Tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer

Tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer

on 6/18/2018 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have put off reviewing this forever. It is so popular, how can I be so not pleased with it. But alas, I am. It offers nice coverage and a little goes a long way. However, it just wasn't for me and here are the reasons why:

1) From the start, finding a "perfect" color match wasn't proving easy for my deep winter, neutral but pinky with a weird golden undertone.

2) Too drying for under the eye area where I really need it. Maybe it is me and my 43 year old, dark circled, dry skin what ever...but oh my goodness...this just never blended well and left my skin looking OLD.

3) This gets so much love in this Instaglam age. But I prefer to never see product on my face. Bold lip color or eye color...great. But I never want to SEE the makeup or powder on my face. This is my preference. I feel like Shape Tape is better suited for those that want that full polished, perfect, made up look. I like my skin to look like skin. If I use a foundation, I use MAC F&B. When I use this on other parts of my skin, it is just so heavy and visible and doesn't seem to melt into my skin. I tried to use just this for a beach vacation....big mistake. I am going back to my trusted NARS RCC for those kind of days.

Bottom line is this was not written on a whim. I have been playing with this stuff and gave it such a chance because of all the praise for over a year. And I am officially giving up.

on 6/6/2018 8:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this concealer due to its hype but after reading the reviews here I was worried it would not work out for me. I have oily skin and I have noticed some concealers crease under my eyes and make me look older. This concealer does not crease and looks good after a whole day at work! I have not tried many concealers for my undereyes as I don’t have dark circles but in the past I’ve been using MAC pro longwear concealer for my undereyes and that one does not crease. I would say this one is similar to pro longwear but with this you can contol how much you use because it has a wand applicator. I have also used this to cover my hyperpigmentation from acne on my face and it works wonders. Highly recommend and would definitely buy more.

on 5/19/2018 4:29:00 AM

I am on a quest for a concealer that does not settle in line creases. Tarte shape tape was good for highlighting and shaping around my eyebrows but as far as an undereye concealer...I returned it. The formula is rather thick and pigmented and difficult to blend. It dries quickly to a matte finish, and settles into lines easily. I tried several techniques to give it a fair go, with powder to set, without , with a brush with a bit of setting spray to set, oil instead of under eye moisturizer underneath, under eye primer, none helped.

on 5/18/2018 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I am disappointed with this concealer. I tried it on at Ulta and the salesperson kept saying how fantastic it is and I caved. Maybe I expect too much from a concealer, but on me it wasn't a holy grail at all. I have bad dark undereye circles and dry skin and the Tarte seemed to find every little line. I applied over eye cream and NYX color corrector (love that!) and It did give good coverage but it dried down thick and cakey.

I need to try it by itself, not over the color corrector. So far, I like Lancome's Effacernes and By Terry Touche Veloute much better.

Its so cakey, it adds +10-15 ages to your face. It might work when u have very oily skin but if ur skin is normal/dry, avoid this concealer. Coverage is medium to full.

on 5/8/2018 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

It's a matte concealer that easily emphasizes fine lines, texture, or dry patches, so prepping the skin sufficiently is essential. To make it work for me, I place Kiehl's Midnight Recovery oil on my under eyes before dabbing Tarte Shape Tape sparingly and blending it out with a beauty sponge. I like to use this concealer when I want to cover my dark circles on the go without fussing with setting powder, and I don't experience creasing problems. Being matte and high coverage, I find Tarte Shape Tape particularly good for cutting the crease or defining the brows. It has a strong chemical scent, and the packaging box claims it has a shelf life of 6 months. Tarte's shade range leaves much to be desired on the darker end of the spectrum. I am indifferent to the large doe foot applicator, but do see its usefulness for some. Is bigger better? You decide.

on 5/7/2018 12:49:00 PM

This is a weird one for me. I use concealer mostly to cover up blemishes and this doesn‘t really do the job. It‘s not supper full coverage on me. Also the shades are kinda weird. A lot of people seem to love it though. I definitely prefer the nars radiant creamy or even the kylie concealer.

on 5/7/2018 7:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I was really excited to try this concealer due to all the raving reviews. Unfortunately, I am quite disappointed. Tarte is not available in my country (Europe), so I really had to try to get one. The price is high, but you do get a ton of product. You really need a tiny bit, not the generous amounts you see Youtubers apply... The package is nice, the doe foot applicator is enormous! It has full coverage, but my god is it drying :-( I have oily skin, but my undereyes are more normal (sometimes even dry). I don't usually have problems with concealers being too drying, but this one accentuated all the fine lines I didn't even knew I had and it appeared very patchy. Even with a good moisturising eye cream underneath it was awful and don't even try to set it with a powder because that makes it worse.
It didn't help I choose the wrong shade, but that was my fault entirely. I am a NW15-20 in Mac, so I choose the shade fair, but imo it was way too light. I rather prefer a more natural tone under my eyes, closely to my skin tone/foundation, while some prefer the much lighter shades to brighten. If you're not a fan of this, be aware when choosing a shade.
Next I would like to try the Makeup Revolution one, which ought to be a dupe, but I am now continuing using the Catrice liquid coverage one, which is waaaaay cheaper, also full coverage and not so drying (and it smells nice!)

I guess those beauty influencers really are paid by these companies....I expected SO much out of this concealer. I have dry skin and redness that normally I can get away by covering with just concealer, but the shape tape was not near as full coverage as was claimed, it creased like crazy under my eyes, while clinging onto every dry patch on my skin. I love the packaging and the huge applicator but the product itself is not worth the hefty price tag. I'm happier using my $7 maybelline concealer.

on 5/3/2018 7:04:00 PM

When I first bought this concealer I had issues with it. It never seemed to want to sit flawlessly on my skin the way everyone claimed it did! I also felt like it didn’t cover my dark, dark, dark circles as much as I thought a full concealer should unless I caked it on. When I caked it on, it creased and clumped and looked heavy. Honestly, I even started shopping around for new concealers.

I started watching YouTube videos to see if there were any “tricks” to making concealer look better and someone mention Jojoba oil. I ordered some and apply a tiny bit under my eyes and let it soak in for a couple minutes in the morning. Then I apply the concealer in triangles over my dark areas (think YouTuber triangles, but at 70% - you might have to trial and error what is a good amount for your skin) and pat it in with a DRY real techniques sponge. I look up with my eyes (to smooth out the lines under my eyes while I apply) and pat the concealer back and forth. It actually looks AWESOME now! I feel like it has to be the dry beauty blender trick because I’ve forgotten the oil a few times and it still looks good. Then days where I forget to switch sponges and accidentally apply with a damp sponge, I actually see a difference because I dislike how my make up looks! Just for reference I use the Rimmel powder (legit a tap into the product, tap off, then lightly tap over) - no baking for me.

Honestly, since discovering this “go to routine” my under eyes have looked great. If you had asked me a few months ago I probably would have given this product a 2 or 3, but now I love it!