Paula's Choice Resist 10% Niacinamide Booster

Paula's Choice Resist 10% Niacinamide Booster

4.1

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Niacinamide (vitamin B3, barrier preservation/pore size reduction), Acetyl Glucosamine (skin conditioning agent), Ascorbyl Glucoside (vitamin C/antioxidant), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Phospholipids, Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-identical ingredients), Allantoin, Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (soothing agents), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract (soothing agents/melanin inhibitors), Ubiquinone, Epigallocatechin Gallate (antioxidants), Beta-Glucan (soothing agent/antioxidant), Panthenol (skin conditioning agent), Canosine, Genistein (antioxidants), Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate (stabilizers), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Xanthin Gum (thickener), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives)

on 5/30/2018 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have such a hard time rating a product that doesn’t work for me solely because my skin is sensitive. Whenever I use this product, my skin itches. I only have used it one day at a time (i.e., never multiple days in a row) because of this reaction. I just confirmed that I react to niacinamide by looking at some other products that I acted to, and, yep, they had niacinamide high on the ingredients list. Thus, I can’t really comment on how well the product works because I can’t use it consistently. It feels weightless on, though, and the container makes it easy to dispense the amount desired.

on 2/5/2018 10:45:00 AM

So I'm 54 years old. What that means is that I've tried LOTS of products in my life and also that I have a realistic view of how much any one product is going to do to hold off the inevitable result of living & breathing for over half a century. I had never tried anything from the PC line before, however. Since I have been paying some attention to the Beautypedia reviews, I thought I'd actually try a couple of Paula's products a couple of months ago when I saw they were on sale. I have to say that this one is definitely worth the full price! It somehow makes my skin act younger. I did see a slight reduction in pore size (though nothing miraculous on my life-long cratered nose😔), but more significantly I noticed a definite improvement in texture and in my skin's ability to retain moisture. I suppose this is due to an improved barrier function since it does not feel tacky or anything like that. It just feels incredibly soft & somewhat plumped. It has also simplified my routine because I am actually able to get by without washing my face in the morning, which never seemed to work for me before (and probably helps keep further drying away). So I wash my face at night with the new Almay cleanser/makeup remover, then apply 3 drops of this, straight, directly to my face & neck, including around my eyes, just patting it on with my hands. I then pat 4 drops of plain avocado oil over that & finish with a bit of the cheapo CeraVe eye cream. In the morning I use the CeraVe day cream that has retinol & zinc sunscreen in it plus a bit more eye cream and I'm ready to go. That's it. Easy-peasy. Very happy I discovered this product!

on 12/25/2017 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I put off trying this for a long time because I am cheap and Paula B. kinda rubs me the wrong way (the preachiness, sometimes I just can't), BUT it's such a good product. Oh I tried other niacinamide serums. I loved LifeLink Metazene Gel for it's simplicity, but it's kind of a hassle to get. The Ordinary's Niacinamide & Zinc serum was crappy and then it broke me out which is pretty much my experience with the entire line. I finally, finally caved and bought this, and... well... it was love. It was exactly what I wanted: a thin, watery product I could mix w/ other serums or essences or whatever to add/boost the niacinamide content. And 4 drops every night added to my Missha FTE is enough for me to see the same results I was getting from a dedicated niacinamide serum (skin tone evening, fine line fighting, etc). And even though a bottle is pricy at $42 each, I've been using the same bottle for months since you have to use so little at a time.

I think I noticed just a slight differance in my pores. Hard to notice tho. But this bottle goes a looong way I have to say.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have dry, sensitive, cool toned very pale skin. Before using PC products, I had more noticeable pores. I blame the sudden shrinkage and improvement squarely on this niacinamide booster. My skin was looking good after plying it with various Paula's Choice products. My skin approved of this regime- but my pores remained defiant. Those biatches loved being noticed under makeup! This product is great. Considering my skin lets me know very quickly if it doesn't like something, this has caused no redness, irritation and does what it claims to do. I just use the dropper and place a few droplets directly to my cheeks and spread it over my entire face. It comes out like water and absorbs very fast. After trying a dozen PC products, some I've loved, some I've been indifferent to and ONE I hated (check my reviews), I've narrowed my collection down to 5 must haves. This booster is one of them. I've already repurchased it and will continue to do so. I won't go without it (but my pores would like me too!).

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Background:
I have acne prone skin, with a lot of clogged pores (cheeks, chin, forehead), blackheads all over and super oily skin. I had great success with Paula's other BHA products (below) and thought I'd add this to my skincare.

Results:
The product broke me out, and did not help in the slightest.

Texture:
Product felt very silky, and soaked right up into my skin.

Packaging:
Packaging was good. The dropper works well, and doesn't leak.

Price:
Average. The bottle is quite small, but you only use a few drops, so I would assume it'd last quite a while.

