Essie Gel Couture

3.5

I had high hopes for this because I love the essie gel setter top coat, but I was sorely disappointed. The colour I bought was a pinkish-white (not advertised as sheer), and it required 3 coats to not look streaky. Once the top coat was applied, the polish was even less shiny than my regular nail polish. Within 3 days it was crinkling on my nail and I had to take it off. I'm definitely returning this one.

Love these polishes! If combined with an Essie Gel top coat, they'll stay on pretty nicely. I love their colours and the brush is quite thick so it's easy to apply them neatly. They're well pigmented and there are loads of pretty colours to choose from. Would recommend! Along with the ones from Sally Hansen - these are the best long lasting polishes that I've ever tried.

LOVE Sheer Fantasy for a natural looking nail. But, don't cover with their recommended top coat because it shrinks!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

What a waste of money. I bought these because my usual nail polish never lasts more than one day. I have peely nails and tend to start picking at my nails if my nail polish lifts. I was hoping these would help prevent that based on the video reviews I have seen. Unfortunately these only lasted 1 day on my nails :(. They started peeling at the edges and I had massive tip wear! I followed the instructions and used the colour "Matter of Fiction" and followed with the "magical" top coat. What a disappointment! They were also around $12 CAD so I feel like that's a ripoff when you can buy a regular nail polish that lasts the same amount of time for around $4. I will try returning these.

I wanted so badly to like this polish but it did not live up to its claims or my expectations. I got a manicure in the TOUCH UP colour...very pretty and professional. It chipped on one of my nails shortly afterwards. I was able to go back to the manicurist and get that particular nail touched up...great! By day three there was significant wear on all of my nail tips despite the fact that I wore rubber gloves whilst doing the dishes. For this reason, I cannot justify paying such a high price to have a manicure last as long as when I do my own nails, at home, using my HG base coat, nail polish, and top coat. For me, this is a no go.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is my first try with Essie's Gel Couture (Competitor to CND Vinylux) hybrid long-wear polish. It is about $12 per bottle (ouch) and claims to wear for up to (up to) 14 days. I am on day 2 and have one chip already. There is no base coat, you apply 2 coats of (Thin, watery) color and use their "special" pricey top coat and air dry (no light cure needed). Removes with "regular" remover - we shall see.

Thus far the color I chose is pretty (and seems to already be d/c'ed per Essie's website (Holiday 2017 Collection??) - it was an opaque (and slightly chalky) lilac/periwinkle called "Studded Silhouette". Pretty but a little too "Easter egg" for me. Good for the spring.

Still testing wear and I will update again - I am on day 6 with one tiny chip/scratch.
I think I shall go back to gel polish after this - my nail place charged $18 for a mani with this. (Regular mani with "traditional" lacquer is $15, gel is $25)

First I am giving this 1 lip as I got it for $4 at Marshalls, otherwise, I would not have tried it at the regular price,
that said it is an amazing polish.

There was only one bottle there Sheer Fantasy, you can never be sure how those are going to look on the nail. but this went on beautifully, no streaks, nice coat of sheer light pink. TBH I would like more color but anyway

the gel topcoat also applies nicely. brush shape is good

5 days no chips, (maybe one small one) and I added one over the weekend.

would try another color if I see it there,
PSA Harmon has a 2 pack for $17 and you could use a coupon bringing the cost down

I never write reviews anymore THIS is so bad it has moved me to review again. I am actually thinking of contacting essie something I have never done with another cosmetic company. The only conceivable way they could be worse is if they actually stayed on the nail more than a day because then you would be stuck with their bubbly, patchy, sheer, messy chipped look . Luckily all 5 times I have tried these in both 'spiked with style' and "flashed" with the matching top coat, wrapping my tips applying two-3 coats ( doing everything right) they have chipped and peeled beyond wear by the end of the day. I honestly CANNOT understand the high rating on this product. Essies regular formulation is about 5 dollars cheaper per bottle and about 10x better and I don't even really care for it but its better than this!

Nailing down what makes this so bad is easy. The formula is ridiculously thin and runny while the brush is humungous very difficult combo to work with. I'm a very careful polisher with a steady hand and it was hard not to get this everywhere. The thin formulation is also I suspect behind the chipping and the sheer patchy look. Theres no varnish or smoothing element to this product ( isn't this half the reason we wear nail polish?!) just a thin veil of colour that accentuates flaws in my nails I didn't know I had. Then When you try and fix this by doing more than 2 layers the bubbling is horrible and it STILL does not become fully opaque or flawless looking.

The topcoat is equally as bad and thin although the big brush doesn't cause as much of a problem because of course it is clear. This topcoat is useless it doesn't gloss over the polish creating smoothing any streaks or even dents in polish application creating a flawless look the way most gel topcoats do nor does it provide shine ( because its not thick enough to do either of these things) any initial shine was gone by the end of the day and made the one nail without a chip on it look like a two week old shellac ,there but matte and utterly lackluster.

The nerve of this product to boast twelve day wear and to charge 50% than their regular formula makes me never want to buy an essie product again even though the gel setter is a great topcoat I buy on a regular basis ( since it tends to go bad quickly)

Ps this takes FOREVER to dry how with such a thin formula I will never know

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

HG nail polish! I had liked Essie's regular formula colours but not the terrible wear! This new formula with gel topcoat lasted through airport baggage, flight, and a full week after without chipping. It's the only polish I can get more than 4-5 days out of. It remains glossy and pretty fresh looking for a long time.
I have tried the topcoat with other brands and those that are notorious for chipping (Essie orig, Chanel...) still chip pretty quickly. However I do find it extended my already good wear out of Zoya and Sephora Formula X (full weeks+ out of all) I will repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Oh my god. Holiest of grails. These retail for $16.95 I’m Australia, and have only just launched within the past month (despite a summer 2016 release for America). I picked up 2 colours, Make The Cut (nude grey beige) and Couture Curator (soft peachy pink) with the matching top coat, honestly not expecting a lot having tried many other “UV-less Gel polishes” like: Revlon Gel Envy Sally Hansen Miracle Gel CND Vinylux OPI Infinite Shine And had varied success but nothing to get excited about. These Essie polishes are supposed to have a 14 day wear, I don’t know about that, but as someone who usually has polish chip on me within 24-48 hours, this polish is currently still on my nails 6 days later, with no chipping, tip wear, dullness or cracking. The polish feels nice and hard on the nails, similar to how actual gel polished feel. The brush is lovely and wide, being few streaks to cover the nail and avoid streaking. The stem of the polish is twisted, intended to stop excess polish from dripping and flooding the nail. The top coat is a must have, it doesn’t crack (SH Miracle Gel leaves cracks when I’ve used it) and dries surprisingly fast, as did the polish. I have now ordered more polished from this line, as now they’re on sale for $10 each. I liked regular Essie polishes, but never had this wear time out of them, they don’t dry as fast and the brush is notoriously thin and frustrating to use. I’m going to keep this polish on for as long as I can, to see how durable it truly is, however I would rarely wear the one colour past a week, we all get bored and want a change!

Popular Polishes