Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

on 2/10/2018 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Price-$42.00 which I think is a great price for this palette. I LOVE this palette! A LOT! I would definitely repurchase
I'm not sure why some of the reviews here on MUA are so bad but on Influenster it has 4.89 based on 19,874 reviews. That's pretty darn high.

14 shades include (descriptions from Ulta website):
• Tempera (velvety beige w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Golden Ochre (earthy yellow w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Vermeer (iridescent shell w/ a metallic finish)
• Buon Fresco (antique lavender w/ an ultra- matte finish)
• Antique Bronze (metallic sable w/ a satin finish)
• Love Letter (raspberry w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Cyprus Umber (dark coffee w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Raw Sienna (neutral amber w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Burnt Orange (deep orange w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Primavera (shimmery gold dust w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Red Ochre (sienna w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Venetian Red (crimson w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Warm Taupe (earthy gray w/ an ultra-matte finish)
• Realgar (brick w/ an ultra-matte finish)

It comes with a double ended brush one end to apply the shadows and one end to blend. It’s actually a pretty decent brush and I use it sometimes. The palette is sturdy, has a magnetic closure works well, the names of the colors are on each color, which I really appreciate but it has the suede type of material that will get dirty easily. One of my other favorite palettes has the same material, my It Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Vol I. I put both of these palettes back in the box when I am finished using them and they are stay clean but if you toss them in your makeup drawer out of the box, they will get nasty looking over time.

I absolutely love this pallet and almost all the colors in it. I can create so many different looks and the colors all look so nice with each other. I really love golden ochre, I’m going to run out of it first because I usually start with it as my transition color and I use it when I use other palettes too. I don’t find they have anymore fallout than any other mattes. The formula is silky, so smooth and they are well pigmented. One color, the darkest, Cypress Umber is insanely pigmented and soft. I mean you really have to just barely touch it with your brush then tap it off or it can be a bit hard to work with if you didn’t want a really it to be that dark where you apply it. I use it mostly with a push brush to tight line my upper lashes and sometimes very sparingly on the outer corner. One good thing about these is that the shades are very buildable but also very blendable and moveable, so if you get too much you can blend with a good brush and all will be well.

I like every color in this pallet. I wish they were all available as singles but only 3 of them are available, warm taupe, burnt orange (which I already have) and buon fresco.

I don’t find that any of them oxidize and they apply so easily and blend like a dream. Less is more with these. It just takes a little and I tap, tap tap. If applied and blended right, and you take your time, they never look muddy and look so beautiful on the eyes. I had really not expected to love this as much as I do but on days I don’t use it and use something else, I’m still wanting to grab it and use it. I can do a soft, everyday look with the lighter shades or if I wanted to, I could go crazy and do a super bold look (which I rarely do). I love all of the red & cranberry tones, none of them give me that sick pink red eye look. I usually use them only on the outer corner but have used them on the lid blending until they are sheerer. The 2 shimmers can be kind of hard to work with. Once you apply, if you add more, it removes the first application, they are hard to build up unless you wet your brush, then they are very intense.

The possibilities are many and they always look nice and not over done for an every day look. I use buon fresco a lot as transition and on the lid when I want a cooler toned look. It looks pretty as a transition shade with Vermeer on the lid and love letter on the outer corner and on the outer part of the crease then blended very slightly into the rest of the crease fading toward inner part of the crease. A simple understated ever day look.

I definitely understand the hype over this palette and this time I think it is well deserved. The colors are all beautiful, silky smooth, blend seamlessly and last all day long. I would take this over any of the Naked palettes any day due to their lack of mattes.

love the pigment of the shadows. don't be concerned with the fallout it's worth it with the amount of pigment. packaging is velvet which feels lux at first but gets dirty fast :/

on 1/8/2018 2:46:00 PM

This was a gift from my husband. The salesperson steered him to this palette and I am so happy he did. I love how pigmented the colors are. What you see is what you get. They blend well and look fantastic on. Buy this palettte.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Modern Renaissance contains fourteen shadows in a mix of eleven mattes, one satin and two metallics; Tempera [Velvety beige with an ultra-matte finish], Golden Ochre [Earthy yellow with an ultra-matte finish], Vermeer [Iridescent shell with a metallic finish], Buon Fresco [Antique lavender with an ultra-matte finish], Antique Bronze [Metallic sable with a satin finish], Love Letter [Raspberry with an ultra-matte finish], Cyprus Umber [Dark coffee with an ultra-matte finish], Realgar [Brick with an ultra-matte finish], Warm Taupe [Earthy gray with an ultra-matte finish], Venetian Red [Crimson with an ultra-matte finish], Red Ochre [Sienna with an ultra-matte finish], Primavera [shimmery gold dust with a metallic finish], Burnt Orange [deep orange with an ultra-matte finish] and Raw Sienna [neutral amber with an ultra-matte finish]. You also get a double-ended brush, with is surprisingly high quality and is something that I regularly use.
The shades Burnt Orange, Buon Fresco and Warm Taupe can be brought as individual shadows, and the other eleven shades can only be found in this palette.

This palette caught my eye because it is full of warm shades that will keep me happy all-year round and for every occasion; the matte to shimmer ratio is very practical, there are plenty of safer more 'everyday' neutral shades, but there are lovely bolder colour pops too, in my favourite shadow shades [pinky reds and orange]. The shadows all have fantastic pigmentation, everything is easy to blend & build up, and there's no heavy shimmer/glitter that doesn't adhere to skin and goes everywhere, plus everything is crease & fade resistant. I've not had any issues with shades muddying together or oxidizing to feedback - I believe those problems are being caused by people applying too much product and/or overblending the soft shadows. Speaking of soft shadow; there is kick-up with most of the shades in this palette when I dip my brushes into the pans, but that is something that never really bothers me as long as the powders apply and perform well, which these do.

