MAC Iridescent Powder - Silver Dusk

Filtered by age: 30-35
MAC Iridescent Powder - Silver Dusk

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have tried several powder, cream, and liquid highlighters. This was one of the first highlighters I ever tried, and I didn't have it very long. It's a pale pink beige powder with big chunks of silver shimmer. I like shimmery highlighters, but this was overkill, and it wasn't very flattering. It accentuated my pores, and left me looking "greasy". I applied a tiny bit with a fan brush to the apples of the cheeks, and I found it all over my face, neck, and chest instead. It's in a standard loose powder container, so it can get pretty messy trying to put it on. I returned it. I think they just discontinued them, and now I know why.

on 7/18/2012 2:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Super-fine, dewy-soft dust with lots of silver flecks, that goes on predominantly white/pearl despite the faint pink hue in the jar; better for women with lighter skins as it can look ashy on tan to darker skins.
I find this also works better an an all-over dusting powder (face, decollette, legs, arms, even hair!) due to the liberal amounts of silver pixie glitter. For face highlighting, do note this will migrate everywhere instead of staying just where you put it.
This is designed to give you some serious sparkle all over, and not so good for spotlighting areas of your face or creating a dewy, natural sheen, compared to many other products.
Pros: Silky-smooth, and great value for money if you use it all over your face and body because you get a huge jar.
Cons:Without a base to stick to, this functions like a faintly-tinted version of MAC Prep + Prime powder (translucent, easily sheers out to nothing) with silver sparkles thrown in.

I bought this years ago when I was going through my "natural skin" phase, meaning, I stopped using blush and bronzer. I never threw it away, because I was sure that I could use it again one day. Now, about ten years (no joke) later, I use it for a few things. I use it as a highlighter for my eyes, and upper cheek bones, I use it under my brow bone, and I use it to make my lower lip look bigger. When I put my lip liner on, I then put my lipstick on, and I dab a tiny bit of this on the center of my lower lip. I then apply lip gloss around the dab, and blend. This makes my lips look bigger and shiner. It also helps my lipstick not fade for the entire day. I wear a nude shade, but I use lip liner, lipstick and lip gloss in order to make it last. The light powder is a great trick.

The trick I use to get the perfect amount is I flip the container upside down, then flip it right side up, and just a tiny bit of powder will be on the top; that is what I use. If I need more, I do it again. This has been working for me for over 10 years.

This powder will last FOREVER if you need it to; mine is so old that my container is twice as big as the current ones. It seriously has about 3/4 of a cup of powder left; it will probably last for the rest of my life. I have the MAC Golden powder too, and I use that as a bronzer under my cheek bones and around my face. Great Product :)

on 2/11/2012 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is beautiful! At 35, I don't want glitter chunks, and this beautiful powder gives a gorgeous sheen to highlight cheeks and brow bones. I like this better than NARS albatross - its so easy to blend. A must have product!

on 7/22/2011 1:02:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Just got this yesterday, and I'm already a big fan. I read a lot of reviews on it between the time I ordered it and the time it arrived, and I like that reviewers have found so many ways to use it. I can see a lot of potential. I do think it's a product that takes some practice...if you're too heavy handed with it, your face might appear...unusually...bright? But, if you put too much on in any given area, it's easily blended away. Just for fun, I put a really, really light dusting of it across my entire face once I had the rest of my makeup on, and it gave me a great glow. Goes well over top of powder, blush, everything. I do agree that I will probably have this container for the rest of my natural life...a little goes SO far. Like others had suggested, I taped over most of the holes on the sifter with clear tape...it does make it a little less messy.

on 6/23/2011 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this several years ago to use as a cheekbone highlighter but found I couldn't use it on my face because I'm allergic to bismuth (the ingredient in all highlighters and mineral makeups that make them look awesome). Such a bummer because I absolutely LOVED how this looked-- so sheer and bright, very natural but with the right amount of pop. I couldn't bear to take it back so I've been using it as an upper eyelid highlighter ever since. It's so finely milled and so bright that it does a beautiful job of brightening my brow bone and the inner corners of my eyes. And the container I bought YEARS ago still has a ton of product left in it. Lemons = lemonade.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love this powder and yes, a little goes a long way. It is nice lightly dusted on shoulders and chest/ collar bone and used on cheeks under blush it gives a nice glow/shimmer. It is also nice mixed in a little lotion and applied on legs. Nice for summer. It could be used in sooo many ways!

on 4/14/2009 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I picked this up at the outlet for my daughter's dance recital but wound up keeping it for myself. It's so pretty and lasts on the skin. Great product!

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This product is a superb silver shimmer that can be used many ways. I have both this one & the golden bronze. It looks great whether applying a little or a lot. The container is huge & I have had it for several years and I am not even halfway through it.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

OK ... this powder is the bomb. It really gives me a super glowy look. Yes, if you examine it closely, it looks scarily sparkly but on the skin, unless someone *examining* your face, it just looks like glow. Here is my recipe for a super glowy look (so effective that my assistant, who is a make up artist (and knows from glow), asked me how I did it):

jojoba oil all over the face (under my sunscreen)

sunscreen - I use DHC's White Sunscreen

DHC's olive oil around the eyes and across the top of the cheekbone - if you don't want to use either oils then eye cream is fine but obviously not a matte one

Laura Mercier's Secret Weapon or YSL Touche Eclat on the whole eye area

Laura Mercier's Secret Brightening Powder around the eyes

Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals (small amount, really buffed in, with more applied to "problem" areas with a fluffy e/s brush)

MAC's Iridescent powder - I concentrate on the v from the cheekbones to the temple

NYC's Jamaica Me Crazy on the cheeks, with a very small amount on the forehead, down the center of the nose and on my chin

Glow on!