LUSH Hair Custard

2.5

Vanilla Pod Infusion (Vanilla planifolia) , Water (Aqua) , Glyceryl Stearate

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I actually like this! I have very long, quite thick hair, and I use it on my ends after I washed it. I think it smells amazing, like vanilla essence, and while the consistency is quite thick, I don't mind it. It makes my hair smell great and leaves my split ends moisturized. I also like to put this on my ends and put my hair up in a bun, at the end of the day when I undo my hair, it is shiny and curly. I would like to give this 5 lippies, also for their policy to recycle all of their plastic packaging - but I have worked for Lush last year and found out that the shop I have worked at just threw away the plastic containers that customers would bring in because it was "too much of a hustle to collect them and send them to the UK again" (where they are being recycled normally, my shop was in the Netherlands).... since then, I am a little hesitant on completely believing their claims. If my shop did it, who says other shops don't?
All in all, I'm still a fan of Lush products like these, but they don't get extra credit from me for being moral and environmental- and customer-friendly anymore.

Pro:
- well, they are cruelty free
- amazing smell
- hydrating

Con:
- rather expensive
- false claims, at least at my store in the Netherlands

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

One of my favorite SAs at LUSH loaded me up with huge samples of all of the new hair products during my last visit. She told me that she uses Hair Custard on her short, wavy, gorgeous hair, but that I could use it to soften the ends of my long hair and tame any fly-aways.

Nope.

I cannot believe how sticky this product is. Thick and sticky, reminding me of Elmer's glue paste. I used the tiniest possible amount and it made my fingers sticky, my hair sticky, my fingers were stuck in my hair... It clumped up in the ends of my hair and made my hair stick together in heavy knots. It was so strange. Just like getting glue in my hair. I kept feeling like I had wads of food or something stuck in the ends of my hair, they were so heavy, clumpy and weighed down. My husband also kept telling me that I had something in my hair, in a bad way, and said that it felt sticky when he touched my hair.

I usually love LUSH's vanilla fragrances, but this is savory and herbal and smells like curry to me. I was hoping for something like Vanillary, but I don't get vanilla from this at all.

There's no way that I could get a brush through my hair after using even a small amount of this. It would get stuck in the hair clumps and shred my hair. The only way to save my hair after using this was to wash it.

Hair Custard cannot be used on dry hair at all and, when used on wet hair, made my hair clump up as it dried. Urgh.

Maybe this would be better if I had very short hair, but even then, I hate the smell and it made my hair feel like a knotted, straw-like mess. That stickiness never really went away.

I'm so picky about what I use on my hair, and this is never going in my hair again. I gave it two tries (dry and wet) and can't believe how bad it was for my hair. I don't see it as a leave-in conditioner type product at all, more like a sticky hair gel thing.

On a semi-related note, I really hate that if I post a good review on LUSH's website, my review gets posted almost immediately, but any reviews with 3 stars of less just magically disappear. I find that really shady of the company. Even the 'good' reviews on their site mention how this makes most people's hair gunky.

Popular Styling Products