Clinique Happy

Filtered by age: 44-55
Clinique Happy
Happy

3.0

Happy makes me Angry every time I smell it on someone. It's relentlessly banal, yet eye-wateringly sharp. It sits there in its smug little minimalist flask just ready to pounce on your sinuses with the strength of 50,000 artificial tangerines smothered in soap.

Look, I'm all for smelling "modern" and "clean" if that's your thing. I know soapy-clean smells with a citrus or tropical-fruit tinge have been very popular for nearly 20 years. They're everywhere, from BBW to Chanel. Happy was among the first, and I'll give credit where credit is due. It's also very strong, with tremendous staying power-- in most cases that's a plus.

But to my nose, Happy is horrendous. I can't be around someone wearing it without wanting to scream, "FINE!!!! I GET IT! YOU TOOK A SHOWER RECENTLY!!!" I certainly don't feel like smiling or breaking out into a tapdance. In fact, I want to beat someone up and make it stop.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I think I was literally one of the first people to ever try Happy when it first came out all those years ago. I bought several bottles in my early to mid twenties, and then kind of grew tired of the scent...Fast forward many years later: last Summer, a lady walked past me and I was 99.9999999% sure she was wearing Clinique Happy (it is just a scent you remember and instantly recognize, at least for me) , and I decided to try it again. Obviously, the scent is all the same as I remember it...Very citrus-smelling, a great daytime and Spring or Summer scent, or possibly even a casual Summer evening. A light-hearted, 'happy' scent. Great to lift a mood. Obviously not a scent I reach for when the mood will be 'more serious,' I like a deeper scent for those 'more serious' moments and days. This also is I think best for younger gals, which I suppose is why I wore it in my early to mid twenties before tiring of it at the time. Although I think this is just a light scent that could be nice for any age, just a 'happy' scent! :) Dry down for me is the same as when first applied and I get a good 12 or more hours of wear out of this. Definitely lasts all day. But due to the strong citrus scent and some of the notes, this may not be great for the workplace or tight or close quartered areas, as I think some of the notes may trigger allergic responses. But for a day of shopping, coffee with girlfriends, attending an outdoor wedding, or a festival, etc; I think this is great for those types of places. It really does make me 'happy' when I wear this! :)

on 6/9/2016 10:23:00 AM

Happy by Clinique ... I had a massive crush on Happy a few years back .
It's like 7 Up soda ...all fizzy and hyeractive .
Sometimes it would turn into a harsh , fake chemical smell .
In the end, my Mum's dog enjoyed it the most.... 'post bath .'

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I really like citrus scents. Clinique Happy is a very fake smelling citrus. The drydown is soft adn sweetly citrus but is does not smell natural at all. A very long lasting scent.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Clinique Happy is a citrusy, easy, breezy, fragrance. I wear this fragrance on occasion, but have never purchased a bottle because I usually receive this in a GWP.

The first spritz, is a blast of citrus. Drydown is a citrus (smell orange and apple) with a light touch of musk, and a hint of florals in the background.

Last year noticed a baby doll head smell during middle notes and drydown, but it's a mild baby doll scent. I don't always smell it, but am chalking it up to hormonal changes .I am at that age. However, still enjoy wearing Happy because it's a light, fresh, "happy" fragrance. It is a sunshiny day in a bottle.

This is one of my most hated fragrances. I've never owned it, but I had several friends who used to love it and wear it frequently. I never understood the appeal. Not only did it give me a migraine headache, it smelled exactly like some sort of Raid bug killer. So, if smelling like bug killer is your thing, save yourself a few bucks and just buy Raid instead. Of course, I hope no one is so misguided as to actually do that...!

on 12/18/2012 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I bought the roller ball I just don't like the dry down. I am 48 and it smells like something a younger perkier person would wear (if that makes any sense)...I honestly haven't had the time to take it back.I live in the Styx and Ulta is very far. I read somebody's review saying it smelled like a bathroom cleaning product. My solution was to buy an atomizer from Nordstrom and will fill it with my own fragrance. Just never had must luck with EL empire fragrance products. Do try it but wait for the dry down give it time.

