Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.4

on 2/8/2018 2:56:00 PM

Do you like cranberry eyeshadow?

Do you like warm midtone mattes? And appreciate a bunch all in one place?

I can see why this palette has mass appeal. But I swear this is the most overhyped thing..

There's two shimmers and one satin shade. The rest are matte. If you appreciate shimmers in a palette (and I do) be forewarned these SUCK!

All the work was put into the matte shades and the shimmers just seemed like a gratuitous add on w no thought in quality what-so-ever. They blended away if applied dry. They needed to be applied wet (NEEDED to be applied wet) just to show up at all. Then if you wanted to build them up-- impossible. The second layer took off the first layer. So annoying!!

Tempura, the satin shade was better in quality compared to the gold and champagne shimmer shade (names escape me). And that's not to mention they're literally the same kind of shades found in every palette ever-- a pale gold and a pinky/peachy toned champagne reminiscent of UD sin... yawn.

No black and one deepish toned warm brown-- so to add depth to any look you are confined to Cyprus umber-- so that doesn't leave a lot of versatility-- it isn't that deep of a shade and again, there's only one shade like that. I hated having to reach for it to deepen up every single last look bc the end result was just always the same.

I couldn't get inspired to use this palette. I would try to make neutral looks. None of the mattes seemed to work on the lid-- the shimmers were unusable. So it's like I'd put tempura on the lid--- try to add some dimension w the mattes. Or foil the shimmers to make them usable. It was always more work than it was worth. Instead of 2-3 shades I'd reach for 6 shades just to make something look cohesive and dimensional. Then they'd all just end up blending together. The shadows didn't fade, but they just blended. I never felt like I had a good makeup day when I tried it.

I returned it just under the 60 days and I was so grateful I didn't wind up keeping it.

on 12/26/2017 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm not sure if I understand the hype with this palette. I don't find the colors cohesive and I feel like its not flattering with my brown eyes. I will not purchase.

on 6/23/2017 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I can't see when I'd ever run out of this palette to warrant a repurchase, but if for some reason that happened, then I would. It's just so beautiful and all the colours work together and there are a lot of looks that you can make from the shade selection. Really beautiful formula, definitely for intermediate makeup users (I'm a beginner) as the learning curve is slightly steep using these colours and formula - but I am always happy to play and learn. Beautiful palette.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

The formula of this is like everyone says it is, very soft and has a lot of kickback which means if your too hard on it a lot of powder is gonna go to waste and you'll go through it a lot faster.
Use a flat brush or a more dense brush to pick up the color though and of course be gentle and there's almost zero fallout. Use a fluffy brush or a crease brush and you'll get quite a bit.

The brush included is decent, the fluffy or blending side is a little scratchy but it's okay, the other side though is fantastic. I absolutely love it and I'm really glad I got this palette not just for the shades but because I don't have to spend money on a flat (but not too flat) eyeshadow brush.

The colors are very easy to blend, and pigmented enough that they don't become one color if you blend a lot although I could see that eventually happening.

Also very very pigmented. You do not need much and it is nice for darker skinned women in that sense I would imagine. ABH always looks out for everyone it seems that's why I love them, along with knowing I'm not using a product tested on animals (I don't solely buy cruelty free but I try to. Might as well show companies we do care about this stuff right.)

The Venetian red and love letter are super pretty, they're berry brown tones but leaning way more towards the berry side. Looks pretty good actually even though I don't really like those colors in shadows although I do have to add other colors so it doesn't look off to me (I tend to gravitate towards cooler taupes and browns anyway, even orangey shadows I'm iffy about). Speaking of orange shadows, the ones in here are the only ones that actually look nice on me for once. So that's a huge plus.

Continuing on about the actual colors of the shadows, I believe the top row leans more cool ish (or at least not as warm) and the bottom is more warm. You can definitely tell by looking at the shimmer colors as the bottom one is more golden. The top shimmer color I absolutely adore, perfect inner highlight shade and I never used to use inner highlight shades. The brush may help as the flat side is perfect to add that.

And despite any differences in undertones they still look good together. Super easy to throw together a look with this palette and easy to add more colors as well which is a huge plus to me as I've never had that with my other palettes.

I usually wear this with the essence primer and it lasts pretty well, a tiny bit of fading after a few hours but nothing major that doesn't happen with other shadows I've tried at similiar price points.

on 3/9/2017 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a truly beautiful palette, and all the hype about it is justified!

The shadows are gorgeous and inspired by colors found in Victorian-era paintings. The name and soft velvet case add to the allure and I find this palette to be "enchanting" if that makes sense. Let's be honest, when something comes in pretty packaging, it's that much more exciting to use!

The colors are unique and very warm. There are reds, burnt pinks and oranges, umbers, taupe, and gold. All the colors compliment each other in some way and while not all are wearable in a work setting, they'd be great for going out. I can't wait to wear the warm orange and red tones in the summer.

The consistency is smooth but powdery, so there is a lot of fallout as others have mentioned. Because the colors are so pigmented, I don't feel the need to do much more than dab these with a brush anyhow, so I have pretty minimal issues it. Still, I had to give the overall score a 4/5 for this reason.

