Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.4

Holy Grail pallet at the moment...I'm so in love. I've already created multiple looks with this. My favorite colors in the pallet so far are primavera and burnt orange...but I can create tons of looks with all the colors. They're easily blendable and very pigmented. I would describe the texture as velvety...definently not chalky at all. Whatever you do dip the brush in the eyeshadow.DO NOT SWIPE!!! Only concern i have is the fallout. Now let's talk packaging. I love it but it's velvet so I'm so scared to leave it out of the box because I have very furry animals and their hair sticks to everything. Anyway I swear by the pallet and it's definitely a staple in my collection.

on 3/29/2018 8:04:00 AM

LOVE!

on 2/8/2018 2:56:00 PM

Do you like cranberry eyeshadow?

Do you like warm midtone mattes? And appreciate a bunch all in one place?

I can see why this palette has mass appeal. But I swear this is the most overhyped thing..

There's two shimmers and one satin shade. The rest are matte. If you appreciate shimmers in a palette (and I do) be forewarned these SUCK!

All the work was put into the matte shades and the shimmers just seemed like a gratuitous add on w no thought in quality what-so-ever. They blended away if applied dry. They needed to be applied wet (NEEDED to be applied wet) just to show up at all. Then if you wanted to build them up-- impossible. The second layer took off the first layer. So annoying!!

Tempura, the satin shade was better in quality compared to the gold and champagne shimmer shade (names escape me). And that's not to mention they're literally the same kind of shades found in every palette ever-- a pale gold and a pinky/peachy toned champagne reminiscent of UD sin... yawn.

No black and one deepish toned warm brown-- so to add depth to any look you are confined to Cyprus umber-- so that doesn't leave a lot of versatility-- it isn't that deep of a shade and again, there's only one shade like that. I hated having to reach for it to deepen up every single last look bc the end result was just always the same.

I couldn't get inspired to use this palette. I would try to make neutral looks. None of the mattes seemed to work on the lid-- the shimmers were unusable. So it's like I'd put tempura on the lid--- try to add some dimension w the mattes. Or foil the shimmers to make them usable. It was always more work than it was worth. Instead of 2-3 shades I'd reach for 6 shades just to make something look cohesive and dimensional. Then they'd all just end up blending together. The shadows didn't fade, but they just blended. I never felt like I had a good makeup day when I tried it.

I returned it just under the 60 days and I was so grateful I didn't wind up keeping it.

on 12/26/2017 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I'm not sure if I understand the hype with this palette. I don't find the colors cohesive and I feel like its not flattering with my brown eyes. I will not purchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

In recent years I have significantly limited the number of eyeshadow palettes I have purchased. My rule is I have to like and use every color in the palette. Frequently I'll love one shade and want to buy a palette for that. For this one, I really wanted Red Ochre. But then I started wanting more shades and found myself trying to purchase and dupe several shades. Finally I admitted to myself it would be cheaper to just buy the palette. So about March of this year I finally bit the bullet and got it. I love this palette. This has been so useful. I am shocked at how well it works for every day looks. I love the brighter reds to warm up the crease or transform other shades to make it interesting. I love that there are several shades that are one and done on the lid. I love that it has a good browbone shade and a liner shade. The two shimmery shades are a classic pink and gold and both are amazing. The orange is soooo fun to work with!! This palette has everything and I don't need to reach for other palettes to complete looks, which I love. I could use this every day.
My cons are that the velvet can get messy. I treat this palette very carefully because you can't really clean it. Also, the shades are very powdery. I only ever dab my brush into the palette. When I keep application very soft I don't get fall out. But you can easily have a mess. I've never dropped this palette but I'm afraid to test how fragile it is. So I'd love to take it traveling but I'm afraid to lest it be shattered.
I do have the subculture palette. And I have to say that I don't think subculture is any more powdery. I'm waiting to try a few more looks before I review that one, but so far I love it. I personally am applying both palettes the same way (very delicately because they are exceedingly soft shadows) and I have had no issues blending.
Over all, if I were talking to someone who has some experience with makeup and likes to play, I would definitely recommend Modern Renaissance. I have several sisters and a mother who only use very traditional eyeshadow and I would never recommend this to them. None of them would have the slightest idea of how to use it. This palette is not for everyone, but I do think it's for anyone bothering to read reviews on Makeup Alley.

