Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Anastasia Of Beverly Hills  Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.6

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

In recent years I have significantly limited the number of eyeshadow palettes I have purchased. My rule is I have to like and use every color in the palette. Frequently I'll love one shade and want to buy a palette for that. For this one, I really wanted Red Ochre. But then I started wanting more shades and found myself trying to purchase and dupe several shades. Finally I admitted to myself it would be cheaper to just buy the palette. So about March of this year I finally bit the bullet and got it. I love this palette. This has been so useful. I am shocked at how well it works for every day looks. I love the brighter reds to warm up the crease or transform other shades to make it interesting. I love that there are several shades that are one and done on the lid. I love that it has a good browbone shade and a liner shade. The two shimmery shades are a classic pink and gold and both are amazing. The orange is soooo fun to work with!! This palette has everything and I don't need to reach for other palettes to complete looks, which I love. I could use this every day.
My cons are that the velvet can get messy. I treat this palette very carefully because you can't really clean it. Also, the shades are very powdery. I only ever dab my brush into the palette. When I keep application very soft I don't get fall out. But you can easily have a mess. I've never dropped this palette but I'm afraid to test how fragile it is. So I'd love to take it traveling but I'm afraid to lest it be shattered.
I do have the subculture palette. And I have to say that I don't think subculture is any more powdery. I'm waiting to try a few more looks before I review that one, but so far I love it. I personally am applying both palettes the same way (very delicately because they are exceedingly soft shadows) and I have had no issues blending.
Over all, if I were talking to someone who has some experience with makeup and likes to play, I would definitely recommend Modern Renaissance. I have several sisters and a mother who only use very traditional eyeshadow and I would never recommend this to them. None of them would have the slightest idea of how to use it. This palette is not for everyone, but I do think it's for anyone bothering to read reviews on Makeup Alley.

on 6/23/2017 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I can't see when I'd ever run out of this palette to warrant a repurchase, but if for some reason that happened, then I would. It's just so beautiful and all the colours work together and there are a lot of looks that you can make from the shade selection. Really beautiful formula, definitely for intermediate makeup users (I'm a beginner) as the learning curve is slightly steep using these colours and formula - but I am always happy to play and learn. Beautiful palette.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

How have i not written a review for this yet? This is my top favourite e/s palette I have ever owned to date. The colours are extremely flattering on my fair-light neutral complexion and they all blend like a dream.

The texture is very creamy and pigmented but does kick up some powder. I find I can get away with just literally touching my brush in ever so gently so I don't get powder everywhere and it's still really well pigmented. The brush it comes with is pretty decent but I prefer a bigger fluffier crease brush (NYX) for these. I use more of the matte shades, but the shimmers are also really nice.

Highly recommend for any avid makeup-applier, might have a bit of a learning curve for beginners.

One of the best eyeshadow palette that I have. The colour is so pigmented a little goes a long way I'm not joking. The powder is sooo soft and hardly use any primer. It just sticks to ur skin like butter. Blending also very easy.
There are only two downsides for me. First, it has a lot of fallout especially when I use crease brush, such a waste. Secondly, the velvet packaging. It is so nice to the touch but it kept everything sticks to it. Overall it's a nice product worth the hype.

on 4/23/2017 12:18:00 PM

This is an amazing palette. It is really pigmented and the colours pack a punch, a little goes a long way! It is very blendable and long lasting. This is great for bold or neutral looks and works well with other palettes. I'm not crazy about the velvet packaging though because it gets dirty very quickly, and when I tried to clean it, the velvet rubbed off.

Absolute favorite palette, ever. I use every shade, and it's never disappointed me. I can't believe how wearable all that red is! And it blends like a dream, the shimmers are so creamy and the mattes are butter! ABH is probably my favorite make-up company right now, I love everything I've tried from them. It's a great deal for 14 shades, and a little goes a long way.

I was on the fence about purchasing this for a few months. Recently, a dear friend of mine has this palette and was kind enough to let me try it. That's all it took. I was immediately in love. The colours are beautifully pigmented and stay in place very well. They're blendable and buttery soft. The shades within the palette are so unique. I'm so thrilled with this palette. I'd buy this over and over again.

THIS IS SO GOOD. I suck at eyeshadow and these make my life so much easier. There's a good amount of matte shades and theres 2 shimmer shades that are really nice for the inner corner or just on the lid. Realgar is a really special shade in my opinion too because I don't think I've ever seen that type of orangey tan type of colour. You can really make so many looks out of this and they're probably all going to look good. The brush in this palette really isn't bad at all and I use it pretty often. The packaging is a little messy just because the outside velvet part of it collects a lot of dust and gets stained easily. These shadows also have a lot of fallout but I'm not too bothered by that. Just tap off the excess and you should be good. Other than that, this is really good for people who aren't super good at eyeshadow and those who aren't sure what colours look good together.

on 3/9/2017 12:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a truly beautiful palette, and all the hype about it is justified!

The shadows are gorgeous and inspired by colors found in Victorian-era paintings. The name and soft velvet case add to the allure and I find this palette to be "enchanting" if that makes sense. Let's be honest, when something comes in pretty packaging, it's that much more exciting to use!

The colors are unique and very warm. There are reds, burnt pinks and oranges, umbers, taupe, and gold. All the colors compliment each other in some way and while not all are wearable in a work setting, they'd be great for going out. I can't wait to wear the warm orange and red tones in the summer.

The consistency is smooth but powdery, so there is a lot of fallout as others have mentioned. Because the colors are so pigmented, I don't feel the need to do much more than dab these with a brush anyhow, so I have pretty minimal issues it. Still, I had to give the overall score a 4/5 for this reason.

I'm happy with this purchase overall and would recommend getting it if you've been considering it.

on 3/8/2017 2:27:00 PM

I ordered this as soon as it was released last summer. The colors, the names of the shades and the palette itself, I just had to have it. I think my problem is I feel like I need to be the 1st one to have things and just have to add things to my collection, even if I'm not necessarily going to use them often. Maybe one day i'll learn. Anyways, regardless of the fact I don't use this that often, it is beautiful and I do love it. I don't go out a lot and I wear glasses, so I think I shy away from experimental makeup for this reason. My favorite shades, the only ones I've really used are vermeer, warm taupe and buon fresco. I loveeee warm taupe in the crease and vermeer on the lid. Beautiful. I was surprised I didn't have anything like vermeer in my collection. I got scared to use it, though, because I didn't want to run out but found a dupe in morphe pressed pigment- champagne nights. My usual everyday look is a shimmery cream on the brow bone, nude on the lid and a light brown on the crease. I switched it up and used buon fresco one day instead of brown and loved it, it's so subtle but just beautiful, esp since I have green eyes. Red ochre, venetian red and love letter are all gorgeous and I need to really try and use these. I'm thinking love letter will be even better in the summer with a tan and venetian red maybe under the eye smoked out with a neutral lid will look cool. Goloden ochre is so strange, but in a good way. Another one I need to really try. The colors are all very on trend, the warm browns and oranges and reds/pinks mixed with some more basic neutrals. Shades are nice, creamy, easy to work with and blend. I'm hoping that once I finally get contacts i'll be more willing to create cool eye looks (i've seen so many beautiful ones with this palette) but for now with glasses I just feel like you can't really tell or it makes my eyes look smaller. Overall I am glad I have this palette and think I would repurchase if I ever ran out. Also, I love the color of the palette. I know some people say the material bothers them but I've kept the box and always put it back in once i'm done with the palette. I think this would be a nice starter palette for someone, too. Loads of neutrals in a good formula, 14 shades, with some pops of colors and current trend shades. I think worth $42.