I'm happy with this purchase overall and would recommend getting it if you've been considering it.

on 3/8/2017 2:27:00 PM

I ordered this as soon as it was released last summer. The colors, the names of the shades and the palette itself, I just had to have it. I think my problem is I feel like I need to be the 1st one to have things and just have to add things to my collection, even if I'm not necessarily going to use them often. Maybe one day i'll learn. Anyways, regardless of the fact I don't use this that often, it is beautiful and I do love it. I don't go out a lot and I wear glasses, so I think I shy away from experimental makeup for this reason. My favorite shades, the only ones I've really used are vermeer, warm taupe and buon fresco. I loveeee warm taupe in the crease and vermeer on the lid. Beautiful. I was surprised I didn't have anything like vermeer in my collection. I got scared to use it, though, because I didn't want to run out but found a dupe in morphe pressed pigment- champagne nights. My usual everyday look is a shimmery cream on the brow bone, nude on the lid and a light brown on the crease. I switched it up and used buon fresco one day instead of brown and loved it, it's so subtle but just beautiful, esp since I have green eyes. Red ochre, venetian red and love letter are all gorgeous and I need to really try and use these. I'm thinking love letter will be even better in the summer with a tan and venetian red maybe under the eye smoked out with a neutral lid will look cool. Goloden ochre is so strange, but in a good way. Another one I need to really try. The colors are all very on trend, the warm browns and oranges and reds/pinks mixed with some more basic neutrals. Shades are nice, creamy, easy to work with and blend. I'm hoping that once I finally get contacts i'll be more willing to create cool eye looks (i've seen so many beautiful ones with this palette) but for now with glasses I just feel like you can't really tell or it makes my eyes look smaller. Overall I am glad I have this palette and think I would repurchase if I ever ran out. Also, I love the color of the palette. I know some people say the material bothers them but I've kept the box and always put it back in once i'm done with the palette. I think this would be a nice starter palette for someone, too. Loads of neutrals in a good formula, 14 shades, with some pops of colors and current trend shades. I think worth $42.

on 10/20/2016 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I love this palette. It's a lovely addition to a collection if you're lacking in warm toned palettes, or if you simply just love warm toned eyeshadows! The pigmentation is beautiful. The only downside to this palette is that the two light shimmery shades (vermeer & primavera) are extremely similar, and are frankly, not that good. They're weirdly chalky. They still work, but are very powdery and don't come across as shimmery as I'd like. Another thing is that Love Letter & Venetian Red look almost identical. They could've easily added something more unique. The last issue that I have is that the packaging gets dirty extremely easily and looks hideous if you use it regularly!

I just love half of the colors and will probably never use the other half... it's still worth it for the price but I think it's weird they chose to put all of those colors together.

on 8/5/2016 11:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

***I only indicated that I wouldn't repurchase this because I never repurchase palettes (i've never finished one tbh).***

I absolutely love this palette. It's got way more pigment than the Self Made palette, which was a sour disappointment. It is so buttery soft and pigmented, dare I say, more smooth and buttery than the Lorac Pro palettes and/or the Too Faced palettes. All of these shades are so beautifu and unique, and glide on effortlessly. I ABSOLUTELY HATE the felt packaging though, I've had this a week and it already looks dingy and gross :(

on 6/27/2016 12:32:00 PM

I wanted this pallet the minute I saw it. I was attracted like a moth to the flame. I have been disappointed with other brands releases for summer and fall so I felt justified in purchasing this.

The FORMULATION of the eyeshadows found in the Modern Renaissance pallet is beautiful. The shadows are soft and creamy texture wise, reminding me of the formulation of Lorac, Makeup Forever or Natasha Denona. Modern Renaissance is the first eye shadow pallet I have purchased from ABH; therefore, I can't really compare the quality of the shadows to previous brand releases. The eyeshadows apply, blend so easily and look fresh after a full day of wear and they are true to pan on the lids.

Usually I write a pro's and con's but with this palette I really don't have enough to complain about. The worst crime ABH has committed in creating this pallet is with the packaging. In my opinion, the PACKAGING doesn't really fit the theme "modern renaissance" and I think they could have done a lot more. Also, to state the obvious, the fuzz is a dirt attractor. I depotted the Naked 1 for this reason and then rarely used it after. I also dislike the brush. In one sense it feels cheep and then in another it feels like a step up. Either way it feels drugstore synthetic and I prefer the animal hairs in general for eyeshadow.

The SHADE RANGE is quite beautiful and was love at first site. Individually, similar shades can be found in other pallets but to have them all together in such a shade range is what really makes this pallet unique. I can get a diversity of more natural shades but also a diversity of vibrant looks and even over the top looks.

Obvious DUPE is Lime Crime's Venus pallet. ABH's formula is far superior and the shadows are more finely milled and creamier; however, if you prefer a dryer shadow formulation then check out Venus. None of the shadows are exact shades dupes but close variations of every shadow in the Venus, except for Shell, can be found in Modern Renaissance. Modern Renaissance offers more diversity in shades and thus can range from a more wearable to an over the top look.

If your looking through all of these reviews trying to decide if this is a need, I say take the dive. This pallet is very different. I am enabling you to do it!