Essie Gel Couture

3.6

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

The new Essie Gel Couture line is thicker than classic Essie polish. The formula is a true creme - opaque in just 1-2 coats.

The Gel Couture brush is comparable to Sally Hansen's Complete Salon Manicure brush. It is wider, denser and has tapered edges unlike the original Essie brush. This makes application quick and easy. It is great for quick coverage in less strokes, perfect for beginners and those who prefer wider brushes.

My manicure definitely lasts longer when I use the Essie Gel Couture Clear Topcoat. This topcoat can be applied over other brands of nail polish to extend wear time, so that is a plus. I also use Orly Bonder base coat, which helps my manicure last longer.

Like most nail polish, this formula is best applied in quick, decisive strokes. Once you swipe a section of the nail bed, let it be. Don't overbrush to correct streakiness, especially with pastel colors.

For flawless application, I paint all nails except my thumbs. That way, I can use my thumb nail as a tool to tidy up the edges of the other nails. I wipe the excess from my thumb(s) with a tissue while the paint is still wet.

I'm loving the Gel Couture line even more than original Essie polish!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

Essie tends to go for 'safe' shades and finishes for their polishes, the actual product formulation for their Gelcouture range is superb; you're getting the non-streaky, high-shine, plump look of a gel polish, without the need to buy the pricey heaters that you need to use to cure a gel polish. Then there's also no need to worry about the tricky removal and damage to nails that a real gel polish causes.

I'm very tough on my hands and nails, so I find that their Gel effect polishes don't wear much better than their regular polishes do on me [one to two days more - nothing close to twelve days], but the formula for all five shades I own is the same excellent quality; almost one-coaters, so smooth and non-staining. There is less mess & no streakiness with he Gelcouture line, and the paddle brush is excellent for my nail shape - I definitely prefer their Gel Effect polishes over their regular line. Well worth paying a few more pounds for.

If you are not bothered about extending the wear of the polish for as long as possible, then you can use any topcoat over this line of polishes, rather than buy the topcoat that goes with it.

This is a terrible product. I used 4 coats and the polish still looks streaky. I thought it was just the colour I purchased, so I tried another one with the same results.
The gloss in step 2 is no better than a regular shiny top coat.
Terribly overpriced for what you're getting.
Will definitely not buy again.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Something about this brush just makes it so easy to perfectly paint my nails. I love the rounded edge as it just rounds off at the cuticle perfectly. It dries fast and is opaque in 2 coats, what more can I ask for?

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

LOVE THIS LINE. Rich formula & pigment, longwearing, vibrant color & finish, long-lasting, easy to apply, minimal application mistakes (great brush!). Costly, but worth buying a few well-loved colors. The formula & application brush are excellent.

The topcoat is rather useless to me, but other users seem to like it better than I do. Any topcoat works with these colors for me, though I tend to get a little shrinkage no matter what I use, even the matching topcoat that's made for these.

My fave colors are: Sheer Fantasy (sheer blush cream), Beauty Marked (true red cream), Rock The Runway (tomato red cream), & Gala-Vanting (vampy burgundy cream). Next I want to get Flashed (orange red cream). Essie offers my favorite shades of red that I haven't been able to find elsewhere. These are flattering to my medium skintone & they (hallelujah) don't morph into some shade of ugly after drying that makes me want to hurl. They stay color-true throughout wear.

Miracle of all miracles, this polish doesn't chip on me at all. It helps that I keep my nails short, but other polishes chip on me within 5 brutal workdays in a nonstop frantic medical office, & this product just doesn't at all. I don't get salon gel manicures, never had one. This'll be the first time I'll be able to go on a week's travel vacation with full confidence that my manicure won't chip or peel off by day 3 (or right after swimming)! Very excited at the prospect, as I can't stand ruined mani/pedi's on vacay. Been using this line for a few months & get consistent results each time. Virtually HG.

The first time I wore it it lasted a week which is awesome (no top or base coat), but the second time it lasted only 2-3 days, maybe a top coat will help. I LOVE the brush (way better than regular essie brushes) and the application is smooth and even, but I do feel like it's already becoming thicker and I've only used it a few times. I would say give it a try if you like their colours, but I'm pretty sure it's the same price or even more than OPI (which imo is the best polish brand hands down).
Also, I do feel like a lot of the colours are kind of dull/greyish.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

So I bought a few of these. One came in a kit with the top coat and was a dark blue it didn't last anywhere near as long as promised chipping after 2 days. I later picked up Make the Cut and Touch Up. Touch up is a pretty easter-y cream purple-pink that is very opaque and applies wonderfully in 2 coats. I decided to try this with a base coat, used Essie first base base coat and it stayed for 4-5 with only a few small chips. I work in health care and wash my hands a lot so 4-5 days is near impossible for me. Make the Cut is a pretty pale grey with a purple undertone which I didn't like at first but it grew on me quickly. It did not last as long even with a base coat starting to crackle and chip after 3-4 days. So overall I would repurchase these, they last longer than other polishes on me as long as I use a base coat. The finish is nice and I love the wide brush. I find them a bit too expensive at $11.99cad.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

14 days? Yeah right... If I do my manicure Sunday night, by Friday morning same week the polish is unwearable. Unless you are into chipped nails. Or polish peeling off... It is decent quality for a regular nail polish, applies alright, dries pretty fast, but doesn't live up to the claims with wearability. I got 2 colors- a light and a dark, so I got to test it for a few weeks to be fair. I apply as Essie recommends, and I do my best to wear gloves when doing any cleaning, but no luck with long wear. You get 4, maybe 5 (if you are very-very lucky and literally do nothing with your hands) days.
I also found that this polished really dried out my nails.
Overall, overpriced for what you get. Nothing special, just your regular faster drying polish.

Absolutely love this nail polish!! Really hope they come out with more colours. I've tried countless brands of nail polish and all of them chip within the first of second day of wear. This is the first nail polish I've tried that still looks great after a week. Would highly recommend and definitely will be purchasing more colours!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought two of these plus a top coat, a dark blue and a light shimmery grey.

Love the colour, the super shiny topcoat and the fact that they lasted 5 days minimum on me (would've been longer but I took it off - the only chip I had was on a nail I broke). Wears at the tips but that's to be expected!

The brush is great and the twist in it does stop drips. It might be a little large for those with very small nails - it was ok for me but a touch tricky on the pinky.

I've knocked one lippie off only because the dark blue has stained a bit. Not too badly, just where I have a flaky bit, but I have other navy blue polish that doesn't stain at all.

I love the bottle, I'm just not sure how many I'll buy of these. £10 each is right at the top of what I'm willing to pay for polish, and I'm pretty sure that the topcoat will get gloopy before I can use it all up.

But, all in all, I'm very impressed!

Popular Polishes