MAC Cosmetics Iridescent Powder (Loose) - Silver Dusk

4.2

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

(click for pics-->)
This loose highlighting powder is one of my absolute MAC favorites! This shimmery powder has an amazing sparkle and it gives such a beautiful glow to the skin. It's also incredibly pigmented, so you really don't need much to get an effect. I can't imagine ever using up this powder no matter how much I adore shimmer...

How to use Silver Dusk:

* As an eyeshadow
* On cheek bones and on cupid's bow to give some glow
* Mix in a super small amount in your foundation or face cream to provide some lustre
* Mix it with your body lotion

Yum, shimmer! Glitter and sparkle! Rocketqueen lurves!

continued >>

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

When I first got this, I was so afraid to use it! the color is so gorgeous, but crazy pigmented. The key is to use a very small amount, I like to use what is left on the bottom of the cap after opening. At first, the thought of using this as a highlighter didn't seem possible because it is slightly glittery, but once blended with a brush it is the most gorgeous silver color with sheen- I like using this on my face as well as on my body- collarbone, arms, shoulder, legs etc....you can even mix this with plain moisturizer and get a gorgeous luminous glow. There is so much in the packaging, that this will last a very long time- at least a couple years. This product has really grown on me the last few months.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I adore Silver Dusk! It's the perfect champaigne-y pink nude shimmer. I taped all but 2 holes closed with plain Scotch tape since the sifter lets thru way too much powder and therefore wastes it. It's not as stark as NARS' Albatross, which I love as well. Just a little bit on the cheekbones is lovely. I gave it a 5 in price because, even though it's $22USD, it will last YEARS! My friend has had hers for 8 and is barely halfway through, and uses it a lot and her sifter wastes a ton. It is definitely worth it. Just tape some holes closed and screw the lid on tight!

on 1/14/2009 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the product that I have no idea how to make it work. Its all glitters, huge ones, like the one you use to spread on your body during Christmas party. I asked the SA for a highlighter on top of my cheek bone, and she tell me to get this. This is NOT the one. I'm not sure how people can pull this off.

on 5/5/2004 8:10:00 AM

I have gone through a lot of shimmery products in my search for an HG, and I think this is it. IT! The best ever, most flattering, glowy, subtle, versatile shimmer I've ever had the pleasure of trying out. I first received a sample of this in a swap. There was no label on it, and when I asked what it was, I never got an answer. Well, Fairylite pigment had recently come out and I figured that this was a sample of it. (I had previously tried Fairylite at a store and assumed I had a bad trial) After procuring a pot of Fairylite, this clearly wasn't it. FL is more of a peachy powder with large sparkles. After searching on MAC's site, I realized that my anonymous powder wasn't a pigment at all, but rather the loose shimmer powder. This powder is a creamy smooth pale pink shimmer that blends into my skin until it just looks like I have my own personal flattering light wherever I go. I can also wet a brush and apply the SD to my browbone for a wonderful highlighter that blends in with any look. This powder is neither cool nor warm, so it never looks off. When applied wet it imparts a dewy glow, and dry, it subtly refreshes my everyday makeup. I can happily swap away about a zillion shimmery creams and powders that were somehow wrong for me now that I have this stuff. :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

WHOA, glitter ball alert! It is VERY glittery. Colour is like its description silver dusk with just the tinsient hint of pink. I do like this product but in very small doses and in particular places...Definately not an all over face powder. It is a very obvious highlighter.
The only place I use this as a highlighter is on my inner eye corners. I also use this as an eyeshadow as it catches the light so beautifully on an evening out. Another way to use this is to mix a little in your body moisturiser to get a shimmer lotion. Price is not that bad for the amount of product you get (About $52 nzd). I have had mine for 2 years and still have heaps left! However, packaging is horrid. Too many holes so it releases way too much product, definately not handbag proof!

on 5/19/2010 7:53:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

When i first bought this product two years ago i hated it! It's way too shimmery and even though i was using a tiny ammount of product i couldn't avoid the "disco ball" look. After several experiments i learned this: The only way to make this product work for me, is use it under my blush. Any other way of application(over blush/eye shadow/body highlighter) has been a disaster for me. You get major ammount of product but i can't recall how much i paid for this. I have to say that i'm a HUGE fan of compact highlighters and ever since i've bought this product whenever i hear the words "loose" and "shimmer" combined my answer is "NO"! I know MUA is gonna hate me for this but i'm not gonna repurchase. Ever!

I love this product! It is the only Mac loose shimmer powder I own, but I desperately want more! It is a very finely milled shimmery iridescent powder that is kind of silver, kind of pearly, just perfect! When I first got it I went crazy, and wore it on my eyes as well as to highlight, and it looked great.My boyfriend said I looked like an angel! Would definitely rebuy if there was any chance of me ever running out of this!

on 7/7/2003 5:35:00 PM

This product is awesome! It has so many uses--- eye shadow, highlighter, can be mixed with lotion to make skin glisten; pretty much anything you want to do with it. It's a nice shimmery/sliverish color--- I don't really notice a color as much as it just adds shimmer. A little goes a looonnng way with this. I think I'll have this container forever- and I used it almost everyday! If I ever run out though you can bet I'll buy it again... can you tell I love it?

on 2/27/2013 3:21:00 PM

Overall, I feel like this is a pretty good product. I've used it as a highlighter on my cheekbones, cupid's bow and above my brows. It's very pretty and VERY glittery. You only need the most minimal amount to get a good sheen. Upon first application I applied way too much and I looked like a disco ball. The little bit that gets on the lid from storing is more than enough to highlight an entire face. The only reason I don't give this a 5 is because it doesn't stay exactly where placed. I'm going to try and use it over UD's eyeshadow primer to see if it makes a difference. It also has some obvious pieces of glitter in it that I'm not too keen on. The container is quite large for the amount of product you get, so I know for sure this thing is going to last for years to come. At $25, it had better! lol

EDIT: I tried to use this as a highlighter again, and could not achieve the look I wanted. It looked gorgeous on the eyes over every eye shadow I tried (Electric Eel, Sumptuous Olive, Woodwinked) but it was a bit much for a day look, and with a baby, my nights are usually spent in doors with my baby, my husband, and reruns of Jersey Shore. Thus, I returned this. I wouldn't repurchase.