Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.4

on 8/9/2016 6:58:00 AM

I'm not being paid to review for these brands so I'm not going to sugar coat it. I will warn you that there is a lot of hype about this palette that is borderline *over sensationalised*, aka similar to the peach palette by Too Faced. All I'll say is before you run out and buy this know the facts and what you're actually buying before you dish out the cashola,

For me it's a real love hate relationship with this palette.

First off the bat: The colours are beautiful and romantic. The soft reds and buttery browns are dreamy and look sensational. Also the blendability of the colours is fantastic.

However........

The biggest con of them all: a lot of these shadows contain CARMINE. Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a Vegan cosmetic company, so watch out! Now I didn't know this before I purchased the palette (which I'm annoyed because I only buy Vegan brands with cruelty free practices. I assumed this company was, but I was wrong). After using this palette for a week I found out the hard way that it was not a Vegan product. Yes the colours are lovely and the powder is so very finely milled...but the eye shadows dried and irritated my eyelids *that badly* that I was left with scaly, dry, irritated lids after a week of using these shades every day. I use Urban Decay, Too Faced, even cheapo Makeup Revolution and have never had a reaction like this palette has given me. Hello red, itchy dermititis eyelid hell. No more eye shadows for me at the moment. Some of the shadows do have carmine in them, and that's a well known eye irritant (so yeah sure why not chuck that in an eye shadow *rolls eyes*). Anyway heads up to the sensitive peeps and the Vegan peeps out there.

Also the fallout is something shocking. Even stroking the brush on the shadows causes an avalanche of powder to spill everywhere. You have been warned.

The packaging is like Urban Decay's Naked palette, that velvet case thing. Honestly I would like a tin, I mean I paid enough for a tin at the very least? Surely? And don't get me started with the cheapest nastiest brush that ever existed that is included with this palette. At least Urban Decay have nice brushes. The one in the Modern Renaissance is actually insulting. Sometimes it's better to not include something if its the same quality as a synthetic paint brush from the dollar store. Just sayin....

The colours may be nice but considering the horrible carmine irritation and fallout and the fact that Anastasia of Beverly Hills is not a animal cruelty free company, I can't recommend this, Or say it's great. Just no.

Le sigh.

on 1/5/2017 1:41:00 PM

This palette is some kind of beautiful, it's true. The colour selection is rich and warm and cohesive and awesome. The eye shadows are soft and creamy and incredibly pigmented, and they blend really exceptionally well.

I have a couple of main gripes though. My top gripe is that these eye shadows crease and fade noticeably more on me than other formulas, both drugstore and high end. No matter which eye primer I use, my eye look is pretty messed a few hours later. :/ So if you're prone to creasing and fading, I would not recommend this palette.

Second gripe: the blender end of the eye shadow brush is total scratchy trash. They could at least put something usable in there.

Two other gripes: you don't get a lot of product in this palette compared to many other palettes of a similar price, and you get a lot of powder kick-up in the pan when you put your brush in there.

So I have mixed feelings about this palette, but I won't repurchase and I can't recommend this to others due to the creasing. Oh well! :/

UPDATE: Any eye shadow look I do with these shadows starts to fade and crease instantly and it totally creased and messed within a couple hours. What is the point of wearing it then? Definite regret! I removed another lippie from my overall rating.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Because I was mad at myself for missing out on the ABH Self Made palette, I'd decided that, come hell or high water, I would get her next palette as they are such a good value, price-wise. I really wanted for this to be a fabulous purchase for me but I decided to try it out in-store and there are just so many colours in it that absolutely do not work for me and actually make me look BAAAD - as though I've had a serious allergic reaction to something. Red Ochre, Venetian Red and Love Letter are the worst, along with Burnt Orange and Realgar, but several of the other shadows are also too orange/red based to be wearable for me! I already have enough of these types of colours in a bunch of KvD and UD Vice palettes and they are all untouched, so I hardly needed more. I'm sure these shades look fabulous on people with different colouring from mine and different eye colours but for me - no thanks. I also noticed, as I was trying this palette, that some of the shadows seemed to kick up a fair bit of powder. I thought it was because it was the store tester or that the SA at Sephora was being heavy-handed with her brushes but now, reading some of the earlier reviews, I see this is a common complaint. I'm glad I took the time to try it in-store to avoid a costly mistake.

on 1/4/2018 7:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had waited forever to buy this palette and finally splurged when it went on sale. I was going back and forth between this palette, UD Naked Heat or both ever since they came out. Finally for Christmas, I let myself get this. The colors are so pretty, the texture felt very nice and pigmented and there is an impressive matte selection. My problem was the colors on me. Most of MUA recommended this over HEAT for me. But the more I played with the MR colors there were a few issues. First, I am not great with eye makeup, but everything kept muddying together...is it me or the palette? Second, these shadows wore me. I love shades like MAC Cranberry so I thought this palette would work, but these shades came off, maybe too warm for the browns, just not good on my nw20, deep winter complexion, 3n hair and brown eyes with some hazel to them (dark under eye circles too). I tried every which way to enjoy this palette, but I never smiled once after putting on a shade. I always thought, "How can I make this work?". The people I have seen this look best on have more of a golden complexion IMO. I could make some looks work, but it took work. I was not having fun with this palette. I had the same issue I had with the Lorac Pro Matte palette with the shadows feeling soft and velvety but just muddying up on me. So this is a pretty palette and if you can work easily with the colors, gorgeous. But it just did not get along with me very well.

