Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by hair type : Other
Anastasia Of Beverly Hills  Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.4

This is a no brainer...if you are unsure go swatch it for yourself...the fact that it has been available for so long now and get they are constantly selling out of it at my local sephora says alot!
You will read things like buttery, pigmented, magical, blendable, smooth etc when used to describe this palette and those are all accurate words. I am a very neutral gal when it comes to eyeshadow, I have more warm toned neutral palettes than any one person should own. I swatched this months ago and fell in love with the texture. I was on the fence about the red, plum, burgendy, orange toned shades thinking that I couldn't pull off vibrant colors at my age but I couldn't pass it up bc of the formula.I bought it and spent only a few minutes playing around with it before realizing that these are VERY wearable colors! They layer so nice and blend out so good. Go swatch it for yourself. I still reach for this several times a week over all other palettes...I wish the packaging didnt get so dirty but that's not an issue. I have have hit pan on a few shades after many many months of almost daily use and am planning to repurchase soon! As always ABH did a great job with this one...the subculture palette not so much but that's a diff subject! All in all a deff staple to have in your collection.

on 9/18/2017 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

(I purchased this in June of 2016)

I go back and forth on my feelings on this palette. When I first purchased it I loved it, but I can admit it was a “spenders high” and I kept seeing it all over Instagram so I was excited to have it in my hands.

I like the shades Antique Bronze, Buon Fresco, Red Ochre and the two shimmer shades, Vermeer and Primavera. I started using Raw Sienna as a base color and I like the look of it. Realgar and Cypress Umber can be a pretty duo. I don’t really use the very light shades because they don’t show up on my skin but they can be ok for transitioning or softening your eye look.

One of the biggest problems I have with this is that the shadows are powdery and lose their vibrancy/pigmentation once blended. So then I have to keep going back and building them up.

The packaging is pretty but I should have held the tester in the store because I wouldn’t have bought it if I had known it was velvet even though the color is really pretty. (but that is lack of attention on my part)

After 4 months, due to the powder kick up from the shadows I already touched pan on them, before this palette the Chocolate Bar was the only palette I had for a whole year, used it every day and it took that whole year of using before I saw pan on any of those shadows. I felt that I had to force myself to use this palette so I wasn't a big fan. I ended up giving it away to a family member…who ended up giving it back to me after about 8 months lol.

After trying it again for a second time (since about August 2017) I like it a little bit more when I used the NYX Pencil in Milk to help the pigmentation. I use more flat eye brushes to pack on color and smaller blended brushes so I don’t have to do too much going back into the palette.

I’ve come to like this palette more to play with the orange and red shades and use them as accents. Even though its not my favorite I still enjoy opening up a few different palettes and going to town.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

NEW BATCHES AS BAD AS SUBCULTURE?? The original Renaissance palettes were great it seems but quality of the latest batches may have dropped to the match the new Subculture palette. At least mine and one other youtubers are super powdery and not as good as the original releases. Perhaps because of they have shifted production of both palettes to a bigger factory with new pressing machines that aren't working properly (according to Norvina 's explanations from ABH)

I got mine recently from Sephora and when I opened it there was powder all over the inside of the lid and I had to go and clean it up. I actually thought they sent me a used one at first! I just saw a Youtuber "Here for the Tea" who had the same experience and she thinks the Modern Renaissance batches are being rushed out carelessly in the same way as the Subculture palette to turn out the numbers and prepare ABH for sale. In the same way that Too Faced went downhill just before they sold to Estee Lauder. If you're interested I'll put her video link below.

I think this palette is made to swatch well (it does) and appeal to young girls who don't mind thickly caking on the makeup and closely follow social media trends (it satisfies that too). But it doesn't work well on my actual eyes for the price.

The matte shadows are so extremely powdery loosely pressed that they kick up so much powder everywhere. And yes, I know to use a firm not a fluffy brush to minimise fallout so its not me. (I dislike the way the owner, Norvina blamed customers for application issues, we know how to apply makeup!) Its so powdery it some always manages to get into my eyes and irritate them. I end up so much with fallout on my cheeks I have to cleanse my face after doing my eyes. Then don't layer well. When I blend them over each other I can't build up pigment to intensity I want. The shimmers are better but look thick and unflattering on the delicate thin skin of my older eyes and highlight my crepey lids.

