Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I dislike going against the majority, but I feel everyone's opinion and experience with a product counts. For me, this is a total no-go. I feel like the shades in here are not flattering for many skin tones and eye colors. Many of these shades on me make me look like I have pink eye or I am sick. That is if I can even get the product to apply decently. I get a lot of fallout with this, even a light tap of the product. They do not go on smoothly for me (even trying with 4 different primers) and they apply unevenly and patchy and then they crease on me within a couple of hours. I wanted to like this palette because of the hype, but it is just not for me. I also feel too many of these shades are too similar to each other. I find it hard to create a look with this palette alone, and when trying, it just for me looks muddled or like I was playing with cheap makeup. The brush that comes with this is surprisingly nice, though.

on 6/9/2017 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I waited many months for this palette to be restocked at Sephora and was thrilled when it finally was! I previously bought the Mario palette by ABH and fell in love with their formula! Upon first use of Modern Renaissance I was disappointed. I usually have no problem if eye shadows have some kickback because those are usually the most pigmented shadows. However, this palette has kickback like no tomorrow. I feel like I'm wasting so much product whenever I dip my brush in because soooooo much of the product falls out. In the four months I have owned this palette I think I have only used it two or three times. I am also a huge fan of warm toned eye shadows but these just don't do it for me. The organgey shades turn up very similar on the eyes (which are the everyday colours) and I'm too scared to dip into the deeper colours because of the amount of fall out they produce! Not down to have bright red/pink shadow all over my cheeks!

I also HATE the packaging. This has to be one of the worst packaging for cosmetics I have ever seen (and I am a huge fan of anythink pink). But the velvet texture on the outside of the palette picks up EVERYTHING and will not come off. This is especially problematic since there is so much kickback in the eye shadows and it all just stick to the outside of the palette making it look really dirty and gross.

I seriously do not understand why this palette is so overrated. I may have enjoyed it more if I did not go in with such high expectations. It is an okay palette that I will use a few times a year, but no where near a holy grail product that is in constant use.

Unfortunately the Mario palette (my fav) is no longer available, but my current favourite palette that is in stock is the Tartelette In Bloom palette by tarte, it's the perfect palette from day to night!

on 1/5/2017 1:41:00 PM

This palette is some kind of beautiful, it's true. The colour selection is rich and warm and cohesive and awesome. The eye shadows are soft and creamy and incredibly pigmented, and they blend really exceptionally well.

I have a couple of main gripes though. My top gripe is that these eye shadows crease and fade noticeably more on me than other formulas, both drugstore and high end. No matter which eye primer I use, my eye look is pretty messed a few hours later. :/ So if you're prone to creasing and fading, I would not recommend this palette.

Second gripe: the blender end of the eye shadow brush is total scratchy trash. They could at least put something usable in there.

Two other gripes: you don't get a lot of product in this palette compared to many other palettes of a similar price, and you get a lot of powder kick-up in the pan when you put your brush in there.

So I have mixed feelings about this palette, but I won't repurchase and I can't recommend this to others due to the creasing. Oh well! :/

UPDATE: Any eye shadow look I do with these shadows starts to fade and crease instantly and it totally creased and messed within a couple hours. What is the point of wearing it then? Definite regret! I removed another lippie from my overall rating.

on 8/12/2016 4:52:00 PM

I really wanted to love this palette, all the great reviews and looks I had seen with it. I debated getting it cause I already have the Violet Voss Holly Grail Palette but there were several yellow and warm brown colors this palette has the Violet Voss does not so I got it. i tried several times to give this palette another shot but the quality is probably the worst of any palette I own and I own many drugstore and pro palettes. The matte colors that I bought the palette for are so chalky and have so much fall out. Maybe because I got the Violet Voss first that i expect it to live up to that one. I just was so disappointed by the quality of the shadows and do not see the hype of this palette. I would not recommend it to anyone. I do not own any other ABH palettes to compare it to.

