NIVEA Sun Protect Plus UV Milky Essence Sunscreen SPF50+ PA++++

NIVEA Sun Protect Plus UV Milky Essence Sunscreen SPF50+ PA++++

4.5

Water, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, ethanol, zinc oxide, isotridecyl isononanoate, dimethicone, bisethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, neopentyl glycol dicaprate, methyl methacrylate crosspolymer, hexyl diethylaminohydroxybenzoylbenzoate, ethylhexyl triazone, BG , Hydrous silica, (C13, 14) isoparaffin, methicone, hydrolyzed alkyl hyaluronate (C12-13) glyceryl, bark extract, polyglyceryl-2 diisostearate, hydrogenated castor oil of polyisostearic acid, polyhydroxystearic acid, polyacrylamide , Xanthan gum, laureth-7, tocopherol acetate, BHT, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'll start by saying this sunscreen is only meant for light outdoor use, so if you're going to be out in direct sunlight for more than thirty minutes or so, I'd try something else. Apparently this can be used as a make-up base, but I'm not sure how well it works since I don't apply these types of sunscreens to my face (I use a lighter spray type).

I use this if I'm going to walk to the store or just be outside for a little bit. I apply it on any parts of my body that are going to be exposed to the sun about twenty minutes before I head out, and reapply it every couple hours, as I do with any sunscreen as long as I'm outside. It is a bit more watery than I like, but it goes on nicely and dries pretty quick without leaving any greasy residue behind. It's also fragrance free. I haven't experienced any negative effects.

Overall, I think this is quite nice and would buy it again. It's worth trying if you need a light everyday sunscreen.

on 4/20/2018 3:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this product for quite some time now. I'm a fan of Japanese products, especially sunscreen. This is an everyday sunscreen, not an outdoor sunscreen so for those who want to use this sunscreen for outdoor use, you WILL get a tan. it is not meant for outdoor exposure. anyway, the texture is very smooth and gel cream like. it spreads evenly on my face and doesn't leave a white cast. The bottle is a tube format so it is hygienic. I didn't notice much smell to it which is good. It didn't break me out either and didn't cause any reaction on my face. The only thing I noticed was that it does make my makeup pill. I guess it's because my makeup ingredients don't go well with the sunscreen ingredients so it's not the sunscreens fault. If you don't wear makeup then this will do well. If you do, it may or may not pill even after waiting for it to absorb. I also note that if I blend it in my face more, it doesn't seem to pill as much but it does a bit when I apply under eye concealer. I use a powder brush to brush away the pilling. The sunscreen itself is not drying on my face nor does it make my face oily or greasy. I love that it has ++++ to prevent UVA as most Western sunscreens don't have that. Overall this is a pretty good sunscreen. however will not re-purchase as Japan always has new products coming out that it's hard to stick to one so on to the next one!

I had tried the Biore Aqua Rich Watery Gel sunscreen, but there was something about the texture I was not a big fan of - while it was nice and light, it just felt weird to me, and because I simply didn't like it I couldn't get into the habit of daily sunscreen like I knew I should. I'm also nearly thirty and finding my skin usually needs a bit of extra moisture these days, which a gel can't really offer.

I would recommend the Nivea UV Milky Essence to others who find themselves in that camp. Don't get me wrong - it's not crazy moisturizing. Since I apply sunscreen not long before putting on my makeup, I don't want something oily that's going to make my makeup slide all over the place, or make my skin fantastically shiny all morning. This sunscreen is definitely not oily but provides a nice lightly moisturizing base before I put on my makeup. Finally I'm in the habit of wearing sunscreen every day.

ETA: I recently went on a 10 day trip to South America where I was very active outside in the hot sun virtually all day, every day. I applied this sunscreen once every morning (I know it's bad not to reapply, but that's the truth). My face is the least tan part of my body that was exposed. My forearms for example, on which I applied an Aveeno SPF 50 at least twice a day, are very tan. But on my face where I used the Nivea, the freckles came out a bit, maybe a slight tan, but otherwise there is very little change. If I had applied more frequently I have no doubt the skin on my face would have no change whatsoever.

Full disclosure: I also wore a baseball hat and sunglasses most days which would offer some protection, but I still think this is fairly impressive. Just wanted to add this since I really put the sunscreen's effectiveness to the test and was honestly surprised at how well it still worked.

on 7/1/2017 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This is another fantastic suncreen by Nivea. This has a tenacious formula, no white caste on my NC 15 skin, and is somewhat moisturizing. Definitely a go to for me. It feels a little thick when it goes on (much thicker than say the Biore watery gel) but once it dries feels comfortable and weightless, and somehow it makes me feel more protected than a super light, watery formula would.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

No sunburns! This stuff is awesome. Tencious, doesn't easily rub off and really does work well in humid and wet situations. I wore it while on a vacation where I did a lot of swimming. It worked well. Family members used this too and no faces were burned!

