Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

I'm absolutely devastated that I'm having to write this review, because I did LOVE the way this concealer looked on my skin. It's full coverage (it even covers a scar I have on my face), matte without making my combination skin look crispy and has great staying power.

HOWEVER, it breaks me out massively. My skin isn't too sensitive, so at first I changed out my foundation and moisturiser, but no, this concealer is the culprit :(

Unfortunately I'm in the UK so can't return it, but if you're in a country where you can swap if it causes you problems, I'd definitely at least try it, because before the acne it worked amazingly for me!

I tried, y'all. I really tried, but this just doesn't work on me, no how, no way.

I picked up fair & fair beige on Black Friday sale based on the hype, with the main goal of covering my dark undereye circles. Fair beige is the closest match for me, maybe a hair too light, but the next darker shade is much too dark. Now, I have pretty good skin for my age, but that age is 50, and I have some lines under my eyes, plus some puffiness leading to sunken tear troughs. Something about this product is so flat that it emphasizes all my undereye topographic issues. And even then, once I've blended it out so it doesn't look like flat wall paint under my eyes, it seems to fade within 30-60 minutes, almost as if you never applied it.

I've also tried it for spot concealing on my cheeks and around my nose. No good there either--separated & pooled in my pores within an hour.

I bought these directly from Tarte, which unfortunately only has returns in 30 days, so I'm just tossing it at this point.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm MAC NC37 and use pro longwear concealer in NC 25. I tried 4 shades of this at Ulta but couldn't find the right color even with the help of a makeup artist there who admitted they dont have enough medium tones. The medium and medium honey were too dark, they matched my skin and I need it a little lighter to brighten. The light medium was too light. I really wanted to try this product after hearing how great the coverage was. Oh well.

on 7/18/2017 7:47:00 PM

Way too thick and really creases underlines my wrinkles way too much i really dont like this product and i was to excited about it what a shame and waste of money

on 7/10/2017 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

The formula itself is very creamy yet thick and it sets very fast. It oxidizes very badly and I never had that happen to me with any other product. It also clings to dry patches, peachfuzz, and on acne and minor texture the shape tape just doesn't look smooth and flawless. when I try to build up the coverage, it feels and looks so cakey even before I set with powder(I'm using a beauty blender all the time). it is not lightweight at all. After like 3 hours I noticed it separates on my forehead and my chin, sometimes on my nose as well and I always set with the powder that never fails me. It creases very fast especially under my eyes it looks horrible! It doesn't cover up my minor hyper pigmentation and I end up looking grey toned. When I build up the coverage under my eyes I crease more and even after I set with powder, it still creases! Also when I use the slightest bit of the concealer I just end up cakey (even when I use Special smoothing primers)
One last thing about the formula- it took me a month to realize it was holding my acne back from healing.
Very disappointed

edit; can't understand why people are disliking this review.. just because y'all don't agree don't mean it ain't helpful or honest!

on 5/25/2017 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Way too overrated. Not as full coverage as I would like and leaves my under eye area extremely dry, which emphasizes fine lines. Instead, you should try It Cosmetics Bye Under Eye!

on 4/25/2017 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I bought this product very excitedly after watching a video featuring it by Rachhloves, where she tried a bunch of Instagram-hyped makeup products. She loved it, and raved about what it does for under-eye circles. I have serious under-eye circles, so I was like "no need for color correction before concealer? YAS" and bought it immediately. Well, the magic just isn't there. I honestly feel like it give less coverage than other, much cheaper brands I've purchased. I see no reason to buy this instead of any drugstore brand, honestly. It doesn't do what it claims, at least not for me.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This product did not work for me. This product has been really hyped about for months. So I eventually decided to give it a try. It did not work for me. My first thoughts of applying the concealer were how thick it was and I knew it couldn't be a good look for my under eye area.. Oh my gosh. The concealer was SO drying and settled in ever line imaginable. Even my husband commented on it. That's when you know.... I returned the Tarte Shape tape the next day.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This was horrible for me. I don't understand the hype. I've tried so hard to make this work for me, and it just doesn't. And I know what I'm doing. It doesn't blend, it's so tacky and somehow ridiculously dry at the same time. At the end of the day, my undereyes look like crumpled up paper bags. I don't even have dry skin! I've tried all kinds of prep and application methods to no avail. I also had a similar experience with NARS RCC (though not this bad, I can still kinda use that one), so maybe this consistency of product just isn't for me.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This does not cover as well as Maybelline Superstay and to get this not to crease, I have to put Maybelline Superstay on top of it. Too lazy to return it, so I guess I'll keep it. The packaging is nice, however, the doe foot applicator is way too big and the fragrance gives me a headache. Also, I read in Allure of all places that Youtubers were paid $5.00 commission to review the product and refer customers to tarte.com for sales. Very upsetting.
2/10/2017, I did return this in the end. As a migraine sufferer, I just couldn't take the fragrance in this concealer and the coverage is not worth the hype.

Edit- I just bought a product called Artist Pro Water Resistant Concealer by Adept Cosmetics. I love it. I put a review on here. I need full coverage and the concealer blows Shape Tape out of the water.