Sidenote: I did pick up the UD Naked Heat palette later to try. Everyone kept saying it wouldn't work on me, but a few peeps with hazel eyes said they loved it (who were my complexion). It does come off a bit warm, but not weird warm like MR did on me. It gives me a peaches and cream look when I wear the softer shades. The bolder, deeper shades give me a gorgeous bronze smokey eye like I have never been able to pull off with true "smokey" gray/black, brown shades. If you like shades like MAC Embark and Antiqued...I think you will like Heat. I will write a full review later when I have played with it longer, but it seems to sit on me easier than MR. It has also made me smile more and been easier to work with on me than MR was. I just wish I had bought the UD during the sale instead. :(

on 12/26/2017 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm not sure if I understand the hype with this palette. I don't find the colors cohesive and I feel like its not flattering with my brown eyes. I will not purchase.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Beautiful palette but ended up returning it because of all the mess it creates. The shadows are so soft that even wth a light hand it would dust up everywhere and even mess up my face LOL. It's a shame really cause I liked those brown/orange shades.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is a great neutral palette that also offers up a wide variety of color to play around with. You can create many neutral, warm reds, cooler berry tones, and orange looks and every shade plays well with each other. You can blindly stick your brush into any shade and you will still have a cohesive look. I've used almost every colour combo and none of them blend muddy like some of the other ABH palettes. I love how I can use this everyday because it's so pigmented you only need a small amount of product and even the brighter shades tone down to be work/school appropriate.

I've only found a few drawbacks:
- Cyprus Umber (the dark brown shade) is the most prone to patchiness but built up slowly with a light hand it looks fine.
- Primavera (gold shimmer) is not opaque like the other two shimmers. It applies as a very loose smattering of gold sparkles.
- these shadows will fade and crease. I do not have oily lids and this is the first time I've ever had to prime my eyes
- this palette has a shorter life span than average. Many people have reported after two years it becomes unusable so unless you're planning on regularly using this I would maybe choose a different product

on 5/29/2018 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am late to the Modern Renaissance craze , but I am glad I finally purchased this palette. Love Letter and Venetian Red are unique colors that I did not previously own, and my favorite of this palette. I love velvet, but the packaging gets dirty very easily. I just take a makeup wipe to clean it and that works to get it clean. The shadows are extremely powdery, even if you dip your brush in lightly , excess powder still kicks up, mixing into the nearby shades, making the mirror constantly dirty when you close the palette. The brush I actually like. The crease side does feel scratchy and rough , but it does apply the eyeshadow just fine .

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with this palette. The colours are perfect, the packaging is gorgeous (even if I do have to keep it in the cardboard box forever to keep it clean), even the included brush isn’t too bad - but I only seem to be able to get two looks out of this entire palette. Two good looks, but still. No matter how hard I try, my eye makeup looks the same all the time, except sometimes it’s orange and sometimes it’s pink. So many gorgeous colours in here but they’re all a little too similar to each other.

However, it’s still my favourite palette (my beloved Shade and Light has been touched maybe twice since I got MR - who needs neutral eyes when you can have pink?) and I absolutely can’t fault the quality. I was a little wary of buying because pink toned eye makeup is something I’d always assumed would look terrible on me (remember the days when palettes only had 3 or 4 colours in them and you ~had~ to choose a complementary colour for your eye colour?! Everything said green eyes = purple shadow but purple always looked awful so I assumed pink would be the same for me!) but I’m surprised by how wearable it really is.

on 12/24/2017 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really didn't have much interest in this all year, mostly because I went crazy this year and have purchased at least 10 or 12 palettes(shameful!)... I picked it up this week on sale, and really am pleased with it...the shades are buttery, pigmented, and there are a lot of looks that can be created. It's a nice addition to my collection, and I definitely recommend... I really want to give it 3.5 stars just based on packaging alone lol, but I really can't because the shadows are fab .. I do love Anastasia products, but man their packaging is so cheap looking, especially for the price..I expect Morphe or Colour Pop to have cheap packaging based on their price point... No one beats Tarte for beautiful/luxe packaging.