Clinique Happy

3.3

on 12/22/2012 3:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I tried this when it first came out (had a sample) and loved the fresh smell of citrus (mandarin, oranges, red grapefruit) but never committed to getting the full size. It's the only citrus-smelling fragrance I've ever enjoyed. I love how it smells (truly happy and fresh!) but I also find it lacks a bit of depth and sillage. Great as a daytime perfume I guess but I just wouldn't buy it because I don't think it would last.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

I vaguely remember sniffing 'Happy' a long time ago and really disliking it. Although I'm a fan of florals (I love burberry weekend, gucci flora, wore RL Romance as a signature for quite awhile...etc...), I tend to shy away from citrus, especially grapefruit. I chalked it up as the strong citrus in this that ruined it for me and never tried it again.
Well, I just recently bought one of those perfume samplers from Sephora (the one with the voucher for a full size of any one of the samples...love the set btw) and Clinique Happy was in it. Remembering my dislike for it I still wearily decided to try it out anyhow since I wanted to give every sample in there a fair shot...
Oof. The citrus/floral combination of this stings my nose. I get a strong (VERY STRONG) white floral and an intense sharpness (to the point of being uncomfortable) and that's pretty much it. Instantly I feel the shadowy threat of a headache which is saying something as I am not particularly sensitive to fragrance...although IMO there is nothing like a pungent white floral to induce a headache. Now I do have to mention here that I happen to own and enjoy Jessica McClintock, which is absolutely a white floral so it's not that I can't appreciate this type of scent at all...just not in the form of Clinique Happy.
What I enjoy about florals: the drydown on my skin which always leaves a faint, delicate sweetness that melts into my skin perfectly...like a second (and wonderfully fragranced) skin I guess. The drydown on this took too long to come. It did eventually fade into that familiar sweetness I associate with florals but even in that state it was not as nice as others I've tried. If I'm looking for a nice, bright, white floral to wear I'll stick to Jessica McClintock.
All this being said, the lasting power on this is rather impressive. I made the mistake of accidentally spraying some of this on my shirt and so it has stayed in that headache inducing state. The entire day I would get whiffs of it and then the accompanied hint of a headache. Spray on your skin, NOT on your clothes. Do that for the sake of the people around you. When worn on clothes this seems to project like no other and it is incredibly strong and while you might think it's lovely, I can assure you that not everyone will appreciate it.
Giving this 3 stars instead of 2 because the drydown is nice and this does have really nice lasting power.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I didn't test this perfume before buying it. It's my fault really.. This used to be my mom's fave perfume and it smelled so good on her so I thought it would smell great on me... I was so wrong. It doesn't smell happy at all.. It's "angry" on me. I actually get headaches when I wear this. It smells good on everyone else, I think.

on 8/7/2011 6:08:00 AM

I originally had Happy In Bloom, the spring time limited edition perfume of Clinique. By accident, my mom toppled the bottle over and it fell (from a considerably high place) and it broke (it was only weeks old then). I was so upset that she bought me Happy instead because by that time, Happy In Bloom was already gone.

Happy did not disappoint me, though! My friends, family & other people compliment me on my scent. :) I loved it too. When I finished the bottle after 6 months, I was thinking of purchasing a new perfume NOT because I didn't like Happy anymore but just for a change (because I'm like that). I couldn't find a perfume that could beat it! I was considering to buy Happy Heart, but in the end Happy still won me over.

The scent stays for a long time on my wrists, neck & clothes. When I sleep I can still smell it! It's a flowery and citrus-y scent that's really lovable. It's light, fresh, clean, and it's just the right perfume for those who love perfumes like that.

Just don't overdo the spraying so you can maximize your money and the perfume. First timers will fall in love. :)

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I love this scent. Yes, it smells synthetic (but what perfume doesn't, really? Unless it's made from natural oils, they're ALL TOXIC!), but oh, so sweet! I've actually seen boys swoon to this scent!

A word of caution: apply the smallest amount on your pulses, because this scent is VERY strong and can induce migraine headaches if just carelessly spritzed on.

With perfumes, less is more. ;)

on 4/25/2010 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I like this scent. It's very feminine and can be used daily (in moderation, of course). It's flowery but it's not overpowering. Very simple and lasts awhile before fading..definitely reminds me of springtime.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

this has a nice floral scent to it. Very soft and pretty nice, but after wearing it all day the smell seemed to get a bit to strong for my senses. Its not bad since yes the smell can last all day but I just didn't like how it changed smells on me. Overall a nice fragrance and probably a classic!

on 7/9/2009 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Overall Rating 4
Price 4
Packaging Quality 4
Would you buy this product again? Yes

One of my go-to perfumes. I only wear perfumes which I don't smell but only others can smell. Meaning, if the scent is bothering me all day is that it's too strong for me. I am very sensitive to smells and it can make me nautious. I love Clinique happy, I have the cream version as well. I love the name and the smell, It's fruity and not too overwhelming which is great for summer time. .

on 6/6/2009 4:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This is a fun scent to wear and, yes, it does make me feel happy. I don't feel it's overpowering. It's young, fresh, citrsy and just fun to wear.

on 11/11/2008 4:02:00 AM

I have a faint, almost nonexistent, memory of loving this scent when I got my bottle of it, but after a year of being kept, the smell changed. And it changed for the worse! I have a 5ml sampler which is older than my big bottle and it smells even more horrible. Ack! Wouldn't buy again, knowing its poor shelf life. Couldn't understand how it got to be like that when my Happy Heart, bought at the same time, still smells wonderful, just like how it was when I first opened it.

Popular Fragrances