Herbivore - Blue Tansy AHA + BHA Resurfacing Clarity Mask

3.7

on 10/7/2017 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I got this in a Sephora Play! Box, used it twice.

First off, the tingling/ stinging is mild and goes away quickly....however any kind of irritation like that can worsen hyperpigmentation, and a lot of other skin problems someone might be trying NOT to exacerbate.

I found the exfoliation on this was unremarkable......practically nonexistent.....I get better results and no irritation from leaving Neutrogena oil free acne wash on for a full 5 min.

As other reviews have stated, it is very unsanitary packaging for something with no preservatives. Why not an airless pump?

There are a lot of better AHA/ BHA treatments out there, most are more sanitary and many don’t include irritating plant oils or menthols.....you don’t need that to “know that it isn’t working” ....if the product actually works, you will SEE the results.

I've had this for about 4 months and this has also started to turn and murky green and grow mouldy on me. HB should either reformulate it or package in smaller jars so that consumers can use it fresh. Not repurchasing!

on 4/23/2017 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I really like this mask. It's one of my favorite exfoliating products. I gone through two jars and will continue to purchase.

Me: Dry and dehydrated skin. Very pale and can be ruddy.

Product: AHA + BHA Resurfacing Clarity Mask. It's a jelly-like texture. Easy to appy.

Use: The instructions state that you should use this every day for a week (unless you're sensitive), then use it once a week or so. I leave it on 15 - 20 minutes. It rinses clean.

Impacts: It is probably one of the weaker exfoliating products I have, but it also makes my skin look great. This is a product I could use prior to an important event to look refreshed, whereas some of the other products have to be used at night or when I'm not leaving the house because they leave my skin a bit red. This product exfoliates, refreshes, and takes all the red out of my skin. It leaves my skin even and clear.

Scent: There is a strong and strange scent, but I don't mind it. It seems very herbally, but also a bit like paint thinner.

Packaging: It's a small glass jar with a screw top. The glass is heavy and substantial. I'm fine with the packaging, but wish there was a way to make it more hygenic.

Price: $48 for 2oz.

Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis (Organic Aloe) Leaf Juice, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose (plant derived), Glycerin, Tanacetum Annuum (Blue Tansy) Leaf Oil, Jasminum Sambac (Jasmine) Absolute, Carica Papaya (Organic Papaya) Fruit Extract, Carica Papaya (Organic Papaya) Leaf Extract, Ananas Comosus (Organic Pineapple) Fruit Extract, Ultramarines CI 77007, Salix Nigra (Willow) Bark Extract, Leucidal (Radish Root ferment)

on 9/10/2017 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I was already a fan of the herbivore face oils and this mask comes a nice add on in my routine.
I like the minty fresh scent it has and it really works very softly for sensitive skin. I use it twice a week and in comparison to more harsh AHA/BHA products (like Paula's Choice for exmaple, which always gave me a rash and also flaky skin for several days) it works very sublte. It does leave fresh and softly peeled skin without doing any damage.

Now for the people who say it changes color or grows mold. I didn't experience this as of course with organic products without chemical preservatives you have to act a bit more careful than with drugstore brand products which are full to the brim with parabens and other things that will preserve them literally forever and even if you sneeze into them I presume.

With real organic products which do not come on tube but in an open tub like this you should never use your fingers to take the product out, but of course a clean spatula. Also immediately close the tub and keep it in a possibly cool place, which is not necessarily your bathroom which is heated up by hot water and the like all the time. I bought this two times now and used it over several months like described and it didn't change color and there was now mold.

That being said and as the product indeed is very delicate for the mentioned reasons, I would wish herbivore would sell it in a sealed tube instead of an open glass jar. It just is very sensitive to bacteria so it would be the better solution for sure.

I'd recommend this for sensitive and also dryer skintypes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

This product really does have high quality ingredients and is gentle enough to use 2-3 times per week. There's a cool, minty herbal effect on the skin and I feel like it does gently clean out my pores. Of course it's overpriced just like most beauty products on the market.
I'm not sure if anyone else experienced this but I purchased this jar about 4 months ago and it certainly has changed overtime. The color went from a brilliant blue to a murky, green. There's also some kind of mildew/mold growing on the inside of the cap and around the rim of the jar. I didn't trust using the rest of it so I had to toss the jar while it was still half full. I'm thinking it's because there's little to no preservatives in it which makes it a breeding ground for bacteria. If that's the case, then herbivore should package it in a much smaller jar so consumers can use it up before it begins to go bad.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

I love how light this mask is. It applies really lightly, and has a nice cooling effect on the skin. I also love the minty scent of it. It does have a slight tingle but nothing that's too uncomfortable. I use it about 2-3 times per week. On my skin it's very gentle, and once removed the skin appears to have a glow.

on 3/25/2017 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Love this mask. It's a great gentle, chemical exfoliator. You should follow the instructions and the first time around use this mask 3-4 days in a row, then switch to 1-2x a week. It has consistently given me smother and brighter skin. I am olive toned, so I get hyper-pigmentation marks very easily and this does help fade them. Also helps with clogged pores. The next morning my skin is smoother, softer and brighter. It has a slight tingly feeling, but nothing overwhelming. I love the look and scent of this as well. I am almost done with my first jar and will be buying another as soon as I run out, will also try the other enzyme mask from Herbivore.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this mask!!! Has a cooling, tingling feel when on and helps clear up my skin.
Leaves my skin feeling soft and not irritated, I also have a lot of closed comedones on my face and I feel like this has helped reduce them a lot.
I'm half way through this and I plan on buying another jar, it comes with its own spatula too. I got it for about $50 on Sephora.
Blue tansy supposedly helps with redness and inflammation too I believe?

The Herbivore Blue Tansy mask is a very good exfoliater. It is effective but the jar packaging is a bummer. This deteriorates the active ingredients with exposure to air. My more detailed review video is below.

I am almost through a jar of this product, and have been using it 1-2 times per week for several months. Pros are that I love the herbal/medicinal scent and that the mask has not been too drying or harsh (I tend to be dry in the winter). The main con is that with so much use I haven't noticed much of a lasting effect on my skin- it seems pretty much the same in terms of evenness, brightness, texture, etc. I also find it somewhat annoying to remove after use, kinda gummy. I will continue to use the product until it's used up- which I have to do quickly because the colour has started to change - it's a natural formulation so not the most stable.