CLINIQUE Pep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
CLINIQUE Pep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer
Pep-Start Hydroblur MoisturizerPep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer

2.8

Water, Glycerin, Sodium Polyacrylate Crosspolymer-1, Acetylated glycol stearate, Myristyl Myristate, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii, Mangifera Indica Seed Butter,Hypnea Musciformis Extract,Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silesquioxane Crosspolymer, Gellidiela Acerosa, Sigesbeckia Orientalis Extract, Alcaligenes Polysaccharides, Algae Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Squalane, Ceramide NP, Beeswax, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Caffeine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trehalose, Sodium stearoyl glutamate, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Hydrogenated polyisobutene, Hydrogenated lecithin, Sodium polyacrylate starch, Pentylene Glycol, Laureth-9, Laureth-23, Silica, Silica silylate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Red 4 (ci 14700), Yellow 5 (CI 19140)

on 7/8/2018 9:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This is basically like using a primer as a moisturizer, except it doesn't actually behave like a primer. It doesn't control oil or shine, or blur pores, it just made my skin feel and look dry.

I have combination skin that's oilier in hot weather and thought that it would be a great summer moisturizer. I've had a lot of luck with other Clinique products (Take the day off cleansing oil and City Block sunscreen are ride or die for me). I just don't think this is a good product. Clinique products are also always reasonably priced for their quality, but you need so much of this to cover your face, so that was also a con.

I gave it a point for being fragrance-free, but would not recommend for any skin type.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is my 6th-7th moisturizer from Clinique and this part of my review applies to every single one of them: Too. Much. Silicone. I have some worries about silicone like while it instantly makes the skin smoother, it feels like a skin make-up so to speak. Not change the skin but gives the illusion it has by making the surface get softer, like a wax. There isn't enough research on silicones so I can't say it does for sure but based on how my skin responds to silicone-rich moisturizers, I feel like they dry the skin in the longterm. I can still ignore the silicone if it's not listed high on the ingredients list but in every Clinique moisturizer it's high on the list, sometimes more than one silicone like this moisturizer.

The texture of this moisturizer is quite thick but that didn't bother me. No irritation. I think it would make a good primer before make-up indeed. I have combination skin with cheeks area that is a little on the dry side and t-zone that is a little on the oily side. I would say this moisturizer is for normal skin. It didn't do the best job on my cheeks but also didn't get my t-zone oilier than it is.

P.S. If you're wondering why I still shop at Clinique although I'm not satisfied with any of their moisturizers, it's really just because they make some good promotions. This should be a model to other brands.

P.P.S. I know I already talked about silicones but I genuinely don't understand why Clinique has many different moisturizers and STILL not make one that doesn't have silicone. That one I would actually purchase without needing a promotion. Other ingredients are really good in Clinique's moisturizers, just leave out silicones in a moisturizer for once for those of us who don't like them?

on 8/20/2017 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I hate the consistency of this. As others have written, it is like a type of primer in its consistency...it reminds me of a dried up gel-cream. It is ok moisturizing my combo-oily skin, but i don't see any pore blurring or priming effects. I had a travel size and I wouldn't purchase the regular size.

on 7/19/2017 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This really isn't a moisturiser. I use it as a primer, and for this purpose it's fine. It's like a light version of the Clarins Lisse Minute / Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch, but you get more product for less money. Very siliconey!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Not sure of the purpose of this besides a moisturizer as it did not blur my pores or work that well as a primer. Instead I found it sticky and slightly gooey on my face and I have mostly N/D skin right now with some slight oil on my chin by night time. I hate the jar; this should really be in a pump. This gets under my nails-yuck. The texture is really thick and it is unscented. I'm glad others get a blur effect but for me this did not work and it will be going back.

on 3/13/2017 3:27:00 PM

I received a deluxe sample of this in my Sephora bonus Pep Start Full of Pep Set. My first problem with this is the texture. It reminds me of the icing that comes in a can of cinnamon rolls. Application is very sticky and unpleasant. It feels like applying straight silicone to your face. It does not "blur imperfections" as it promises. Yes, it does moisturize. Yes, it has been kind to my sensitive skin. The problems are that it is gummy and it does not minimize pores, dry patches, or blemishes. I still have to use a concealer.

It works really well as a primer, but it's not moisturizing enough to replace your regular moisturizer. I find by the end of the day, the skin around my mouth is really dry and tight.

on 2/16/2017 9:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is essentially a primer for under your makeup. It is a moisturizer as well, but I think it's primary function is to act underneath foundation. This is a good option for combination to oily skin, as it will fill in pores and make them appear to be smaller (thanks to the filling action of this moisturizer). It worked well for my semi-oily skin, and I found it helped my foundation go on smoother. $39 CDN for this 50 mL jar. Only at Sephora.

on 11/29/2016 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

A "dermatologist tested brand safe for acne" my ass. This contains "Myristyl Myristate" which is a level 5 comedogenic ingredient which can . and WILL clog pores badly! Luckily I didn't get huge zits from using this only once, but my face did get more red than a tomato. So disappointed, research your ingredients. Really Clinique?

on 10/16/2016 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

clinique pep start moisturizer to be like a moisturizer+primer in one. while light-weight, it is quite sticky due to the glycerin and has a silicone feel to it. i dont find it particularly moisturizing (but ok for normal skin) but as a primer it is pretty good.

my foundation (ELDW) stayed on all day, through motorcycling with a full-face helmet and bandana around my face. it did not transfer to the helmet nor rub off due to the bandana. the foundation was still on my face 10 hours after application.

in the summer i would just use this product on its own under makeup, but in the winter i will need a moisturizer before the hydroblur.

i think this would be a good primer for oily skin.
i wish the product was packaged in a pump bottle instead of a jar into which i have to dip my fingers.
it is price-y at $29.50 USD for 1.7 ounces but not extremely expensive in comparison to other primers available.