I'm pale and notice no white cast with this. Upon application, I notice a slight alcohol smell, but it dissipates. No real scent to it. It's not greasy at all, sinks in well. It does leave my skin a little shiny, but it's not a greasy shine.

I like that's it's a blend of several sunscreen ingredients, both chemical and physical. One of the best I've used. I've already purchased two more tubes.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I love this sunscreen, and this is the first Asian SS out of the 10 or so I've tried that I've truly *loved*, even though there have been a few others I've really liked as well (Sunkiller Perfect Water Essence comes in a close 2nd for other reasons). I've been using it for almost 3 months now and just finished a tube, and I already have 2 more backups. This is probably my HG now for an extremely wearable, everyday sunscreen. I really can't see myself deviating from using this SS, although I will inevitably try more, but as long as they make this I'm probably going to be using it.

I had originally found out about this SS, as I basically do with all Asian sunscreens, from Ratzillacosme's blog. She had rated it on her top SS list for 2016, and her description of it being a cross between an essence and a milk really intrigued me. Even for everyday wear an essence just feels a bit too light for me, and a milk feels like a bit too much, so this sounded just right. The last few Asian SS I tried were alcohol free, and while I liked them, I knew I needed something more tenacious for everyday wear in the summer. My skin is pretty prone to dehydration so I had been wary of trying something else with alcohol, but I'm so glad I gave this one a shot. This doesn't smell like alcohol at all and doesn't dry my skin out at all. It doesn't impart any moisture either (I love the Sunkiller for moisture purposes). It just sits beautifully and imperceptibly on the skin. It comes out white and when you apply to your face it has a white cast for about a minute but once it sets it's basically invisible on my skin (I'm an NC25 in Mac terms). I probably use a bit more than the suggested 1/4 tsp on my face and still don't get a white cast, and will also re-apply throughout the day if I need to and it layers wonderfully. I'd say it dries down to a natural, demi-matte finish. It makes a great base for makeup. The best thing is it's pretty tenacious and I havn't gotten any colour this summer while wearing it. Honestly, when a sunscreen is this cosmetically elegant there's really no excuse not to wear SS daily (although most Asian SS puts Euro and other Western SS to shame in terms of wearability). It's also very inexpensive on Amazon where I purchase, I'm sure it's also cheap on Ebay. Would highly recommend this SS to almost anyone.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is my first Japanese sunscreen and I really love it. It doesn't have a strong scent and it doesn't sting my eyes. I have dry skin and I am able to wear it without moisturizer underneath and it's not drying (it's summer now; this may change in the winter). I let it set for about 15 min and it dries to a satin finish with no white cast on my fair skin. Once it's set, it doesn't feel like anything, and I can easily use a little cc cream over it. I am definitely repurchasing!

on 6/17/2016 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This is a Feb 2016 offering from Nivea Japan.... availability is low...I have only found one supplier on Ebay, but I'm sure if I wanted to repeat order I could contact other sellers....possibly. 1 lippy off.

On Ratzilla it was described as the love child of Biore Aqua watery essence & Nivea Creamy UV. I couldn't resist.

Pros:
1/2tsp for face & neck
Low alcohol
Low fragrance
No irritation (so far)
No greasy shine actually satin matte finish
5 min dry down
Once dry no SS feel
Works under powder make-up
No piling under liquid make up
Sweat and Sebum resistant (so can rush around and not worry your SS is breaking down).
Removes with an oil based cleasner easily.

Cons:
Slight white cast on my dark skin.( Anyone with a light tan, this will disappear. And if your fair skinned then this might be HG worthy.) 1 lippy off.

It contains Zinc Oxide so I really should have heeded the ingredients warning....in my defence the list looked sooo lovely to me. That I thought I'd chance it.

I will not repurchase, and I can use with compulsory makeup application, but I will finish it as today on a whim, I mixed 2 drops of Clinique's Even Better foundation (it is too dark for me) with 1/8 of Nivea SS (I had already applied the full amount of another SS 1 hr before). I applied with my fingers and...the SS took down the shine off Even Better and the SS underneath. Even Better took off the slight white cast and slightly blurred my imperfections. I will have to trial this a little longer to make sure no adverse reactions blah blah. But I liked it, a lot....2 duds separately but together..mmmm mmmm.