Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Anastasia Of Beverly Hills  Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.6

on 8/9/2016 6:58:00 AM

I'm not being paid to review for these brands so I'm not going to sugar coat it. I will warn you that there is a lot of hype about this palette that is borderline *over sensationalised*, aka similar to the peach palette by Too Faced. All I'll say is before you run out and buy this know the facts and what you're actually buying before you dish out the cashola,

For me it's a real love hate relationship with this palette.

First off the bat: The colours are beautiful and romantic. The soft reds and buttery browns are dreamy and look sensational. Also the blendability of the colours is fantastic.

However........

The biggest con of them all: a lot of these shadows contain CARMINE. Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a Vegan cosmetic company, so watch out! Now I didn't know this before I purchased the palette (which I'm annoyed because I only buy Vegan brands with cruelty free practices. I assumed this company was, but I was wrong). After using this palette for a week I found out the hard way that it was not a Vegan product. Yes the colours are lovely and the powder is so very finely milled...but the eye shadows dried and irritated my eyelids *that badly* that I was left with scaly, dry, irritated lids after a week of using these shades every day. I use Urban Decay, Too Faced, even cheapo Makeup Revolution and have never had a reaction like this palette has given me. Hello red, itchy dermititis eyelid hell. No more eye shadows for me at the moment. Some of the shadows do have carmine in them, and that's a well known eye irritant (so yeah sure why not chuck that in an eye shadow *rolls eyes*). Anyway heads up to the sensitive peeps and the Vegan peeps out there.

Also the fallout is something shocking. Even stroking the brush on the shadows causes an avalanche of powder to spill everywhere. You have been warned.

The packaging is like Urban Decay's Naked palette, that velvet case thing. Honestly I would like a tin, I mean I paid enough for a tin at the very least? Surely? And don't get me started with the cheapest nastiest brush that ever existed that is included with this palette. At least Urban Decay have nice brushes. The one in the Modern Renaissance is actually insulting. Sometimes it's better to not include something if its the same quality as a synthetic paint brush from the dollar store. Just sayin....

The colours may be nice but considering the horrible carmine irritation and fallout and the fact that Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a animal cruelty free company, I can't recommend this, Or say it's great. Just no.

Le sigh.

on 6/9/2017 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I waited many months for this palette to be restocked at Sephora and was thrilled when it finally was! I previously bought the Mario palette by ABH and fell in love with their formula! Upon first use of Modern Renaissance I was disappointed. I usually have no problem if eye shadows have some kickback because those are usually the most pigmented shadows. However, this palette has kickback like no tomorrow. I feel like I'm wasting so much product whenever I dip my brush in because soooooo much of the product falls out. In the four months I have owned this palette I think I have only used it two or three times. I am also a huge fan of warm toned eye shadows but these just don't do it for me. The organgey shades turn up very similar on the eyes (which are the everyday colours) and I'm too scared to dip into the deeper colours because of the amount of fall out they produce! Not down to have bright red/pink shadow all over my cheeks!

I also HATE the packaging. This has to be one of the worst packaging for cosmetics I have ever seen (and I am a huge fan of anythink pink). But the velvet texture on the outside of the palette picks up EVERYTHING and will not come off. This is especially problematic since there is so much kickback in the eye shadows and it all just stick to the outside of the palette making it look really dirty and gross.

I seriously do not understand why this palette is so overrated. I may have enjoyed it more if I did not go in with such high expectations. It is an okay palette that I will use a few times a year, but no where near a holy grail product that is in constant use.

Unfortunately the Mario palette (my fav) is no longer available, but my current favourite palette that is in stock is the Tartelette In Bloom palette by tarte, it's the perfect palette from day to night!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

The formula of this is like everyone says it is, very soft and has a lot of kickback which means if your too hard on it a lot of powder is gonna go to waste and you'll go through it a lot faster.
Use a flat brush or a more dense brush to pick up the color though and of course be gentle and there's almost zero fallout. Use a fluffy brush or a crease brush and you'll get quite a bit.

The brush included is decent, the fluffy or blending side is a little scratchy but it's okay, the other side though is fantastic. I absolutely love it and I'm really glad I got this palette not just for the shades but because I don't have to spend money on a flat (but not too flat) eyeshadow brush.

The colors are very easy to blend, and pigmented enough that they don't become one color if you blend a lot although I could see that eventually happening.