I can't think of any complaints or niggles with Modern Renaissance - it's the only cosmetic product I've tried that has lived up to it's hype. At least it has for me, anyway.

on 11/11/2017 4:21:00 AM

Absolutely beautiful product. Applies and blends like a dream, and I have already hit pan on half the palette. I will say there is sometimes some minor fallout, but I do my eyemakeup first, so its not really an issue for me. The packaging does get dirty easily, I find, but other wise, I highly recommend this product.

on 8/11/2017 9:28:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

The quality of these eyeshadows is outstanding. They blend beautifully and last on my lids longer than most eyeshadows. Very impressive actually. Usually my eyeshadow only lasts about 6-8 hrs but this eyeshadow can last hours longer. I do feel like a couple of the red shades are too similar. Also the price per gram is very high.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

NEW BATCHES AS BAD AS SUBCULTURE?? The original Renaissance palettes were great it seems but quality of the latest batches may have dropped to the match the new Subculture palette. At least mine and one other youtubers are super powdery and not as good as the original releases. Perhaps because of they have shifted production of both palettes to a bigger factory with new pressing machines that aren't working properly (according to Norvina 's explanations from ABH)

I got mine recently from Sephora and when I opened it there was powder all over the inside of the lid and I had to go and clean it up. I actually thought they sent me a used one at first! I just saw a Youtuber "Here for the Tea" who had the same experience and she thinks the Modern Renaissance batches are being rushed out carelessly in the same way as the Subculture palette to turn out the numbers and prepare ABH for sale. In the same way that Too Faced went downhill just before they sold to Estee Lauder. If you're interested I'll put her video link below.

I think this palette is made to swatch well (it does) and appeal to young girls who don't mind thickly caking on the makeup and closely follow social media trends (it satisfies that too). But it doesn't work well on my actual eyes for the price.

The matte shadows are so extremely powdery loosely pressed that they kick up so much powder everywhere. And yes, I know to use a firm not a fluffy brush to minimise fallout so its not me. (I dislike the way the owner, Norvina blamed customers for application issues, we know how to apply makeup!) Its so powdery it some always manages to get into my eyes and irritate them. I end up so much with fallout on my cheeks I have to cleanse my face after doing my eyes. Then don't layer well. When I blend them over each other I can't build up pigment to intensity I want. The shimmers are better but look thick and unflattering on the delicate thin skin of my older eyes and highlight my crepey lids.

I much prefer the light feeling texture, look, ease of use, easier blending, and better pigmentation I get out of my current (large) collection of Lancome, Tarte, Avon, Dior, Urban Decay and so on. I also have a professional Ben Nye pressed pigment palette which is more pigmented, smoother and the colors show up brighter and more intensely on my eyes.

Quality aside, I like the colors aren't versatile for my coloring (extremely fair yellow toned skin, blue eyes, dark ash blonde hair). Yes there are some bright colors but they are muted and look muddy someone with my coloring. Most of the shades are mid-toned with a murky ashy undertone. The only one light enough for a highlight is a frosty cool light pink which looks dated and unflattering on me. I have to bring in a matte cream to make this work. And there is only one deep shade (top right, Cypress Umber) that is deep or pigmented enough to give me some definition. Thats ok for a soft day look, but for intense night looks I need to bring in a dark color from another palette, or, pile on the black liquid liner and tons of mascara to get the intensity I want. I do think they are best suited for light/medium skin and deeper. I don't think the quality matches the price tag ($75 in my country and NO returns allowed.) I totally regret buying this.

If you're looking for a color-rich, super pigmented, creamy eyeshadow palette, then this is the stuff you're looking for. I didn't really believe at first that Modern Renaissance was as good as it was hyped to be, until I actually went and bought it for myself. Like actual WOW!! The colors are suuuuper gorgeous - the ochres and browns are perfect for a lot of the looks I do since I'm a redhead, but I'm equally and dangerously obsessed with all the berry hues. The colors are just to DIE FOR. They're also very blendable, much to my pleasant surprise, after using the crappy, super hard pigments in most palettes I've used. It has a wonderfully buttery consistency that makes application so much easier - and I love it. You don't have to dig into the pan to get a rich swipe of color. Fallout is fairly common, so you'll need to tap your brush off notably more often; but I don't feel like it wastes a lot of product. There are different opinions towards the brush included, and it all depends on preference. For blendability, I think it does very well. The bristles, however, do come out often enough that it CAN become annoying for some. The velvet packaging is pretty, but it becomes dirty very easily; so I can safely say I didn't buy it for the outside. I had to break bank a little to bring this beauty home, but I think it was definitely worth the money. I absolutely fell in love with it. I've never hit pan so fast!! Lol. I would very likely buy it again.

on 7/17/2017 7:33:00 AM

This is my holy grail pallette, I can't explain how much I love it. I've hit pan on about 80% of the colours now meaning I'm going to definitely buy a new one. The colours are amazing, pigmented, easy to blend. The mattes blend perfectly without blending into nothing and the shimmery colours are so pigmented and amazing. I even love the brush it comes with however I never normally like brushes that come with palletes! I prefer it to my morphe fluffy blending brush! Overall this is a great palette, I would definitely recommend this the colour range is amazing, there's something for all skin types and he eyeshadow lasts allll day.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Definitely everything good anyone says about this palette is true: pigment, texture, colors, performance etc. all are awesome. I have not yet figured out how to do an eye look using more than a few colors from this palette, so I just stick to 3 and love the outcome every time no matter which 3 I choose. Each color looks great on its own as well. Don't let the girly pink velvet exterior fool you - this is sophisticated and bold palette that will add some interest into any collection!