Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Anastasia Of Beverly Hills  Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.3

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

NEW BATCHES AS BAD AS SUBCULTURE?? The original Renaissance palettes were great it seems but quality of the latest batches may have dropped to the match the new Subculture palette. At least mine and one other youtubers are super powdery and not as good as the original releases. Perhaps because of they have shifted production of both palettes to a bigger factory with new pressing machines that aren't working properly (according to Norvina 's explanations from ABH)

I got mine recently from Sephora and when I opened it there was powder all over the inside of the lid and I had to go and clean it up. I actually thought they sent me a used one at first! I just saw a Youtuber "Here for the Tea" who had the same experience and she thinks the Modern Renaissance batches are being rushed out carelessly in the same way as the Subculture palette to turn out the numbers and prepare ABH for sale. In the same way that Too Faced went downhill just before they sold to Estee Lauder. If you're interested I'll put her video link below.

I think this palette is made to swatch well (it does) and appeal to young girls who don't mind thickly caking on the makeup and closely follow social media trends (it satisfies that too). But it doesn't work well on my actual eyes for the price.

The matte shadows are so extremely powdery loosely pressed that they kick up so much powder everywhere. And yes, I know to use a firm not a fluffy brush to minimise fallout so its not me. (I dislike the way the owner, Norvina blamed customers for application issues, we know how to apply makeup!) Its so powdery it some always manages to get into my eyes and irritate them. I end up so much with fallout on my cheeks I have to cleanse my face after doing my eyes. Then don't layer well. When I blend them over each other I can't build up pigment to intensity I want. The shimmers are better but look thick and unflattering on the delicate thin skin of my older eyes and highlight my crepey lids.

I much prefer the light feeling texture, look, ease of use, easier blending, and better pigmentation I get out of my current (large) collection of Lancome, Tarte, Avon, Dior, Urban Decay and so on. I also have a professional Ben Nye pressed pigment palette which is more pigmented, smoother and the colors show up brighter and more intensely on my eyes.

Quality aside, I like the colors aren't versatile for my coloring (extremely fair yellow toned skin, blue eyes, dark ash blonde hair). Yes there are some bright colors but they are muted and look muddy someone with my coloring. Most of the shades are mid-toned with a murky ashy undertone. The only one light enough for a highlight is a frosty cool light pink which looks dated and unflattering on me. I have to bring in a matte cream to make this work. And there is only one deep shade (top right, Cypress Umber) that is deep or pigmented enough to give me some definition. Thats ok for a soft day look, but for intense night looks I need to bring in a dark color from another palette, or, pile on the black liquid liner and tons of mascara to get the intensity I want. I do think they are best suited for light/medium skin and deeper. I don't think the quality matches the price tag ($75 in my country and NO returns allowed.) I totally regret buying this.

on 6/26/2017 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I liked this palette, I didn't love it.

The shadows are soft, and smooth and blend nice. But you have to work quickly with them, because they're very staining.

Also, the reds and pink are very pigmented, so this palette is for someone who is comfortable being "out there" with their makeup. I personally never touch the reds and pink, because it's too bright for everyday wear to the office. And I tend not to wear a lot of makeup on weekends as I like to give my skin, especially my eyelids a break, otherwise I start getting eyelid eczema.

Because I have very sensitive skin, this palette made me breakout in the worst eye area (on the lid, and on my under eye area!) I have ever experienced. I had to go to the dermatologist to get a steroid cream to get rid of the eczema. Obviously, this will not be a problem for everyone. The ladies at Ulta told me reds and purples can be problematic for a lot of people due to carmine in the ingredients.

