Elizabeth and James Nirvana Rose

Elizabeth and James Nirvana Rose

3.2

I really wanted to like this. I was hoping it would be a more amped-up version of Stella. It is much bolder but it is also very sharp. There is a nice spice quality to it, but this sharp artificial note keeps it from being enjoyable to me. It does have great lasting power. Glad I only have a small sample and didn't buy a bottle of this. I'll stick to Stella and deal with the mediocre lasting power.

on 8/29/2017 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Yuck!! The reviews here make no sense. I got a generous sample of this fragrance when I bought something from Sephora. I guess I fell for the packaging that the little sample came in and expected this fragrance to smell rich and sophisticated. Instead I got a blazing headache hours after wearing it. I feel sorry for my coworkers who probably also smelled this horrible fragrance. I honestly do not smell rose in any way, or vetiver. It smells so old. For the people who said an old attic, I completely agree, some old room in the house where someone smoked cigars decades ago and the smell remained in the wood. If you are wondering about the fragrance lasting, believe me it will last a long time. I sprayed in on my wrist and I could still smell it even after I washed my hands/wrists twice and swiped my wrists with alcohol. I smelling this fragrance right now and feel like the sides of head will start hurting again. There nothing appealing about this perfume. It smells cheap and old.

on 1/26/2017 1:38:00 PM

I've tried all the other Nirvana variations. The ones I was SURE I'd love soured so badly with my body chemistry (especially Bourbon, sadly...it's so sexy when it's not on me) that I didn't even bother with Nirvana Rose. I'm also not huge on florals. It doesn't really vibe with my overall fantasy of laying on oriental rugs day in and day out, being annointed with sacred, lovely-smelling oils by an army of men in loincloths. Well, I got a sample of this with a recent Sephora order and it's pretty great.

That scary rose is in the very first blast but then retreats to the background; it's not a big blooming floral but emits a spicy-skin vibe. It smells like feminine aftershave. The vetiver almost dominates, but my skin has a tendency to mellow out sharper scents, making them creamier, and that note plays with the rose to evoke skin rubbed with crushed rose petals and leaves. Spicy floral tang with the musk of rained-on skin. It reminds me of that scene in Atonement where Keira Knightley is angrily stomping around in the outdoor fountain at her family's English countryside home (I don't like to be reminded of the rest of that movie...).

I can't go anywhere wearing this without people sniffing me. A dab'll do ya, and it has great longevity and throw.

on 5/10/2017 9:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I received a sample of E&J Nirvana Rose and the first few times I wore it, I was shocked that I liked it at all as I do not care for rose scents as they all remind me of Grandmothers and Afghan blankets. However, this rose is deep and subtle. Although not listed in the notes I detect a citrusy burst which according to some other sites is Bergamot (not listed in the simple 3 note description of this scent. Nor is the Patchouli which clearly shines in this mix with the geranium lending a clean herbal scent to the vetiver base which is just plain lovely woody and earthy.

Overall this is a different kind rose perfume and one that I find I can tolerate. I may even purchase a large bottle as I found myself reaching for the sample over and over.

Notes: Rose de Mai, Geranium, Vetiver, (but I suspect many more)

on 1/5/2017 4:18:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I got this as a sample from Sephora and when I first sprayed it, the words that immediately came to mind were "grandma death bomb" for some reason. It's not a classic rose scent, and it's not even necessarily "old" smelling, but something about it, to me, is just... stuffy. I wasn't a fan. But, I've worn it a few times when I don't want to waste my good perfume and I get SO MANY COMPLIMENTS. Seriously, when I'm wearing this, I can't go anywhere without having a full on conversation about what perfume I have on. It's weird. I don't think I've ever worn a perfume that's illicited so many enthusiastic compliments. And it's cool, cuz when they ask what brand it is, I get to gleefully reply "Mary-Kate and Ashley!" Because even though Mk&A are too cool to brand stuff with their own names these days, I will 100% always take joy in calling them out ;)

on 5/19/2017 12:19:00 PM

A solid 3.5 stars. I guess I'll start by saying it is hands down my favorite from the E&J line. I scored a 1oz bottle from a Sephora sampler but have since gotten rid of it and replaced it with a rollerball. So I guess I can say to me it still isn't "full bottle worthy".

I can't sum up any perfume with one word except this one. Every time I apply it to my skin my first thought is that it is "unapologetic". 'Unapologetically what?' I guess depends on my mood when I apply it.

I got this desperately wanting a deep and sultry patch/rose combo. This did not deliver. Rather I find it to be a virile, sharp, loud vetiver/geranium mix. Lots and lots of vetiver!

It's unapologetic. There's all edges and no smooth contours to even it out. There's no come hither base musk. No approval seeking sweet notes. No easy to understand floral-ey tones..
Theres just tons and tons of vetiver sitting on an ultra-green, almost tomato-leafy geranium. And the result is in part men's aftershave and in part laying down on the forest floor and hoping that you're not accidentally laying next to something poisonous.

In short I don't know why I own this. The harsh woods note is kinda nice. It makes me feel like a badass who needs no approval. This is also great for layering. Makes any fruity floral a bit more complex.

I don't think I'd buy it again. Packaging is gorgeous-- both for bottle and rollerball.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This scent reminds me of walking into a funeral parlor. It's sort of "generic roses. " It's not bad, but I think there are better roses for around the same price. I recently had a Roses de Chloe edt sample which I found superior.

on 12/20/2016 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

OK, I'm not hating this rose scent, which is rare for me. I dislike most strong, floral rose fragrances, so if that's what you're looking for here, you might be disappointed. For me, most rose fragrances feel old lady-ish, but this definitely doesn't. It's as much a woody fragrance as it is a rose, maybe more so. The vetiver is strong, and it makes the rose (which IS there), something more modern, a little edgier, a little less ladyish. I'm digging it. There's a powdery tone that comes in after a few minutes, and it softens a little, but it's still like you mixed a rose perfume with a dab of a great men's cologne. Not unisex so much as both sexes combined.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Smells stinky and awful like a musk and amber and rose in one. Not a good one. It's very spicy and loud.

on 12/16/2016 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I got the Sephora Play box variation with this perfume sample, and what a pleasant surprise it turned out to be! Nirvana Rose is a simple blend comprised of just three notes: Rose de Mai, vetiver, and geranium. However, that isn't necessarily a bad thing: in the world of fragrance, simplicity is just as difficult as complexity to pull off masterfully. I think Nirvana Rose definitely did succeed in that regard.

Rose-centric perfumes are one of my favorites but this flower definitely can be very finnicky. I think we've all smelled rose perfumes that were "old ladyish", astringent, or inundated with sugar to the point of being almost unrecognizable. However, if done right, rose is one of the classiest flowers of them all.

Nirvana Rose feels like a classic rose perfume in a very sophisticated, modern sort of way (if that makes sense): cold, dark, with a twang of metal and just the faintest hint of jam and honey in the background, turning softer and muskier over time. There is no straight-up sugary sweetness here, which may or may not be to your liking. I absolutely love it, especially on these dreary, rainy days. As a lover of well-done rose fragrances, I think I may have to pick up a full-size of this.

Popular Fragrances