Routine:
Morning: I wash with La Roche Posay Oily Sensitive Skin, apply the BHA 2%, then Paula's Resist Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense Spf 30.
Night: I wash with the same cleanser, apply Clindoxyl Gel, and then moisturize with jojoba oil. I alternate the Clindoxyl Gel with Paula's 4% BHA Treatment every couple/few nights or with Paula's 10% AHA Weekly Treatment (now that it's summer, I'm mindful not to use the high % acids at night, if I know the next day I'll be out in the sun all day).

I ended up returning this product to Paula's Choice within 30 days. Will not purchase again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I might see a little difference in my pore size but not sure

on 1/26/2017 2:22:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love the water-light texture. Perfect for oily skin and for those who can't wait for gels, lotions and creams to sink in. You can combine it whatever you already got in your routine. Really works to tighten up the skin with no side effects for me.

I tried the much cheaper niacinamide alternative from The Ordinary line and it was irritating and drying for whatever reason, not to mention a thick gel. Wanted to save some money, but it looks like I gotta stay faithful to this pricey little gem for the results.

on 1/7/2017 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I bought a bottle of Paula's Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster, mostly because I'm trying to fade hyper-pigmentation on my face and I have large pores on my nose. The sample packaging really didn't do this product justice, and only helped me verify that the product would not irritate my skin. As a result, the bottle purchase was a bit of a risk as I didn't know if it would do much for my skin.

The product is extremely thin, and doesn't lend itself to being used straight. Due to the watery texture, much of the product runs and is wasted. I resorted to mixing around 8 drops with a dollop of serum in my PM routine, aiming to get around 5% niacinamide concentration. With this approach, the mixture was still a bit thin, but more controllable. I appreciate the fragrance-free formula, and I like the natural niacinamide scent. Generally, I didn't feel that this product was particularly irritating. However, sometimes when my skin was acting up, I found it stung a little when applied.

I'm nearly to the end of my bottle now, and I will not repurchase. It is not that I don't think niacinamide is beneficial. Rather, it is much more practical for me to use a product that already contains the minimum effective percentage of niacinamide. That way I can better control the application, and I know I will never have a proportion error due to using product from a dropper bottle. Overall, I didn't see a significant improvement in my complexion--and I definitely didn't notice any pore-shrinking. Since my hyper-pigmentation is not PIH, it is possible niacinamide simply won't show a dramatic result for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This stuff is weird. I love it. I hate it. I'll buy it again, though...because it's some VERY POTENT stuff. Insanely potent. It's probably the most powerful topical skin product I have ever used (including Retin A)

I have very oily skin, and as I age, it actually gets worse--and my large pores are more noticable than ever. Enter Resist Niacinamide Booster 10%. Holy cats.

I have used this product for two weeks (might update if things change), and in that short a time, my pores look like they've almost disappeared about my nose and inner cheeks. The oil they produce has ALSO almost disappeared. I add two drops of the booster to my mix of hydroquinone from Obagi, and .1% Retin A.

I have an oil slick of a face. Makeup slides off me like melted butter on a knife. I have to fight my makeup to stay on my face longer than a few hours, and i am constantly blotting up swaths of oil from my whole face. Somehow, this stuff made that JUST STOP. I don't know how. I don't care. This is the "love" part of my review. For the last two weeks, I have maybe had to blot ONCE A DAY (previously, it was more like 6 times/day or more). I. LOVE. THIS. It's a freaking miracle product.

Now for the HATE. LIke I said, this stuff is POTENT. I am not prone to breakouts, and I don't have really sensitive skin...but THIS CLOGS MY PORES. Ugh. It shrinks them, yet it clogs them. And it's a big headache to deal with. And it's weird how it makes my pores clog up FAST (like an hour) after using this. So far, I have been able to manage the problem spot treating the pore before it gets totally clogged with a dab of Paula's 2% BHA, and a small dab of Benzoyl Peroxide. I hope that keeps the pore clogging at bay. I hope the pore clogging dissipates as my skin gets more used to the product.

The other issue I have is the booster will also cause irritation around the dry areas of my face (under my eyes, around the outer corners of my eyes). Sometimes the irritation causes my skin to peel a little. Moisturizer on those spots usually takes care of it, but it's annoying.

Is it the booster causing the negatives--or is it the booster's reaction to the other products I also use causing the negatives? I don't know right now. I've yet to run that "test".

But I love my oil free face from this product way too much to abandon the product for a few lousy clogged pores or a dry patch here or there. I AM buying more of it. I'll use it forever if I have to. If I can. It's pretty incredible stuff. But I took one lippie off just because there IS a downside to this product. I hope you all can effectively manage the downside well enough that it works for you. Order a SAMPLE of this before you take the plunge, though.