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

I love Happy (and Happy Heart, but that's another review)

I'm very surprised at the bad reviews. This is just a basic, fresh and classic scent. I think it smells "just showered" clean. I don't think that people will walk into a room with someone wearing Happy and think "who has perfume on?" It doesn't assault you like some heavier fragrances. My favorite everyday frag is CK One (and all of its offspring) and to me this falls in the same category. When I want something sophisticated and heavier I get out my Chanel Chance or Coco Mademoiselle. Happy is perfect for summer. Purchased and will repurchase. :)

on 1/1/2012 10:14:00 AM

I have worn Happy on and off (I am never faithful to a scent - love too many for that!) since it came out! I can recall the very first time I smelled it on someone. It was in the grocery store and I didn't care how silly I looked...I pushed my cart around that store until I located the source of the goodness floating upon the air. The woman wearing it was very gracious and told me what it was. A NEW perfume. I finished my food shopping and headed OUT TO THE MALL. I sprayed it on - felt like it did NOT smell on me as it did on her, however, received compliments on my perfume. On her it was a sweet (in a flower nectar gorgeous addicting way) scent. I could not have picked out citrus or anything in particular. Just a goodness and a femininity that every lady would want in her perfume. Quite memorable as I am writing about it all these years later. I found that whenever I asked someone what they were wearing (when I liked a scent) it turned out to be "Happy". Some might find that "too common" or, "not unique enough", "too recognizable". HMMMM....if something is good...the word will spread. (What about the IPhone and IPad? good, right? Many own them. They are good. Many owning them does not make them a bad thing, yes?) If something is not so good you will hear about it for a while and then it disappears. This perfume has been around for a long time for a reason. I would say that when it first came out, many were wearing it at the same time but, not all wore it well. This (in my humble opinion) created such a vast degree of a LOVE or HATE for this scent. Either you loved it for all the compliments you received or, you hated it because everyone had a bottle and/or someone that you encountered was spraying it on as if it were a light body spray. This is a Perfume (Contains a HIGH concentration of oils/scent)...not an EDT, Cologne or Body Spray (Which contains a lower concentration of scent). It is a true Perfume. With a Perfume - you MUST be careful of how much you apply. I am guilty of over-applying this scent through the years and I think that is why I did not get that feeling of bright, happiness and sweet nectar when I wore it. Now when I wear this I spritz 3 times over my head and let it fall onto me. When I do this I apply just the right amount and I still receive compliments as I walk past my husband late in the day. This tells me that 3 spritzes directly on the body is TOO much. What a wonderful thing to be able to buy an affordable scent in PERFUME strength! I think it is fabulous! Normally, when you buy a scent in Perfume strength you get so very little that you would never dream of spritzing it into the air! What an affordable, luxurious treat to be able to spritz in the air and have so much to spare for the next time. Even if I did not use up my bottle before it got "old", I would have received my money's worth out of this as I do NOT need to carry it with me or reapply. PLUS, the bedroom where I sprayed this in the morning still smells lovely that evening. Never would I like the strength of this scent changed. I hate NEEDING to reapply. I don't mind reapplying if I WANT to but NEEDING to reapply after spending so much on some of my more expensive perfumes really peeves me off. Clinique Happy, when worn correctly, is a lovely scent and the men in my family love it as does my daughter. I do prefer the Perfume spray over the creams in this scent - as I do like the way that light spritz in the air falling upon my body wears throughout the day versus applied directly to my body (as you would with cream). I miss terribly the shampoo and conditioner that was out very briefly and wish that they would make an antiperspirant/deodorant for woman like they do for the men. I love so many perfumes but if I need something that wears well and long and is so universally loved (when worn correctly and not overspritzed) - this is the one I reach for.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Received as GWP. I have tried this several times and have ended up with a horrendous headache every time! Sorry but this does not make me HAPPY!

Popular Fragrances