Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Anastasia Of Beverly Hills  Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.5

love the pigment of the shadows. don't be concerned with the fallout it's worth it with the amount of pigment. packaging is velvet which feels lux at first but gets dirty fast :/

on 1/8/2018 2:46:00 PM

This was a gift from my husband. The salesperson steered him to this palette and I am so happy he did. I love how pigmented the colors are. What you see is what you get. They blend well and look fantastic on. Buy this palettte.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

Modern Renaissance contains fourteen shadows in a mix of eleven mattes, one satin and two metallics; Tempera [Velvety beige with an ultra-matte finish], Golden Ochre [Earthy yellow with an ultra-matte finish], Vermeer [Iridescent shell with a metallic finish], Buon Fresco [Antique lavender with an ultra-matte finish], Antique Bronze [Metallic sable with a satin finish], Love Letter [Raspberry with an ultra-matte finish], Cyprus Umber [Dark coffee with an ultra-matte finish], Realgar [Brick with an ultra-matte finish], Warm Taupe [Earthy gray with an ultra-matte finish], Venetian Red [Crimson with an ultra-matte finish], Red Ochre [Sienna with an ultra-matte finish], Primavera [shimmery gold dust with a metallic finish], Burnt Orange [deep orange with an ultra-matte finish] and Raw Sienna [neutral amber with an ultra-matte finish]. You also get a double-ended brush, with is surprisingly high quality and is something that I regularly use.
The shades Burnt Orange, Buon Fresco and Warm Taupe can be brought as individual shadows, and the other eleven shades can only be found in this palette.

This palette caught my eye because it is full of warm shades that will keep me happy all-year round and for every occasion; the matte to shimmer ratio is very practical, there are plenty of safer more 'everyday' neutral shades, but there are lovely bolder colour pops too, in my favourite shadow shades [pinky reds and orange]. The shadows all have fantastic pigmentation, everything is easy to blend & build up, and there's no heavy shimmer/glitter that doesn't adhere to skin and goes everywhere, plus everything is crease & fade resistant. I've not had any issues with shades muddying together or oxidizing to feedback - I believe those problems are being caused by people applying too much product and/or overblending the soft shadows. Speaking of soft shadow; there is kick-up with most of the shades in this palette when I dip my brushes into the pans, but that is something that never really bothers me as long as the powders apply and perform well, which these do.

I can't think of any complaints or niggles with Modern Renaissance - it's the only cosmetic product I've tried that has lived up to it's hype. At least it has for me, anyway.

on 1/4/2018 7:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had waited forever to buy this palette and finally splurged when it went on sale. I was going back and forth between this palette, UD Naked Heat or both ever since they came out. Finally for Christmas, I let myself get this. The colors are so pretty, the texture felt very nice and pigmented and there is an impressive matte selection. My problem was the colors on me. Most of MUA recommended this over HEAT for me. But the more I played with the MR colors there were a few issues. First, I am not great with eye makeup, but everything kept muddying together...is it me or the palette? Second, these shadows wore me. I love shades like MAC Cranberry so I thought this palette would work, but these shades came off, maybe too warm for the browns, just not good on my nw20, deep winter complexion, 3n hair and brown eyes with some hazel to them (dark under eye circles too). I tried every which way to enjoy this palette, but I never smiled once after putting on a shade. I always thought, "How can I make this work?". The people I have seen this look best on have more of a golden complexion IMO. I could make some looks work, but it took work. I was not having fun with this palette. I had the same issue I had with the Lorac Pro Matte palette with the shadows feeling soft and velvety but just muddying up on me. So this is a pretty palette and if you can work easily with the colors, gorgeous. But it just did not get along with me very well.

Sidenote: I did pick up the UD Naked Heat palette later to try. Everyone kept saying it wouldn't work on me, but a few peeps with hazel eyes said they loved it (who were my complexion). It does come off a bit warm, but not weird warm like MR did on me. It gives me a peaches and cream look when I wear the softer shades. The bolder, deeper shades give me a gorgeous bronze smokey eye like I have never been able to pull off with true "smokey" gray/black, brown shades. If you like shades like MAC Embark and Antiqued...I think you will like Heat. I will write a full review later when I have played with it longer, but it seems to sit on me easier than MR. It has also made me smile more and been easier to work with on me than MR was. I just wish I had bought the UD during the sale instead. :(

