Essie Gel Couture

3.7

I never write reviews anymore THIS is so bad it has moved me to review again. I am actually thinking of contacting essie something I have never done with another cosmetic company. The only conceivable way they could be worse is if they actually stayed on the nail more than a day because then you would be stuck with their bubbly, patchy, sheer, messy chipped look . Luckily all 5 times I have tried these in both 'spiked with style' and "flashed" with the matching top coat, wrapping my tips applying two-3 coats ( doing everything right) they have chipped and peeled beyond wear by the end of the day. I honestly CANNOT understand the high rating on this product. Essies regular formulation is about 5 dollars cheaper per bottle and about 10x better and I don't even really care for it but its better than this!

Nailing down what makes this so bad is easy. The formula is ridiculously thin and runny while the brush is humungous very difficult combo to work with. I'm a very careful polisher with a steady hand and it was hard not to get this everywhere. The thin formulation is also I suspect behind the chipping and the sheer patchy look. Theres no varnish or smoothing element to this product ( isn't this half the reason we wear nail polish?!) just a thin veil of colour that accentuates flaws in my nails I didn't know I had. Then When you try and fix this by doing more than 2 layers the bubbling is horrible and it STILL does not become fully opaque or flawless looking.

The topcoat is equally as bad and thin although the big brush doesn't cause as much of a problem because of course it is clear. This topcoat is useless it doesn't gloss over the polish creating smoothing any streaks or even dents in polish application creating a flawless look the way most gel topcoats do nor does it provide shine ( because its not thick enough to do either of these things) any initial shine was gone by the end of the day and made the one nail without a chip on it look like a two week old shellac ,there but matte and utterly lackluster.

The nerve of this product to boast twelve day wear and to charge 50% than their regular formula makes me never want to buy an essie product again even though the gel setter is a great topcoat I buy on a regular basis ( since it tends to go bad quickly)

Ps this takes FOREVER to dry how with such a thin formula I will never know

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

HG nail polish! I had liked Essie's regular formula colours but not the terrible wear! This new formula with gel topcoat lasted through airport baggage, flight, and a full week after without chipping. It's the only polish I can get more than 4-5 days out of. It remains glossy and pretty fresh looking for a long time.
I have tried the topcoat with other brands and those that are notorious for chipping (Essie orig, Chanel...) still chip pretty quickly. However I do find it extended my already good wear out of Zoya and Sephora Formula X (full weeks+ out of all) I will repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Love this new gel nail polish by Essie! I still use the old Essie polish from time to time, but hands down the new gel colors are so much better. In order to get a shiny and longer manicure also use the clear gel top coat.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Oh my god. Holiest of grails. These retail for $16.95 I’m Australia, and have only just launched within the past month (despite a summer 2016 release for America). I picked up 2 colours, Make The Cut (nude grey beige) and Couture Curator (soft peachy pink) with the matching top coat, honestly not expecting a lot having tried many other “UV-less Gel polishes” like: Revlon Gel Envy Sally Hansen Miracle Gel CND Vinylux OPI Infinite Shine And had varied success but nothing to get excited about. These Essie polishes are supposed to have a 14 day wear, I don’t know about that, but as someone who usually has polish chip on me within 24-48 hours, this polish is currently still on my nails 6 days later, with no chipping, tip wear, dullness or cracking. The polish feels nice and hard on the nails, similar to how actual gel polished feel. The brush is lovely and wide, being few streaks to cover the nail and avoid streaking. The stem of the polish is twisted, intended to stop excess polish from dripping and flooding the nail. The top coat is a must have, it doesn’t crack (SH Miracle Gel leaves cracks when I’ve used it) and dries surprisingly fast, as did the polish. I have now ordered more polished from this line, as now they’re on sale for $10 each. I liked regular Essie polishes, but never had this wear time out of them, they don’t dry as fast and the brush is notoriously thin and frustrating to use. I’m going to keep this polish on for as long as I can, to see how durable it truly is, however I would rarely wear the one colour past a week, we all get bored and want a change!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

The new Essie Gel Couture line is thicker than than regular Essie polish. The formula is a true cream, and most shades become opaque in just 1-2 coats.

