Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.4

on 8/9/2016 6:58:00 AM

I'm not being paid to review for these brands so I'm not going to sugar coat it. I will warn you that there is a lot of hype about this palette that is borderline *over sensationalised*, aka similar to the peach palette by Too Faced. All I'll say is before you run out and buy this know the facts and what you're actually buying before you dish out the cashola,

For me it's a real love hate relationship with this palette.

First off the bat: The colours are beautiful and romantic. The soft reds and buttery browns are dreamy and look sensational. Also the blendability of the colours is fantastic.

However........

The biggest con of them all: a lot of these shadows contain CARMINE. Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a Vegan cosmetic company, so watch out! Now I didn't know this before I purchased the palette (which I'm annoyed because I only buy Vegan brands with cruelty free practices. I assumed this company was, but I was wrong). After using this palette for a week I found out the hard way that it was not a Vegan product. Yes the colours are lovely and the powder is so very finely milled...but the eye shadows dried and irritated my eyelids *that badly* that I was left with scaly, dry, irritated lids after a week of using these shades every day. I use Urban Decay, Too Faced, even cheapo Makeup Revolution and have never had a reaction like this palette has given me. Hello red, itchy dermititis eyelid hell. No more eye shadows for me at the moment. Some of the shadows do have carmine in them, and that's a well known eye irritant (so yeah sure why not chuck that in an eye shadow *rolls eyes*). Anyway heads up to the sensitive peeps and the Vegan peeps out there.

Also the fallout is something shocking. Even stroking the brush on the shadows causes an avalanche of powder to spill everywhere. You have been warned.

The packaging is like Urban Decay's Naked palette, that velvet case thing. Honestly I would like a tin, I mean I paid enough for a tin at the very least? Surely? And don't get me started with the cheapest nastiest brush that ever existed that is included with this palette. At least Urban Decay have nice brushes. The one in the Modern Renaissance is actually insulting. Sometimes it's better to not include something if its the same quality as a synthetic paint brush from the dollar store. Just sayin....

The colours may be nice but considering the horrible carmine irritation and fallout and the fact that Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a animal cruelty free company, I can't recommend this, Or say it's great. Just no.

Le sigh.

on 1/5/2017 1:41:00 PM

This palette is some kind of beautiful, it's true. The colour selection is rich and warm and cohesive and awesome. The eye shadows are soft and creamy and incredibly pigmented, and they blend really exceptionally well.

I have a couple of main gripes though. My top gripe is that these eye shadows crease and fade noticeably more on me than other formulas, both drugstore and high end. No matter which eye primer I use, my eye look is pretty messed a few hours later. :/ So if you're prone to creasing and fading, I would not recommend this palette.

Second gripe: the blender end of the eye shadow brush is total scratchy trash. They could at least put something usable in there.

Two other gripes: you don't get a lot of product in this palette compared to many other palettes of a similar price, and you get a lot of powder kick-up in the pan when you put your brush in there.

So I have mixed feelings about this palette, but I won't repurchase and I can't recommend this to others due to the creasing. Oh well! :/

UPDATE: Any eye shadow look I do with these shadows starts to fade and crease instantly and it totally creased and messed within a couple hours. What is the point of wearing it then? Definite regret! I removed another lippie from my overall rating.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Because I was mad at myself for missing out on the ABH Self Made palette, I'd decided that, come hell or high water, I would get her next palette as they are such a good value, price-wise. I really wanted for this to be a fabulous purchase for me but I decided to try it out in-store and there are just so many colours in it that absolutely do not work for me and actually make me look BAAAD - as though I've had a serious allergic reaction to something. Red Ochre, Venetian Red and Love Letter are the worst, along with Burnt Orange and Realgar, but several of the other shadows are also too orange/red based to be wearable for me! I already have enough of these types of colours in a bunch of KvD and UD Vice palettes and they are all untouched, so I hardly needed more. I'm sure these shades look fabulous on people with different colouring from mine and different eye colours but for me - no thanks. I also noticed, as I was trying this palette, that some of the shadows seemed to kick up a fair bit of powder. I thought it was because it was the store tester or that the SA at Sephora was being heavy-handed with her brushes but now, reading some of the earlier reviews, I see this is a common complaint. I'm glad I took the time to try it in-store to avoid a costly mistake.

on 1/4/2018 7:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had waited forever to buy this palette and finally splurged when it went on sale. I was going back and forth between this palette, UD Naked Heat or both ever since they came out. Finally for Christmas, I let myself get this. The colors are so pretty, the texture felt very nice and pigmented and there is an impressive matte selection. My problem was the colors on me. Most of MUA recommended this over HEAT for me. But the more I played with the MR colors there were a few issues. First, I am not great with eye makeup, but everything kept muddying together...is it me or the palette? Second, these shadows wore me. I love shades like MAC Cranberry so I thought this palette would work, but these shades came off, maybe too warm for the browns, just not good on my nw20, deep winter complexion, 3n hair and brown eyes with some hazel to them (dark under eye circles too). I tried every which way to enjoy this palette, but I never smiled once after putting on a shade. I always thought, "How can I make this work?". The people I have seen this look best on have more of a golden complexion IMO. I could make some looks work, but it took work. I was not having fun with this palette. I had the same issue I had with the Lorac Pro Matte palette with the shadows feeling soft and velvety but just muddying up on me. So this is a pretty palette and if you can work easily with the colors, gorgeous. But it just did not get along with me very well.