on 1/1/2018 8:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Deciding to buy this palette was one of the best choices of my life
It's been years that I'm a perfume junkie,recently my addiction to buy and collect has expanded so that I can't also resist makeup palettes and lipsticks.in this month I purchased two the balm palettes,two tartes,a lancome and now this babe..I was hesitant about this one.it's very expensive,65$ in my country,and I'm on a budget,and some shades of this palette seemed to be useless for me.at the first place I didn't know which one to choose among this one,subculture and prisme.after reading negative reviews of subculture it was omitted from my list.I also thought it's shades are better suited for girls with green,hazel eyes not me with dark brown,almost black eyes.though Deciding between MR and prisme wasn't as easy.prisme has couple of very unique and interesting shades which caught my eyes but MR seemed better option for daily makeup.finally I chose MR and decided to add prisme to my collection whenever I be on a better financial situation
I was sure I'm not going to use couple of shades on MR palette.actually I bought it just for it's first 8 shades (and because I was influenced by hype around this palette)but as soon as I received it and saw it in person,I knew that I'm going to use and enjoy every single shade.
If I could change something about this palette it would be "love letter" and "realgar"and change them with a dark burgundy,violet or plummy shade,still I'm going to use them,of course not as often as the others,but it's good to know that they're not totally useless for me.they're way better than what they looked in photos.not childish and flashy as they seemed to be
"red ochre" and "Venetian red"were the shades that surprised me the most.I thought I'm not going to like them but actually I love them! It's difficult to choose my favorite shade.I love them all(except love letter and realgar which I don't love but don't dislike either)
right now,"red ochre" "buon fresco" and "antique bronze" are my most used shades.all these shades go very well with my dark eyes and almost pale skin(mac NW15)
about it's packaging:this is an expensive palette and I expected it to be more luxurious.however I keep it inside it's package,it's getting dirty because it's made off suede.of course it also has some good points:it's not huge and is easy to carry.I like it's pale,dirty pink color.I like that shades have name in this palette(I can't love shadows with nameless pans),I like that it has a mirror and there's a clear sheet that covers the mirror so that shadows won't make it dirty.I also like that I can open and close it easily as it has magnet.what I most love about it,is that it comes with a double ended brush which is a good one
Shadows are soft,smooth and very pigmented and these are very important for me in eyeshadow palettes. they sit flawlessly on my lid.working with them is a pleasure.they all blend very well except the darkest color,I have difficulty blending it with other colors. I have to be very gentle,if not,shadows are going to kick off and I hate to see such a waste.there's also some fall out so I have to blow away,excessive powder on my brush before applying.also I'd better do my eye makeup before applying my foundation,I prefer viseversa but this is not a deal breaker for me because I like it's shades and they sit beautifully on lid and fall out is just a little(for me reddish shade have the most fallout).
I haven't tried it with primer yet,still it's longevity is satisfying.without any primer there was a faint touch of it left on my lids after 10hours(my lids are almost dry)I love that it doesn't turn to a dirty,muddy mess after long hours.in my case the shimmery shade fades and matte shades last,lighter but still have polished look.my lancome palette wins the price of most long-lasting eye shadows(after 12 hours my eye shadow is the same as first hour,without any primer)but that's I'd better write about in.an other review,unfortunately I can't because that lancome palette with six shades and a blush is not added to database yet)
I can't say ABH MR is my HG palette.I like my lancome,tarte and the balm palettes as much as this one and they're high quality too but ABH MR definitely was a very good purchase and I use it a lot and probably will repurchase it whenever I hit the pans,but this time I will try to buy it in a sale

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

THIS is the palette that got me addicted to highend products irrevocably. Anastasia has killed it with this palette. First of all, the color scheme of this product allows you to be as creative as you want; they all work perfect with eachother and create such unique combinations. The shades are predominantly mattes, which could be a plus for most, but also includes unique textures (for e.g. metallics with satin finish). They blend like no other eyeshadow out there and they require the minimal blend to look stunning. The pigmentation is again, fantastic. Even though you mix 3 or 4 colors in the look, you`d still be able to distinguish them individually. It can create stunning day to day eyelooks due to the variety of "soft" colors like Buon Fresco, Warm Taupe, Golden Ochre and Tempera, but it`s always the RIGHT choice to create more pinky/red full-glam looks. The product lasts for very long time, since you only need a little bit to obtain the effect desired, so it is the best investment you can make. It is the dream.
Everytime I buy a palette, I always compare it with the quality of Modern Rennaissance and I still haven`t found one that could be a competitor for it.
TIP: some of the shades could be bought individually from Anastasia Beverly Hills website if it happens to hit the pan and don`t want to purchase the entire palette again.

on 12/26/2017 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm not sure if I understand the hype with this palette. I don't find the colors cohesive and I feel like its not flattering with my brown eyes. I will not purchase.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This was one of my first high end palette I purchases and I would say it was a good one! The colors are perfect they add color to your eyeshadow routine without being to colorful. The pinks and berries and the beautiful red works well together or with the oranges which are perfect for transition colors. They are pigmented and more powdery and dry than creamy but they blend very nicely. I would definitely recommend this palette.

on 12/24/2017 12:30:00 PM

I really didn't have much interest in this all year, mostly because I went crazy this year and have purchased at least 10 or 12 palettes(shameful!)... I picked it up this week on sale, and really am pleased with it...the shades are buttery, pigmented, and there are a lot of looks that can be created. It's a nice addition to my collection, and I definitely recommend... I really want to give it 3.5 stars just based on packaging alone lol, but I really can't because the shadows are fab .. I do love Anastasia products, but man their packaging is so cheap looking, especially for the price..I expect Morphe or Colour Pop to have cheap packaging based on their price point... No one beats Tarte for beautiful/luxe packaging.

on 12/10/2017 10:03:00 PM

The Modern Renaissance is one of my most-used palettes. The pinks and reds are a nice way of adding colours to an everyday look. Antique Bronze is a well loved shade as it is the perfect colour to deepen the outer V (&raw sienna is also used as my transition shade).
For my NC25-30 skin-tone, I don't tend to use the 'Tempera', 'Golden Ochre' and 'Buon Fresco' as they barely show up on me and/or look dirty on my eyelids. This is a rather powdery palette but if applied slowly and in the steps of: 'grab a little bit of pigment, press onto lid, blend, add a bit more pigment, press onto lid, blend' you can easily build it up to your desired look. It is very fun to play with however I do only tend to use 5/6 of the shades. I find that 'Venetian Red' is just a mixture of 'Love Letter' and 'Red Ochre' and so I don't tend to use it. I do like the sleek packaging, however it does collect dirt and much of the kickback from the powdery-ness of the shadows. The brush is standard but gets dirty very quickly. Nice to have a mirror but I don't tend to use it. I like the shimmery shades 'Primavera' and 'Vermeer' as a highlighting the inner corner shade.