Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

4.4

on 6/9/2017 10:28:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I waited many months for this palette to be restocked at Sephora and was thrilled when it finally was! I previously bought the Mario palette by ABH and fell in love with their formula! Upon first use of Modern Renaissance I was disappointed. I usually have no problem if eye shadows have some kickback because those are usually the most pigmented shadows. However, this palette has kickback like no tomorrow. I feel like I'm wasting so much product whenever I dip my brush in because soooooo much of the product falls out. In the four months I have owned this palette I think I have only used it two or three times. I am also a huge fan of warm toned eye shadows but these just don't do it for me. The organgey shades turn up very similar on the eyes (which are the everyday colours) and I'm too scared to dip into the deeper colours because of the amount of fall out they produce! Not down to have bright red/pink shadow all over my cheeks!

I also HATE the packaging. This has to be one of the worst packaging for cosmetics I have ever seen (and I am a huge fan of anythink pink). But the velvet texture on the outside of the palette picks up EVERYTHING and will not come off. This is especially problematic since there is so much kickback in the eye shadows and it all just stick to the outside of the palette making it look really dirty and gross.

I seriously do not understand why this palette is so overrated. I may have enjoyed it more if I did not go in with such high expectations. It is an okay palette that I will use a few times a year, but no where near a holy grail product that is in constant use.

Unfortunately the Mario palette (my fav) is no longer available, but my current favourite palette that is in stock is the Tartelette In Bloom palette by tarte, it's the perfect palette from day to night!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Because I was mad at myself for missing out on the ABH Self Made palette, I'd decided that, come hell or high water, I would get her next palette as they are such a good value, price-wise. I really wanted for this to be a fabulous purchase for me but I decided to try it out in-store and there are just so many colours in it that absolutely do not work for me and actually make me look BAAAD - as though I've had a serious allergic reaction to something. Red Ochre, Venetian Red and Love Letter are the worst, along with Burnt Orange and Realgar, but several of the other shadows are also too orange/red based to be wearable for me! I already have enough of these types of colours in a bunch of KvD and UD Vice palettes and they are all untouched, so I hardly needed more. I'm sure these shades look fabulous on people with different colouring from mine and different eye colours but for me - no thanks. I also noticed, as I was trying this palette, that some of the shadows seemed to kick up a fair bit of powder. I thought it was because it was the store tester or that the SA at Sephora was being heavy-handed with her brushes but now, reading some of the earlier reviews, I see this is a common complaint. I'm glad I took the time to try it in-store to avoid a costly mistake.

on 8/12/2016 4:52:00 PM

I really wanted to love this palette, all the great reviews and looks I had seen with it. I debated getting it cause I already have the Violet Voss Holly Grail Palette but there were several yellow and warm brown colors this palette has the Violet Voss does not so I got it. i tried several times to give this palette another shot but the quality is probably the worst of any palette I own and I own many drugstore and pro palettes. The matte colors that I bought the palette for are so chalky and have so much fall out. Maybe because I got the Violet Voss first that i expect it to live up to that one. I just was so disappointed by the quality of the shadows and do not see the hype of this palette. I would not recommend it to anyone. I do not own any other ABH palettes to compare it to.

I bought this palette when it first released, not realizing how hyped it was. I usually wait for reviews before buying but hey, there were red eye shadows and that was enough to grab my attention.
First off, the packaging is a miss. I like the light pink but the velvet like texture gets dirty fast. It's not the easiest to clean either.
Second, the brush was a miss. The smaller shadow brush is fine. It's soft, works well enough. But the fluffier blending side is so scratchy. It's not even usable! I like getting brushes with palettes if they are good. In this case I say drop the brush and knock off a couple bucks to the price tag.
Lastly, the shadow quality is good. The shimmers are not as intense and metallic as I prefer. In a lot of youtube tutorials you see people foiling them with setting spray to get maximum payoff. The mattes are better. Smooth and pigmented. I usually bring in another palette to use with this one because I do like more shimmer/metallic lid shades.
There are complaints about fallout since the shadows are soft. I do my eye shadow first, base makeup last, so I wipe off any fallout and it's not a problem.
I've had this since the first release and have pan on 5 shades. I like it. Would I repurchase? At this point there are a million red and berry toned palettes. Honestly, if/when I finish this I'd try a different brand. If this palette is your ideal color scheme I do think you will like it.

on 4/5/2017 4:04:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my first palette from AOBH. I wanted to try something a bit more different than the everyday nudes I wear, like the Urban Decay Naked 2 & Naked Basics, respectfully. The quality of the pigmentation is impressive. I find the product similar to NARS shadows. Although, I really don't like the felt packaging. I feel that as soon as I put pallette in my makeup case, it's going to get so disgusting.The Buon Fresco, Primavera, Vermier and Antique bronze are absolutely stunning. However, I highly doubt I will ever wear Love Letter and Venetian Red. Overall, this is a great buy for those who is looking for something a little more adventurous and really likes to play up the eye.

on 3/21/2017 5:23:00 PM

Love the shades, perfect pigmentation and blends easily. One of my "go-tos".

Editing my review: after a year of having this palette and wanting to love it so bad it just doesn’t work. I’m an NC 15 and the colours DEFINITELY wear ME. It just doesn’t look right and no matter what I do they muddy up into a mess. I will keep trying... I bought myself too faced sweet peach and they work way better for my cool toned skin and blue eyes.

on 9/13/2016 1:34:00 PM

This is a very nice set of shadows. Warm toned, they blend well and there is a nice array in terms of types of consistencies. The pigmentation is crazy but with that comes fall out so be warned. These colors certainly go well with this winter's trend of reddish hues and since I have always been a fan of warmer shades I am pleased to see them here. [Caveat: To be honest, however, I feel that there are a couple of shadows that look very similar to each other or at least come off that way when blended on the eye.] Overall I would recommend this palette if you like the warmer, reddish colors in shadows. Although a bit more expensive than some other Anastasia shadow collections, this is probably worth the money.

on 8/13/2016 9:14:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

Love hate relationship with this palette. Love the variety of shades, blendability, and packaging. However I hate that when you barely touch your brush in the matte shades, TONS of powder goes flying everywhere. I feel like it's wasting product and I end up having to blow it away. The shimmery shadows don't do that. That being said, you can create a lot of different eye looks with this palette which I appreciate.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

There's a lot I love about this palette. The shade range, names, softness, pigment, and the Renaissance theme. It's a beautiful palette for fall, but to me the shades are not what I'd wear for summer. What I don't like is the price increase, the fact that this is listed as only good for six months (yes, just six months), the amount you get total seems like a rip off, and the kick up of fallout. If you use the brush it comes with you're going to hit pan in no time and waste a lot of shadow. What you want to do is go in with a flat brush or an extremely soft blending brush, and barely tap each shadow to get the pigment on it.