Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Cosmetics Shape Tape Contour Concealer

on 10/20/2016 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The name “Tarte Shape Tape” makes it sound as though you’re buying a roll of tape but it’s a liquid concealer in somewhat standard packaging. However, the applicator isn’t merely a doe’s foot – it’s a buck’s hoof – it is quite a bit larger than most of my other sponge-tipped wand applicators. Therefore I only use a fraction of what is dispensed.

Coverage is thick and full. It is pigmented enough to cover the occasional zit or mild redness around the nostrils during cold and flu season. It does a decent job of cloaking dark circles, although if I study myself closely in the mirror I can still see mine. If I apply enough to cover them completely, the concealer can appear cakey.

This concealer is thick, so I get better results when I stipple it on with a damp sponge. I use a purple Real Techniques Miracle Mini Eraser Sponge. After I’ve applied the concealer, I set it with a dusting of Charlotte Tilbury’s Airbrush Flawless Finish Powder, which is one of the few powders I can use under the eyes. The powder has almond oil and rose wax in it, and doesn’t make skin look parched – it gives my combination skin a very subtle glow. Using this method, the concealer doesn’t look dry or cracked under my eyes.

However, if I were to apply a lot of Tarte Shape Tape over dry skin or if I used a different kind of powder, it could be aging. I think this particular concealer is better suited to oily skin because of the matte finish and high level of coverage. Once it sets, it doesn’t slide or break apart in patches on the chin or nose.

I bought Fair Neutral, which is a bit more pale than I need it to be. For reference, I wear C3 in MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus, 52 Vanille in Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation, 4 in Armani Luminous Silk, and Sand in most of Bobbi Brown’s foundations. I wanted the Light Neutral shade, but it was out-of-stock when I purchased this. This product is relatively new to the Tarte line so testers are not always easy to find and some of the shades are frequently sold out.

This is a pretty good concealer but I'm not in love with it. There is a strong scent in the formula and I wish it were fragrance free. Shape Tape does a fine job of camouflaging zits and mild redness. I can use it under the eyes, but I don’t think it’s the perfect thing for that area. Not my "Holy Grail." Still on the hunt.

INGREDIENTS:

HG + dupe alert!!! I conducted a week long test of this in fair neutral ($25) vs. Wet n Wild Photofocus Concealer in light ivory ($4.00). As far as opaqueness of coverage resulting in wiping out my under eye circles, blendability and lasting power (all day w/ setting powder and spray which are the steps I use no matter the concealer) – these 2 are identical IMO. Color is close, but I didn't do this for a color comparison

Minor differences: easier to control the amount put on with WnW due to smaller doe foot applicator vs the HUGE doefoot applicator of Tarte. Major difference: price (see above)!

Had I been able to locate and test out WnW first, I may never have purchased Tarte, but I had a hard time finding WnW as my Walmart and CVS always seem to be sold out. Once I finally got my hands on it and did my week long experiment, I had buyer's remorse for Tarte....:P

Will I repurchase - nope - not when I can get the exact same coverage for way less :)

on 10/13/2016 12:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

So...I don't really like using concealer, as I find it tends to age me beyond my years. First, a bit about my skin: I have normal skin (can get a tad dry in the winder), with the occasional hormonal blemish, & no wrinkles yet (Thank God!). I also don't have dark circle issues. I do have a small sprinkling of slightly enlarged pores on either side of my nose and I also have an expression line in my forehead (what can I say, I'm dramatic). Being into the highlight/contour thing, I decided to try this based on the claims/reviews. I think the hype surrounding this product is mostly true. The product is slightly thick and creamy, coverage is certainly medium to full, and the finish is satiny/natural (skin-like). For me, it DOES crease/settle into the fine line under each of my eyes if I do not blend well enough, and even then - I find there is still some product left there. However, it does not accentuate pores nor does it come off as crepey/cakey in the under eye area. I have tried setting it and not setting it, and I prefer to NOT set it, as I feel like it sets on it's own. Setting with powder made it a tad cakey/dry looking, IMO. It feels weightless and comfortable. There is a faint rosey scent to it, but enjoy it and I do not find it overwhelming. I don't smell it after I've applied it and it has not irritated my skin in any way. As far as color, I initially bought it in Light (slightly pink) and I feel like it was just a hair too light for me, but I could still make it work for highlighting. I returned it and bought Light Neutral (more yellow/peach), and this is maybe only a 1/2 to 1 shade lighter than my natural skin tone (MAC NC25, GA Luminous Silk 4.5, Guerlain Lingerie De Peau N02), so this one would be great for concealing. It still works for highlighting well enough, but when the Light Neutral comes back in stock, I'm going to purchase that and try it for highlighting, too. The applicator is huge, but I don't use it on my face. What I do is dab some on the back of my clean hand and use my ring finger to apply under my eyes, then blend in with a small, damp beauty sponge. For other parts of the face, I use a concealer brush to remove product from back of my hand. It's $24 USD, which is about average for a mid-high end concealer and you get a lot of product. Plus, a little goes a long way. It wears well, even after a 10 hour day. Overall, I do like it a lot and it's the only concealer that I feel doesn't age me. I will re-purchase.