I much prefer the light feeling texture, look, ease of use, easier blending, and better pigmentation I get out of my current (large) collection of Lancome, Tarte, Avon, Dior, Urban Decay and so on. I also have a professional Ben Nye pressed pigment palette which is more pigmented, smoother and the colors show up brighter and more intensely on my eyes.

Quality aside, I like the colors aren't versatile for my coloring (extremely fair yellow toned skin, blue eyes, dark ash blonde hair). Yes there are some bright colors but they are muted and look muddy someone with my coloring. Most of the shades are mid-toned with a murky ashy undertone. The only one light enough for a highlight is a frosty cool light pink which looks dated and unflattering on me. I have to bring in a matte cream to make this work. And there is only one deep shade (top right, Cypress Umber) that is deep or pigmented enough to give me some definition. Thats ok for a soft day look, but for intense night looks I need to bring in a dark color from another palette, or, pile on the black liquid liner and tons of mascara to get the intensity I want. I do think they are best suited for light/medium skin and deeper. I don't think the quality matches the price tag ($75 in my country and NO returns allowed.) I totally regret buying this.

on 6/23/2017 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I can't see when I'd ever run out of this palette to warrant a repurchase, but if for some reason that happened, then I would. It's just so beautiful and all the colours work together and there are a lot of looks that you can make from the shade selection. Really beautiful formula, definitely for intermediate makeup users (I'm a beginner) as the learning curve is slightly steep using these colours and formula - but I am always happy to play and learn. Beautiful palette.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

love love this pallette has a bit of kick up but pigmented and bendable long lasting go quality .I will not be dropping 60$ on the subculture pallette with all the "drama" surrounding it,I've found a dupe for the subculture not all the shades but one can get all the shades when the colors are mixed , the dupe is NYX. olive you pallette and it cost only 22$.sorry ABH.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Okay, I never ever thought ANY eyeshadows could be this amazing! It's magical !
This thing is so fucking expensive, but amazing! The colours are so beautiful and bendable and do last good on my eyelids. They are so pigmented that its almost too much, it's like painting on your eyelids!
Absolutely love it, and think I want to try more of her eyeshadows.

Absolute favorite palette, ever. I use every shade, and it's never disappointed me. I can't believe how wearable all that red is! And it blends like a dream, the shimmers are so creamy and the mattes are butter! ABH is probably my favorite make-up company right now, I love everything I've tried from them. It's a great deal for 14 shades, and a little goes a long way.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This palette is stunning.
There are so many fabulous, varied looks you can create with this, from neutral browns, to deep pinks and burgundy's. My favourite shade has to be Buon Fresco, a unique lavender shade that just looks beautiful with blue eyes.
The forumla on the matte's is fantastic, very bendable, very soft, and very little kick up. I saw some people talking about there being a bit of fall out, but I personally haven't experienced this. I always tap off my brushes before I use them, and I think this helps to keep fall out of any product at bay. The shimmers are stunning, especially when used with a dampened brush. The packaging, to me, is gorgeous. It certainly feels like £42's worth of packaging. People have complained about the lid and the faux suede texture. I can see how this is irritating, and it does pick up product and can get dirty very easily. However, I just keep it in it's uni-carton most of the time so nothing can get to it.
Overall, I absolutely adore this palette, it's truly fantastic.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I am probably one of 5 people on earth who didn't like this palette. I wanted it so bad too! I didn't mind the powder consistency. It swatches great. I just felt like it moved around after I put it on, if that makes sense. I would try a look and the colors would migrate. I didn't find the formula that impressive. It was very pigmented and a good color selection. I wanted the oranges and pinks still, and ended up getting the Tarte Pro. I find that to be much better!

With all that being said, I have several friends that adore this palette!

on 2/18/2017 5:17:00 PM

COLORS:
Beautiful palette with (mostly) warm shades that lean very orange toned. Don't be deterred by the bright pinks in the palette, you can create several other regular warm toned looks. The only thing you should be concerned about is how pigmented the colors are. If you want a subtle look, definitely aim for the lighter shades.

FORMULA:
The formula is excellent however there is quite a bit of kick-back when you want some color. Even the slightest brush swipe could result in a lot of kick back. These last about 8 hours on me with the color slightly fading by the end of the day.

PACKAGING:
The velvet cover is honestly not the best, however I'm not really buying this for the packaging so it doesn't bug me that much! The eyeshadow brush end is great but the fluffy side really isn't.