Essie Gel Couture

3.6

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought two of these plus a top coat, a dark blue and a light shimmery grey.

Love the colour, the super shiny topcoat and the fact that they lasted 5 days minimum on me (would've been longer but I took it off - the only chip I had was on a nail I broke). Wears at the tips but that's to be expected!

The brush is great and the twist in it does stop drips. It might be a little large for those with very small nails - it was ok for me but a touch tricky on the pinky.

I've knocked one lippie off only because the dark blue has stained a bit. Not too badly, just where I have a flaky bit, but I have other navy blue polish that doesn't stain at all.

I love the bottle, I'm just not sure how many I'll buy of these. £10 each is right at the top of what I'm willing to pay for polish, and I'm pretty sure that the topcoat will get gloopy before I can use it all up.

But, all in all, I'm very impressed!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

These are so much better than regular Essie polishes, because 1. the brush is wide and curved at the end, like Sally Hansen's CSM, so you can cover each nail in 2-3 strokes (1 for pinky) while having a neat cuticle line, and 2. they dry quickly with minimal smell. Couple of comments: probably due to the twisted design, these bottles break easily (I'd never had a bottle of polish break in 30 years until now) so be careful. Also - the top coat that comes with these polishes is not as good because it has a strong smell that lingers, which I hate, so I use a different top coat.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this at Ulta in a set with the color Lace Me Up and the top coat. I've been excited to try this line because the Gel Setter top coat is my HG, so I was intrigued by more Essie + gel products. I used my 20% non-prestige coupon and wanted to get the set specifically so that I would have the top coat to try with other shades/polishes.

So far I've only been wearing Lace Me Up for 2 days and I'm on the fence, leaning toward unimpressed just based on application. The shade is nice, but it took three coats to be fully opaque, and even then was still streaky/see through in some places. It also took FOREVER to dry. I waited far longer than I generally do between coats and still managed to mess a nail up trying to open the top coat bottle.

Then, the top coat. The brush on mine is a little wild, with the bristles splayed a bit at the ends. I didn't think it was a big deal, but it left gouge lines in my polish after application, which only worsened the streakiness. The polish color also transferred onto the brush regardless of the fact that I let it dry for ages before applying top coat. It also wasn't very shiny even immediately after application, and dulled very quickly afterward. I'm considering doing a top coat touch up with the Gel Setter, but I want to see how long the polish lasts as is.

I really LOVE the brush shape. The fan shape is a little extreme and I could see it being cumbersome to people with small nails, but I love that I can literally paint my entire pinky nail in a single stroke. Despite the mediocre formula of the Lace Me Up shade, the application process was wonderful.

Lastly, the polish is holding up on my nails really well so far. Granted it's only been two days, but I've showered and done dishes since applying, and usually one of those things causes a chip somewhere in my manicure. I've also hit my nails or gotten them caught on things and expected to see a gouge, but nope! So far, so good.

I definitely want to try other colors in this line since I think the shade I have is my main issue, so consider this review a tentative first impression and I'll update later. :)

I LOVE the "Pinned Up" color- it's a lovely opaque pink- nude neautral perfect for the office.
Does it last 10 days?
Nope. It lasts just as long as the other Essie polishes I have- for me and my dishwashing hands that means new polish every 4 days with a touch up 2 days in between. I'd be delighted if this lasted 6-7 days but it doesn't.
Still- Pinned Up is my favorite go-to neutral so I'll keep buying.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Honestly I would have rated it higher than two stars if it wasn't meant to last for 10 days.
Pros:
- rich colors
- easy application
- fast drying
Cons:
- lasted ONE DAY on my nails and started to badly chip the next morning! (I haven't done anything like house cleaning or using my hands too much!) tried it again - same story
- dark colors are staining nails

Will not repurchase or recommend to anyone who isn't addicted to Essie.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I LOVE this nailpolish. I bought them on sale for around $10 CA dollars each. I now own close to 10 colors. The bottle design in itself is unique and stands out so I like it. The brush tip is wide so it makes it much faster and easier in painting your nails. A few of the colors need triple coat while most need double coat. I have not tried it with triple coat of the color though just in fear of it not sitting nicely on the nails. I do use the top coat and I love the colors they are very rich and they last a week for me which is a nice change from 2 days. They start chipping after a week but I do feel no matter what nailpolish you need to take it easier on your nails but it holds up to my daily routines. I will say the dark blue abd shimmery dark green are phenomenal colors and look absolutely stunning!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

As a busy college student who doesn't always have time to polish her nails, but still wants to look good; I love this stuff.