on 1/4/2018 7:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had waited forever to buy this palette and finally splurged when it went on sale. I was going back and forth between this palette, UD Naked Heat or both ever since they came out. Finally for Christmas, I let myself get this. The colors are so pretty, the texture felt very nice and pigmented and there is an impressive matte selection. My problem was the colors on me. Most of MUA recommended this over HEAT for me. But the more I played with the MR colors there were a few issues. First, I am not great with eye makeup, but everything kept muddying together...is it me or the palette? Second, these shadows wore me. I love shades like MAC Cranberry so I thought this palette would work, but these shades came off, maybe too warm for the browns, just not good on my nw20, deep winter complexion, 3n hair and brown eyes with some hazel to them (dark under eye circles too). I tried every which way to enjoy this palette, but I never smiled once after putting on a shade. I always thought, "How can I make this work?". The people I have seen this look best on have more of a golden complexion IMO. I could make some looks work, but it took work. I was not having fun with this palette. I had the same issue I had with the Lorac Pro Matte palette with the shadows feeling soft and velvety but just muddying up on me. So this is a pretty palette and if you can work easily with the colors, gorgeous. But it just did not get along with me very well.

Sidenote: I did pick up the UD Naked Heat palette later to try. Everyone kept saying it wouldn't work on me, but a few peeps with hazel eyes said they loved it (who were my complexion). It does come off a bit warm, but not weird warm like MR did on me. It gives me a peaches and cream look when I wear the softer shades. The bolder, deeper shades give me a gorgeous bronze smokey eye like I have never been able to pull off with true "smokey" gray/black, brown shades. If you like shades like MAC Embark and Antiqued...I think you will like Heat. I will write a full review later when I have played with it longer, but it seems to sit on me easier than MR. It has also made me smile more and been easier to work with on me than MR was. I just wish I had bought the UD during the sale instead. :(

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This palette was so hyped up that I decided to hop onto the bandwagon. I bought MR in April 2017, and fastforward , 6 months later, I have only used it like 3 times.The first time I used this palette, the powder kickback was so bad that it turned me off straightaway. (for your reference , I used Zoeva No.221 brush. ) I felt like I am losing more product due to the kickback and fall out than the amount used on my eyes. I like how blendable these eyeshadows are, but I really can't stand the fallout and kickback.

on 4/21/2017 9:51:00 AM

These colors are very pretty, they are creamy and blend well and look fantastic on. However I get alot of fallout from this palette which is disappointing because I really love these colors but I find myself reaching for other shadows instead that dont fall on my face

on 4/5/2017 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my first palette from AOBH. I wanted to try something a bit more different than the everyday nudes I wear, like the Urban Decay Naked 2 & Naked Basics, respectfully. The quality of the pigmentation is impressive. I find the product similar to NARS shadows. Although, I really don't like the felt packaging. I feel that as soon as I put pallette in my makeup case, it's going to get so disgusting.The Buon Fresco, Primavera, Vermier and Antique bronze are absolutely stunning. However, I highly doubt I will ever wear Love Letter and Venetian Red. Overall, this is a great buy for those who is looking for something a little more adventurous and really likes to play up the eye.

on 9/23/2016 5:12:00 PM

At first I adored this palette- the colours are perfect for summer, the buttery formula applied amazingly and the pigment...a whole nother level !!
My only hesitation though, (and something no one told me about), was the longevity of bright colour vibrancy- and the fade factor which occurs hours after. While each every shade is bright and vibrant upon application, they faded a significant amount in just a short period of time- (I'm talking 2hrs max here). Longevity is a major factor when it comes to product purchase and for this reason exactly I will not be buying this product again.

on 4/12/2018 11:22:00 PM

My relationship with ABH eyeshadows has been an iffy one. The quality is great. Packaging average. Price too high, imo. There are so many amazing dupes now, I can't justify the price. The color selection is nice, but incredibly common. I've purchased 3 ABH palettes. I've returned them all. Not bc they are bad but because they don't blow me away for the price tag. I think they are worth a try if the price doesn't bother you. If you ballin' on a budget, get a dupe. I like the Makeup Revolution and WetnWild dupes.

Pros:
Pretty variety of colors
Decent brush included
Sturdy packaging
Great pigment and quality
Cons:
Packaging gets dirty easy
Easily duped
A good bit of fallout (doesn't bother me tho)

I'd give it a 3.5. Nice but not mind blowing.