CLINIQUE Pep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer

Filtered by skin type : Dry
CLINIQUE Pep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer
Pep-Start Hydroblur MoisturizerPep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer

3.3

Water, Glycerin, Sodium Polyacrylate Crosspolymer-1, Acetylated glycol stearate, Myristyl Myristate, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii, Mangifera Indica Seed Butter,Hypnea Musciformis Extract,Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silesquioxane Crosspolymer, Gellidiela Acerosa, Sigesbeckia Orientalis Extract, Alcaligenes Polysaccharides, Algae Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Squalane, Ceramide NP, Beeswax, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8, Caffeine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trehalose, Sodium stearoyl glutamate, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Hydrogenated polyisobutene, Hydrogenated lecithin, Sodium polyacrylate starch, Pentylene Glycol, Laureth-9, Laureth-23, Silica, Silica silylate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate, Red 4 (ci 14700), Yellow 5 (CI 19140)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

WHOA. I did not expect to fall in love with any product that says mattifying moisturizer on the label. That usually means it's for oily skin types, and I am as dry as possible during the winter! This stuff is great, though! It really does moisturize and have this cool blurring effect that I love as a canvas before applying foundation. I've only been using it about a week, so we'll see how it goes through other seasons, etc. I only use it in the morning, as I don't need the mattifying or blurring effects at night. My morning routine goes like this:

1. Wash face, sometimes, if I'm not feeling lazy, with Philosophy Purity cleanser
2. Toner, Kiehl's Calendula (this is often step 1, because I seldom wash my face in the am)
3. Serum, The Ordinary Buffet or Hylamide SubQ
4. Vitamin C, Hylamide C25
5. Sunscreen, Shiseido in the blue bottle
6. Clinique Hydroblur
7. Sometimes I add a touch of Tatcha Silk Canvas in a few areas, sometimes I don't.

After that, I put on my makeup. I've never had an issue with pilling, I think it may be because I use chemical sunscreen. (Physical sunscreen tends to cause pilling with many of my products, so I finally had to go for convenience and cosmetic elegance.) My skin looks so smooth after I apply the Hydroblur. This is what I wanted Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base to be, but that one was an overpriced underperformer for me. I'm honestly still amazed at how hydrating the Hydroblur is! It has some good ingredients as well, such as shea butter and mango seed butter, along with hyaluronic acid, ceramides and squalane. I got this on sale, but even at $29.50 for 50ml, it's a steal, and I hope this one holds up once warmer weather comes! I started using it in December, so we'll see.

on 7/3/2018 9:06:00 PM

This is one of my favorite face products. I guess it is my 5th now, and I have 2 more (bought it when it is cheaper) because I am definitely sure I will keep using it. In the beginning I used it right after toner and it was enough. Maybe my skin (or maybe because of the seasonal change) needed something more, and I used my own mix of oil before this product and it was perfect. It makes the oily shine go away and keeps the skin moisturized all day. I don’t need to refresh moisturizer through the day normally, only (and sometimes) my chin and around the lips. But when I use this product I don’t have to use anything else and the best part is it is like a primer too.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Not sure why this is marketed as a moisturizer - it’s really more of a primer. It’s too thick and takes a long time to absorb. I noticed slight blurring, but not enough to blow my mind. My dry skin needs something more nourishing without any added silicones.

on 1/18/2018 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

My skin is dry-combination right now and I'm always trying to find good moisturizers.when I went to repurchase clinique moisture surge,which I love,SA suggested me to try this one as moisture surge was out of stock and she said that pep-star hydroblur will prevent my foundation from sticking to my dry patches and get flakey
It's an ok moisturizer but I believe it's better suited for people with drier and more mature skin because it blurs fine lines a bit and mature skin aren't usually acne prone
It has a very thick texture,so you'd like it only if you like rich moisturizers.it can feel too heavy for people with oily skin and may cause acne.it was a good makeup base for me but was a bit oily for my tzone and I felt it's clogging my pores
I won't repurchase

on 12/1/2017 11:46:00 AM

The Clinique Pep-Start HydroBlur Moisturizer is a decent moisturizer for someone who has dry non-acne prone skin. My only real issue with it is the fact that it comes in a jar which allows all the good antioxidants to degrade with exposure to light and air. If you have acne prone skin I would caution use of this moisturizer because it is so thick and paste-like, and it contains some potentially pore-clogging ingredients. When you apply this you can definitely feel it on just because the texture is so thick. This also prevents some breath-ability of the skin which can also allow pores to become clogged. This does slightly blur fine lines but not quite as muc as promised. My more detailed video review is here:

on 7/19/2017 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This really isn't a moisturiser. I use it as a primer, and for this purpose it's fine. It's like a light version of the Clarins Lisse Minute / Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch, but you get more product for less money. Very siliconey!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

It seems like skincare products with makeup usage in mind (or is it the other way?) are kind of a trend nowadays: the new It Cosmetics compact foundation/serum hybrid, moisturizers with a barely-there tint, illuminating face mists, and a slew of face moisturizer/primer multitaskers, such as this product.

This is a moisturizer that promises all-day hydration while controlling oil and also priming the face. I think the primer portion is comparable to Benefit's Porefessional: it visibly blurs pores and provides a silky smooth canvas for makeup to glide on top of. Unfortunately I did experience my foundation breaking up throughout the day, which never happens with my other primers. Also, although it controlled oil decently, it wasn't very moisturizing, at least not enough for me to use as a standalone moisturizer, so I think it's definitely better for oily-skinned people.

All in all, this is kind of a "meh" product. I still think using a separate moisturizer and primer is optimal. I always appreciate Clinique's very reasonable price point, though.