on 4/11/2017 2:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm a huge concealer girl, since I was blessed with hereditary dark circles and eye bags to boot. I must have tried at least 50 in my lifetime and I'm not THAT old. So when the internet just about burst into flames with this "omg-makes-pandas-look-white" raves, of course I had to try it.

This is not available in my country, so I bought both Light Neutral and Light-Medium for my NC25 skintone. I think if you figure that no one is going to peer at you 5 inches from your face, both are quite good matches. But if I had to pick one, I'd go with Light Neutral. Light-Medium is just a hair darker, ie same shade as my skintone, so better to go lighter for under eye concealing.

Was it everything I thought it would be? Yes...and no.

Yes: It is as opaque as everyone says it is. This one covers almost like paint. So after applying, I look magically awake and bright-eyed. The amazing thing is that as thick as it is, it looks natural and doesn't crease, even after four hours. There was some wear and dark patches had begun to show, but it's as good a cover as I've ever experienced.

But (and there's a but, of course!) the downside about this concealer is that it takes A LOT of effort to apply. Because it's so thick and pasty, I had to spend double the time I usually took just to blend, otherwise my cheeks looked like I walked into a freshly painted wall. This is a huge con because if you think nothing looks worse than having dark circles, it's looking like you have correction tape under your eyes. I was so paranoid about this that it took me forever to get my face ready.

I compared the wear to the other concealers I'm currently using:

Maybelline Fit Me - Tarte won. Maybelline couldn't last beyond 3 hours
Becca compact concealer - Tarte won. Becca started to crease after 4 hours.
Cle de Peau - Tarte won. CDP sadly lost dismally both in coverage and creasing
Giorgio Armani High Precision Retouch - Ties. Both similar in coverage and no creasing

Based on the above results, I'm going to say Shape Tape is good but I get the same results with Armani, so am going to stick with the latter, since application is waaaaaay easier and less time-consuming. The only downside about Armani is the crazy price tag, so choose your poison depending on whether you wanna save money or time :)

EDIT: It finally happened. After trying just about every concealer on the planet, I was convinced that the perfect concealer is like the perfect man - an illusion...until I tried Bourjois Radiance Reveal.

To be honest, I only picked it up because it was on sale, and why not, I only have like 6 other opened concealers. But gosh, this little obscure tube blew Armani out of the water. This one is slightly sheerer than Shape Tape and Armani, but gosh, the result is SO MUCH better. There's a brightening element in there and there's a cooling sensation when you apply it, so my eye area just looks much more awake. It's also a dream to blend (which Shape Tape is not). At my age, I'm starting to get wrinkles but this concealer never settles into lines and after 6 hours, the concealer has not budged. I'm totally gobsmacked that this humble concealer that nobody knows outperforms the big names by a mile.

Do yourself a favour and pick this up.

on 10/7/2016 10:35:00 PM

Really, truly covers the worst dark circles. If I set it with a powder, it doesn't crease. I don't know what Tarte did to make this stuff so good, but my hat's off to them.

on 1/19/2017 9:03:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I was in Ulta one day when a Tarte representative pointed out Shape Tape to me, explained it was a new product and how it was good coverage. So, I decided to give this a try and lucked out because they had only 2 of the Fair colors left (which is perfect for me as it matches my skin tone perfectly). It took a couple of applications before I got this down to a science. I use the tiniest dab of Shape Tape under my eye and blend it out with a flat concealer brush. The little dab is enough to do under one eye and feather out, inner corner and eyelid. I let it dry which doesn't take long because of a thin application. I don't use any setting powder unless it is hot or humid and the Shape Tape lasts all day until I remove it at night. The smell is pleasant, the packaging is convenient, applicator is nice and coverage is excellent. This Shape Tape will last me almost forever but when I do run out I will definitely be purchasing another! Can you tell I love this product!