on 6/23/2017 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I can't see when I'd ever run out of this palette to warrant a repurchase, but if for some reason that happened, then I would. It's just so beautiful and all the colours work together and there are a lot of looks that you can make from the shade selection. Really beautiful formula, definitely for intermediate makeup users (I'm a beginner) as the learning curve is slightly steep using these colours and formula - but I am always happy to play and learn. Beautiful palette.

One of the best eyeshadow palette that I have. The colour is so pigmented a little goes a long way I'm not joking. The powder is sooo soft and hardly use any primer. It just sticks to ur skin like butter. Blending also very easy.
There are only two downsides for me. First, it has a lot of fallout especially when I use crease brush, such a waste. Secondly, the velvet packaging. It is so nice to the touch but it kept everything sticks to it. Overall it's a nice product worth the hype.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

The formula of this is like everyone says it is, very soft and has a lot of kickback which means if your too hard on it a lot of powder is gonna go to waste and you'll go through it a lot faster.
Use a flat brush or a more dense brush to pick up the color though and of course be gentle and there's almost zero fallout. Use a fluffy brush or a crease brush and you'll get quite a bit.

The brush included is decent, the fluffy or blending side is a little scratchy but it's okay, the other side though is fantastic. I absolutely love it and I'm really glad I got this palette not just for the shades but because I don't have to spend money on a flat (but not too flat) eyeshadow brush.

The colors are very easy to blend, and pigmented enough that they don't become one color if you blend a lot although I could see that eventually happening.

Also very very pigmented. You do not need much and it is nice for darker skinned women in that sense I would imagine. ABH always looks out for everyone it seems that's why I love them, along with knowing I'm not using a product tested on animals (I don't solely buy cruelty free but I try to. Might as well show companies we do care about this stuff right.)

The Venetian red and love letter are super pretty, they're berry brown tones but leaning way more towards the berry side. Looks pretty good actually even though I don't really like those colors in shadows although I do have to add other colors so it doesn't look off to me (I tend to gravitate towards cooler taupes and browns anyway, even orangey shadows I'm iffy about). Speaking of orange shadows, the ones in here are the only ones that actually look nice on me for once. So that's a huge plus.

Continuing on about the actual colors of the shadows, I believe the top row leans more cool ish (or at least not as warm) and the bottom is more warm. You can definitely tell by looking at the shimmer colors as the bottom one is more golden. The top shimmer color I absolutely adore, perfect inner highlight shade and I never used to use inner highlight shades. The brush may help as the flat side is perfect to add that.

And despite any differences in undertones they still look good together. Super easy to throw together a look with this palette and easy to add more colors as well which is a huge plus to me as I've never had that with my other palettes.

I usually wear this with the essence primer and it lasts pretty well, a tiny bit of fading after a few hours but nothing major that doesn't happen with other shadows I've tried at similiar price points.

on 4/23/2017 12:18:00 PM

This is an amazing palette. It is really pigmented and the colours pack a punch, a little goes a long way! It is very blendable and long lasting. This is great for bold or neutral looks and works well with other palettes. I'm not crazy about the velvet packaging though because it gets dirty very quickly, and when I tried to clean it, the velvet rubbed off.

Absolute favorite palette, ever. I use every shade, and it's never disappointed me. I can't believe how wearable all that red is! And it blends like a dream, the shimmers are so creamy and the mattes are butter! ABH is probably my favorite make-up company right now, I love everything I've tried from them. It's a great deal for 14 shades, and a little goes a long way.