Anyway, I am not super bummed about it because in general, this palette wasn't subdued and neutral enough for me. I did love that it had so many mattes, though.

on 3/19/2017 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

The shadows are super pigmented and easy to blend, and the colours are so pretty! For the quality and amount of product, the price is very reasonable, as it also comes with a dual ended brush which is great quality as well. Such a good product!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is an amazing palette- the quality is on par with my MUFE artist shadows and Viseart palettes. The mattes are easy to blend and the shimmers are buttery and intense. I can get a tiny bit of fallout with the deeper shades but it's not that bad. Versatile- I can do a dramatic look or a natural daytime eye. It's one of those rare palettes- I love and use every shade, no duds. It has good transition shades, crease shades, liner/ outer V shades. It's all inclusive and I don't have to reach for another palette when doing a look with this. Love it!

on 2/23/2017 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love the eyeshadows, both the texture and the colors. However, I have already hit pan on one of them, after only a month of use, and the brush broke in two after a couple of weeks.

on 2/18/2017 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I'm loving the colours! The only problem is-- it's actually not creamy- the way most describe it to be. Yup, it's more chalky. I will try the tarte palette next but I still love this palette, I just combine bobbi browns shadows for a less chalky look. Bobbi brown saves the day! Still give 4/5

on 12/17/2016 6:35:00 AM

After hearing a lot of good reviews about ABH eyeshadows I thought I'd try the modern renaissance palette and when it arrived i was in love with the packaging first of all, it has like suede on the top lid in a lilac/mauve colour which is one of my favourite colours. Comes complete with a double ended brush with a fluffy end and a shader although I'm not entirely sure if I like it yet as it feels cheap but it does the job. The eyeshadows though, have a good selection of colours with deep purple/burgundy, brown and gold shades in matte and shimmer. They apply very well and I was amazed at how easy they were to blend without even trying. I haven't tried every single shadow yet but the ones I have used have very good colour payoff. I haven't got a bad thing to say about the palette at all and I would actually consider buying more ABH shadows now because it's quite hard to find good eyeshadows that blend this well unless you go for the more expensive palettes but that's just my opinion. I have quite a few different palettes from other brands and this is now one of my favourites for ease of use especially if your in a hurry and don't want to spend forever and a day blending and perfecting a smokey eye so yes I would recommend this. However, I don't know how it compares to other ABH palettes as I've never tried the others but definitely worth the money.

on 8/16/2016 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This pallette is absolutely stunning. All the colors are beautiful, highly pigmented and soft as butter. With the right brushes, this is a fail proof eyeshadow, but it requires a bit of restraint on behalf of the user. Intense reds, buxom browns, I mean holy crap, this is a fabulous palette.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I cannot put into words how much I love this palette, but I'm going to try.
First of all, let's talk about the pigmentation. Anastasia is not playing around, folks. It is super intense, even the lighter shades. A little goes a VERY long way. And it's awesomely buildable too, not that you really need to build it up too much though.

The formula is so buttery smooth and blendable. I'm serious, every single shade goes on so smoothly that it takes me half the time it used to to apply my eyeshadow when I use this palette. The only shade that requires a little more blending than the others is Cyprus Umber. That being said, it is not difficult to blend by any means, just a little less easy than the other shades. I find all of the shades to be long-wearing.

Colours are great. Mostly warm tones. They all go so nicely together and you can create any kind of look from natural daily wear, to dramatic nighttime looks - so versatile. Not one bit chalky, either. I also love that these shades are mostly matte, so there are tons of shadows you can use as transitions/crease colours.

Packaging is ok. Aesthetically pleasing, compact, sturdy. The velvet is cute but definitely gets dirty quickly. Comes with a nice, decently sized mirror and a surprisingly good quality double ended brush.

Price was $55 CAD on Sephora.ca so it's definitely a bit of an investment. But when you think of it this way, you're getting 14 high-quality shadows and a nice brush. If you were to buy 14 separate shades and a brush from the drugstore, you'd be spending way more than $55, without getting anywhere near the quality that you get with Modern Renaissance.

As other reviewers have mentioned, dipping your brush into the pans can loosen up a bit of shadow, creating dust. However, I think that this powderiness might be the reason it blends so easily. I have not found this loosening effect to waste too much product/leave dents in the pans, and fallout is not a problem if you simply tap your brush to release excess powder.

Great palette that is totally worth the price. I'm in love!