Sidenote: I did pick up the UD Naked Heat palette later to try. Everyone kept saying it wouldn't work on me, but a few peeps with hazel eyes said they loved it (who were my complexion). It does come off a bit warm, but not weird warm like MR did on me. It gives me a peaches and cream look when I wear the softer shades. The bolder, deeper shades give me a gorgeous bronze smokey eye like I have never been able to pull off with true "smokey" gray/black, brown shades. If you like shades like MAC Embark and Antiqued...I think you will like Heat. I will write a full review later when I have played with it longer, but it seems to sit on me easier than MR. It has also made me smile more and been easier to work with on me than MR was. I just wish I had bought the UD during the sale instead. :(

on 12/26/2017 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm not sure if I understand the hype with this palette. I don't find the colors cohesive and I feel like its not flattering with my brown eyes. I will not purchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

NEW BATCHES AS BAD AS SUBCULTURE?? The original Renaissance palettes were great it seems but quality of the latest batches may have dropped to the match the new Subculture palette. At least mine and one other youtubers are super powdery and not as good as the original releases. Perhaps because of they have shifted production of both palettes to a bigger factory with new pressing machines that aren't working properly (according to Norvina 's explanations from ABH)

I got mine recently from Sephora and when I opened it there was powder all over the inside of the lid and I had to go and clean it up. I actually thought they sent me a used one at first! I just saw a Youtuber "Here for the Tea" who had the same experience and she thinks the Modern Renaissance batches are being rushed out carelessly in the same way as the Subculture palette to turn out the numbers and prepare ABH for sale. In the same way that Too Faced went downhill just before they sold to Estee Lauder. If you're interested I'll put her video link below.

I think this palette is made to swatch well (it does) and appeal to young girls who don't mind thickly caking on the makeup and closely follow social media trends (it satisfies that too). But it doesn't work well on my actual eyes for the price.

The matte shadows are so extremely powdery loosely pressed that they kick up so much powder everywhere. And yes, I know to use a firm not a fluffy brush to minimise fallout so its not me. (I dislike the way the owner, Norvina blamed customers for application issues, we know how to apply makeup!) Its so powdery it some always manages to get into my eyes and irritate them. I end up so much with fallout on my cheeks I have to cleanse my face after doing my eyes. Then don't layer well. When I blend them over each other I can't build up pigment to intensity I want. The shimmers are better but look thick and unflattering on the delicate thin skin of my older eyes and highlight my crepey lids.

I much prefer the light feeling texture, look, ease of use, easier blending, and better pigmentation I get out of my current (large) collection of Lancome, Tarte, Avon, Dior, Urban Decay and so on. I also have a professional Ben Nye pressed pigment palette which is more pigmented, smoother and the colors show up brighter and more intensely on my eyes.

Quality aside, I like the colors aren't versatile for my coloring (extremely fair yellow toned skin, blue eyes, dark ash blonde hair). Yes there are some bright colors but they are muted and look muddy someone with my coloring. Most of the shades are mid-toned with a murky ashy undertone. The only one light enough for a highlight is a frosty cool light pink which looks dated and unflattering on me. I have to bring in a matte cream to make this work. And there is only one deep shade (top right, Cypress Umber) that is deep or pigmented enough to give me some definition. Thats ok for a soft day look, but for intense night looks I need to bring in a dark color from another palette, or, pile on the black liquid liner and tons of mascara to get the intensity I want. I do think they are best suited for light/medium skin and deeper. I don't think the quality matches the price tag ($75 in my country and NO returns allowed.) I totally regret buying this.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Beautiful palette but ended up returning it because of all the mess it creates. The shadows are so soft that even wth a light hand it would dust up everywhere and even mess up my face LOL. It's a shame really cause I liked those brown/orange shades.

on 12/28/2018 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

My 14 year old is obsessed with ABH palette and get them at Ulta usually. She claims they have "good pigment" and wear well for her. Should last her quite a long time. She now has a few of these.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is a great neutral palette that also offers up a wide variety of color to play around with. You can create many neutral, warm reds, cooler berry tones, and orange looks and every shade plays well with each other. You can blindly stick your brush into any shade and you will still have a cohesive look. I've used almost every colour combo and none of them blend muddy like some of the other ABH palettes. I love how I can use this everyday because it's so pigmented you only need a small amount of product and even the brighter shades tone down to be work/school appropriate.

I've only found a few drawbacks:
- Cyprus Umber (the dark brown shade) is the most prone to patchiness but built up slowly with a light hand it looks fine.
- Primavera (gold shimmer) is not opaque like the other two shimmers. It applies as a very loose smattering of gold sparkles.
- these shadows will fade and crease. I do not have oily lids and this is the first time I've ever had to prime my eyes
- this palette has a shorter life span than average. Many people have reported after two years it becomes unusable so unless you're planning on regularly using this I would maybe choose a different product

on 5/29/2018 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am late to the Modern Renaissance craze , but I am glad I finally purchased this palette. Love Letter and Venetian Red are unique colors that I did not previously own, and my favorite of this palette. I love velvet, but the packaging gets dirty very easily. I just take a makeup wipe to clean it and that works to get it clean. The shadows are extremely powdery, even if you dip your brush in lightly , excess powder still kicks up, mixing into the nearby shades, making the mirror constantly dirty when you close the palette. The brush I actually like. The crease side does feel scratchy and rough , but it does apply the eyeshadow just fine .