MAC Cosmetics Iridescent Powder - Silver Dusk

MAC Cosmetics Iridescent Powder - Silver Dusk

4.2

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have tried several powder, cream, and liquid highlighters. This was one of the first highlighters I ever tried, and I didn't have it very long. It's a pale pink beige powder with big chunks of silver shimmer. I like shimmery highlighters, but this was overkill, and it wasn't very flattering. It accentuated my pores, and left me looking "greasy". I applied a tiny bit with a fan brush to the apples of the cheeks, and I found it all over my face, neck, and chest instead. It's in a standard loose powder container, so it can get pretty messy trying to put it on. I returned it. I think they just discontinued them, and now I know why.

on 8/23/2011 9:24:00 AM

I wanted to love this product SO MUCH, but alas, after several attempts it's just WAY WAY WAY to glittery for me. I've read many positive reviews, but I feel that if you're over 25 you have no business wearing a product with this much glitter in it. I know several MUA use it on brides. I am a MUA and would never use it on a bride especially if they were going to set a foot outdoors. If you're young, going to a club or a rave, or as Edward from Twilight sparkling in the sun, I would say skip this product.

on 7/30/2010 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Two lippies because it can be used on the body, if you are going to a club. I love highlighters but I HATE glitter on the face. This is just glitter. I gave it to a friend, however, and she loves it. I much prefer the mineralize skin finishes

on 5/19/2010 7:53:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

When i first bought this product two years ago i hated it! It's way too shimmery and even though i was using a tiny ammount of product i couldn't avoid the "disco ball" look. After several experiments i learned this: The only way to make this product work for me, is use it under my blush. Any other way of application(over blush/eye shadow/body highlighter) has been a disaster for me. You get major ammount of product but i can't recall how much i paid for this. I have to say that i'm a HUGE fan of compact highlighters and ever since i've bought this product whenever i hear the words "loose" and "shimmer" combined my answer is "NO"! I know MUA is gonna hate me for this but i'm not gonna repurchase. Ever!

on 1/14/2009 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the product that I have no idea how to make it work. Its all glitters, huge ones, like the one you use to spread on your body during Christmas party. I asked the SA for a highlighter on top of my cheek bone, and she tell me to get this. This is NOT the one. I'm not sure how people can pull this off.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Okay, I decided to give this powder a go because it had good reviews here, but unfortunately, the silvery specks in it are not milled finely enough for me. I can see "scary sparkles" on my face and I just used a touch of it, with my Mac 184 brush. Back it goes!

on 8/24/2005 9:05:00 AM

This review is for the loose powder form. Note that under highlighters, I've reviewed this and rated it a 3. As a highlighter, I'd rate it a 3, but only if I can wash it off right away to prevent it from clogging my pores. As a loose powder, it is extremely heavy and thick, not light and whispery like I think a loose powder should be. That is why I rate this a 2 as a loose powder, but under the highlighter reviews for this product, I've rated it a 3. I can best compare the consistency of this loose powder to that of Johnson & Johnson baby powder. It also feels the same on my skin as I'd imagine baby powder would. The reason I didn't give it 5 lippies is b/c it seems to be too comedogenic (pore-clogging) and b/c it is heavy. Also, I don't care for the messiness of loose powder. I'm not sure how they could have packaged it differently to avoid spilling the loose powder, but this is very frustrating, b/c it gets chunky. Perhaps they could put it in a container like a travel-size J&J baby powder, where you twist the top to expose the holes and lightly sprinkle out the amount you desire. I will say that the container's lid stays on tight, so that's why I rated packaging quality a 2 and not a 1. Since it seems very greasy on, I feel like I want to wash it right off as soon as I get home and as though my face is just waiting to break out in pimples from this. It has the effect of looking beautiful, but perhaps a tad too shimmery/shiny and slightly comedogenic. The price is very good because it lasts forever. IMO, this doesn't look like silver at all, more like a peachy silvery skin tone. I think if they drained it of all of its oiliness somehow, I would buy again, but only in pressed powder form.

on 8/3/2005 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

OK, call me stupid.... I got this really cheap from somebody on LJ, put it on my face as a highlighter... but it seemed too sparkly for a day look. After owning it for a couple months (and it making a freaking mess all over my counter - I will never buy loose MAC powder again. ugh!) anyways, after a couple months I get this bright idea to put a little bit in my foundation. I was so proud of myself for finding a use for this product... until I had used it (not a lot of it, I didnt want to be sparkle-face) for like a week. After a week, my -once in a while break out- skin became 'welcome to the land of a dozen massive red bumps'. It hurt like hell, and I'm still recovering. Stupid me using something thats basically body glitter on my face. sigh.

on 5/16/2005 8:49:00 PM

I have the irridescent loose powder in silver dusk. It's interesting, but in all honesty, I'm disappointed with it. I think that it is misleading to call it irridescent. Irridescent means that it breaks up the light and gives a rainbow-colored oil slick effect. This powder is just glittery. It's also VERY strong. Maybe I'd dust it over my shoulders or in my cleavage, but I can't imagine using it on my face. I'd say get fairylite pigment or Shu IR rainbow eyeshadow instead. If it were sold as a glittery powder, I'd probably give it a higher review. But as an irridescent powder, it falls short.

on 3/10/2013 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I said "yes" to repurchasing this powder but "not sure" is probably more correct. I haven't actually bought this yet - I got a generous sample of this from the nice women at my local MAC counter. I've been trying it out for a few days and while it has an almost fairy-tale magic about it, I think it's a bit too glittery for me except in very small doses. Today, I applied this onto my cheekbones with a large eye shadow brush (so I could control where it went). It was daytime and the sunlight from my bathroom window really showed up the silver glitter. I think it's probably not the best idea to wear this in the daytime (unless you are a skater in the Ice Capades or something like that!). But for a romantic candle-lit dinner, I think this would be really pretty and I also like it in small doses on my cupid's bow and inner corners of my eyes. Once I finish my sample, chances are pretty good that I'll buy the full size of this to use for special occasions (and give the lion's share of it to my much younger daughter!)