on 12/25/2016 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

A very good concealer. I am a "mature" woman and use this to highlight my under eye area - I use fair because I prefer a brighter under eye and I use the RMS powder to set it. It does not settle into my fine lines and wrinkles and it covers flawlessly. I also like the Urban Decay concealer and the Kat Von D (for the eye area) but this is - for the price and effect - the best concealer I have used. That said .. for the rest of my face I prefer MAC's Pro Longwear ... Needless to say I am a concealer junkie...

on 9/9/2016 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I have combo skin with oily forehead & nose & dry skin everywhere else. I gave in to the hype and bought this concealer. I was very excited to use it so I put it on all my highlighting areas (under eyes, forehead & chin). At first I was very impressed. A little goes a long way with this concealer so it would last me a while considering how little I used and how much coverage it provided. It was perfect, or so I thought. I set it with a very light dusting of powder and went on my way. I went to the mall that day with my husband and he commented on how "wrinkly" my under eyes looked. Mind me I'm 20 and far from being "wrinkly". I glanced at myself in a store mirror and realized how weird my under eyes looked. So I stepped closer to the mirror and realized how crepey, dry, and how much of the concealer had settled in my fine lines. This concealer found every crease, even some i never new i had! & in areas where I tended to get oily, like my forehead, it began to separate. It looked terrible! I did not want to give up on this concealer and wanted to make it work. So the next time I put this on i decided to bake my undereyes hoping to reduce any creasing. I again experienced the same problem, dryness & extreme creasing. I was extremely dissapointed in this product. I'm going back to my FitMe concealer by Maybelline. It also creases but baking pretty much stops any of the creasing. I was hoping to find a holy grail concealer where only a light dusting of powder would set it & prevent creasing because baking is not for everyday. Unfortunately this concealer is not a HG & I regret falling into the hype.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Holy crap. Look no further. I've left plenty of concealer reviews, and have been more or less impressed by all of them, but this blows every other concealer out the water. Took me awhile to give in because all of the hype was a turn-off for me, as I'm usually let down by things with such rave reviews. But this truly is HG, best on the market.

It is a little thick, and I'm not a full coverage girl by any means. But once it sets, it doesn't feel like I have too much on my face. There is a little creasing, but nothing too obvious and far less (with much better coverage) than any other concealer I've tried.

NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer creases much more than this, and with less coverage. I find them to be about equally drying.

Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer has about the same amount of creasing, but also with less coverage and something about it just looks not as good as the Tarte (not to mention, you're paying more for UD for half the amount of concealer!)

Kat Von D Lock-It Concealer Creme is about equally drying, if not a little more. Provides slightly less coverage and just doesn't look as good as the Tarte overall, but not bad either. Tarte is easier to blend.

Wet N Wild Photofocus has more creasing and was drier for me. Also less coverage. Probably the closest drugstore option though.

There's just something about this concealer that is truly amazing!!

on 9/12/2016 9:06:00 PM

I had to laugh when reading the other reviews, when one reviewer said "I definitely did not need another concealer yet". Bwahahaha! Nope, I didn't need another one either, but of course I bought this anyway. How could I not - how could anyone not! - with all the BUZZ about this one? And I like it, I do. It's very creamy and pigmented and has great coverage. I don't love it, though, and why? Well, I bought both light and light medium, since I like to be able to both conceal and highlight, and have the freedom to be able to mix the two if I needed to. I also have both light neutral and light medium neutral in the UD Complete Coverage concealer, and I wish I'd been able to compare all these in natural light before I bought the Tarte ones. They are way yellow for me - and UD's neutral tones suit me a lot better. I would say that for me they have comparable coverage and wear times, but color wise, the Shape Tape just isn't gonna work for me. It's a bummer, too, because the Tarte is a much better value. I'm not nuts about the applicator - I own Clinique's Beyond Perfecting foundation, and I think the applicators are equally enormous and hold A LOT of product, which naturally ends up on your face, whether you need that much or not, if you're not careful. The Tarte is .34 oz compared to the UD's .16 oz, and UD costs 28 bucks compared to Tarte's 24. And I'm still gonna have to stick with UD, which just proves again that there's no damn justice in this world!