The Gel Couture brush is comparable to Sally Hansen's Complete Salon Manicure brush. It is wider, denser and has tapered edges unlike the original Essie brush. This makes application quick and easy. It is great for quick coverage in less strokes, perfect for beginners and those who prefer wider brushes.

The only one I didn't like was Spool Me Over. It's a beautiful color but the formula is streaky and never dries.

My manicure definitely lasts longer when I use the Essie Gel Couture Clear Topcoat. This topcoat can be applied over other brands of nail polish to extend wear time, so that is a plus. I also use Orly Bonder base coat, which helps my manicure last longer.

Like most nail polish, this formula is best applied in quick, decisive strokes. Once you swipe a section of the nail bed, let it be. Don't overbrush to correct streakiness, especially with pastel colors.

For flawless application, I paint all nails except my thumbs. That way, I can use my thumb nail as a tool to tidy up the edges of the other nails. I wipe the excess from my thumb(s) with a tissue while the paint is still wet.

I'm loving the Gel Couture line even more than original Essie polish!

My two favorites so far is "Take me to Thread" a nice rich taupe-like color. And "Fairy Tailor" a light pink-neutral color. HOWEVER I did try "Make the Cut" and that one was horrible. It applied blotchy and chunky, and when you try to smooth it out it create a separated look. Yuck. But that could just be me sucking at applying nail polish haha Overall highly recommended!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

Essie tends to go for 'safe' shades and finishes for their polishes, the actual product formulation for their Gelcouture range is superb; you're getting the non-streaky, high-shine, plump look of a gel polish, without the need to buy the pricey heaters that you need to use to cure a gel polish. Then there's also no need to worry about the tricky removal and damage to nails that a real gel polish causes.

I'm very tough on my hands and nails, so I find that their Gel effect polishes don't wear much better than their regular polishes do on me [one to two days more - nothing close to twelve days], but the formula for all five shades I own is the same excellent quality; almost one-coaters, so smooth and non-staining. There is less mess & no streakiness with he Gelcouture line, and the paddle brush is excellent for my nail shape - I definitely prefer their Gel Effect polishes over their regular line. Well worth paying a few more pounds for.

If you are not bothered about extending the wear of the polish for as long as possible, then you can use any topcoat over this line of polishes, rather than buy the topcoat that goes with it.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

LOVE THIS LINE. Rich formula & pigment, longwearing, vibrant color & finish, long-lasting, easy to apply, minimal application mistakes (great brush!). Costly, but worth buying a few well-loved colors. The formula & application brush are excellent.

The topcoat is rather useless to me, but other users seem to like it better than I do. Any topcoat works with these colors for me, though I tend to get a little shrinkage no matter what I use, even the matching topcoat that's made for these.

My fave colors are: Sheer Fantasy (sheer blush cream), Beauty Marked (true red cream), Rock The Runway (tomato red cream), & Gala-Vanting (vampy burgundy cream). Next I want to get Flashed (orange red cream). Essie offers my favorite shades of red that I haven't been able to find elsewhere. These are flattering to my medium skintone & they (hallelujah) don't morph into some shade of ugly after drying that makes me want to hurl. They stay color-true throughout wear.

Miracle of all miracles, this polish doesn't chip on me at all. It helps that I keep my nails short, but other polishes chip on me within 5 brutal workdays in a nonstop frantic medical office, & this product just doesn't at all. I don't get salon gel manicures, never had one. This'll be the first time I'll be able to go on a week's travel vacation with full confidence that my manicure won't chip or peel off by day 3 (or right after swimming)! Very excited at the prospect, as I can't stand ruined mani/pedi's on vacay. Been using this line for a few months & get consistent results each time. Virtually HG.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Something about this brush just makes it so easy to perfectly paint my nails. I love the rounded edge as it just rounds off at the cuticle perfectly. It dries fast and is opaque in 2 coats, what more can I ask for?

This is a terrible product. I used 4 coats and the polish still looks streaky. I thought it was just the colour I purchased, so I tried another one with the same results.
The gloss in step 2 is no better than a regular shiny top coat.
Terribly overpriced for what you're getting.
Will definitely not buy again.

Popular Polishes