Sol de Janeiro - Brazilian Bum Bum Cream

Sol de Janeiro - Brazilian Bum Bum Cream

4.1

on 10/28/2017 8:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am so sorry that I am in the minority here but... this cream stinks to high Heaven and I don’t mean it’s just heavily scented. This is overwhelming, overpowering, over-priced, and over-hyped. I only tested this in Sephora and the scent literally stayed with me all day and night. I washed my hands at least 15 times, did the dishes, tried to use a fresh-scented hand lotion to mask the smell but it didn’t work. Another reviewer said this smells like Bath & Body Shop’s Warm Vanilla Sugar. I can assure you it does not. Maybe there are notes of vanilla within the mix of whatever else they put in this cream although I don’t know why it is so heavily scented. Did they think this would smell better than your bum bum? Even my dog went running for cover because this was too powerful for her nose. The one redeeming quality this has is that despite all the hand washing, this cream is super moisturizing. So if the scent does not knock you over and you like it then this might be great for you. If they had a mildly scented option I probably would have purchased it. Bottom line, I highly recommend you test in store before purchasing.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Sadly this is out of my economic range. $45 for an 8oz tub? Omg... I got this as a sample from oct 2017 ipsy & I want to buy this real bad. I love the scent! It smells like a pina colada. But I wear perfume anyways so it’d just squander the scent. I reserve it for using on my hands so I can smell it. For the poor person, try Jergens hydrating coconut lotion. Even B&BW vanilla bean Noel is similar for $14. Egads smdh $45 and I’m coveting this delish scent. As stated below this can’t pass thru fat molecules too big so it can’t really firm your “bum bum” but your “bum bum” can be soft as a baby bum bum if you make use of this. Sorry I won’t be repurchasing. ;-/

on 9/13/2017 4:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Oh my god this smell!! I thought people were exaggerating. I didn't know what I was expecting but for me the fragrance combines the coconut-y tropical scents we're used to in more conventional body creams and sprays but makes them slightly more sophisticated and more sensual. Absolutely love this and the texture is super luxurious (I like that it's not watery or gel-like but not super thick either). I also love that the cream really absorbs into the skin quickly and you're left with soft skin that smells amazing. Obviously fragrances are very personal and subjective but I was expecting this cream to be hype but I have smelled my skin about 15 times in the last hour. I bought the small pot and will definitely buy the big one right away and maybe save this for travel or to leave at my desk. I'm also usually too lazy to use body cream but this might actually convince me because of the smell and the consistency just feels really heavenly and not too thick to put on. I would say if for whatever reason you can't get your hands on it in a store, to order the small container online assuming it's within your budget, because even if you don't like it you'll be able to give it away to someone who will. I'm going to buy the spray that goes with it too. Love it!

UPDATE: I've used it for a while now and I still adore the scent and the feel of the cream on the skin is nice. I find that since I have quite normal skin that it can be hard for me to speak to skincare benefits especially for products on the body opposed to the face. I just wish that the scent lasted longer. That being said, for this to last long enough I imagine it would take getting the shower gel, cream and the spray. For me I'm rarely going to do all those steps because I'm lazy and have skin that doesn't need a lot of moisture. Also, adding up those three steps makes this quite an expensive and time-consuming scent. I am not taking off lippies because I'm not sure if other body creams or lotions last longer than this and if you like pampering yourself and doing all those steps then I think you'll likely love this.

on 8/13/2017 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This stuff is straight up delicious. It smells like (light) tropical fruit dusted with powdered sugar. The lotion itself isn't super thick, blends well and sinks in without feeling sticky. There is some slight shimmer on the skin (no chunks of glitter) and it's very subtle and tasteful. I'm unsure if I would repurchase simply because of the price (and the lid is a bit clunky and tricky to close).

on 8/14/2017 8:59:00 AM

This is product is OK, but personally I think it's a bit over-hyped. For one I have not noticed any firming effects whatsoever, and while many users seem to be excited about the subtle shimmer I don't find it that extra special. It is a nice amount of shimmer, but I find it very similar to jergens and a few other products so it's not really anything worth throwing a bunch of money at. As far as moisturizing goes this stuff is OK, it has about a medium heavyness with is probably good for summer. It's strong enough to moisturize my skin well, but my dry hands still feel thirsty after putting this on. As far as the smell goes it smells like coconut cream pie and over ripe fruit. I don't think it's bad, but I don't think it's very glamorous either.

