online and on YouTube. However, I don't know how people put so much of this stuff on. I wanted to love it, but it just looked too cakey and dry on me. I have oily skin, but my undereyes are a bit dry. I also has too light a shade on, which didn't help. This stuff just kind of crusted in the corner of my eye and accentuated fine lines. I also hated the packaging--it just all gunked up around the opening! I tried Too Faced Born This way (original) instead, and it too settled into fine lines and didn't cover that well. I tried It Cosmetics Bye Bye instead and it did a much better job. I'm considering trying the new Too Faced concealer, but don't know if it'll work on me.

on 6/6/2018 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this concealer due to its hype but after reading the reviews here I was worried it would not work out for me. I have oily skin and I have noticed some concealers crease under my eyes and make me look older. This concealer does not crease and looks good after a whole day at work! I have not tried many concealers for my undereyes as I don’t have dark circles but in the past I’ve been using MAC pro longwear concealer for my undereyes and that one does not crease. I would say this one is similar to pro longwear but with this you can contol how much you use because it has a wand applicator. I have also used this to cover my hyperpigmentation from acne on my face and it works wonders. Highly recommend and would definitely buy more.