CLINIQUE Happy

CLINIQUE Happy
Happy

3.2

on 9/6/2005 10:37:00 PM

I tried this years ago from a tester and seem to recall I did not like it. I was more recently given a sample and was amazed at what a beautiful summer fragrance this is. Clean, uncomplicated, well it just makes you feel 'happy'. My 16 year old daughter snagged my sample and loves it too. It is similar to Hugo Boss 'Woman'. The body lotion is also delicious

on 10/6/2005 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

If you read my other fragrance reviews, you see I'm always disappointed in every new scent I try. Think this is the exception, 'though. Clean, citrusy (but not overwhelming) and soapy. My sister-in-law wears it and always smells yummy so I gave it a try. This one's a keeper. I know it's an oldie and some are sick of it but - hey - I'm always the last on the bandwagon. It's a light and feminine scent.

UPDATE - One day later: Uh, fuggetaboutit. Dry down morphs into cheap drugstore type scent. Musty, peppery, something I can't quite describe. Uh-uh, this one goes back too. I give up. Will stick to my HG Banana Republic and be done with the eternal quest.

Eyes: Violet

Boy, does this scent get old in a hurry.

The first time I smelled it, I loved it. Seemed fresh and citrus-blossom floral with several young, fun notes. Purchased it for myself.

By the third day of wearing it, I was so sick of it. The problem with this scent is it cloyyyyyyyyys. The note of jasmine (or cheap citrus blossom - hard to tell) sticks out above all others and just. won't. leave. All the other notes fade into the background, but the jasmine sticks around and around and around and before you know it you and everyone around you has a headache.

You could reapply to get the full range of notes back, but then you'll have made it infinitely worse, as a HEAVY application of Happy makes you sick of every single note in the perfume.

Will never repurchase in a million, billion years.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Happy is a beautiful fragrance that I really like, but I won't buy it again because, well, it goes bad...........quickly. I am very careful how I store my fragrance; I don't leave it out on a dresser or anywhere else where it can be exposed to light (which, as most fragrance fans know, causes the components to break down). Instead, I have a chest just for my fragrance bottles that keeps them cool and dark. For some reason, however, Happy breaks down anyway, and it doesn't take it long to do so, either. I had only had my bottle for roughly 1 1/2 years when I noticed that the smell had changed, and not for the better. It had what I can only describe as a "dirty" smell. Thinking that it might dissipate once I put it on, I tried wearing it, but it only got worse. Nor was my bottle a freak accident, because my daughter had a bottle of it as well that did the same thing. Because if this I won't buy Happy again, which is a shame, since I really like the way it smells............at least until it starts to go bad!

on 12/18/2012 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I bought the roller ball I just don't like the dry down. I am 48 and it smells like something a younger perkier person would wear (if that makes any sense)...I honestly haven't had the time to take it back.I live in the Styx and Ulta is very far. I read somebody's review saying it smelled like a bathroom cleaning product. My solution was to buy an atomizer from Nordstrom and will fill it with my own fragrance. Just never had must luck with EL empire fragrance products. Do try it but wait for the dry down give it time.

What a refreshing treat! I don't know if Happy changed, or I did. I used to HATE this fragrance, and even gave it a 1-lippie review on MUA a few years back as I found it to be sour, high-pitched, and annoying. But I got yet another of those 0.14 oz sample sprays in my recent Clinique bonus and gave it another go. I LOVE HAPPY NOW!

Yes, it is very sharp and soapy when you first apply. But it dries down quickly to a delightfully fresh citrus-floral. I detect primarily tangerine/satsuma + fresh-cut jasmine & gardenia. There is not a hint of heaviness or sweetness to this. It came out 3 years after Estee Lauder Pleasures and reflects the same hyperclean spirit. Just makes you feel uplifted and smelling like you showered with a wonderful boutique soap. My little sample bottle has come in very handy when I've had to work a double shift at the hospital without time for a shower.

Maybe the difference is that Happy is officially 20 years old now and qualifies as a true classic, not just a '90s trend that played out. As for it not being "sexy," well, I love those sexy thick Oriental and woodsy fragrances but my spouse does not. He thinks I'm sexiest when I smell clean and fresh! So sexy is in the nose of the beholder I guess.