Edit (09/14), I'm taking a lippy away because the more I use it the more I find the smell just really off putting.

on 8/14/2017 9:40:00 AM

don't care if it firms or not,,,I can't get enough of this stuff. I bought the whole line. Makes me feel happy eveytime I open the lid. SMELLS SOOOOO GOOD! Last all day too!

on 7/7/2017 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I completely understand that this cream will be passionately loved by some and loathed by others, and that is most likely due to its strong scent. Only if you like the tropical coconut-vanilla-pineapple fragrance you will be very pleased that it has serious staying power. I personally like it, and I wish every scented body cream had this kind of longevity. Moreover I like the consistency of this balm, it doesn't pill, it is non sticky or greasy and allows me to get dressed quickly after applying it. The tub packaging is ok for me, although I would prefer if this came in a tube because it would be easier to travel with. I have not noticed any firming action on my body after using this cream and I find the sheen that some reviewers describe extremely subtle. All said, I strongly recommend to try before you buy to see whether the scent is for you, especially because this product is not cheap. I will repurchase.

on 6/21/2017 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I did not like the smell of this cream at. all. I fell for the Youtube beauty blogger hype and ordered a jar - which I promptly returned after one use. A review below mentioned that the scent reminds them of BBW's Warm Vanilla Sugar and they are so right. It's just like that scent but with a hint of some kind of unpleasantly overripe fruit on top of it. I do have to say that I wish every scented body lotion had the scent staying power of this cream. I mean the scent just lasted and lasted and was almost supernaturally strong. I started to feel like I was in a cloud of this scent and it would never end. It was the bath and body equivalent of Stephen King's The Mist ffs. Eventually I had to take a shower because I could not stand one more minute of the smell. When I was sorting clothes for the laundry that week the t-shirt I had been wearing the day I tried this cream still smelled so strongly of it that a tidal wave of fragrance came up out of the laundry basket and hit me like a ton of bricks. Unreal. I SO wish this had been a beachy, coconutty, sun-drenched tropical scent but for me I didn't get anything close to that vibe. Musky vanilla fruit is all I experienced. The cream itself was very moisturizing, verging on greasy, and had teeny sparkles. None of which would have bothered me if I could've stood the fragrance. Normally when I dislike something this much I give it one lippie but since there was nothing wrong with this cream other than my personal preference regarding the scent I bumped it up to 3. I would never buy this again unless they came out with another scent, and even then I would definitely try a sample first because whatever the scent is you had better love it because it's going to be your life until you shower it off lol.

on 5/24/2017 8:23:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This body cream smells amazing. I took off one lippie because it is so expensive. It has a caramel kind of beachy scent with a nutty undertone lol. It's hard to describe but really really amazing. The product claims to be firming however that is very difficult to determine. It does contain a form of caffeine which should have some firming attributes. Regardless I am in love with the scent and probably will repurchase. It is impressive and I have had several compliments when wearing it. It absorbs quickly and the scent lingers most of the day.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

AhhhMAZING STUFF!!! I bought this to bump my Sephora stat up tbh and got the 20$ bottle..when i received it lemme say first the smell was just to die for! But as i rubbed my entire body in this tightening firming body cream,i automatically felt the hydrating love to my skin.. I thought for sure the smell would fade like most others by the end of day but NOOO! I could still smell it as i was in the shower after sweating all day. It gives me a pretty glow and delivers everything it says! My tummy feels firmer already and iv only used a week..iv have 4 kids and used tons of products to firm and tighten my thighs and belly and none work like this and this isn't even said to promote pregnancy marks-it just does! Love LOVE this and recommend to anyone!

Popular Lotions / Creams