Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.4

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is a great neutral palette that also offers up a wide variety of color to play around with. You can create many neutral, warm reds, cooler berry tones, and orange looks and every shade plays well with each other. You can blindly stick your brush into any shade and you will still have a cohesive look. I've used almost every colour combo and none of them blend muddy like some of the other ABH palettes. I love how I can use this everyday because it's so pigmented you only need a small amount of product and even the brighter shades tone down to be work/school appropriate.

I've only found a few drawbacks:
- Cyprus Umber (the dark brown shade) is the most prone to patchiness but built up slowly with a light hand it looks fine.
- Primavera (gold shimmer) is not opaque like the other two shimmers. It applies as a very loose smattering of gold sparkles.
- these shadows will fade and crease. I do not have oily lids and this is the first time I've ever had to prime my eyes
- this palette has a shorter life span than average. Many people have reported after two years it becomes unusable so unless you're planning on regularly using this I would maybe choose a different product

on 7/22/2018 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

After ages of seeing everyone use this palette I finally decided to take the plunge and get one for myself. The eyeshadows are everything that people described them as: soft, highly pigmented, and easy to blend. Initially I found the soft nature of the shadows a little difficult to work with, as I tend to be heavy-handed. Learning to pick them up gently to avoid fallout took some practice for me. Each of these shades is beautiful and applies well. Not a single one is subpar. They are all long lasting, although a couple of shades may slightly fade by the end of the day. The shade Buon Fresco will fade even with primer, although it is still not much. Also unlike many other palettes that provide brushes, the double-ended brush in the Modern Renaissance palette is actually useable. My only complaint about this palette is the cover of the packaging. While the velvet cover looks pretty when you open your palette for the first time, it gets messy very quickly. After a week of using it I was already finding cat hair collecting on it, so expect other things to also catch on it. My one complaint aside, I absolutely adore this palette. I have used it nearly every day since getting it six months ago to the point of almost neglecting my other palettes. While $42 is not cheap for a palette, this one is a product I am happy to splurge on.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This was my first ever eyeshadow palette. I was fortunate to receive it as a birthday gift.
I don't think I have one bad thing to say about it. The colors are so beautifully formulated and easy to work with. The blend like butter and the pigmentation is fantastic. I love the color scheme so much as well. I'm able to get tons of different looks out of this one palette.
I've purchased a few more palettes since getting this one, but this one's still my favorite.

on 5/29/2018 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am late to the Modern Renaissance craze , but I am glad I finally purchased this palette. Love Letter and Venetian Red are unique colors that I did not previously own, and my favorite of this palette. I love velvet, but the packaging gets dirty very easily. I just take a makeup wipe to clean it and that works to get it clean. The shadows are extremely powdery, even if you dip your brush in lightly , excess powder still kicks up, mixing into the nearby shades, making the mirror constantly dirty when you close the palette. The brush I actually like. The crease side does feel scratchy and rough , but it does apply the eyeshadow just fine .

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with this palette. The colours are perfect, the packaging is gorgeous (even if I do have to keep it in the cardboard box forever to keep it clean), even the included brush isn’t too bad - but I only seem to be able to get two looks out of this entire palette. Two good looks, but still. No matter how hard I try, my eye makeup looks the same all the time, except sometimes it’s orange and sometimes it’s pink. So many gorgeous colours in here but they’re all a little too similar to each other.

However, it’s still my favourite palette (my beloved Shade and Light has been touched maybe twice since I got MR - who needs neutral eyes when you can have pink?) and I absolutely can’t fault the quality. I was a little wary of buying because pink toned eye makeup is something I’d always assumed would look terrible on me (remember the days when palettes only had 3 or 4 colours in them and you ~had~ to choose a complementary colour for your eye colour?! Everything said green eyes = purple shadow but purple always looked awful so I assumed pink would be the same for me!) but I’m surprised by how wearable it really is.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Absolutely nothing but positive things to say about this palette. That being said, I wouldn’t say it was my go-to eyeshadow palette for everyday makeup looks, on account of it being super intense, but I definitely reach for it when I want some serious eye drama. Richly pigmented, gorgeous shades, buttery soft and super blendable...., everything you want from a quality eyeshadow palette. Worth every penny! 👌🏼