Also very very pigmented. You do not need much and it is nice for darker skinned women in that sense I would imagine. ABH always looks out for everyone it seems that's why I love them, along with knowing I'm not using a product tested on animals (I don't solely buy cruelty free but I try to. Might as well show companies we do care about this stuff right.)

The Venetian red and love letter are super pretty, they're berry brown tones but leaning way more towards the berry side. Looks pretty good actually even though I don't really like those colors in shadows although I do have to add other colors so it doesn't look off to me (I tend to gravitate towards cooler taupes and browns anyway, even orangey shadows I'm iffy about). Speaking of orange shadows, the ones in here are the only ones that actually look nice on me for once. So that's a huge plus.

Continuing on about the actual colors of the shadows, I believe the top row leans more cool ish (or at least not as warm) and the bottom is more warm. You can definitely tell by looking at the shimmer colors as the bottom one is more golden. The top shimmer color I absolutely adore, perfect inner highlight shade and I never used to use inner highlight shades. The brush may help as the flat side is perfect to add that.

And despite any differences in undertones they still look good together. Super easy to throw together a look with this palette and easy to add more colors as well which is a huge plus to me as I've never had that with my other palettes.

I usually wear this with the essence primer and it lasts pretty well, a tiny bit of fading after a few hours but nothing major that doesn't happen with other shadows I've tried at similiar price points.

on 4/12/2017 5:01:00 PM

I love the quality of the shadows, very buttery and pigmented! It's a versatile palette, I can do daytime neutral and evening dramatic looks with it no problem, the shadows practically blend themselves!

The only downsides are the packaging tends to get grubby real quick and the pans are pretty small.. I have hit pan on 3 shades already (rare for me) and I don't use this everyday, I have only had the palette for a little over a month.. Surprised at how little is in each pan compared to naked palettes etc..

on 3/9/2017 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a truly beautiful palette, and all the hype about it is justified!

The shadows are gorgeous and inspired by colors found in Victorian-era paintings. The name and soft velvet case add to the allure and I find this palette to be "enchanting" if that makes sense. Let's be honest, when something comes in pretty packaging, it's that much more exciting to use!

The colors are unique and very warm. There are reds, burnt pinks and oranges, umbers, taupe, and gold. All the colors compliment each other in some way and while not all are wearable in a work setting, they'd be great for going out. I can't wait to wear the warm orange and red tones in the summer.

The consistency is smooth but powdery, so there is a lot of fallout as others have mentioned. Because the colors are so pigmented, I don't feel the need to do much more than dab these with a brush anyhow, so I have pretty minimal issues it. Still, I had to give the overall score a 4/5 for this reason.

I'm happy with this purchase overall and would recommend getting it if you've been considering it.

on 3/8/2017 2:27:00 PM

I ordered this as soon as it was released last summer. The colors, the names of the shades and the palette itself, I just had to have it. I think my problem is I feel like I need to be the 1st one to have things and just have to add things to my collection, even if I'm not necessarily going to use them often. Maybe one day i'll learn. Anyways, regardless of the fact I don't use this that often, it is beautiful and I do love it. I don't go out a lot and I wear glasses, so I think I shy away from experimental makeup for this reason. My favorite shades, the only ones I've really used are vermeer, warm taupe and buon fresco. I loveeee warm taupe in the crease and vermeer on the lid. Beautiful. I was surprised I didn't have anything like vermeer in my collection. I got scared to use it, though, because I didn't want to run out but found a dupe in morphe pressed pigment- champagne nights. My usual everyday look is a shimmery cream on the brow bone, nude on the lid and a light brown on the crease. I switched it up and used buon fresco one day instead of brown and loved it, it's so subtle but just beautiful, esp since I have green eyes. Red ochre, venetian red and love letter are all gorgeous and I need to really try and use these. I'm thinking love letter will be even better in the summer with a tan and venetian red maybe under the eye smoked out with a neutral lid will look cool. Goloden ochre is so strange, but in a good way. Another one I need to really try. The colors are all very on trend, the warm browns and oranges and reds/pinks mixed with some more basic neutrals. Shades are nice, creamy, easy to work with and blend. I'm hoping that once I finally get contacts i'll be more willing to create cool eye looks (i've seen so many beautiful ones with this palette) but for now with glasses I just feel like you can't really tell or it makes my eyes look smaller. Overall I am glad I have this palette and think I would repurchase if I ever ran out. Also, I love the color of the palette. I know some people say the material bothers them but I've kept the box and always put it back in once i'm done with the palette. I think this would be a nice starter palette for someone, too. Loads of neutrals in a good formula, 14 shades, with some pops of colors and current trend shades. I think worth $42.

on 6/27/2016 12:32:00 PM

I wanted this pallet the minute I saw it. I was attracted like a moth to the flame. I have been disappointed with other brands releases for summer and fall so I felt justified in purchasing this.