I have two of the more neutral shades; Pinned Up (a peachy pink in a cream finish) and Touch Up (a muted grey tinged mauve in a cream finish) along with the base coat. These are definitely more expensive at around $10CDN for each bottle, but it's worth it to me.

Both shades are easy to use and look good in 2 coats. They dry at a decent rate. They also dry to a very shiny finish!!

The brush on these gel couture polishes is amazing. It's a wide paddle brush like the Sally Hansen salon complete polishes. It's so so so much better than the standard Essie brush. The brush makes polishing my nails so quick and easy.

I pair these with the gel couture top coat. They wear very well on me. 10 days in, my nails look as flawless, chip free and shiny as the day I did them. After that tip wear starts to set in, and I get some minor chips. After 14 days I get some serious chips and the shine begins to dull. The polish is as easy to remove as a regular nail polish.

I've used Touch Up twice and Pinned Up three times and I have not noticed my nails yellowing or drying out. My nails are brittle and dry anyway and I have not noticed an increase or decrease in brittleness.

I just love the fact that I can slap these on and not have to worry about painting my nails again for two weeks. The brush along with the formula, the glossiness and the wear time all make this polish a winner in my book.

I used "Sew Me" (peachy shell pink) and true to its claim, this polish lasted and lasted without a chip for nearly two weeks. I am too cheap and impatient for a gel manicure. With Essie Gel Couture, I only got a new manicure on day 11 because my nail beds started growing out, no tip-wear or chips whatsoever. I bring my dog to work, I cook, don't have a dishwasher and work a desk job which means my hands are in constant use carting my dog to and from work and walking him, washing dishes, eating and typing (yes sometimes at the same time!) throughout the day. I am a believer and will only use this formula 4eva!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

EDIT:
I had to come back and give this a 5. I have been using it regularly and getting more than a week without chips, which is unheard of for me (and I've been wearing nail polish for 40 years).

I do get SLIGHT chips on 2 of my nails that are peeling. But the chips are due to my actual nail peeling, not to the polish. On the nails that are in good shape, this stuff wears amazingly! I spend all day typing for work, and I also wash dishes and clean my own house, so my nails take a beating.

Other than following the initial application directions (as I stated below), what makes the difference is ALSO following the directions to reapply top coat every 2 days. When I started doing this, I noticed even better results than in my original review (below).

Almost finished w/ my first bottle and going back to buy more.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I purchased this in Fairy Tailor, a sheer pink, to do my nails before a weeklong vacation. I didn't want to deal with chips or redoing my nails during that time. The polish lasted well during the trip, with one chip that I fixed. Overall, it lasted 9 days, and when it did finally start to chip, it was at the cuticle end of the nail (started to lift).

The second application, once I was back to normal life, didn't fare as well. It lasted about 3 days with no chips and 6 days total (with chips that I fixed). During this time, I had cut my nails short and wasn't able to seal the free edge, which I think makes a difference.

The third time, I have gotten 8 days out of it with minor chips that I fixed. I'm going to redo my nails just because my cuticles need attention, but the actual polish could go a few more days. The sheer shade definitely helps, so I can't speak to how well it wears with darker shades where chips are more obvious.

The polish is super shiny and I feel like it makes my nails stronger. They have been growing faster since I began using it.

I also like the brush which makes it easy to apply. I watched a how-to video on BeautyGeek that explained the brush and how to apply the product for best results. (No base coat). I followed these directions when applying.

The polish also removes super easily.

Now that I invested in the topcoat (having to buy a set of two $11.50 polishes was my major hesitation) I would try other colors in this line, probably a red.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Lasts a long time on my toenails so I'm happy with that. Doesn't last more than a few days on my fingernails, though

Popular Polishes