on 1/4/2018 7:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had waited forever to buy this palette and finally splurged when it went on sale. I was going back and forth between this palette, UD Naked Heat or both ever since they came out. Finally for Christmas, I let myself get this. The colors are so pretty, the texture felt very nice and pigmented and there is an impressive matte selection. My problem was the colors on me. Most of MUA recommended this over HEAT for me. But the more I played with the MR colors there were a few issues. First, I am not great with eye makeup, but everything kept muddying together...is it me or the palette? Second, these shadows wore me. I love shades like MAC Cranberry so I thought this palette would work, but these shades came off, maybe too warm for the browns, just not good on my nw20, deep winter complexion, 3n hair and brown eyes with some hazel to them (dark under eye circles too). I tried every which way to enjoy this palette, but I never smiled once after putting on a shade. I always thought, "How can I make this work?". The people I have seen this look best on have more of a golden complexion IMO. I could make some looks work, but it took work. I was not having fun with this palette. I had the same issue I had with the Lorac Pro Matte palette with the shadows feeling soft and velvety but just muddying up on me. So this is a pretty palette and if you can work easily with the colors, gorgeous. But it just did not get along with me very well.

Sidenote: I did pick up the UD Naked Heat palette later to try. Everyone kept saying it wouldn't work on me, but a few peeps with hazel eyes said they loved it (who were my complexion). It does come off a bit warm, but not weird warm like MR did on me. It gives me a peaches and cream look when I wear the softer shades. The bolder, deeper shades give me a gorgeous bronze smokey eye like I have never been able to pull off with true "smokey" gray/black, brown shades. If you like shades like MAC Embark and Antiqued...I think you will like Heat. I will write a full review later when I have played with it longer, but it seems to sit on me easier than MR. It has also made me smile more and been easier to work with on me than MR was. I just wish I had bought the UD during the sale instead. :(

on 12/26/2017 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm not sure if I understand the hype with this palette. I don't find the colors cohesive and I feel like its not flattering with my brown eyes. I will not purchase.

on 12/24/2017 12:30:00 PM

I really didn't have much interest in this all year, mostly because I went crazy this year and have purchased at least 10 or 12 palettes(shameful!)... I picked it up this week on sale, and really am pleased with it...the shades are buttery, pigmented, and there are a lot of looks that can be created. It's a nice addition to my collection, and I definitely recommend... I really want to give it 3.5 stars just based on packaging alone lol, but I really can't because the shadows are fab .. I do love Anastasia products, but man their packaging is so cheap looking, especially for the price..I expect Morphe or Colour Pop to have cheap packaging based on their price point... No one beats Tarte for beautiful/luxe packaging.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I don’t like spending a lot of money on eyeshadow palettes...I like versatility and many palettes only do one type of look or aren’t easy to blend. I’m still figuring out and experimenting with eyeshadow techniques and looks so I’ve usually stuck to brown and nuetral shades...a bit more forgiving but not as dramatic. I really wanted a fall/holiday themed palette and it was down to the Modern Renaissance of UD Heat. I watched a ton of YouTube videos and finally decided to try this because of the wide range of colors as compared to the more orange shades on Heat.
It is incredibly pigmented and creamy...I feel like you could be a total nube with eyeshadows and this would still blend beautifully. I even stopped watching tutorials and just played with the colors on my own (which is HUGE because I am really not that good with dramatic eye makeup and it usually ends up looking muddy or splotchy) but all of these work together beautifully and I always get compliments....it’s probably because I usually don’t wear colors like this.
I noticed a few beauty gurus saw it is only for bold looks but TBH, I’ve used it for very neutral, romantic looks too! I avoid the darker and more shimmery shades and it creates a really pretty, soft look.
Regardless of your ability, this is a really nice palette, I haven’t tried the brush it comes with because I just recently upgraded my brushes to the Sigma set and I’ve been playing around with those.