The FORMULATION of the eyeshadows found in the Modern Renaissance pallet is beautiful. The shadows are soft and creamy texture wise, reminding me of the formulation of Lorac, Makeup Forever or Natasha Denona. Modern Renaissance is the first eye shadow pallet I have purchased from ABH; therefore, I can't really compare the quality of the shadows to previous brand releases. The eyeshadows apply, blend so easily and look fresh after a full day of wear and they are true to pan on the lids.

Usually I write a pro's and con's but with this palette I really don't have enough to complain about. The worst crime ABH has committed in creating this pallet is with the packaging. In my opinion, the PACKAGING doesn't really fit the theme "modern renaissance" and I think they could have done a lot more. Also, to state the obvious, the fuzz is a dirt attractor. I depotted the Naked 1 for this reason and then rarely used it after. I also dislike the brush. In one sense it feels cheep and then in another it feels like a step up. Either way it feels drugstore synthetic and I prefer the animal hairs in general for eyeshadow.

The SHADE RANGE is quite beautiful and was love at first site. Individually, similar shades can be found in other pallets but to have them all together in such a shade range is what really makes this pallet unique. I can get a diversity of more natural shades but also a diversity of vibrant looks and even over the top looks.

Obvious DUPE is Lime Crime's Venus pallet. ABH's formula is far superior and the shadows are more finely milled and creamier; however, if you prefer a dryer shadow formulation then check out Venus. None of the shadows are exact shades dupes but close variations of every shadow in the Venus, except for Shell, can be found in Modern Renaissance. Modern Renaissance offers more diversity in shades and thus can range from a more wearable to an over the top look.

If your looking through all of these reviews trying to decide if this is a need, I say take the dive. This pallet is very different. I am enabling you to do it!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

There's a lot I love about this palette. The shade range, names, softness, pigment, and the Renaissance theme. It's a beautiful palette for fall, but to me the shades are not what I'd wear for summer. What I don't like is the price increase, the fact that this is listed as only good for six months (yes, just six months), the amount you get total seems like a rip off, and the kick up of fallout. If you use the brush it comes with you're going to hit pan in no time and waste a lot of shadow. What you want to do is go in with a flat brush or an extremely soft blending brush, and barely tap each shadow to get the pigment on it.

Simply Amazing quality! The slightest dip in the pan can paint your entire eyelid, and SO blendable as well!! I can blend these shadows in around 5 mins, which helps a LOT when you're getting ready for work. The only fault is that I dislike the two pink shadows (love letter and Venetian red). I simply dislike their shades. And there's only one shadow that really gives dimension to the look (deep matte brown). But I'm not about to give it less than 5* because the overall quality is above everything else on the market. That's right - there's this palette and everything else as far as eyemakeup falls under second category.

People who critique the packaging tend to forget they get an awesome double-ended brush in the palette. This brush should account for the packaging and not the velvety cover!

Buy this if you don't mind the reds, and if you do mind them (like me) simply get some single eyeshadows that have depth (deep browns, purples, dark duochromes etc..). But buy Modern Reneissance anyway :)

on 10/9/2017 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Lovely palette! Very universal you can get very natural looks to bold smokey eyes or colourful looks with just using this. I like to have my own matte creme shade as tempera has a bit of a sheen and I prefer my browbone matte. But I can use tempera I just prefer a matte when I have one with me.

ALL shades are pigmented and blend like a dream. Over a primer they stay on vibrant untill I remove them (the best primer for the longest staying power is the bareminerals primetime eyeshadow primer - I dont get it how I never hear anyone raving about it????? 100% recomnend!)

The brush is ok. I feel like the fluffy side does kick up more powder in the pan. I always use my own fluffy brushes (zoeva) and dont notice to much kickup in the pan but I always dip in very gentle and never swirl the brush.

As the velvet case gets dirty I store it in the box it came with.

Highly recommend. I got a backup just in case they ever stop selling this or change formula. It is that good.

Sorry englisch is not my first language ;)